As a non-US IMG, do a graduate degree before applying to US residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeff509

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a medical student from Mexico, currently in my last year of medical school. My school year ends in January 2021 (February 2020-January 2021) so I can't participate in this years match, so I have nearly a whole year that can go to "waste"; I am thinking of using it to start a master's degree in France which would last for two years (the year I have to wait either way and one more). I am in the top one percentile of my graduating class (6th place out of 879), I have taken Step 1 (259, which I understand is not bad), and will take Step 2 this year, I have US clinical experience (both an observership and a hands on elective), and I am currently doing clinical research. I want to apply to General Surgery, preferably at an academic program.

My question is: in your opinion, would having this graduate degree (and the research and work experience that goes along with it) increase my chances of landing a general surgery residency in the United States or would it just be a waste of time, if my ultimate goal is to apply for residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Waste. The further you get from graduation, the less likely you are to ultimately match. You stand a decent chance with your current stats and experience, but the masters won't make a difference either way.

Try to get a research position in the US, or continue doing research in your home country and try to present it at some major US conferences.

Reactions: 1 user