ASDOH vs UIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kindascared

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

So I was accepted to both of these schools so far and are both great schools imo.... But which one is the better? And I think the tuition amount is about the same? I'm from IL and after the first year the cost of UIC is the same with ASDOH. I'm just wondering what majority of you guys have to say about each school. I want to go to a school that would give me a lot of experience and confidence when i go into the real world.
Thanks so much for helping me out. I'm just kinda stumped.

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't a big fan of UIC's small group learning instruction method, but some of the students there seemed to like it. Not sure if ASDOH does small group learning. That would be up to you whether or not you enjoy it.

If you want to see somewhere new, Phoenix could be neat. It's a lot hotter than the Midwest though. Chicago is a bigger city, so there's probably more to do there.

I'd do an in depth cost analysis if I were you. Make sure the two schools really are the same price, as you've said they are. Factor in cost of living and interest on your loans. Cost of living will be higher in Chicago. Tuition is likely to rise more at UIC over the four years than ASDOH due to Illinois budget issues.

I wouldn't say one school is much better than the other, as both will allow you to be a dentist. Both will give you experience and confidence. Ultimately it's up to you though.

Reactions: 1 users
Made me wonder even more..

But in terms of specializing, what's better? I know UIC has 6 programs in its program and ASDOH has none. But from what I hear ASDOH applicants usually don't have that much trouble getting in to any specialty they want to.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Made me wonder even more..

But in terms of specializing, what's better? I know UIC has 6 programs in its program and ASDOH has none. But from what I hear ASDOH applicants usually don't have that much trouble getting in to any specialty they want to.

Thanks again
Some say that schools without specialties are the best for achieving clinical competence, as students get more chances to work on complicated cases. That's more relevant for those wanting to do general dentistry without having to do further training.

You can specialize out of any school so long as you study hard, make connections, and do extracurricular activities like research or leadership. I wouldn't worry about that when deciding between most schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Some say that schools without specialties are the best for achieving clinical competence, as students get more chances to work on complicated cases. That's more relevant for those wanting to do general dentistry without having to do further training.

You can specialize out of any school so long as you study hard, make connections, and do extracurricular activities like research or leadership. I wouldn't worry about that when deciding between most schools.

Thanks so much for theverything advice!

Anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks so much for theverything advice!

Anyone else have an opinion?
The whole "better clinical experience is better at schools with no specialties" is quite a broad brush to paint. Since you've narrowed it down to two schools already I would just consider the pros and cons of each school. There are plenty of schools with specialties that give better clinical training than schools with no specialities. And vice versa.

I wasn't a big fan of UIC's small group learning instruction method, but some of the students there seemed to like it. Not sure if ASDOH does small group learning. That would be up to you whether or not you enjoy it.

If you want to see somewhere new, Phoenix could be neat. It's a lot hotter than the Midwest though. Chicago is a bigger city, so there's probably more to do there.

I'd do an in depth cost analysis if I were you. Make sure the two schools really are the same price, as you've said they are. Factor in cost of living and interest on your loans. Cost of living will be higher in Chicago. Tuition is likely to rise more at UIC over the four years than ASDOH due to Illinois budget issues.

I wouldn't say one school is much better than the other, as both will allow you to be a dentist. Both will give you experience and confidence. Ultimately it's up to you though.

Consider the bolded highly! Illinois doesnt seem anywhere close to deciding on a budget. I believe the Governor is currently making CPS teachers take off 4 days unpaid during the school year to recover 4 million bucks. The dental school has been undergoing renovations for years now, and due to budget shortcomings who knows how that will affect date of completion, and most importantly, your tuition costs.
I'd build out an excel sheet of anticipated costs, accounting for hikes in tuition that are likely to happen , and go from there..

Reactions: 1 users
Consider the bolded highly! Illinois doesnt seem anywhere close to deciding on a budget. I believe the Governor is currently making CPS teachers take off 4 days unpaid during the school year to recover 4 million bucks. The dental school has been undergoing renovations for years now, and due to budget shortcomings who knows how that will affect date of completion, and most importantly, your tuition costs.
I'd build out an excel sheet of anticipated costs, accounting for hikes in tuition that are likely to happen , and go from there..
Yea I asked that question to the admissions staff. Got a pretty snappy response of we don't know, just plan for it.

Sorry
Tuition hikes.
Smh...its already not exactly an inexpensive program. I believe the only post grad programs that don't charge tuition at UIC are Peds and OMFS. Not sure where you're from or if you're planning on commuting from home...those should all factor into your decision. You can work hard and specialize from anywhere....I don't think whether a school has specialty programs or not should even play into the discussion.
Whatever program that works out to be the most inexpensive for you gets my vote.

Reactions: 1 user