As a high school student what is the process?

Started by YoloCat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

YoloCat

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a Canadian high school student wanting to get info about pursuing a career in medical in the Caribbean what exactly are the stages after high school? Ex: 1) 4 years pre med 2) 4 years MS 3) Residency
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First step is to stop looking into Carribean medical schools as you first choice....

And yes they are exactly how your example is.

Wait they are? I thought they were less time not 8 years, I heard talk about it being 5 years but wasn't too sure. The example was just the process here in Canada 😳. But mind expanding a bit on why I should put the Caribbean as a later priority?
 
Wait they are? I thought they were less time not 8 years, I heard talk about it being 5 years but wasn't too sure. The example was just the process here in Canada 😳. But mind expanding a bit on why I should put the Caribbean as a later priority?

Do some reasearch into it on this forum. You will see a lot. Look for schools in USA, Canada, or even Europe/Australia before Caribbean.
 
Wait they are? I thought they were less time not 8 years, I heard talk about it being 5 years but wasn't too sure. The example was just the process here in Canada 😳. But mind expanding a bit on why I should put the Caribbean as a later priority?

4 years for an undergraduate degree (probably in biological sciences of some kind) -> MCAT -> 2 years of basic science med school -> Step 1 -> 1 year of clinical clerkships in a hospital with shelf exams-> Step 2CS -> Step 2 CK -> 1 year of elective rotations in hospitals -> Residency application$ -> Interviews -> Copious amount of drinking to deal with the anxiety -> Yay, residency -> Graduate -> Boooo, residency.

Caribbean schools are not viewed as highly as US and Canadian medical schools by residency programs, thus have a lower residency placement rate than US/Canadian schools. They also have a higher attrition rate. These and other factors make them a more risky proposition for prospective medical students that wish to practice in the US or Canada.