ASCP quiz thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate these BS emails that send you unkown cases but dont tell you what the hell the answer is

http://memberlink.org/head_neck/player.html

Check out that case....
Is this a simple pleomorphic adenoma or carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma or something I didnt think of?

Members don't see this ad.

Dunno. Parts of it look like the pleomorphic adenoma I saw today but the gross picture and areas of it look like badness.

LADoc00 said:
I hate these BS emails that send you unkown cases but dont tell you what the hell the answer is

Check out that case....
Is this a simple pleomorphic adenoma or carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma or something I didnt think of?

I'll stick my head and neck out and say pleomorphic adenoma.

Doesn't it look almost exactly like this, from here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this an intermediate grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma?

Matte Kudesai said:
Is this an intermediate grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma?

No, a true muco ep is monomorphic and doesnt contain a funny stromal component. The lesion definitely has a part of pleomorphic adenoma to it because when you mess around with the interface you can see pop-ups of the author's notes for each slide and some say "PA." But she keeps mentioning "an invasive component in 'B' slides"... which on her images I dont see at all. PA+the word "invasive" implies a malignant transformation which is almost always of the epithelial rather than stromal component.

polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma

AKA

Lobular carcinoma of the minor salivary glands
Low grade papillary carcinoma of the palate
Polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma of minor salivary glands
Terminal duct carcinoma of the minor salivary glands

LADoc00 said:
...when you mess around with the interface you can see pop-ups of the author's notes for each slide and some say "PA." ...

I don't believe in the no-win scenario.

n8702.jpg

LADoc00 said:
PA+the word "invasive" implies a malignant transformation which is almost always of the epithelial rather than stromal component.
Can't a PA escape its capsule from time to time?

BTW, what's the significance of P63 here? Maybe we're dealing with an Adenoid Cystic.

Dr. Shrinker said:
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.

n8702.jpg

Can't a PA escape its capsule from time to time?

BTW, what's the significance of P63 here? Maybe we're dealing with an Adenoid Cystic.

Regardless of what you think the epithelial component is all about, how you would explain that myxomatous wierd stromal component?? It has to have a component of pleomorphic adenoma....p63 is basal cell/myoepthelial marker and a homolog of p53. The only purpose I could think of in using it here would be if she is trying to show a lack of a basal cell layer around the invasive focus. Ive never used p63 in salivary gland lesions, has anyone else?

Do you ever get to find out the answer to the case?

Doctor B. said:
Do you ever get to find out the answer to the case?

No, some gunner please email UPitt and find out.

LADoc00 said:

Check out that case....

First post on this site...
I agree with the posts on part A, but think that part B looks like an epithelial myoepithelial carcinoma. The myoepithelial cells being the ones with the clear cytoplasm, staining with p63.
I know that myopeithelial carcinoma arises sometimes in a background of pleomorphic adenoma, don´t know about epithelial myopithelial carcinoma.

dpdoc said:
First post on this site...
I agree with the posts on part A, but think that part B looks like an epithelial myoepithelial carcinoma. The myoepithelial cells being the ones with the clear cytoplasm, staining with p63.
I know that myopeithelial carcinoma arises sometimes in a background of pleomorphic adenoma, don´t know about epithelial myopithelial carcinoma.

holy caca. I think youre right. Nice one. I didnt even think about ep-myoep carcinoma arising in a PA, probably bc they are like 1 in 1000000000, but leave it to academia to find a case of it.

yaah said:
I saw a leiomyosarcoma which had metastasized to the brain today.

Okay....that was random. thanks for your contribution to this discussion.

I saw a monkey fly out of my butt on Friday night, but that might have been the hookah talking. :laugh: :laugh: