ASHP Pharmacy Forecast 2013-2017 Strategic Planning Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yes not everyone is as smart and fortunate as you guys on this forum.

Wait...I thought you said you were happy with your job.... was that a lie?

Members don't see this ad.

Z and lea and SCG all talk about these rarer than hen's teeth jobs that require nearly ten years of schooling to acquire, the three of them operate in their own little micro climate.

On a macro scale the story is so, so different for new grads. If everyone was to do PGY1 and 2, residency, work in a pharmacy during school, net work, back slap and generally brown nose anyone they could, would there be jobs for all of them too? I don't think so. Remember 50% end up in the bottom of the class, so no matter how hard you work there are always going to be some that are disappointed.

The fact that pharmacy schools are opening on every street corner and dropping entrance grades means quality will fall and they will provide graduates not up to post grad years and in turn grads not able to fill unicorn jobs. In effect Z, Lea and SCG are just adding fuel to the fire, good on them but all they are interested in are the elite jobs that are only available to very few. The dream being sold to the majority of students is rather different.
What do you mean "elite" jobs?? What is your definition of elite?

Damn right I'm interested in securing a high paying job I enjoy where I can actually make an impact. I'm not pursuing residency plus additional years of grad school for my frickin' health.

There will always be unicorns. Whether they live in igloos, adobe huts, or at the top of a high rise doesn't matter. Work hard, play hard right?

You all can bash residencies and higher degrees all you want but in the end, the most talented and hardest working will likely be at the forefront and that could be in hospital practice, am care, or community! EDIT : and many, many other practice settings.

Do well. Excel in your job. Pay off your loans. Travel and enjoy life.

I suppose alternatively you could marry a sugar momma. Some will do both :D

Being a unicorn and marrying well is the ideal situation :)

women-s-rainbow-farting-unicorn-tee_design.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait...I thought you said you were happy with your job.... was that a lie?

I don't brag every chance I get on an internet forum. Apparently that means I am not happy.

Damn right I'm interested in securing a high paying job I enjoy where I can actually make an impact. I'm not pursuing residency plus additional years of grad school for my frickin' health.

don't tell Spiriva that. She may think you have an entitlement attitude

don't tell Spiriva that. She may think you have an entitlement attitude
You're missing her point.

Students need to actually put forth effort. Students can't just go into school believing they'll be handed a high paying job just for sitting their butt in a seat for however many years.

Reactions: 1 user
You're missing her point.

Students need to actually put forth effort. Students can't just go into school believing they'll be handed a high paying job just for sitting their butt in a seat for however many years.

What???? But but... I have a Pharm.D. Where's my BMW lease!!

There will always be unicorns. Whether they live in igloos, adobe huts, or at the top of a high rise doesn't matter. Work hard, play hard right?

You all can bash residencies and higher degrees all you want but in the end, the most talented and hardest working will likely be at the forefront and that could be in hospital practice, am care, or community!

Do well. Excel in your job. Pay off your loans. Travel and enjoy life.

I suppose alternatively you could marry a sugar momma. Some will do both :D

Being a unicorn and marrying well is the ideal situation :)

women-s-rainbow-farting-unicorn-tee_design.png

You don't get it. What I am saying is that everyone took your advice and strove for the unicorn jobs there will still be a lot of disappointed people. The jobs that you, Z and SCG talk about are few and far between and frankly I wouldn't want to spend 10 years of my life chasing. When you get older you tend to get more complacent. I don't want to go back to school at my age but also don't want to get the rug pulled from under my feet every other year but again that is the realities of capitalism for you.

You don't get it. What I am saying is that everyone took your advice and strove for the unicorn jobs there will still be a lot of disappointed people. The jobs that you, Z and SCG talk about are few and far between and frankly I wouldn't want to spend 10 years of my life chasing. When you get older you tend to get more complacent. I don't want to go back to school at my age but also don't want to get the rug pulled from under my feet every other year but again that is the realities of capitalism for you.
You mean not everyone gets a ribbon???????

I kid.

You're right, not everyone gets to be a unicorn. Only the brightest, hard working reach that finish line. Sometimes people get lucky. Sometimes people know how to network. Whatever the method, there is still effort involved.

Complacency won't get anyone far regardless of the career path.

So you don't want to further your education nor grow professionally anymore...but you want stability?

hmmm...

Who the hell is SCG?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you don't want to further your education nor grow professionally anymore...but you want stability?

hmmm...

So when do you stop heading back to school, age 64 and 364 days? I want to do my days work, play golf then spend my evenings arguing on an Internet forum. Is there anything wrong with that? :arghh:

Learning has Nothing to do with age.

