• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

doctorcynical

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
Fresno
Status (Visible)
Has anyone had an interview with an ADCOM that was Asian. Every interview that I have went to was with an old white guy. 90% of the time they sit back in their chair and play with their hands and do the condescending thumb twiddle. Talk about homogeneity. And people say Affirmative Action is unfair....

pekq

Gunner
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
NJ
Status (Visible)
That's pretty much because asians tend to go into private practice and not remain in academia. Also, there's the language barrier. You also have to remember that asians are a small minority in this country. I did see one at NYU but he was not my interviewer. Also, both of my interviewers at NJMS and RWJ were asian as well. On another note, old interviewers are the best interviewers you can have.

doctorcynical

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
Fresno
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by pekq
That's pretty much because asians tend to go into private practice and not remain in academia. Even if they do, they probably wouldn't volunteer their time to interview people. I did see one at NYU but he was not my interviewer. On another note, old interviewers are the best interviewers you can have.

Why do think asians stay away from academia. Politics I would presume. The good ole boys save spots for their kin.

About the Ads

pekq

Gunner
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
NJ
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by doctorcynical
Why do think asians stay away from academia. Politics I would presume. The good ole boys save spots for their kin.

Language barriers, politics, and money. There are actually quite a lot of asians in academia. For some reason, they don't come out to interview so I am guessing it's because they don't speak fluent English or don't want to waste their time on applicants.

Kashue

No longer a USMLE JUNKIE!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2003
Status (Visible)
Has anyone had an interview with an ADCOM that was Asian. Every interview that I have went to was with an old white guy. 90% of the time they sit back in their chair and play with their hands and do the condescending thumb twiddle. Talk about homogeneity. And people say Affirmative Action is unfair....

I did @ NYU.

gschl1234

15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Language barriers, politics, and money. There are actually quite a lot of asians in academia. For some reason, they don't come out to interview so I am guessing it's because they don't speak fluent English or don't want to waste their time on applicants.

Why would you assume that asians have "language barriers"? I'm asian, and I don't think I have problems communicating with people. Anyhow, I had one at UIC, an orthopaedic surgeon.

I have never, however, had an African-American, Hispanic-American, American Indian or European interviewer.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by gschl1234
Why would you assume that asians have "language barriers"? I'm asian, and I don't think I have problems communicating with people. Anyhow, I had one at UIC, an orthopaedic surgeon.

I have never, however, had an African-American, Hispanic-American, American Indian or European interviewer.

Let's see I had a British interviewer at Jefferson, and a Hispanic student interviewer at a Cali school, and an East Indian interviewer at Pritzker...but they are rare overall.

Jugador75

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by CalBeE
One of my panel interviewers at Emory was Indian and I actually liked him.

And you "actually" liked him? Were you not expecting to like him simply because he was Indian? I'm confused.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Jugador75
And you "actually" liked him? Were you not expecting to like him simply because he was Indian? I'm confused.

Dude, I'm Asian myself and I was born in India...what do you think? Don't psychoanalyze my words ;)

The part that was missing (And which was in my mind) was that: Despite him giving me some hard questions about "Why Emory?", I actually liked him.

pekq

Gunner
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
NJ
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by gschl1234

Your generation can speak english fluently. Asians old enough to be faculty tend to be immigrants.

pekq

Gunner
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
NJ
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Jugador75

He usually doesn't find asian males attractive. But I get this one at Emory must be a hottie :laugh:

About the Ads

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
He usually doesn't find asian males attractive. But I get this one at Emory must be a hottie :laugh:

Please don't make me blush ;)

camstah

running thru dandelions
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2003
Los Angleeez
Status (Visible)
my interviewer at USC was indian...and while both of my parents have accents (which isn't usually a problem for me when speaking with other people) i only understood every 5th word he said.....made me look like a fool, and was pretty frustrating for him......and frustrating for me as well, as i'm sure he said i was a ***** to the adcom....it sucks when getting into a school comes down to the luck of the draw with an interviewer....that's not something you have any control over, but it's something that can change your whole life.....it's the difference between me staying here in so cal with my family and fiance, or being forced to move to pennsylvania and be thousands of miles away for four years.....i think adcoms should start an interview feedback form for the med school applicants as well....any concerns you may have had during the interview, etc.....i can't see how they can take a one-sided view of the interview and use that to determine how it went......

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
My faculty interviewer at Drexel was Indian. He was a very nice guy and I was accepted. :clap:

My faculty interviewer at MCW was Asian. He was a very nice guy and I was waitlisted. :(

Spitting Camel

Anteater for Life!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
'Eaterville
Status (Visible)
I had an African American at Loyola - he was awesome!
I had an Asian (Korean) and a Middle Easterner at UCI - they were awesome!
I had an African American and a:thumbdown: Hispanic at Loma Linda - they were awesome!

mosoriire

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 1999
Baltimore, MD, US
Status (Visible)
Your generation can speak english fluently. Asians old enough to be faculty tend to be immigrants

I would hope that ADCOMS dont base decisions on who will interview students based on accents! The reality of the US is that right now, 11% of the US population is immigrant...A physician practicing pretty much anywhere down in the south can expect to do more than merely brush with people who have accents. If schools are really serious about the whole multi-cultural thing, shouldnt their committment start from here?

Illusion18

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2003
Status (Visible)
Asians old enough to be faculty tend to be immigrants?
I don't think so. Maybe some are immigrants, but plenty are fourth or fifth generation Americans. Asians have been in this country for centuries. Who do you think built the railroads? I don't think it is a language barrier that keeps Asians out of academia. All the Asian doctors I know haven't had any difficulty with the English language, and they all were born here.

missmod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2002
Philadelphia
Status (Visible)
Just because people have accents does not mean that there is a "language barrier"... Of course, there are some people who have very strong accents that are incomprehendable, but that applies to the British, Australians, or even Americans with local accents as much as it applies to other immigrants. I don't think Asians in academia merit the generalization that they are not adcoms because of a "language barrier."

I think its just a matter of percentage... all these adcoms were in school during the 70's and maybe even earlier and back then, there just weren't as many minorities or even women in medicine.

I did have an Asian American female interviewer at Einstein. She grew up in the United States and asked really good questions.

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
Status (Visible)
My interviews at the University of Beijing and the University of Mumbai consisted of all asians.

I think a lot of the deans, etc are caucasian. I think asians like medicine as a subject, and in general don't like the beaurocracy, which explains why they might not like being on adcoms. Asians can still do interviews though (Ive seen a couple throughout) but I am yet to see a senior adcom who is asian. Ive seen whites, blacks, and hispanics at that position, but no asians. Ah well.

About the Ads

carrigallen

16th centry dutch painter
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2003
Status (Visible)
I think the "language barrier" just refers to the fact that certain thoughts, expressions, and feelings can only be thoughtfully communicated in one's native language.

Ask an immigrant which language they would prefer to use for emotion or expression, and they will most often choose their native one. Granted, there are plenty of immigrants who speak our language grammatically better than many americans, yet they will usually feel most comfortable with conveying thought processes with the language they are born with.

That said, I believe there are plenty of asians in academic medicine, and plenty of admissions committees.

gschl1234

15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Illusion18
Asians old enough to be faculty tend to be immigrants?
I don't think so. Maybe some are immigrants, but plenty are fourth or fifth generation Americans. Asians have been in this country for centuries. Who do you think built the railroads? I don't think it is a language barrier that keeps Asians out of academia. All the Asian doctors I know haven't had any difficulty with the English language, and they all were born here.

Thank you. I was just about to post the same thing when I saw your message.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Well remember that although there are Asians in possibly ALL the states in the U.S., they tend to be more segregated to certain states like New York, California, and Illinois (Chicago area). It'll be more likely to see them taking up admission roles in those places.

Also, even Asians started coming here back in 19th century or so (??), many came within the past 50 years, and the majority of Asians are gonna be 1st and 2nd generation American.

klooless

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2003
Status (Visible)
BOTH OF MY STANFORD INTERVIEWERS (BOTH FACULTY) WERE ASIAN!

If I were you, Dr. C., I'd know a little bit more about my number one school (asians a VERY WELL represented at Stanford).

An aside, I had African Amercican faculty Interviewers at both Harvard and Hopkins. Yes they do exist!

doctorcynical

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
Fresno
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by klooless

If I were you, Dr. C., I'd know a little bit more about my number one school (asians a VERY WELL represented at Stanford).

An aside, I had African Amercican faculty Interviewers at both Harvard and Hopkins. Yes they do exist!

Easy on the condescension tough guy. Way to be pretentious and let everyone know you interviewed at Harvard and Hopkins. Work on the SMS.:p

klooless

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2003
Status (Visible)
Easy on the condescension tough guy. Way to be pretentious and let everyone know you interviewed at Harvard and Hopkins.

If given the choice between being pretentious and being doctorcynical, I'm sure you would choose the former as well.

It's simply a pity you lack my options....

Ciao belle!:cool:

pekq

Gunner
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
NJ
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by CalBeE

Also, even Asians started coming here back in 19th century or so (??), many came within the past 50 years, and the majority of Asians are gonna be 1st and 2nd generation American.

I heard this once but I can't remember where:

Asians that started coming over about 2-3 decades ago were smarter and heavily focused on education. They were able to immigrate to the US because they were able to secure professional positions in the US. Few asians, if any, had relatives in the US and thus this was the primary method. Thus the illusion that all Asians are smart and are overnight successes.

The asians that came during the 19th century are hard workers but their numbers are relatively small. Didn't many also return to China? I'd imagine that their Asian blood is diluted enough that they don't look Asian anymore.

clumpymold

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.dtmpower.net
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by klooless

I guess you didn't bother to read the post above you. Asians in California, NY, &/or Chicago is not that uncommon. Living in California, I notice there is a HUGE percentage of asians here so I wouldn't think it unlikely to run into an asian adcom.

And what do you mean by "about my number one school"? Hmm, interesting.

DoctorCynical: Haha....;)

ewing

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2003
In da house!
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by jlee9531
mine at davis was a korean.

Well, I think we now know why you got in there. J/k. You rock, JLee.

I had a chinese interviewer at AECOM...and the director of admissions at Downstate is east asian. She has an italian surname, but that's because her husband is italian.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.