What really boosts a resume for residency?? Quality vs Quantity

Started by hfiso
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hfiso

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who have interviewed and have experience with the residency application process - what really stands out?

Does a leadership role in student government or a club actually help?

As far as research- do literature reviews and presentations look good in comparison to actual lab research and publications from unique studies?
I don't have access to a ton of great research opportunities, but I do plan on trying to get some literature reviews published and presentations.

There are endless silly resume boosters offered to medical students, but I'm curious what actually stands out to residency directors. I'm interested in radiology or anesthesia.

Thanks!
 
Honestly, the answer to this for me was previous careers.

Every single interviewer I had asked me something related to my previous work experience. One of the PDs told me he had been excited to meet me and talk about my work experience… I got the impression that it was the deciding factor in getting me the interview. Nobody asked me about my med school ECs. I brought one of them up maybe twice when I got a question about something I did in med school that was meaningful but that was it.

Everyone has the same med school ECs, more or less. Research, clubs, whatever… play up something about yourself that’s unique that everyone else won’t have. Just my $0.02
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who have interviewed and have experience with the residency application process - what really stands out?

Does a leadership role in student government or a club actually help?

As far as research- do literature reviews and presentations look good in comparison to actual lab research and publications from unique studies?
I don't have access to a ton of great research opportunities, but I do plan on trying to get some literature reviews published and presentations.

There are endless silly resume boosters offered to medical students, but I'm curious what actually stands out to residency directors. I'm interested in radiology or anesthesia.

Thanks!
Here's what PDs like to see:

 
Here is one OFTEN overlooked as far as how important they are in your app.....connecting with physicians who are well-known in your speciality field of choice and securing exceptional letters of rec. Do not discount the importance of LOR, especially in highly competitive fields.