ASHP Protests Pharmacist's Depiction on "Nurse Jackie"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
7/16/2009

The portrayal of a hospital pharmacist as a diverter of controlled substances on the Showtime series “Nurse Jackie” is troubling and could have a negative impact on the public’s perception about hospital pharmacists, ASHP CEO Henri R. Manasse, Jr., Ph.D., Sc.D., told executives at the network.

Manasse asked Showtime to consider playing ASHP’s public service announcement describing pharmacists’ roles in hospitals and offered to provide the show’s writers with realistic scenarios that could be incorporated into future story lines.

“Nurse Jackie” features a pharmacist character Eddie, who is involved in an extramarital affair with the title character and supplies her with narcotics stolen from the pharmacy.

A letter from ASHP to Showtime can be found through this link.

Personally, I love this show and have no problem with it. I like the dark humor in it, because hey, if we don't find humor in serious things, well, life would be pretty sad. Besides, in my perspective, it's just TV. A show. Entertainment. FICTION.

Have any of you seen this yet? Should people really be up in arms over fictional storyline? Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

Jesus H Christ ASHP is pathetic.

Waste time on this bull**** about a fictional story that nobody takes seriously rather than going to Washington and actually doing something useful.

Waste time on this bull**** about a fictional story that nobody takes seriously rather than going to Washington and actually doing something useful.
its ashp's way to show all of us the difference it's making in the profession!

Members don't see this ad :)
And that PSA makes me embarrassed to be a pharmacist. They should get me to do it. At least I have some charisma, dammit. Those dorks reading cue cards ain't cutting it.

Where were they for Desparete Housewives. Remember the Pharmacist gave the guy the wrong meds so he could get with his wife. Actually that was cool. Shows you not to mess with the guy putting the pills in the bottle.

I can just see the AMA writing up a furious email to a movie producer about how Austin Powers supervillain Dr. Evil paints physicians in the wrong light - going as far as insinuating that an "evil medical school" exists.

In UK we also suffer from always being the bad guy in the story.
johnep

will someone write a letter to henry manasse to adress issues that actually matter..like too many pharmacy schools??

GA....what a loser....

+1 on that.

damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they stay quiet, some people would criticize their lack of action; if they do say something, they'll come off as immature for criticizing a fictional TV show that's probably gonna get canceled in a year, AND for lack of action in other things. No-win situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hell, why not just write up House and his crazy antics?

Lol...Popping Pain pills like they are candy and then the pharmacist on House is in this damn cubby hole of an supply closet, you never see him walking around-does he even have legs? lol

I mean, Come on ASHP....I've never even heard of this show....

Jennifer A Candy,RN,BSN is the associate producer and a nurse?.. I don't how much she contribute to the story line of narcotics diversion....
Well.. nurse jackie is also an accomplice of diverting narcotics.. but ANA didn't seem to have the reaction ASHP had

Pathetic is too kind a description.

I wish there were more nurses like "Nurse Jackie".

"Quiet and mean--those are my people." Couldn't have said it better myself!

The L Word (RIP), Dexter, Californication, Weeds, Tracy Ullman's State of the Union, and Nurse Jackie?

Yes, people watch Showtime. Really.

I guess I'm just really out of pop culture, because I thought Californication was a song by the Chili Peppers and I have no idea who Tracy Ullman is or why she's giving a state of the union address? Moreover, why people would want to watch a state of the union address? Most boring things ever...

Maybe if pharmacists would quit diverting drugs they wouldn't have such a character!!!!!

I guess I'm just really out of pop culture, because I thought Californication was a song by the Chili Peppers and I have no idea who Tracy Ullman is or why she's giving a state of the union address? Moreover, why people would want to watch a state of the union address? Most boring things ever...

It is a song by the RHCP, too. In fact, I think they sued the producers over the name, but not sure of the outcome. Anyway, it's a show starring David Duchovny, who plays a sex-crazed writer, and I love it.

And Tracey Ullman is a Brit that's been around forever. She's big into sketch comedy, and she used to have HBO shows (The Tracey Ullman Show and Tracey Takes On...) in the 80s. The show's not a "state of the union" address, obviously, but rather satirical vignettes on a day in the life of Americans, and Tracy plays all of the main characters. One of her characters is even an Indian retail pharmacist in Oak Ridge, TN.

And oh! I forgot about Secret Life of a Call Girl. That's a great show as well. :D

Ya, some nurse started a facebook group "nurses against nurse jackie" or some bs. All these self-righteous nurses posted comments saying how it's ruining the image of the nursing profession. People are unbelievable. How dare they make a show based on events that have actually happened in real life. They are either blind or just don't want to admit it.

Ya, some nurse started a facebook group "nurses against nurse jackie" or some bs. All these self-righteous nurses posted comments saying how it's ruining the image of the nursing profession.
Actually, I think nurse jackie help improve the image of nursing. She is not evil. She is caring, witty, and assertive. She just has weakness like human.

As I said, I think it's a nurse that gave the inputs.. I think read somewhere that the co-producer is RN, BSN.

damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they stay quiet, some people would criticize their lack of action; if they do say something, they'll come off as immature for criticizing a fictional TV show that's probably gonna get canceled in a year, AND for lack of action in other things. No-win situation.

If they hadn't taken any action, no one would have cared/known.

It's the equivalent of a tree falling in the woods. On pay cable.

This is what makes me despise the profession sometimes. Instead of trying to stop the $4 or no dollar scripts which makes the pharmacist's judgement and service worth, oh, absoeffinlutely nothing, our "leaders" choose to focus on a tv show. Brilliant.