Aseptic Manual Charting Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harvey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one have any good ways to go about this hygienically. I have tried wrapping pens in the tape for the overhead light and wrapping pens in a disposable glove. Nothing seems to be working right now. Is it okay to not wrap the pens or pencils and simply spray them with disinfectant once you are done using them? Any thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Any one have any good ways to go about this hygienically. I have tried wrapping pens in the tape for the overhead light and wrapping pens in a disposable glove. Nothing seems to be working right now. Is it okay to not wrap the pens or pencils and simply spray them with disinfectant once you are done using them? Any thoughts.

deglove, write in the chart, rub your hands with alcohol foam, reglove, repeat.

Secure the paper with some tape or a clipboard, then just use a plain ballpoint pen (i.e. no clips or anything for bugs to hide under) and disinfect it afterward. If it's good enough for the operatory, it's good enough for a pen. Just don't touch the paper with the dirty gloves you're wearing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secure the paper with some tape or a clipboard, then just use a plain ballpoint pen (i.e. no clips or anything for bugs to hide under) and disinfect it afterward. If it's good enough for the operatory, it's good enough for a pen. Just don't touch the paper with the dirty gloves you're wearing.

Excellent advice. Wiping down the pen when you are finished is just fine. Like Bill said, don't touch what you can't wipe!

Of course, the best bet is to have a buddy enter the data for you as you call out the probing scores. That takes, what, 10 minutes tops?

I agree that is probably the easiest. At UMN we have a worksheet where we fill in the details with gloved hands using a red and blue pencil. The pencil goes to dispensing. We later transfer the data onto the chart after degloving. Takes the same 10 minutes if you don't find a buddy.

I agree that is probably the easiest. At UMN we have a worksheet where we fill in the details with gloved hands using a red and blue pencil. The pencil goes to dispensing. We later transfer the data onto the chart after degloving. Takes the same 10 minutes if you don't find a buddy.

i like this method. I hope my school does something similar.

I wrapped my pen with the same barriers that I use on light handles, switches & chair adjustment knobs. I also disinfected the pen after the procedure. If your barrier tape is to tacky and difficult to remove quickly, you can fold a part of the barrier over itself so that you have a piece to grab onto and the rest will peel off more easily.

It may also be a good idea to rest the chart on a counter or bracket table that you know is clean and to use a pt. bib or paper towel to cover the part of the chart that you're not writing on to prevent your hand and wrist from contaminating the chart.

Sometimes I ask the pt to do me a favor and chart perio for me. Explain the process and the odontogram before you start. When you call out probing depths, bleeding, pus, recession, missing teeth, furca, etc, they are hearing it and also physically writing it down. I feel that this can be helpful for education and reinforcement. When you summarize your findings after charting, the pt. will have a better understanding of his own disease state and potentially enhance pt. compliance.

Last edited: