Article on suit between residents and AAMC regarding match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's always advisable to post a little portion of the article so people can get an idea what it's about....

WASHINGTON, Aug. 17 ? The nation's medical establishment has grown increasingly anxious about an antitrust suit contending that residents are forced to participate in a system that ensures they work long hours and receive low pay.

Medical schools and teaching hospitals, the principal defendants, are so worried that in recent weeks they have asked their allies in the Senate to enact legislation that would derail the suit, inoculating them from damages that might otherwise run into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

The defendants maintain that the suit, filed by several young doctors, has no merit, and express confidence that they would prevail in court. But they are clearly troubled by the possibility the suit could upend the decades-old system of medical residents' selection and deployment around the country.

The defendants have also hired lobbyists with previous connections to two senators who have been most directly involved in the effort to introduce such legislation: Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York and Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts, both Democrats.

At issue is the National Resident Matching Program, known in medical circles as the Match. Every March, a computer determines where new graduates of medical schools will spend the next several years as residents, gaining experience and honing their skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an applicant, I'm actually all for the match because it would just be too chaotic to apply for residency without it. One GI fellow told me about how crazy it is applying for GI fellowships without the match, because programs would offer him a spot and give him one week to decide while he hadn't even interviewed at all of the places that he wanted to interview yet. The thing that makes me sick about that article is to see how "senator Hillary Clinton and Kennedy" were "on the same side of senior doctors", in trying to preserve the match. They don't care one bit about residents or doctors, they just want to maintain the match in order to keep paying doctors in training low wages for ridiculous amounts of work. "Free health care" for all is their motto, with the free part coming out of doctor's pockets. Hillary Clinton is the most anti-doctor politician I have ever heard of, I don't know why she hates us so much.

from the nytimes article: "It's no secret to residents that they were being mistreated," Mr. Marek said. "Sometimes it takes a lawyer to educate people about a legal right." :laugh: the thought of lawyers educator doctors.

Originally posted by ckent
Hillary Clinton is the most anti-doctor politician I have ever heard of, I don't know why she hates us so much.

Very early in her universal health-care fiasco, she tried to get a some doctors to weigh in on her plan. They didn't move fast enough for her liking, so she cut doctors out of the process entirely ...