Asian male MS3, 220 step, 0 publications, how ****ed am I for Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Basically the title.

I'm a type B that made it into med school because of good interviewing skills and a competitive mcat/ GPA at a state school, which obviously did not translate into a good step score or good preclinical grades because I decided to study by watching lectures from home and only found out about Zanki/Sketchy/Pathoma mid way through second year. My dream program is UCSD or USC for residency because I used to live in California. Currently out of state.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You won’t match California EM with that board score from oos unless the PD is a close friend of yours or something. Sorry.

To match EM, you’ll need to do really well on step 2 and get great SLOEs on aways. Gotta step it up. You’ll also need to apply very broadly. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Basically the title.

I'm a type B that made it into med school because of good interviewing skills and a competitive mcat/ GPA at a state school, which obviously did not translate into a good step score or good preclinical grades because I decided to study by watching lectures from home and only found out about Zanki/Sketchy/Pathoma mid way through second year. My dream program is UCSD or USC for residency because I used to live in California. Currently out of state.

Sorry dude. California has put you up for adoption. It's time for you to embrace the Southern hospitality or the Midwest winter.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
East Asian? Or South Asian?
Rock climb with the crew? Or grab bubble tea / biryani with the homieZ?

USC? What are you smoking? That is the the most competitive EM program in the whole state of California.

nonetheless, you will not match into California EM. You can try to rotate there for 4th year, but it's going to likely be wasted effort.

Why did you mention that you’re Asian? This isn’t medical school, I doubt race plays a factor. Especially for competitive specialties where resident classes can be pretty homogenous.

If you got two top 10% SLOEs at Cali programs, you would have a decent shot at matching at one of the community EM programs. The problem with some of the bigger programs is many applicants have both good board scores (235+) and great SLOEs. I hear EM cares a lot about Step 2, so taking it early and doing really well (250+) can really help you. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Im only an M2 so what do I know lol but imo if you simply just want to match EM and arent picky Im pretty sure youre fine. Are pubs even that important for EM? Top tier and/or CA is gonna be tough though buddy. Regardless I dont think youre ****ed

Everything is competitive in California
Idk at least for IM, there are community programs that don't seem exceedingly hard to get in to if you are a US MD- Kaisers, etc
I didn't have too much trouble getting interviews- not from anywhere like UCLA, SF or Stanford tho ( from the state, doing school OOS) . But we will see how hard it is to match come March lolol

Last edited:
The state of sunshine and boba tea demands >240 Step 1.

Reactions: 5 users
Idk at least for IM, there are community programs that don't seem exceedingly hard to get in to if you are a US MD- Kaisers, etc
I didn't have too much trouble getting interviews- not from anywhere like UCLA, SF or Stanford tho ( from the state, doing school OOS) . But we will see how hard it is to match come March lolol

You can get some random community program 2 hours away from any major city sure, but anywhere even sort of known will be competitive. IDK why they keep building schools and residencies in the Midwest and South. Build them in Cali so more people have the option of going there.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get some random community program 2 hours away from any major city sure, but anywhere even sort of known will be competitive. IDK why they keep building schools and residencies in the Midwest and South. Build them in Cali so more people have the option of going there.

I agree. They need more docs for Medicali. Too many pts and not enough docs. Every medical student deserves an opportunity to train and practice in the state of Sunshine and Boba Tea.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I agree. They need more docs for Medicali. Too many pts and not enough docs. Every medical student deserves an opportunity to train and practice in the state of Sunshine and Boba Tea.

Had Boba tea in the Midwest one time. The tapioca balls tasted like rubber and the actual tea was straight sugar, no real flavor.

Eh I’ll take the residencies in the Midwest. Cali kinda sucks to most people haha

Eh I’ll take the residencies in the Midwest. Cali kinda sucks to most people haha

You get what you pay for. While some places are too expensive for their own good (Bay Area) there’s a reason so many rich/famous people have houses out here.

Last edited:
  • Haha
To each their own, but following what the rich and famous do isn’t a recipe for happiness haha half the crap they do doesn’t make sense. more power to ya

All I’m saying is that there’s more of a need for docs in the Midwest.l, hence residencies. We have people drive several hours to get to the hospital where I’m at currently.

