Aside from Community vs Academic Medical Center, How do I Determine the Quality of a Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fishwithadeagle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at two DO schools and trying to compare match lists. While I know this is not a good representation, and a residency match is based on mostly your merits as a DO student, this at least somewhat suggests the opportunities available at the two schools.

Also, does a school matching most of their students in a local area suggest a more favorable reputation?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking at two DO schools and trying to compare match lists. While I know this is not a good representation, and a residency match is based on mostly your merits as a DO student, this at least somewhat suggests the opportunities available at the two schools.

Also, does a school matching most of their students in a local area suggest a more favorable reputation?

1) Not really a gen res question, so I'll be moving it to the med student forums.

2) The idea that you can evaluate the quality of a school based on its match lists is an enduring myth that just will not die.

Match lists (i.e. where people decide to do residency) depends on SO MANY factors, not just the quality of your school.
How do you know how many students are married with children, and so decide to stay local so as not to uproot their children?
How do you know how many students really wanted to return to their home town?
How do you know who got their top choice, and who did not?

PLEASE don't use the Match list to determine which school to go to. It's just not very useful information.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Thats a terrible way to evaluate schools, theres no way to know if a community program was a person's top choice or not. Also pre meds in general have a false delusion that academic programs are always better, its not the case at all, many people pick community programs over academic ones due to the lifestyle or location. There are very few specialties where the program type(community or academic) really matters, the only one I can think of is Internal Medicine for sub specializing into Cards, GI or Heme Onc etc, other than that the type of program or the prestige of the program matters very little. For example some people may pick a community Obgyn, gen surgery, or psych program thats lower ranked say in Dallas or Houston vs an academic program in a smaller town or state, since location is much more important to people then the "ranking" of a program,

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thats a terrible way to evaluate schools, theres no way to know if a community program was a person's top choice or not. Also pre meds in general have a false delusion that academic programs are always better, its not the case at all, many people pick community programs over academic ones due to the lifestyle or location. There are very few specialties where the program type(community or academic) really matters, the only one I can think of is Internal Medicine for sub specializing into Cards, GI or Heme Onc etc, other than that the type of program or the prestige of the program matters very little. For example some people may pick a community Obgyn, gen surgery, or psych program thats lower ranked say in Dallas or Houston vs an academic program in a smaller town or state, since location is much more important to people then the "ranking" of a program,

I unfortunately fall into that category. I really want to specialize into Cards, granted that is many years down the line from now and a lot could change.

I definitely see the benefits to going to community medicine, and in many cases I would likely be wanting to go that pathway. However, I tend to prefer urban internal medicine and its specialties, which tends to lend itself to university programs and the like.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Not really a gen res question, so I'll be moving it to the med student forums.

2) The idea that you can evaluate the quality of a school based on its match lists is an enduring myth that just will not die.

Match lists (i.e. where people decide to do residency) depends on SO MANY factors, not just the quality of your school.
How do you know how many students are married with children, and so decide to stay local so as not to uproot their children?
How do you know how many students really wanted to return to their home town?
How do you know who got their top choice, and who did not?

PLEASE don't use the Match list to determine which school to go to. It's just not very useful information.

There are many factors, but couldn't the average of a whole school vs another school generally suggest where future grads will end up going?

Aside from proximity to family, Go with the cheaper DO school. There is no tiers when it comes to DO schools.

Reactions: 5 users
I think a good corollary for judging school "quality" would be whether they have residency programs in all or most fields. This means you'd have a higher likelihood of access to mentors and research, which are critical for match success at the highest levels (or for matching in a competitive location, for example).

Reactions: 3 users
Aside from proximity to family, Go with the cheaper DO school. There is no tiers when it comes to DO schools.

People are missing the point. I'm not saying that the school itself is tiered, but rather, some schools offer different opportunities than other schools that may be better for certain programs. Not saying X school is better than Y, but rather X may make it easier to get research or otherwise that makes it easier to enter a certain field.

