As a new M1 from a state school, what should I know now/start doing to make myself as viable a candidate for prestigious and competitive residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CupcakeCarabiner

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to position myself as favorably as possible to have my pick when the time comes. I know a lot is uncertain with STEP 1 potentially being pass/fail since this was the biggest metric used in selection (from what I have read) but I would love to hear other advice!

Also, I am (as of day 1 lol, most likely will change from what I hear) interested in competitive residencies- how early should I get started with research and is it bad if it's not in the specialty I end up applying for?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I want to position myself as favorably as possible to have my pick when the time comes. I know a lot is uncertain with STEP 1 potentially being pass/fail since this was the biggest metric used in selection (from what I have read) but I would love to hear other advice!

Also, I am (as of day 1 lol, most likely will change from what I hear) interested in competitive residencies- how early should I get started with research and is it bad if it's not in the specialty I end up applying for?
just M2 here, but i asked pretty much the same questions. I found out about research, so i will share what i was told on that subject:
1) any research is better than no research (even if it is in a completely unrelated subject)
2) if you are not sure exactly what specialty you will try to go into (and, majority of us are really not sure till we go through rotations), during M1 and M2 years its a great idea to shoot for projects that engulf several areas. for example, one of my projects was immunohistochemical evaluation of gliomas. SO that fits into pathology, into neurology, into cancer (so, IM sort of fits), into neurosurgery. One project, - a lot of specialties. You get the point.
I also heard from someone that clinical research projects are often more fruitful than bench ones, because it take less time to publish clinical research usually (or, at least, make a poster presentation). I am not sure how correct it is, but i see a point there as well. also, - even if you do not want to be a pathologist, checking with pathology department for research projects is always a good idea. In my biased opinion, they often have something going on, and you can do pathology project pretty quickly. Plus any specialty, any medical condition is a "pathology", you know?

3) if you are given several options, select the project you are more passionate about, - you will naturally be more invested in it, and you will push it further. If you feel neutral about both, - choose the PI who has a bigger name, more well known, and publishes a lot. A recommendation letter from him/her might go further, since he/she is probably more well know. Plus PIs like this publish more often. That being said, pay attention to how much time that PI invests into his/her students. are they a good teacher? do they invest time in people? those are very important. Maybe more important than the name sometimes... for you to decide though.

4) dont be afraid to email ppl. Go to the page of your school, go to research section, and look through research labs. Look at the projects, an email a few people. Be very professional, make a short specific email (just a few lines), attach your resume. Tell them you are interested in research position and ask if they have any opening OR if there is a place they can recommend/people you can talk to. I had a situation when i emailed someone, and they said they cannot help me. But then, 2 weeks later, someone else emailed me, saying that that first person mentioned that i was looking, and they took me in. So, ask politely, humbly, but confidently. You are a medical student, you study there, you have a full right to ask for an opportunity, you know? Dont email more than 1-2 ppl at a time, because if you email 4-5 and several say "yes" it might get awkward, because you will have to reject ppl....

5) if you start on a project, ask the PI if you can ask another medical student to join. I learnt that it is a great opportunity to split the work. I have always been the lone wolf, but recently i started working with another classmate (she is not even my friend), but we really complement each other, and i am so happy we joined efforts. Now we have 3 projects, and each one of us can put all the three on the resume. Alone i would never be able to do even two. So think about it.

Reactions: 5 users

Right now your job is to master med school. Don't think about Boards OR residencies.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not much during M1 and M2 anymore, given that most med schools are P/F for the first 2 years and Step 1 is also going to be P/F. Just chill the first 2 years of med school since with the P/F system working harder won't separate you from any students!! Research for a competitive specialty is during M1 and M2 is also low yield since it may be useless if you don't end up apply to the specialty you do research in. I wouldn't commit to research until you get your Step 2 CK score and make sure the score is competitive for your chosen specialty (I've seen plenty of med students dedicate a tremendous amount of time into research during M1 and M2 and then have to dump it all once they get their Step score back and it's simply too low for a competitive specialty). Since that won't happen until at earliest at end of M3 year, plan to take a research year between M3 and M4 at that point...