Reactions: 6 users
To each their own, but following what the rich and famous do isn’t a recipe for happiness haha half the crap they do doesn’t make sense. more power to ya

All I’m saying is that there’s more of a need for docs in the Midwest.l, hence residencies. We have people drive several hours to get to the hospital where I’m at currently.

When I say Cali, I do NOT mean LA. I want nothing to do with that lol

Reactions: 4 users

California is the most populist state in the union. Not everyone that lives there is Rich and famous.
Many Midwestern states have higher per capita physician rates compared to California. Considering it's population I would say there is more unmet need in California compared to Michigan or Illinois.
Driving several hours is a function of population density and not necessarily of lack of physicians in the state.

You will match EM as a USMD with a 220 somewhere easy (assuming no red flags). Despite what people are saying, with good auditions/SLOEs/Good Step2 you can still match CA community EM programs. My midwest DO program matches 1-3 people in CA for EM every year at these community programs.

California is the most populist state in the union. Not everyone that lives there is Rich and famous.
Many Midwestern states have higher per capita physician rates compared to California. Considering it's population I would say there is more unmet need in California compared to Michigan or Illinois.
Driving several hours is a function of population density and not necessarily of lack of physicians in the state.
K. Still don’t think Cali REALLY needs more docs though. I’ll gladly take higher pay with lower cost of living. But whatever floats your boat!

K. Still don’t think Cali REALLY needs more docs though. I’ll gladly take higher pay with lower cost of living. But whatever floats your boat!
What are you basing this thought on? I never talked about cost of living or pay .

You get what you pay for. While some places are too expensive for their own good (Bay Area) there’s a reason so many rich/famous people have houses out here.
Rich and famous people live there because it's an area that is the center of media operations and investment dollars. For a doctor that's not chasing fame or venture capital, there isn't a lot that's appealing there that you can't get in any number of other big cities

Reactions: 3 users
Rich and famous people live there because it's an area that is the center of media operations and investment dollars. For a doctor that's not chasing fame or venture capital, there isn't a lot that's appealing there that you can't get in any number of other big cities

It’s more than that. There’s also the fact that it’s a beautiful place and the weather is amazing. And again, if you’re looking for a place to do private practice to serve a wealthy patient population, it’s a great place to be.

Why did you mention that you’re Asian? This isn’t medical school, I doubt race plays a factor. Especially for competitive specialties where resident classes can be pretty homogenous.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. For IM, race absolutely plays a factor based on what older med students I know have said. I've also heard that race also matters for EM to an extent. Makes sense if you think about it: most PD's wouldn't want programs with overly homogenous or atypical demographics.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. For IM, race absolutely plays a factor based on what older med students I know have said. I've also heard that race also matters for EM to an extent. Makes sense if you think about it: most PD's wouldn't want programs with overly homogenous or atypical demographics.

Maybe some PDs care, but I’m looking at the residency profiles of top IM and EM programs, and they’re pretty much all white/Asian.

It’s more than that. There’s also the fact that it’s a beautiful place and the weather is amazing. And again, if you’re looking for a place to do private practice to serve a wealthy patient population, it’s a great place to be.
It's not really that beautiful though, it's really just scrub grass and hills next to the ocean. Plenty of nicer ocean spots in the country with just as nice of weather and better scenery, from Miami to Hawaii. I guess if you've got fantasies of being the next Dr. Oz, it would be the right place for your ego, the West Coast is basically a quarantine zone for narcissists

It's not really that beautiful though, it's really just scrub grass and hills next to the ocean. Plenty of nicer ocean spots in the country with just as nice of weather and better scenery, from Miami to Hawaii. I guess if you've got fantasies of being the next Dr. Oz, it would be the right place for your ego, the West Coast is basically a quarantine zone for narcissists

You say “from here to there” but those would be the only two places you could realistically compare to Cali. All three places are expensive (especially Hawaii). Also are you still talking about LA? There’s other places in SoCal besides LA.

If you don't have a 240+, you're gonna have a bad time matching anywhere in CA in most specialties
Really! I don't think that is the case for IM/FM/Peds... By the way, a former classmate matched into UCLA peds with 230s/240s...