So when do you stop heading back to school, age 64 and 364 days? I want to do my days work, play golf then spend my evenings arguing on an Internet forum. Is there anything wrong with that? :arghh:

You sound like me and the majority of pharmacists I went to school with. I guess people like us aren't going into the schools anymore? If someone told me pharmacy school was going to be 4 years + 1-2 years of residency I would not have given the career a thought. Stability, good pay, and the ability to leave work at home all in under 6 years of training is what drew most of us to the field, not a love of pharmacy lol.

You could be a garbage man. It pays well.

isn't pharmacy your second career?

graduate first, get a pharmacist job and then brag about how great you are on an internet forum.

Z and lea and SCG all talk about these rarer than hen's teeth jobs that require nearly ten years of schooling to acquire, the three of them operate in their own little micro climate.

On a macro scale the story is so, so different for new grads. If everyone was to do PGY1 and 2, residency, work in a pharmacy during school, net work, back slap and generally brown nose anyone they could, would there be jobs for all of them too? I don't think so. Remember 50% end up in the bottom of the class, so no matter how hard you work there are always going to be some that are disappointed.

The fact that pharmacy schools are opening on every street corner and dropping entrance grades means quality will fall and they will provide graduates not up to post grad years and in turn grads not able to fill unicorn jobs. In effect Z, Lea and SCG are just adding fuel to the fire, good on them but all they are interested in are the elite jobs that are only available to very few. The dream being sold to the majority of students is rather different.

I was at the bottom of my class, GPA was like 2.2-2.3 or something.

No. It's not.

Nobody is bragging.

You always resort to personal attacks. Boring.

All due respect, you need to graduate first and work as a pharmacist so you can lecture us like Z.

All due respect, you need to graduate first and work as a pharmacist so you can lecture us like Z.
I'm not planning on lecturing anyone.

I think people are just tired of the same old posts coming from you- filled with negativity about the profession. It seems like you put down anyone who has genuine optimism and a desire to move the profession forward.

Maybe there should be a BMB mega thread where all the Debbie downers can post about how ****ty everything is and how much they hate pharmacy.

Why do you care about the unicorn jobs and other people's loans anyway?

You've got a job. You're pulling your salary. Move on already.

I'd rather watch Mountain and Old Timer duke it out over CVS. At least it was entertaining.

So is making up some random numbers. Tell us more about your survey, Z

You can fInd it. But Look really hard. And Don't get your feelings hurt. Yeah hospital pharmacists make up such a small portion of pharmacists. Lol.

You can fInd it. But Look really hard. And Don't get your feelings hurt. Yeah hospital pharmacists make up such a small portion of pharmacists. Lol.

LOL and yes, UCSD tuition is just 15 k a year. What happened to you? Making up numbers again?

I think people are just tired of the same old posts coming from you- filled with negativity about the profession. It seems like you put down anyone who has genuine optimism and a desire to move the profession forward.

Maybe there should be a BMB mega thread where all the Debbie downers can post about how ****ty everything is and how much they hate pharmacy.

Why do you care about the unicorn jobs and other people's loans anyway?

You've got a job. You're pulling your salary. Move on already.

I'd rather watch Mountain and Old Timer duke it out over CVS. At least it was entertaining.
Lol!

doom and gloom diseases typically displayed by partial anxiety and depressive people. I do believe there's a icd 9 / 10 code.

LOL and yes, UCSD tuition is just 15 k a year. What happened to you? Making up numbers again?
What do you know about their $10000 per year credit to all rx students? Hurry go research.

What do you know about their $10000 per year credit to all rx students? Hurry go research.

Thank you for the wonderful survey you posted. It was very informative. I had no idea pharmacy was doing so well back in the days.

Come on, Z....shut me up. I am sure you have some link, a study or something. LOL

Look, I know what I am posting on this forum is not always popular but that's fine by me.

Look, I know what I am posting on this forum is not always popular but that's fine by me.
Great. Your prerogative of course. I'm sure there are other things you could contribute though (at least I'd hope).

What's the greatest thing you've done as a pharmacist? Honest question.

Great. Your prerogative of course. I'm sure there are other things you could contribute though (at least I'd hope).

I need to brag on a forum? Who cares what i have done

I will tell you this tho. I got lucky and I have accomplished things I wanted in life.

Thank you for the wonderful survey you posted. It was very informative. I had no idea pharmacy was doing so well back in the days.

Come on, Z....shut me up. I am sure you have some link, a study or something. LOL
Shutting you up is too easy. There are approximately 60000+ hospital pharmacists. Is that a small small sample? What % is that? Cmon you can do.it. show me It's not. Go ahead shut me up. You know where this info. Is.

Lol you cant have an opinion because youre not a Pharmacist?

Well you cant talk about creating new jobs because you ain't done it

Shutting you up is too easy. There are approximately 60000+ hospital pharmacists. Is that a small small sample? What % is that? Cmon you can do.it. show me It's not. Go ahead shut me up. You know where this info. Is.

You have accomplished great things (so I have read) but you have been pulling numbers out of nowhere lately.

You have accomplished great things (so I have read) but you have been pulling numbers out of nowhere lately.

C'mon. show me a survey that shows otherwise. Show me where hospital pharmacists constitute 2%, 5%, 9%. Or even less. Do it!

I need to brag on a forum? Who cares what i have done

I will tell you this tho. I got lucky and I have accomplished things I wanted in life.

Right...not you got what you want...you don't want others to get it? Show me where every pharmacy student is borrowing $150-$300K. Where's that survey?

I believe there are approximately 70,000 hospital, clinic, health system based amb care pharmacists in the US. That should make up approximately 25% of practicing pharmacists.

I got offered a 2nd interview for a full-time job at the #1 ranked hospital (by USNews) here in NYC. (I'm already working full-time at one hospital and per-diem at another hospital, both are part of the top 3 health systems in NYC). I haven't really felt much of this doom and gloom that everyone is talking about. Yeah, I had to apply and interview like everyone else, not too big of a deal. There's only one thing that would make my situation perfect, and that would be having no debt or much less debt. (I'm close to 350k in debt.)

Or is my case an anomaly for a 2012 grad. I'm trying to figure out why is it that so many people who are trying to get a staff pharmacist job can't get one, if it seems that every time I apply to something I get a call from a hiring manager. Does me simply having 2 hospital pharmacy jobs make me more attractive to a potential employer versus someone who just graduated school, worked retail before, has had a hospital job for 5-10 years but has been unemployed 2-3 years, etc?

Your situation is honestly the norm for NYC grads. I'm an NYC grad and it was easy to land a job and get multiple offers. I'm even still to this day finding it very easy to find independent pharmacies to work for.

Regarding your hospital job though, YES, having 2 hospital pharmacy jobs makes you extremely attractive to a potential employer.

I am not in Alaska.

As the clinical coordinator, I am the only residency-trained pharmacist in our department, so these positions are not hen's teeth.

I have a hard time advising someone to go to pharmacy school right now; I too am very afraid of the oversaturation. But I still think it is a great field and if you are innovative and hard-working and a bit flexible, you can find a job that makes you happy, whether that is hospital, retail, PBM, amb, industry, consulting, whatever.

Your situation is honestly the norm for NYC grads. I'm an NYC grad and it was easy to land a job and get multiple offers. I'm even still to this day finding it very easy to find independent pharmacies to work for.

Regarding your hospital job though, YES, having 2 hospital pharmacy jobs makes you extremely attractive to a potential employer.

Yeah, sometimes I'll take a week of paid time off but not have the money to go anywhere on vacation so I'll just go on craigslist and call up independent pharmacies to pick up a last minute shift here and there (if the other places where I'm signed on as per-diem haven't called.)

LOL something that Z couldn't find = X

If you really believe that.... you're really dumber than I thought. Google pharmacist labor...and it's one of the first that show up.
I just wasn't going to post it for you.

So is 25% a small population of pharmacists? Wrong.

If you really believe that.... you're really dumber than I thought. Google pharmacist labor...and it's one of the first that show up.
I just wasn't going to post it for you.

So is 25% a small population of pharmacists? Wrong.

compared to retails? YES

Lets see how much further hospitals cut back.

compared to retails? YES

Lets see how much further hospitals cut back.

Do you revel in other people's failures? Why are you so intent in seeing our profession falter? It's pretty pathetic.

Honestly, you're doing everyone a disservice...and you're clearly not satisfied with your own representation of our profession. Otherwise, you wouldn't feel the need to dishearten others...even though it probably feels great to try and bring everyone down with you.

Do you revel in other people's failures? Why are you so intent in seeing our profession falter? It's pretty pathetic.

Honestly, you're doing everyone a disservice...and you're clearly not satisfied with your own representation of our profession. Otherwise, you wouldn't feel the need to dishearten others...even though it probably feels great to try and bring everyone down with you.

all of this because i posted about you complaining about being single? it is thursday night...