As a pre-vet I have...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

As a pre-vet I have...

• Been thrown out of a bar for drunken stupidity

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Puked from drinking too much

Votes: 126 80.8%
  • Smoked pot/weed/MJ

Votes: 84 53.8%
  • Used heroin

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Used LSD/acid

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Used Ecstasy

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • Used cocaine

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Used crack

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Freebased in Whitney's bathroom

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Was convicted of a drug-related crime

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Was convicted of DUI

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Drove while drunk - got away with it

Votes: 62 39.7%
  • Was featured on "To Catch a Predator"

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Cheated on exams - got away with it

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • Cheated on exams - got caught

• Had the clap/chlamydia/gonorrhea

• Exceeded 100 mph

Votes: 71 45.5%
  • Hired a prostitute

• Hired an underage prostitute

• Spent time in a Thai prison for one or more of the above

• Total voters
so people cheating on an exam bothers you more than people drunk driving...

For a veterinary student, yes.

A DUI won't usually get you kicked out of veterinary school. Cheating on an exam usually will.

Members don't see this ad.

Someone else cheating on an exam isn't going to kill you.... but their drink driving might!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems you left off a choice or two, that the pre-allo folks had.... for example, "Hired an underage prositute of the same sex." :laugh:

<-- clearly a VERY booring person since very few of these apply... :sleep:
:laugh: I'm glad to see my thread has been reborn over here..... :smuggrin:

For a veterinary student, yes.

A DUI won't usually get you kicked out of veterinary school. Cheating on an exam usually will.

Cheating on an exam could get you kicked out of vet school but driving drunk could kill you...usually you are the voice of reason here, but I think this is a bad call.

I think (maybe) the point Bill59 was making was regarding which would be worse in a professional sense. I can't imagine anyone would say glancing over at another students paper to bring your 90-->92 is a worse societal "crime" than driving intoxicated & potentially harming innocent people.

With that said, cheating is NOT cool either. . . but, I'd rather everyone went out and cheated on their finals tomorrow - then drive home after a dozen tequila shots tomorrow night.

Cyrille is my voice of reason

I think (maybe) the point Bill59 was making was regarding which would be worse in a professional sense. I can't imagine anyone would say glancing over at another students paper to bring your 90-->92 is a worse societal "crime" than driving intoxicated & potentially harming innocent people.

With that said, cheating is NOT cool either. . . but, I'd rather everyone went out and cheated on their finals tomorrow - then drive home after a dozen tequila shots tomorrow night.

Alright alright I can agree with this

Bill, are you a vet? I've noticed that you know a lot about the profession but I didn't notice you apply anywhere...wait a minute, it says you're academic faculty...

:idea: an adcom?

I wasn't condoning drunk driving. Or smoking dope. Drunk driving is a foolish thing to do, can get you arrested and kill you or someone else. (So can speeding BTW)

Getting arrested for marijuana is a controlled substance violation and can make it very difficult to get a state or DEA license.

But cheating on exams is taken very seriously by schools and with good reason -- it threatens academic integrity.

But it seems we disagree, which is fine.

Cyrille, I'm a vet at a teaching hospital. But I'm not on the admissions committee and have nothing to do with admissions. So feel free to proceed to Whitney's bathroom.

The drunk driving bothered me too - I know someone who was killed by a drunk driver, and that will forever prevent me from doing it.

As for the pot smoking, some of the smartest people I know smoke every day. (Personally, I don't feel that I can spare ANY brain cells!)

Cheating - well, I have suspected people in my earlier classes of having done so but could never prove it, and I always found it funny how screwed they were when the reached the upper level classes! :laugh: I don't trust anyone else's answers enough to ever change my own, and besides, I'm not paying 52K a year to go to MN and copy off anyone else!

Cyrille, I'm a vet at a teaching hospital. But I'm not on the admissions committee and have nothing to do with admissions. So feel free to proceed to Whitney's bathroom.
:lol:

sorry i was so late on this one, but my guess is that this is a "have you ever?" thread, not a "i do this every friday night" thread. maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
there is always room on applications to explain things or negative events in your life. depending on why your friend was in jail, i don't think it will be impossible to get into vet school.

Although it may be possible, committing a felony would probably make it rather improbable that a person would be admitted. The adcomms already have to sort through hundreds of well-qualified applicants that do not have felonies. Also, depending on what the offense is, an adcomm might be hesitant as to all of the ethical decisions vets have to face.