People are missing the point. I'm not saying that the school itself is tiered, but rather, some schools offer different opportunities than other schools that may be better for certain programs. Not saying X school is better than Y, but rather X may make it easier to get research or otherwise that makes it easier to enter a certain field.

The opportunities are pretty standard:

Trash research opportunities with minimal mentoring despite what they tell you during open houses

Subpar preclinical teachings that will require you to invest in outside resources

Subpar to ok clinical exp depending on your luck of the draw

The only two things that are factual are location and COA.

• Haha
The opportunities are pretty standard:

Trash research opportunities with minimal mentoring despite what they tell you during open houses

Subpar preclinical teachings that will require you to invest in outside resources

Subpar to ok clinical exp depending on your luck of the draw

The only two things that are factual are location and COA.

I understand that some people are venting about DO schools here, but I'm genuinely looking for advice.

Some will have better research than others, some will have better preclinical, some will have better clinical experience. It is about finding which programs are stronger in which areas.

I understand that some people are venting about DO schools here, but I'm genuinely looking for advice.

Some will have better research than others, some will have better preclinical, some will have better clinical experience. It is about finding which programs are stronger in which areas.

I am not venting. I have met colleagues from both CCOM and AZCOM. It’s pretty standardly subpar. If you can’t handle the truth from people who have gone through these places, don’t ask for advice.

I am not venting. I have met colleagues from both CCOM and AZCOM. It’s pretty standardly subpar. If you can’t handle the truth from people who have gone through these places, don’t ask for advice.

Fine. Granted some tact would go a long way. Many have spoken positively about both as well, but who knows.

With that said, subpar to other MD schools I can understand, but in comparison to other DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)

I think you are the one missing the point. Most of the people replying are current medical students or residents. People talk between schools. There are a handful of DO schools that set themselves apart and are run like MD schools with research to boot. These are the state schools. Unless you are from that state it’s unlikely you will get a seat there. Aside from those, everywhere is pretty much the same. There isn’t a big enough difference from school to school opportunities wise to make a difference. There is no statistical difference in outcomes.

Reactions: 9 users

Outside of possible research opportunities, the other factors you listed can vary pretty significantly even among students at the same school. People at my school have mixed feelings about our preclinical curriculum, some thought it was amazing and others mediocre. Clinical rotations are even more hit or miss. I had really solid rotations where a lot of teaching took place and I was given more autonomy than I ever expected. On the other hand, plenty of my classmates had rotations where it was just standing in the corner and shadowing.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you are the one missing the point. Most of the people replying are current medical students or residents. People talk between schools. There are a handful of DO schools that set themselves apart and are run like MD schools with research to boot. These are the state schools. Unless you are from that state it’s unlikely you will get a seat there. Aside from those, everywhere is pretty much the same. There isn’t a big enough difference from school to school opportunities wise to make a difference. There is no statistical difference in outcomes.
I came here to say this exactly. No matter how many threads you make, you're going to get the same advice. Go to the cheaper school.
Pre-clinical education - completely irrelevant because it has no bearing on your board scores or residency application
Clinical education - globally poor among all the private DO schools
Research opportunities - globally poor among all the private DO schools
Match lists tell you absolutely nothing. They are so variable year to year and based 100% on what the students want. The rockstars in our class emphasized location over everything and are matching at our home programs over large academic centers in competitive specialties.

We've been where you are sitting now, take our advice or don't ask for it.

Reactions: 10 users
I came here to say this exactly. No matter how many threads you make, you're going to get the same advice. Go to the cheaper school.
Pre-clinical education - completely irrelevant because it has no bearing on your board scores or residency application
Match lists tell you absolutely nothing. They are so variable year to year and based 100% on what the students want. The rockstars in our class emphasized location over everything and are matching at our home programs over large academic centers in competitive specialties.

This.

If you're dead set on cards look at public DO schools that have in house Cards fellow ships. Theres actually a ton of AOA cards fellowships that got ACGME accred. But honestly where you go to school isn't going to be the limiting factor for cards its your residency program. Pretty much every DO schools has some of their IM grads go cards. Just aim to do well on boards match Uni IM. Your opportunity to match Uni IM comes from boards more than what DO school you went to.

