Ask a Maryland dental student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have any questions regarding UMD dental school go ahead and ask and I'll do my best to answer. I'm in my 2nd year, and I'm an out of state resident.

Members don't see this ad.

What was your GPA and sGPA in undergraduate. What grade did you get in Organic Chemistry 1 and Lab? What was your DAT score?
From asking around your classmates, what was their average stats like?

Predents is limited to only the people on SDN, so how accurate is that information to the best of your knowledge?

My GPA was 3.6, sGPA 3.55, I got a B+ and A in Ochem/Lab respectively. My DAT was 19, with the strongest score being a 21 in bio (which was a big deal I think). My GPA is about average I'm guessing, my DAT score on the lower end, and I got in off the waitlist (March 31st).

Take predents with a grain of salt, it's not as cut and dry as GPAs and DAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, thanks for doing this.

I'm also an out-of-state resident and I'm truly interested in checking out what Maryland is like. (My dentist went there and would love to at least have a chance for an interview....even if I don't end up getting in).

I have a 3.6, with AA 21, TS 22, PA 22. I've yet to hear a word from Maryland and I'm wondering if I should be concerned. Could you share what you think made you stand out from the rest of the applicant pool? Is there anything I can do at this point to at least get an interview? And/or would you happen to have any inside info on what days Maryland interviews, what the interview is like, and how far along they are in terms of interviews for this cycle?

Also, could you talk about some of the things you truly love about Maryland? And of course the opposite as well. :xf::xf:

Thanks again.

Your stats are all good. It may just be a matter of time...some kids interviewed later than others, I interviewed in Feb. Personally, I think my stats were just good enough to get me into the door for a interview, and my interview went really well. They're not just looking for a science zombie, they're looking for people that will be compatible with each other, and that the faculty will get along with for 4 years. I'm not sure what days MD interviews, however I've seen several groups of interviewees walking around (sorry I forget the days, all the denture making is making my brain rot).

When I got my interview invite, I got a secondary application email from them out of the blue, submitted it, and got a interview invite the next day. I literally did not hear a word from them from submitting on AADSAS (end of August for me) until Jan. Don't fret, keep your head up, your stats are good so I'm sure you'll get in somewhere, however I definitely encourage you to visit UMD if you're already in somewhere else, it's a really excellent program/facility.

Reactions: 1 user
Things I really love: MEDIASITE...all of our classes are recorded on video with the powerpoint synced up, which you can watch at your leisure...attendence is still required in some classes (IE pop quizzes), however it's nice to to speed through a lecture at 2x instead of waking up at 8am sometimes.
Facility: Awesome building, awesome facility, state of the art stuff (for instance we get to be trained in CAD/CAM machines)
Dean: Has a very modern view of dentistry and is really pushing the bill technology/progress wise. I feel like I'll be way ahead of the curve when I graduate.
Faculty: Some are great, others not so much (as anywhere I suppose). The vast majority are really warm and willing to help you....I had a clinic materials guy help me at 6pm fix a 'disaster' I created in my record base, and I had never even met him before...good people.
Taking boards after D1: glad they're over

Dislikes: Overwhelming schedule....to be expected, but still brutal. First year was a marathon.
Some faculty rub a lot of people the wrong way, but that is prob true at any dental school.
There really isn't a lot to dislike....but I'm a very laid back person (prob why they let me in haha)

Hey thanks for doing this! I had an interview at maryland already but one of my questions never really got answered...so my question is: As an OOS resident do you pay in state tuition during your second year? AKA were/are you able to reclassify as a maryland resident/know somebody who has? Also, how hard is it REALLY to reclassify as a maryland resident? All i got at my interview was contact XXX from financial office if and when you get in. THANKS a bunch. BTW I loved maryland..just really concerned about tuition because it may sway my decision in the future.

Thank you for helping us. You are giving me hope. My AADSAS application mailing date was Aug 20, and I haven't heard anything yet. Wish me luck. How many shadowing hours did you have? I only have 40 hours. Do you think it is enough?