Ah, you'll have to add me to the list of 'boring' people....100% sober!

As many of these people drive drunk, looks like I'm your designated driver!

Only checked one! How boring am I? :laugh:

BUMP!

haaaaaaaaahahahaha!

Hey.. this doesn't have anything to do with our PMs, does it? :laugh: I don't use crack! LOL

Oh but with the anonymity, I suppose I could be one of the 3 and no one would be the wiser.

I think that just makes it an incomplete list! Cause I have done none of the above but I am definitely not a goody-goody and i have had my share of fun as a pre-vet :cool:!

I'm disappointed in these results. I would have thought that a group of people such as pre-vet students would be much more serious and responsible.

:eek:

Just because you're a pre-vet, doesn't mean you cannot have a life. And the term "pre-vet" can encompass many many years of immaturity. Besides, there is no box to check that says, "As a pre-vet I regret some of these decisions". Lastly, as a pre-vet, perhaps we should be less judgemental :)

I'm disappointed in these results. I would have thought that a group of people such as pre-vet students would be much more serious and responsible.

:eek:

get over it.

That makes two of us!! Yay for 100% sober people :laugh:

That's me! I've never had a drop of alcohol. I've never done any sort of drugs, and I don't partake in "other activities" that the general highschool/college public enjoys.

And proud of it, too. What a waste of time. Seriously, there are better things to do.

:cool:

Just because you're a pre-vet, doesn't mean you cannot have a life.

Your definition of "having a life" is getting drunk, puking until your head spins, and not remembering anything you did?

Oh yes, because that's what the cool people do.

My point to my statement was that just because you don't drink, doesn't mean that others cannot. You may not agree with it, but that doesn't mean you should belittle people for it. Yes, I have drank till I puked, til my head spun, til I didn't remember anything thereafter. Do I regret it? No. Will I do it again, probably. Did I drive drunk? No. Should you judge me for it? No. Do I judge you? No. Leave it.

That's me! I've never had a drop of alcohol. I've never done any sort of drugs, and I don't partake in "other activities" that the general highschool/college public enjoys.

And proud of it, too. What a waste of time. Seriously, there are better things to do.

:cool:

Same here.

My ex-roommate is in nursing. She drinks, smokes, does pot, skips class, and "gets around". She flunked chemistry, only went to biology class for a month, and yet, she's still in nursing. Most of the younger people who are in nursing are like this... if I were ever dying, I would rather die then have people like that lay a finger one me. I've met a couple of older women who are in nursing. They are sweethearts and are very dedicated. They don't half-*** it through school or half-*** it through life either. My mom is an RN and a supervisor at a nursing home. If she could quit, she would, because she can't stand the people that she works with. She works with these type of people and it shows in their work. They start so much drama and more than a few times, it has affected the residences.

When I went and did my vet-tech interview, the people who I met were all amazing and dedicated... the pre-vets that I have met are a bit stuck-up, immature and hypocritical. That is one of the reasons why I didn't go to the agriculture college that 99.9% of the pre-vets go to... I'm not that kind of a person and I don't really fit in. Going on Facebook and seeing pictures of your competition getting loaded on a Saturday night is not very charming, and it sucks that they will probably get in over someone like me, who is all around a decent person.

We all slip up... but when you see somebody doing these things on a daily basis because it is "cool" or that "all college kids do it", that frightens me.

Yes this poll is for fun... but its frightening.

You sound like lots of fun, if fun means judgmental.

No one is judging you for not partaking, so judging others for their choices just makes you look like an uptight arse.

I have no opinion either way on people's choices, I just believe that they are none of my business, or yours either for that matter.

I'm with Rexo. Possibly at the bar, heh.

My point to my statement was that just because you don't drink, doesn't mean that others cannot. You may not agree with it, but that doesn't mean you should belittle people for it. Yes, I have drank till I puked, til my head spun, til I didn't remember anything thereafter. Do I regret it? No. Will I do it again, probably. Did I drive drunk? No. Should you judge me for it? No. Do I judge you? No. Leave it.

Don't even waste your time :cool:

Same here.

