SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Ask a first year DPT student anything!

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by tonydo93, Jun 12, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. tonydo93

tonydo93

Jan 2, 2016
    Hey guys,

I'm currently 1 week deep into my first semester of PT school so if you guys have any questions in regards to it feel free to ask away and I'll answer whenever I have some free time.

I know when I was pre-PT I loved to read threads like these and see what it was like from an actual students point of view and get my questions/concern(s) addressed.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. CareerSwitcheroo

CareerSwitcheroo

Jul 4, 2016
    Thanks for doing this!

What is one thing you immediately wish you had done beforehand or prepared for?

rangers28 likes this.
  4. tonydo93

tonydo93

Jan 2, 2016
    Honestly, nothing. The program moves so fast already and you spend 90% of your time in class/studying that it's best to come in refreshed. You will feel overwhelmed (as I do now) pretty much within the first few days.

If anything, I would just re-familiarize myself with the basics of anatomy when it comes to muscles, bony landmarks, etc. because for most of us it's been a few years since our anatomy class. However, as mentioned above you'll be spending all your time doing this anyways so I wouldn't even worry about it.

preptkittty123 likes this.
  5. Dj2PT

Dj2PT 2+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Out of curiosity what school are you attending

6. tonydo93

tonydo93

Jan 2, 2016
    UW

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  7. DPThopeful176

DPThopeful176

Nov 30, 2016

I understand that everyone has a different preference , but what were some of study strategies you or others found helpful to remember all the information that was coming at you.

8. DPT Pharaoh

DPT Pharaoh

Sep 22, 2016
    I'm a first year DPT student as well and some of the study strategies I found very helpful is studying in groups! It's key because it helps you understand things you might've not understood in class as well as share things you have a good grasp on with your classmates.
    OneNote and google docs are your best friend. Also there's an app called Complete Anatomy that's extremely helpful when learning all your anatomy.

Here's also a video from Greg Todd where he gives some advice to first year DPT students!

DPThopeful176 likes this.
  9. PathforwardtoDPT

PathforwardtoDPT

Mar 28, 2016
    Everybody says to study in groups. Yes it is definitely helpful, but do not discount self studying either. What I find helpful is to start off with self studying to build a base of understanding of the material, THEN get together in group to help each other solidify that understanding and build off of it. When everybody in the group starts off not knowing enough of the information, it may steer the group in the wrong direction and also simply not be fruitful in the end.

begber24, aks33, pickmept and 2 others like this.
  10. scrawnyguy

scrawnyguy 5+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2012
    San Antonio, TX
    What's your favorite dinosaur?

11. DPT Pharaoh

DPT Pharaoh

Sep 22, 2016
    I absolutely agree and second @PathforwardtoDPT

12. tonydo93

tonydo93

Jan 2, 2016
    This. This is something I actually found helpful in undergrad as well, but this is what 80% of my class does. I find studying in groups as you mentioned early on in the learning process is almost a waste of time because not everyone is familiar with everything you're talking about.

Study by yourself first, familiarize yourself with the content, then get in groups and go through everything so that everyone understands it correctly. Clarify with your group members on everything. If there are some people in your group that don't understand something, then if you're able to teach them then you understand it.

13. Dj2PT

Dj2PT 2+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2015
    did you take loans out to live off of? how early should a first year apply for those loans? what kind of loans did you take out? and how did you calculate the amount you took out?

14. tonydo93

tonydo93

Jan 2, 2016
    Yes I took loans out from the government. Each school (I believe) has an estimated cost of attendance that you can borrow from the government up to that amount. Usually they are pretty generous with that amount but just take what you think you'll need based on that. I would say apply early to avoid any headaches, but you can really do it whenever leading up to your program start.

Dj2PT likes this.
  15. nd_dpt

nd_dpt 2+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2015
    After you submit your FAFSA, you'll be able to take up to $20,500 per year in federal loans. If you need more than that, you can take out a grad plus loan. Personally, I saved up enough money to pay for rent for my first year in school with my mom paying for my groceries. This year, I received $10,000 in institutional grants that will cover my rent. It really depends on the school when it comes to how much you need to take out since fees can very between institutions.

Dj2PT likes this.
  16. Dj2PT

Dj2PT 2+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Thanks guys that was very helpful.

17. SR_DPT

SR_DPT

Nov 1, 2016

For the direct unsubsidized loan I know you can receive up to $20,500 per year but I saw on a website for repayment you begin paying after your 6 month grace period once you graduate? Is that true or does interest start occurring once you take out the loans?

18. ptstudent408

ptstudent408

Dec 26, 2016
    Interest starts accruing as soon as the loan is disbursed.

Also, I am about to start my first year and I just applied for my grad plus loan 2 weeks ago and I got everything done. So though it was stressful, it is possible to wait till the last minute to get your loans. (I only waited because I was waiting to hear back about a scholarship)

Dj2PT likes this.
  19. nd_dpt

nd_dpt 2+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Both are true. Interest starts when the loan is taken out and repayment begins 6 months after graduation.

20. Mel G

Mel G 2+ Year Member

Nov 5, 2014
    Just how much physiology (general, exercise & neuro) & pathophysiology will you be take this year and next and how in depth do you go?