As it turns out, hard work doesn't pay off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hard Work Pays Off

Leo the Lion says Ger
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
well folks, I took the DAT, didn't do so hot. A little background, I am yet to take orgo II and English is my second language and I make a mean pasta dish, so I hope all these wonderful qualities would get me into dental school.
On a serious note, the test sucked, I was not prepared for how specific it was and PAT killed every ounce of joy I had left, speaking of ounces, there was a question about a Kg, a pound and an oz and you had to make them all add up, somehow??
so yeah, study hard kids, good luck, I hope you all will do amazing, for me I studied a lot and very hard but my brain was like a brick and the information was moisturizer, it just didn't work out for me.
BIO 20- a lot of questions about trimesters for some reason?? like what develops at a certain trimester and such and they basically went ham on the hardy-weinburg
Gen chem 18- balancing the world's strangest redox reaction, did it 3 times, none were the answer choice xD
Orgo 18- find the most obscure reaction that literally no one finds important, and study at least 3 of those. no SN1 E2, no alkene stuff, no fun alkyne synthesis literally just one aldol and a bunch of weird stuff
PAT 16- that one time I filled my water cup with soda at a fast food restaurant, yeah God remembered that. seriously don't take this section lightly like I did, do all of bootcamp and then some
QR 16- ran out of time and picked C for everything, then again I spent like 3 days studying for QR because of the whole not taking orgo II thing
RC 20- wooo, ESL who? I am kind of proud of that one, I learned English literally 7 years ago so I'm pleased
GPA: 3.4
EC: research in a lab 600
research at a dental school 2 years
teaching elementary school math 2 years
Red cross volunteering 1 year
shadowing 100 hrs
volunteering at a hospital 90 hrs
student government vice president 1 year
so, yeah. its been real.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
hey girl, you did good. don't you worry. Like Rich says, you'll get in somewhere. :) congrats you are done.

thanks =) I miss that little chat group, I logged out once and I couldn't remember my password and it turns out, I misspelled my school e-mail (mixed my two schools up xD) so I haven't been able to log in again but yall seemed prepared so good luck to you! you'll kill it, I'm sure

Reactions: 1 user
Hillarious breakdown! Your personal qualities will shine through during the interview. I m sure you will get in somewhere with a great PS, and if you happen to be unlucky you can always retake for a better chance!!! Not the end of the world

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Noooooooooo!!! I'm so sorry :(! Hey we're PAT and BIO twins at least xD. It seems like you got a pretty difficult version of the test. I know you've worked hard and this must suck :(. That being said, it's mostly QR that's holding you back, your science scores are decent and so is your RC! Your ECs are solid too! We have about the same GPA lol.

Reactions: 1 users
If anything I think you should have waited until after OCHEM II to take your DAT, but an 18 is still a decent score. QR is gonna hurt though, but as long as your entire application is well-balanced, you should get a few interviews.

Haha, I chuckled at the mean pasta dish bit. Definitely a wonderful quality to have (I loooooove me a good pasta dish) :p

Jeeze, your version of the exam sounds like an absolute nightmare. I can't believe you didn't get any SN1/E1/E2/SN2 type of questions on your orgo and several questions about trimesters? I feel you on the conversions in QR. I remember having one question that was similar and I also ran out of time. Also, your EC's look good! Congrats on being done! :) The worst is over.

Damn man...

Your exam had all the topics that my exam DID NOT have, which are all the topics that I would hate to have :(

Nature of the beast of "standardized" testing I guess.

Congrats on being done :)

EDIT: Do not let some computerized exam that spits out scores define you. Sit tight with your current score/applications, and if need be, kill this damn exam the next time

Last edited:
This exam doesn't define who you are! Take ochem II and tackle this exam again! Your ECs looks amazing btw. so jelly

Damn man...

Your exam had all the topics that my exam DID NOT have, which are all the topics that I would hate to have :(

Nature of the beast of "standardized" testing I guess.

Congrats on being done :)

EDIT: Do not let some computerized exam that spits out scores define you. Sit tight with your current score/applications, and if need be, kill this damn exam the next time

Hmm I took the DAT yesterday as well and got an 18 on orgo too. I remember going through it and wondering where all my mechanism questions were, since that is what I studied the most for! We got the same crappy questions lol

well folks, I took the DAT...
Hey R, keep your head up. You didn't do above average like many of the losers here on SDN who score in the 95th percentile, but your scores aren't bad in any sort of way, they are just average. Your lowest scores are in the 2 lowest weighted sections. Your EC activities put mine to shame and although your GPA is not a 3.8, it still is around average for acceptances! I wish you studied QR more to bring up your AA but can't change the past. Schools will like the 20 in RC especially if english is your second language. It is definitely worth applying broadly and your EC's will definitely give you the little boost that I wish you had on the DAT. Message me if you want in on the group chat again or if you want to get into the post DAT waiting room, I think you'd love it there