They're all pretty similar, honestly. If you're deciding between 2-3 specific schools... you should name them to get much more specific information and answers about what each school has to offer.

The truth of the matter is that DO match lists are all very similar and they're all pretty bad. Since they're all very similar, you should not use a DO school's match list to determine where you will go. This is not like picking between, say, an extremely well-respected MD school like Harvard or Stanford vs. some random unranked state MD school. When it comes to MD schools, they have differences in match lists due to the tier of schools being compared (top tier MD schools will have significantly better match lists than lower tier MD schools). Don't try to compare DO schools in this way, because DO schools are all part of the same tier.

For DO schools, you as an individual have more power than your school in determining where you end up. And in fact, if you end up where you wanted, you probably did so in spite of your DO school, not because of it.

Reactions: 8 users
Bruh, if you wanna go to ccom so bad then just do it. You’ve got a thread full of people telling you it doesn’t matter. Gun to my head, ccom has some pretty good clinical rotations compared to the other private DO schools. Probably the best of the private schools. But like any DO school, it’s probably luck of the draw if you get the good ones. That’s not worth $100k+ to most of us, but maybe it is to you.

Just know that a school like LMU has notoriously terrible clinical rotations and has essentially the same outcomes. CCOM in this case is definitely the better school of the two and it doesn’t matter.

The IM residents at my third year site are from places like LECOM, PCOM, LUCOM, western, touro; they’re all doing the same thing.

No matter where you go just:
1) Crush boards
2) Try to get research going for summer between M1 and m2. Either set it up with your school (probably competitive and maybe terrible) or reach out on your own (more likely).
3) Crush boards
4) Kiss the ring to get good evals/LOR
5) Crush boards
6) Have a good work ethic on aways/sub-I’s
7) Did I mention crush boards?

Not trying to be rude. Just speaking from experience as someone who went to the “better” school instead of the cheaper school. Good luck.

Reactions: 10 users
CCOM clinical rotations aren't even close to being top 5 among DOs imo.

If you want to be in Downers Grove so bad, then go there. But, it's nothing special, nor is Chicago. I grew up in Chicago for elementary school, middle school, and high school, so I have street credibility to diss the city of Chicago.

I chose the DO school that is the most transparent and supportive of their students and actively prepares them for the boards: CUSOM. I also chose the school because they are one of the few DO schools that can properly calculate their stats (board pass rate, average score, etc) and post them online as soon as they're available.

If I had to choose a school based on interview day lunch, LUCOM take my money. Also would choose LUCOM for campus safety since I'm pretty sure at least half of their faculty are packing heat.

Back to the original topic however, I have seen people say that there are actually some pretty good community programs out there. On this note, Cape Fear Valley Medical Center is sponsored by CUSOM has a cards fellowship which has apparently been "named a Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospital for 2018 by IBM Watson, formerly Truven Health Analytics."

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

How do I Determine the Quality of a Residency?
Ask our wise SDN residents!!!

I chose the DO school that is the most transparent and supportive of their students and actively prepares them for the boards: CUSOM. I also chose the school because they are one of the few DO schools that can properly calculate their stats (board pass rate, average score, etc) and post them online as soon as they're available.

If I had to choose a school based on interview day lunch, LUCOM take my money. Also would choose LUCOM for campus safety since I'm pretty sure at least half of their faculty are packing heat.

Back to the original topic however, I have seen people say that there are actually some pretty good community programs out there. On this note, Cape Fear Valley Medical Center is sponsored by CUSOM has a cards fellowship which has apparently been "named a Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospital for 2018 by IBM Watson, formerly Truven Health Analytics."

I thought LUCOM was thought of quite poorly due to the parental organization views.

But that's interesting to see that some community hospitals are well respected.

There we go, that actually clears it up a lot.