You say “from here to there” but those would be the only two places you could realistically compare to Cali. All three places are expensive (especially Hawaii). Also are you still talking about LA? There’s other places in SoCal besides LA.
All of SoCal looks the damn same, more or less. I spent 9 years out west and it's very blah in general but with a coastline that people think is shiny. And it's narcissists, greedy bastards, vapid socialites, and people lusting after fame until you hit the northern half of the state, it's not just LA. I dislike California so much I didn't attend the CA interview I landed during interview season lol, I realized I'd rather not match than end up out west again.

To each their own though. Nothing wrong with wanting piles of money and preferring earthquakes to hurricanes. I just think you're all crazy.

Meh. Cali is a very nice state and the beaches are amazing. San Diego and Santa Monica? You cant really match it.

Nothing beats Cali, its beaches, and the laissez faire bang bang boom boom dating scene culture.

It feels amazing to be a normal dude who gets plenty of attention and plays in this great state.

we can talk all day about the merits of the worst traffic in the country, overcrowding, insane cost of any housing and gas, homeless populations, and countless other things that make Cali very beatable, but to each their own. I think it just kinda ticks some people off on here how anything other than Cali is viewed as some ****hole.
Whatever. Good luck OP!

Reactions: 3 users
No bugs. No humidity. 80deg in November. Good Mexican food. Good Asian food. Socially liberal and tolerant. Diverse population. I live 1 mile from work. My commute is 5-8min by car or a 20min walk.

I grew up in a nice Cleveland suburb. Went to undergrad and med school on the East Coast. For me and many others, California is a dream come true. Thus the houses ain’t cheap. We probably have more transplanted Packers fans at work than fans of any other team. Truly to each their own.

Attachments

• B1E06373-0585-4F93-8FC2-EAC30423755E.jpeg
    B1E06373-0585-4F93-8FC2-EAC30423755E.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 1BF88D16-7A8D-4F6D-A079-EC22CE2F0EAB.jpeg
    1BF88D16-7A8D-4F6D-A079-EC22CE2F0EAB.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 83
  • B1ADCD10-0AB0-4761-8E10-7A89385A93AF.jpeg
    B1ADCD10-0AB0-4761-8E10-7A89385A93AF.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 99
  • 0FA5E323-B354-4F3C-82D2-A9781C925EDC.jpeg
    0FA5E323-B354-4F3C-82D2-A9781C925EDC.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
we can talk all day about the merits of the worst traffic in the country, overcrowding, insane cost of any housing and gas, homeless populations, and countless other things that make Cali very beatable, but to each their own. I think it just kinda ticks some people off on here how anything other than Cali is viewed as some ****hole.
Whatever. Good luck OP!

I agree with you about extending more care to the underserved in the Midwest as well. That grandma and grandpa who decide to live 2-3 hours away from a major metropolitan area deserve the opportunity to see a future Neurologist like yourself within 15 mins drive. I thereby will be opening multiple DO schools in Kansas and Iowa and multiple Neurology residencies in those areas to address these needs.

Last edited:
No bugs. No humidity. 80deg in November. Good Mexican food. Good Asian food. Socially liberal and tolerant. Diverse population. I live 1 mile from work. My commute is 5-8min by car or a 20min walk.

I grew up in a nice Cleveland suburb. Went to undergrad and med school on the East Coast. For me and many others, California is a dream come true. Thus the houses ain’t cheap. We probably have more transplanted Packers fans at work than fans of any other team. Truly to each their own.
Most of what you said is true (though I personally felt like I still saw a fair bit of intolerance out there), but I have never seen so many cockroaches as when I lived in SD–and I spent most of my childhood between South America and cornfields in the Midwest so I can promise you that I've seen bugs, lol.

The weather close to the coast is freaking awesome, and so is the food, especially the Mexican food. I can definitely see why people are willing to pay so much to live in California. I'm just not sure that I'm willing to pay that price. For now I'm content in my current neck of the woods and will be happy visiting friends and family in CA while paying much less for housing.

Most of what you said is true (though I personally felt like I still saw a fair bit of intolerance out there), but I have never seen so many cockroaches as when I lived in SD–and I spent most of my childhood between South America and cornfields in the Midwest so I can promise you that I've seen bugs, lol.