Also, don't pursue "competitive" specialties because they pay more right now. Incoming M1s as a whole are heavily weighted toward wanting go into Neurosurgery, plastics, ortho, ENT, derm, etc... but a tiny fraction of them actually match into those specialties by M4. This is highly uncertain and will likely change drastically in the future. For example, all the high-pay procedural specialties of plastics, derm, and GI that rely on elective procedures got hit hard with COVID this year with many being unemployed or making less half before. And CMS reimbursement cuts can happen at any time.

Last edited:
(continuation)
6) when choosing a partner for a project - dont worry about the partner to be your friend. I would focus more on communication styles, and on how well you compliment each other. For example that person i work with is a smart, outgoing, charismatic, hardworking person who gets things done. I am abrasive, introverted, and people dont like me too much (i am working on all of those). But i get things done very fast, i am good with writing, and science stuff (biochem and math background), and i am good at putting things together. I am sort of a "doer". Good at figuring things out. So me and her complement each other really really well. We are so different, i am not sure we can even ever be friends, but partners - oh yes. So, think about these factors.

Reactions: 1 user
7) during the first semester focus on studying alone. I dont care how smart you are, - there will be a certain adjustment period, that will be very stressful. what you CAN do, is find a journal club on campus that is run by a researcher, - in my school the PhD who ran the club also helped the students assigned to the club find research projects for summer. That was incredibly helpful. Otherwise, - first semester, focus on school.
8) closer to the winter break find out if there is any kind of summer research scholarship programs that are ran by your school, - it is a great way to make more and get a poster out of it. Often those have deadlines in late winter/early spring, so you want to keep an eye on them. it is definitely worth it. After winter break, since by then you will probably figure out your studying style, it will probably be a good idea to start emailing PIs to hunt for research.

Stand out by being the person to ask good questions. Also, try to be decent to EVERYONE. Being helpful, kind, and well-liked will benefit you in the long run. If you have a reputation as someone who is good to work with, you will have no problem finding research opportunities.

Not much during M1 and M2 anymore, given that most med schools are P/F for the first 2 years and Step 1 is also going to be P/F. Just chill the first 2 years of med school since with the P/F system working harder won't separate you from any students!! Research for a competitive specialty is during M1 and M2 is also low yield since it may be useless if you don't end up apply to the specialty you do research in. I wouldn't commit to research until you get your Step 2 CK score and make sure the score is competitive for your chosen specialty (I've seen plenty of med students dedicate a tremendous amount of time into research during M1 and M2 and then have to dump it all once they get their Step score back and it's simply too low for a competitive specialty). Since that won't happen until at earliest at end of M3 year, plan to take a research year between M3 and M4 at that point...

Also, don't pursue "competitive" specialties because they pay more right now. Incoming M1s as a whole are heavily weighted toward wanting go into Neurosurgery, plastics, ortho, ENT, derm, etc... but a tiny fraction of them actually match into those specialties by M4. This is highly uncertain and will likely change drastically in the future. For example, all the high-pay procedural specialties of plastics, derm, and GI that rely on elective procedures got hit hard with COVID this year with many being unemployed or making less half before. And CMS reimbursement cuts can happen at any time.
Just an M2, but wouldn't early research in general still be helpful (although research within that specialty later on would be advised)?

Just an M2, but wouldn't early research in general still be helpful (although research within that specialty later on would be advised)?
yeah, thats what everyone told me. Especially now, with P/F, it could help to stand out. I actually asked a few attendings who are in hiring positions, and they said that if during M1-M2 years you have several different projects that focus on different things, - no one cares. Then you start doing more in your field. What might look just a bit weird if you have 5 research projects, all in one field, over M1-M3, and then in M4 you apply for a completely different field that on paper you have nothing for. So, that might raise some eyebrows, but i am sure that, if you have a good reason and can explain it, it would probably be fine.

Thank you so much for your valuable help!
My school is actually still graded, so I guess I will have to work pretty hard still- also, isn't AOA a huge deal? So I'd need to be in the top 5% of my class or something like that?

