Article of Interest-contaminated medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glowwyrm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In light of the pet food contamination, now we have medicine contaminated with diethylene glycol. This article may require you to login, you may want to use one of bugmenot.com's logins if it does.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/world/americas/06poison.htm?_r=2&pagewanted=1&oref=slogin

The above article's timing probably had something to do with this:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ll=chi-newsnationworld-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

Members don't see this ad.

Medications have always held some weird fascination for those who like to mess with people - the Tylenol contamination thing from decades ago. That was purposeful though.

Likewise, there are always 1 or 2 reports per year of contaminated or misbranded medications which have been tampered with at the source of raw materials, somewhere along the manufacturing line, etc......

This has been a huge headache for those of us in hospitals particularly or those who use lots of "expensive" or "high end" medications - Epogen, Procrit, etc. They now have new seals which apparently cannot be duplicated - so the manufacturer says. But, at least half the recalls are due to a contaminated product.

So - now we have the new Drug Pedigree law, which takes effect within a year. You'll be able to trace the drug from the raw materials to the final product. There are some places you don't want any part of your drug to come from!!!!

It baffles me why some will still buy herbal stuff from who knows where.....

The pedigree law is such a pain in the butt too...Some of the measures are very anti-pharmacy, especially with returns policy but I fully understand change needs to start somewhere. From now on, nothing gets ordered unless it is absolutely needed cause you won't be able to return it.

If anything though, this whole melanine scandle has brought to light how easy it can be to damage/destroy our food supply. Unless there is more funding for the FDA, this will more or less become a reality one day. Count on it...

Is there anything that's not contaminated? Thank God my cat's pet food wasn't on the list but then they took away my favorite peanut butter. Now this. I know there's strict rules on this but if this keeps up, there won't be anything left that's not recalled or contaminated.