ASDOH or OHSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cam-MSU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like arizona's school alot more but portland is a sweet town and alot less expensive... What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I like arizona's school alot more but portland is a sweet town and alot less expensive... What should I do?

I have decided to go to OHSU over ASDOH (and a few other schools I got into) because: a) it's cheap (at least for me, with the WICHE program); b) I've heard great things about the program (despite how old the building is); c) even though ASDOH was recently given "Initial Accreditation," their multi-month "Intent to Withdraw" status concerns me (their program is relatively new and "developing"); and d) who wouldn't want to live in freakin' Portland??!!

I would personally chooses to go to Arizona over OHSU. Even though OHSU is cheaper for in state. The atmosphere and the attitude of the people at AZ is an opportunity that I would not pass up. I felt like Arizona was set in place for the students. Everything was set up to make it easy on the students. Because they are new and because they don't have tenured faculty there will probably be much less bureaucracy to deal with. I also feel like I would be better prepared to practice in the real world because of the time spent just working in public health clinics around the country which would save money in the long run.

That being said, if Arizona decides to send me an acceptance, I will be eating my OHSU deposit and going there. If not I will still be happy attending OHSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, talk about comparing apples to inflatable duckies. Those are two really different schools and really different towns. I'd say go to the school and city you think you'd be happiest living in. In my case, and sounds like for you too, it would be Portland. I mean, either way, you'll spend 4 years at either school and you'll be...a dentist.

thanks guys, I am pretty sure i will go with az because of the new school and such..

I have interviewed at both schools and the answer to your question is it depends on what type of environment you will thrive in as a student compared to the expense you are willing to take. I believe these two factors are more important than the city you live in since you won’t have much of a life during dental school. ASDOH seemed to be more focused on clinical excellence since they cram for the first part of the boards during the first year and have a lot of time with patients thereafter. OHSU seemed to be to be more concerned with academics than producing good clinicians. In other words, if you like the books, OHSU is a good choice, and if you like to work with your hands, ASDOH would be a better choice. That is my thought on the matter. Good luck.

OHSU seemed to be to be more concerned with academics than producing good clinicians. In other words, if you like the books, OHSU is a good choice, and if you like to work with your hands, ASDOH would be a better choice.

I'm curious, how did you get this impression? I would say that there is a very heavy clinical emphasis at OHSU... they definitely don't rush the academic side, but preclinical and clinical work is strong.

I came to that conclusion by visiting both schools and talking with the students and the faculty. I have no doubt that those who graduate from OHSU are clinically competent, I feel ASDOH gives you more hands-on experience. I also believe both are good schools.

cheaper, and/or where you'll be happier living

I came to that conclusion by visiting both schools and talking with the students and the faculty. I have no doubt that those who graduate from OHSU are clinically competent, I feel ASDOH gives you more hands-on experience. I also believe both are good schools.

I agree completely! I think OHSU students loose a lot of tough cases due to the fact that they have most specialty residencies. At this point AZ does not have any but I think they are getting some. I also think that doing all of your own lab work at OHSU is a waste of time that could be well spent in other places like working in the clinic.

I'm curious, how did you get this impression? I would say that there is a very heavy clinical emphasis at OHSU... they definitely don't rush the academic side, but preclinical and clinical work is strong.
I am going to have to agree with divertete, it seems like a bit of an "off" impression. I'm pretty familiar (from an outside view) with OHSU now, and it seems that they have pretty stringent requirements for clinic. As someone else pointed out though, it is all in "how" you get the clinical experience. Yes, ASDOH's clinic facilities are superior to OHSU...it's brand new, all the technology, etc. However, regardless of what tools you are using, you are learning the same techniques, so this really is a moot point, unless shiny new equipment drives you to excel or work harder (which for some it may) and there's nothing wrong with that. The main difference is that ASDOH spends at least half of their clinical training the 4th year in "satellite" public health clinics, where they spend their time doing dentistry like you will do dentistry when you graduate. You work on speed and managing patients. At OHSU you do much more lab work. Every patient (I think) you take impressions on etc., no matter what the patient comes in for. They are big into occlusion, and understanding the full ramifications of treatment, both now and in the future. They do spend a short time in a public health clinic also (week?), and there are other opportunities for public health volunteering. That said, OHSU, from the faculty I have talked with, seem very receptive to making cases available to pre-docs IF the student requests more requests. However, the student must show initiative and seek out these opportunties, otherwise the cases go to specialty. What does this add up to? ASDOH students can probably fly through procedures by the time they graduate, but probably do not have as deep of an understanding of the "theories" in general dentistry from the excessive repetition. OHSU graduates are probably not as fast, but are definitely prepared well for worst case scenarios. Which do you prefer?

It's true, nothing like a script for "theories" to take away a patient's pain. :D
Now if you guys would just offer me an acceptance, I could make the choice I want to make;) On a side note...I got a call on my cell phone that I missed from a 623 area code number. I looked it up and saw it was an Phoenix, AZ number and got all excited and thought it might be an acceptance. No message though, so I think it was just a wrong number:(

Now if you guys would just offer me an acceptance, I could make the choice I want to make;) On a side note...I got a call on my cell phone that I missed from a 623 area code number. I looked it up and saw it was an Phoenix, AZ number and got all excited and thought it might be an acceptance. No message though, so I think it was just a wrong number:(

Sorry to hear you haven't gotten an acceptance here. Sometimes the whole process doesn't make a lot of sense--maybe it'll still come. Good luck!

I'm a first year at AZ and there is no other school I'd rather be at - and I was a bit skeptical before my interview. I have never heard anyone at this school say "I wish I would have gone somewhere else". If you want a balanced and relatively stress free life this is the school to go to. I have friends at other schools and they are so overwhelmed and I have not felt overwhelmed yet and I'm through the most difficult part of our curriculum already. This is what I like about the school:

1. One class at a time - no semester system
2. Plenty of self study time during school hours
3. Take the boards after the first year
4. The faculty is 100% accessible - for example one of our deans taught our head and neck anatomy class and gave out his home and cell phone number and home address and said call me anytime before 11pm any day of the week if you have questions. How often will you have a dean give you his home number???
5. A lot of clinical experience - someone before mentioned because we don't have any specialty programs we will get to see a lot of cases that would normally be handle by those programs. Right now we are in the middle of our dental pulp class that is being taught by one of the co-directors of endodontics in our clinic and he read a letter from one of the directors of an off site clinic that the 4th year students are doing rotations at and was so impressed with the quality of work they are producing - such as completing root canals in just over 1 hour.

If you choose AZ you will not regret it.