• Sad
Thank you so much for your valuable help!
My school is actually still graded, so I guess I will have to work pretty hard still- also, isn't AOA a huge deal? So I'd need to be in the top 5% of my class or something like that?
It varies per school. Mine for AOA is top 20% (or 15%, I forget)

yeah, thats what everyone told me. Especially now, with P/F, it could help to stand out. I actually asked a few attendings who are in hiring positions, and they said that if during M1-M2 years you have several different projects that focus on different things, - no one cares. Then you start doing more in your field. What might look just a bit weird if you have 5 research projects, all in one field, over M1-M3, and then in M4 you apply for a completely different field that on paper you have nothing for. So, that might raise some eyebrows, but i am sure that, if you have a good reason and can explain it, it would probably be fine.
Well that's reassuring! I've got nothing going for me unfortunately lol

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
931445882_preview_111.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I'm in a very similar situation (starting MS1), and I'm still unsure what to do with my time. "Don't worry about this! Focus on school!" doesn't feel like useful advice, since I don't really know how much my grades actually matter (my school has honors, high-pass, and pass). I think my entire approach to studying would change if I was trying to maximize my class rank as opposed to merely pass.

I feel like much of the speculation is reasonable. Of course, something must take the place of Step-1 as having the highest weight: probably either research or Step-2. But, if I can, I'd still rather hear it straight from the people who actually make these decisions.

Do you guys know of any comments made (on SDN or elsewhere) about the consequences of Step-1 P/F by actual "residency ADCOMs" (I'm not sure if that's the right term, but you know what I mean)?

I'm in a very similar situation (starting MS1), and I'm still unsure what to do with my time. "Don't worry about this! Focus on school!" doesn't feel like useful advice, since I don't really know how much my grades actually matter (my school has honors, high-pass, and pass). I think my entire approach to studying would change if I was trying to maximize my class rank as opposed to merely pass.

I feel like much of the speculation is reasonable. Of course, something must take the place of Step-1 as having the highest weight: probably either research or Step-2. But, if I can, I'd still rather hear it straight from the people who actually make these decisions.

Do you guys know of any comments made (on SDN or elsewhere) about the consequences of Step-1 P/F by actual "residency ADCOMs" (I'm not sure if that's the right term, but you know what I mean)?

Grades don't matter unless you want AOA and grades are part of the nomination criteria at your school.

Program directors have said that step 2 will be the new metric for sure.

Program directors have said that step 2 will be the new metric for sure.

Do you have a source for this?

I don't doubt you; I'd just like to read their complete thoughts on it.

Do you have a source for this?

I don't doubt you; I'd just like to read their complete thoughts on it.

SDN and reddit, lol. Yeah, it's just the usual "I talked to the PD of my ortho program and he was pissed, lol. He said they're 100% going to be using step 2 now"

SDN and reddit, lol. Yeah, it's just the usual "I talked to the PD of my ortho program and he was pissed, lol. He said they're 100% going to be using step 2 now"

Hmm. But no primary sources, I assume lol? Thanks anyway. I'll keep looking myself and report back if I find something.

Aren't there PDs (or at least other committee members) that frequent SDN? Or is that just for the pre-meds?

Reactions: 3 users

This is wrong. Don’t start research after you get your step 2 score back.... that is way too late and you wouldNt be able to get anything tangible on your application. If you want a competitive competitive specialty, you need to be able to start research early while also doing well in school. Even if it is in a different field, research is still valuable

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm. But no primary sources, I assume lol? Thanks anyway. I'll keep looking myself and report back if I find something.

Aren't there PDs (or at least other committee members) that frequent SDN? Or is that just for the pre-meds?

There's @gamerEMdoc (associate PD), but I don't know of anyone else. EM already prioritizes step 2 and SLOEs though, so I don't know if much will change as far as EM goes.

This is wrong. Don’t start research after you get your step 2 score back.... that is way too late and you wouldNt be able to get anything tangible on your application. If you want a competitive competitive specialty, you need to be able to start research early while also doing well in school. Even if it is in a different field, research is still valuable

Yeah it's totally wrong. I said the same thing in another thread. If you want to wait until after step 2, you better pray a spot miraculously opens up for a research year (which it likely won't). The only other option would be to hope your school will allow you to delay graduation and do a research year after M4.

Last edited: