Residency specialty transfer as an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ohellothere

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am PGY1 FMG (H-1b visa) at a good university affiliated IM program who has been thinking about switching into psych. Although I am performing well in IM, and adore my co-residents, faculty, and PD, I can't help but feel regret that I won't be a psychiatrist down this path.

I have competitive scores (250+) and psych research (multiple pubs). Assuming my PD is supportive, is applying through ERAS this cycle even a possibility? Or should I just stick it out with IM and apply for psych residency afterwards?

Members don't see this ad.

I am PGY1 FMG (H-1b visa) at a good university affiliated IM program who has been thinking about switching into psych. Although I am performing well in IM, and adore my co-residents, faculty, and PD, I can't help but feel regret that I won't be a psychiatrist down this path.

I have competitive scores (250+) and psych research (multiple pubs). Assuming my PD is supportive, is applying through ERAS this cycle even a possibility? Or should I just stick it out with IM and apply for psych residency afterwards?

Having the visa can make this a very difficult thing to do. The easy way would be complete your three years in IM and then apply for Psychiatry. Then if you don't get a spot, you still have IM to go back to.

For any psych program, you would need one that would be willing to sponsor your H1b visa to be eligible. H1b visas are apparently usually good for up to 6 years. If you can match to a psych program after finishing IM, they may be able to work out something where you can complete it in 3 years instead of 4 and use some of your IM training to make up for the remaining time.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't speak to your likelihood of transferring to a psych residency, but another option to consider - there are a number of primary care psychiatry fellowships out there that give PCPs more experience managing more complex psychiatric illness. Addiction med fellowship may also be of interest to you.

Reactions: 1 user