My ex-roommate is in nursing. She drinks, smokes, does pot, skips class, and "gets around". She flunked chemistry, only went to biology class for a month, and yet, she's still in nursing. Most of the younger people who are in nursing are like this... if I were ever dying, I would rather die then have people like that lay a finger one me. I've met a couple of older women who are in nursing. They are sweethearts and are very dedicated. They don't half-*** it through school or half-*** it through life either.

When I went and did my vet-tech interview, the people who I met were all amazing and dedicated... the pre-vets that I have met are a bit stuck-up, immature and hypocritical. That is one of the reasons why I didn't go to the agriculture college that 99.9% of the pre-vets go to... I'm not that kind of a person and I don't really fit in. Going on Facebook and seeing pictures of your competition getting loaded on a Saturday night is not very charming, and it sucks that they will probably get in over someone like me, who is all around a decent person.

We all slip up... but when you see somebody doing these things on a daily basis because it is "cool" or that "all college kids do it", that frightens me.

Yes this poll is for fun... but its frightening.

:bow: I whole-heartedly agree.

Alright guys, lighten up! I may be wrong on this, but I think some answers to this poll are posted in jest. What? Pre-vets, joke around? Unheard of! :eek:

thanks fargeese! i'll tip my glass to that :D

*moderator warning...

play nice!

HAHA! You guys got in trouble!

And oh yeah :corny: (just because I haven't seen this one yet)

Doh! Busted. :laugh:

Looking back on this thread, there are so many other interesting and applicable options that could have been put on the poll.

Just because you're a pre-vet, doesn't mean you cannot have a life.

Nothing on that list is indicative of "having a life". One can have a plenty reasonable life without anything on that list.

I drink, but never till I've had to puke. Ive also been known to go a whee bit over 100 mph...

Your definition of "having a life" is getting drunk, puking until your head spins, and not remembering anything you did?

Sniff sniff

You have burst my bubble of coolness :(

But in all seriousness...I don't understand how people still do those things. Once in a while, whoops, drinking too much? Sure, especially after an exam. But partying EVERY weekend like an undergrad? Sheesh. I feel like an old lady, but "kids these days....argh!"

Originally Posted by Catch91

get over it.

That's worth a ROFL-COPTER sized laugh

my 2 cents: :)

if you haven't ever experienced it... how can you really judge...?

never try to find perfection in anyone... you'll just end up hating everyone!

But partying EVERY weekend like an undergrad? Sheesh. I feel like an old lady, but "kids these days....argh!"

I think some of these people ARE still undergrads? At least I am ... maybe I'm interpreting your comment incorrectly.

And while I checked three things, I'm going to claim that I can still be responsible and a good vet. In fact, one of the vets I worked for (who I adore and want to be when I "grow up") had a rip-roaring 4th of july party, and the entire office was hung-over the next day. Best vet I've ever met. So ...

Addition: I'm one of the "thrown out of a bar" girls, but that tends to happen if you go with your 40 person pledge class for a sorority, and you buy out the bar on a tab.

Sniff sniff

You have burst my bubble of coolness :(

But in all seriousness...I don't understand how people still do those things. Once in a while, whoops, drinking too much? Sure, especially after an exam. But partying EVERY weekend like an undergrad? Sheesh. I feel like an old lady, but "kids these days....argh!"

Originally Posted by Catch91

get over it.

That's worth a ROFL-COPTER sized laugh

There's nothing wrong with going out every weekend. If people can do that and still get good grades, I don't see why anyone should judge that. I go out every weekend and I think it's great for stress relief and to relax/have fun.

I think some of these people ARE still undergrads? At least I am ... maybe I'm interpreting your comment incorrectly.

And while I checked three things, I'm going to claim that I can still be responsible and a good vet. In fact, one of the vets I worked for (who I adore and want to be when I "grow up") had a rip-roaring 4th of july party, and the entire office was hung-over the next day. Best vet I've ever met. So ...

Addition: I'm one of the "thrown out of a bar" girls, but that tends to happen if you go with your 40 person pledge class for a sorority, and you buy out the bar on a tab.

Yeah, the title is technically is things you've done while you were a pre-vet.

What sorority are you in?

(a) I cannot believe I used rip-roaring. Marked myself as a wisconsin-ite with that one :)

(b) I'm in Alpha Phi at Cornell -- which is a huge drinking school to begin with. As everyone points out, we have a school-sponcered day of drunkenness. That's how no. 2 on the list occurred. (For those counting, driving 100+ is the last one).