The weather close to the coast is freaking awesome, and so is the food, especially the Mexican food. I can definitely see why people are willing to pay so much to live in California. I'm just not sure that I'm willing to pay that price. For now I'm content in my current neck of the woods and will be happy visiting friends and family in CA while paying much less for housing.

I imagine some places have cockroaches, they have not been an issue for me on the east coast or the west coast or in the Midwest. I was mostly referring to mosquitos which hindered my enjoyment of the outdoors when I lived in other places. For whatever reason, mosquitos really love me and eat me alive whenever they have an opportunity.

Last edited:
All of SoCal looks the damn same, more or less. I spent 9 years out west and it's very blah in general but with a coastline that people think is shiny. And it's narcissists, greedy bastards, vapid socialites, and people lusting after fame until you hit the northern half of the state, it's not just LA. I dislike California so much I didn't attend the CA interview I landed during interview season lol, I realized I'd rather not match than end up out west again.

To each their own though. Nothing wrong with wanting piles of money and preferring earthquakes to hurricanes. I just think you're all crazy.

Not everyone likes Cali. There’s a lot of legitimate problems: homeless population is out of control, taxes are ridiculous, tons of regulations, high cost of living, etc. That said, never met someone IRL that didn’t think Cali was amazing in terms of scenery/food/culture/weather. I can see if you’re a NYC person you may find the atmosphere in Cali too “laid back”, but there’s a reason people consider it a destination area. Speaking of which, which area of the country do you live in? I’m leaning towards Texas or Florida.

Sounds like you were in West LA/ Beverly Hills/Hollywood area? People definitely aren't all like the population in that area -which I disdain too. I think a lot of us are crazy about the state because we grew up there all our family is still there (remember 2/3 of CA med school applicants go OOS). Its not like the Midwest/East coast where you can attend school/residency OOS and still be within driving distance- we are all FAR from family. Idk about the outsiders though - I agree there are pros but significant cons to the state for sure. You will never be rich as a doctor here.

Not everyone likes Cali. There’s a lot of legitimate problems: homeless population is out of control, taxes are ridiculous, tons of regulations, high cost of living, etc. That said, never met someone IRL that didn’t think Cali was amazing in terms of scenery/food/culture/weather. I can see if you’re a NYC person you may find the atmosphere in Cali too “laid back”, but there’s a reason people consider it a destination area. Speaking of which, which area of the country do you live in? I’m leaning towards Texas or Florida.

Florida weather is great. But I’m going through the state for interviews right now. I feel like all the hospitals are third world filth holes, very prone to corruption and Medicaid frauds. I’m literally crossing off all programs in Florida off my list.

Some of the chicas are nice though. For the single or engaged guys out there, make sure to get prenups if you match to a Florida program.

Texas is nice. Free guns. High salary. Solid weather. Cheap quality houses. Abundant of Cowboys fans to crap on. Don Doncic to watch for the next 10 years. Women are down for that bang bang boom boom culture from Cali.

Last edited:
I've lived in Washington state, California, Colorado, Texas, Florida, Connecticut, Maine, Pennsylvania, and Mississippi. Also spent a fair amount of time in Oregon, Massachusetts, and Ohio. I've visited just about everywhere else, from DC to Chicago, to Vegas.

This whole California vs. Texas vs. Florida or whatever discussion is completely unrelated to the OP's original questions. Let's please try to circle back to those and just assume he has good reasons for wanting to return to California.

Reactions: 6 users
This whole California vs. Texas vs. Florida or whatever discussion is completely unrelated to the OP's original questions. Let's please try to circle back to those and just assume he has good reasons for wanting to return to California.
His question has been answered. Zero chance at his dream programs, minimal chance at any program in CA in his field of choice

Reactions: 4 users
Had Boba tea in the Midwest one time. The tapioca balls tasted like rubber and the actual tea was straight sugar, no real flavor.
They have good Boba in Mass, too. Mass and CA are actually pretty similar if you don't count climate ( sorry that has nothing to do with this topic, I was just trying to defend MA).

Basically the title.

I've seen it happen. A guy I know, Asian, male around similar score got offered an ER spot in California. But that was under very unique circumstances and probably more insane work than you'd realistically want to do for the slim chance.