CCOM clinical rotations aren't even close to being top 5 among DOs imo.

If you want to be in Downers Grove so bad, then go there. But, it's nothing special, nor is Chicago. I grew up in Chicago for elementary school, middle school, and high school, so I have street credibility to diss the city of Chicago.

Then in your opinion, what would be your top five schools for rotations.

This is rather unfortunate. Hopefully things continue to change towards the better in the future.

Bruh, if you wanna go to ccom so bad then just do it. You’ve got a thread full of people telling you it doesn’t matter. Gun to my head, ccom has some pretty good clinical rotations compared to the other private DO schools. Probably the best of the private schools. But like any DO school, it’s probably luck of the draw if you get the good ones. That’s not worth $100k+ to most of us, but maybe it is to you.

Just know that a school like LMU has notoriously terrible clinical rotations and has essentially the same outcomes. CCOM in this case is definitely the better school of the two and it doesn’t matter.

The IM residents at my third year site are from places like LECOM, PCOM, LUCOM, western, touro; they’re all doing the same thing.

No matter where you go just:
1) Crush boards
2) Try to get research going for summer between M1 and m2. Either set it up with your school (probably competitive and maybe terrible) or reach out on your own (more likely).
3) Crush boards
4) Kiss the ring to get good evals/LOR
5) Crush boards
6) Have a good work ethic on aways/sub-I’s
7) Did I mention crush boards?

Not trying to be rude. Just speaking from experience as someone who went to the “better” school instead of the cheaper school. Good luck.

An interesting take. Given that STEP 1 is now P/F, how would you recommend defining yourself in the future? Probably crush comlex still, right?

An interesting take. Given that STEP 1 is now P/F, how would you recommend defining yourself in the future? Probably crush comlex still, right?

Take step 2 early enough to have the score on your application on top of networking and research

Crush step 2. No one understands comlex scores.

Crush step 2. No one understands comlex scores.
One of our clinical deans gave a talk on what PDs look for, and PDs in uber-specialties are more likely to accept a COMLEX II score than COMLEX I. Note: there are still tons of PDs who will not accept COMLEX. Some of my colleagues are hoping that having a scored exam will still be better than having a P. Not holding my breath on that.

Here are the things I recommend:

1) Ace Step 2 and COMLEX II
2) Publish in the fields; take a gap year after graduation to do so if needed for the uber fields
3) Make connections in the fields. Network!
4) Get great evaluations
5) Do audition rotations
6) Target former AOA residencies in the field.
7) Target programs that have taken your school's grads in the past. Med schools are feeders, just like UG schools are.

One of our clinical deans gave a talk on what PDs look for, and PDs in uber-specialties are more likely to accept a COMLEX II score than COMLEX I. Note: there are still tons of PDs who will not accept COMLEX. Some of my colleagues are hoping that having a scored exam will still be better than having a P. Not holding my breath on that.

2) Publish in the fields; take a gap year after graduation to do so if needed for the uber fields
4) Get great evaluations
5) Do audition rotations
7) Target programs that have taken your school's grads in the past. Med schools are feeders, just like UG schools are.

Are these the chapters of your "How to Survive the Step 1 P/F Fiasco"

4) Get great evaluations
5) Do audition rotations

Sound like a ton of things to do. I have a better idea. Crush MCAT and get into a MD school.

4) Get great evaluations
5) Do audition rotations
Do you mean accept comlex 2 instead of step 2 is ok but still need step 1. Bc if so that’s actually bad news lol

So is OP a pre-med worrying about residency quality? If so my advice is to worry about getting into the best medical school you can and going from there. Who knows what you're gonna look for and change into as you progress through 4 years of medical school. But to answer your question of residency quality I guess the best metric from IM perspective is what fellowships the residents get into; however, this is not at all the best metric for a residency quality. You'll realize a lot of choosing a residency is more than prestige but also based on other factors like location, vibe, did someone insult you that day during interview, etc.

My advice would just to take the process one step at a time. Focus on getting into a good school. Then focus on learning and understanding medicine along with doing well on your boards (yes even if they become P/F) then the pieces will hopefully fall into place at that point. Explore your own interests and discover the world of medicine through your own journey.

Do you mean accept comlex 2 instead of step 2 is ok but still need step 1. Bc if so that’s actually bad news lol
My memory is hazy as the talk was a while ago, but I believe that the students didn't take Step 1....only both COMLEXes.

And yes, accept comlex 2 instead of step 2. But let's see what the future tells us.

My memory is hazy as the talk was a while ago, but I believe that the students didn't take Step 1....only both COMLEXes.

And yes, accept comlex 2 instead of step 2. But let's see what the future tells us.
Yeah I’d like to be optimistic here, but that sounds like PDs saying they accept level 2 in lieu of step 2 but you still need a step 1. I can seriously see my school twisting it around to somehow sound positive though haha.

Last edited:
There is no tiers when it comes to DO schools.

Of course there is. There's the established solid schools where you do rotations at actual hospitals and then the newer for-profit schools that have trouble even placing students in clerkships. Outpatient surgery anyone?

Yeah I’d like to be optimistic here, but that sounds like PDs saying they accept level 2 in lieu of step 2 but you still need a step 1. I can seriously see my school twisting it around to somehow sound positive though haha.
I apologize for being unclear. My recollection was that they were OK with COMLEX II as a substitute for Step 2. Where Step I fit in, I don't remember.

Of course there is. There's the established solid schools where you do rotations at actual hospitals and then the newer for-profit schools that have trouble even placing students in clerkships. Outpatient surgery anyone?
**Cough cough** RVU-UT

• Haha
Dude if this is STILL a conflict for you despite literally everyone telling you to go to the cheaper school (AKA not the money sink in Chicago) it tells me that you just want someone to validate your desire to go there.

If you want to go to CCOM then go there. Otherwise, cost aside, DMU vs. CCOM differences are negligible. Now admittedly, $350k vs. $450k is a huge difference, but if you're looking for an excuse to choose the obviously inflated cost of one over the other you won't find it here. These are DO schools, not Harvard vs. the Caribbean. No residency PD will know the name of your DO school unless it's in the same city as them.

These are DO schools, not Harvard vs. the Caribbean.

I'm just waiting for the day a thread pops up with "Harvard vs. Caribbean - I love the beach and hate the cold, but want to match well, can't decide, HELP!"

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Dude if this is STILL a conflict for you despite literally everyone telling you to go to the cheaper school (AKA not the money sink in Chicago) it tells me that you just want someone to validate your desire to go there.

If you want to go to CCOM then go there. Otherwise, cost aside, DMU vs. CCOM differences are negligible. Now admittedly, $350k vs. $450k is a huge difference, but if you're looking for an excuse to choose the obviously inflated cost of one over the other you won't find it here. These are DO schools, not Harvard vs. the Caribbean. No residency PD will know the name of your DO school unless it's in the same city as them.

2 Things, that's not what this thread was supposed to be about, and I'm not saying anyone will know the name.

2 Things, that's not what this thread was supposed to be about, and I'm not saying anyone will know the name.

Lol bro you keep trying to back track and act like we don’t know what’s going on here. We’ve seen this about 20k times... go to CCOM if you want to go. The match lists won’t tell you jack.

• Love
  • Haha
Lol bro you keep trying to back track and act like we don’t know what’s going on here. We’ve seen this about 20k times... go to CCOM if you want to go. The match lists won’t tell you jack.
People want to go cuz “Chicago” but the school is nowhere near the city and people don’t realize how long it actually takes and how much tolls are to go back and forth. I grew up right there and love the area, and still left given the chance. You can always match back in Chicago if you really want to

I'm just waiting for the day a thread pops up with "Harvard vs. Caribbean - I love the beach and hate the cold, but want to match well, can't decide, HELP!"

"Help! Do I choose the Harvard of the Caribbean or Harvard of Harvard?! PM me with details."

• Haha