Hey thanks for doing this! I had an interview at maryland already but one of my questions never really got answered...so my question is: As an OOS resident do you pay in state tuition during your second year? AKA were/are you able to reclassify as a maryland resident/know somebody who has? Also, how hard is it REALLY to reclassify as a maryland resident? All i got at my interview was contact XXX from financial office if and when you get in. THANKS a bunch. BTW I loved maryland..just really concerned about tuition because it may sway my decision in the future.

I am in the same boat as u. I interviewed there and REALLY LOVED the school, the only problem is the price tag. I have a friend there now a third year and he told me its not really hard to establish instate residency, you just have to try. he also told me the BIGGEST factor is proving to them you were intent on moving to maryland, and it just so happened that u got into school here and thats why u chose the state. He also said u have to prove ur loyalty to the state (i.e. have all this changed ASAP, ID, car registered in the state, register to vote in the state, WORK or VOLUNTEER for the state, and PAY TAXES TO THE STATE) NOW, i could be absolutely wrong on this, but he gained in state tuition after one year. Alot might have changed in the time being....but maryland is def one of my top choices

Yah it's not easy getting in-state tuition, I know some kids who got it, others who did not. The ones that were surefire bought a house here or married someone from MD. Registering your car here etc are all good moves, however. I think it's easier to get it 3rd year than 2nd year. Personally I can't afford a house or tuition, and wanted to serve, so I joined the military and couldn't be happier.

TOZanarkland: I shadowed for 100 hours by the time I applied, and had good letters of rec. I also worked between 30-60 hours/week during undergrad, dep on my financial needs. Also, FFX was an awesome game :)

How do you find the surrounding area? I was offered an interview, but I am going to try to do it post-dec because I've heard the area is kind of sketchy. What do you like about the school and what do you dislike?

Ha Ha. I agree with you. I loved it.:love:
I am attending the annual SNDA/NDA Impressions Day at the University of Maryland on Nov 6. It is my first time to visit UMD. I am so excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you find the surrounding area? I was offered an interview, but I am going to try to do it post-dec because I've heard the area is kind of sketchy. What do you like about the school and what do you dislike?

The area directly around the school is OK, it's a typical downtown area. After sunset, a lot of the females in the class don't like to walk around alone, they often wait for a guy or the free campus shuttle. Most students live walking distance to the school in an apartment, which are fairly priced and nice. I've never had an issue with the area, but depending on your background/what you're used to, you very well might.
Good parts about the area include: proximity to Orioles/Ravens stadium (easily walking distance), various food venues, 15 min walk to inner harbor (very nice area), 15 min walk to fed hill (cool old fashion pub-type area), our new awesome gym (raquetball, Bball, weight room, power lifting room, pool, etc).
Bad parts: night time can be sketchy, if you go a few blocks in the wrong direction, you're in a different world. If you watch the Wire, you know what I'm talking about. Baltimore is a very block by block city.....one block is beautiful, the next is sketchy, the next is unsettling.

What kind of questions did they ask during your interview? What did you talk about? Was it conversational? Or was it more of a question and answer type of interview?

I fond it really funny how Baltimore has such a bad rep lol.... I was along around Lexington market at 1AM the night beforey interview and honestly it was not bad at all.... If u mind ur own business Ull be fine...the friends I have living there and there a handful of them in the dental school they allsaid if u mind ur own business Ull be fine. On top
Of it all... U don't have to live in the city... U can live in nearby areas like ellicott city or the Columbia area. All of which are a short drve away....I'm personally from the suburbs of Florida, and I found it to be very manageable... All urban areas are sketchy at 1AM No matter what city u are in..

Plz excuse the spelling and grammar... The iPhone autocorrects weird **** sometimes

What kind of questions did they ask during your interview? What did you talk about? Was it conversational? Or was it more of a question and answer type of interview?

From what I recall, it was question answer, however it quickly became conversational. Just be yourself, relax, and you'll be fine. They asked standard fare questions, nothing tricky.

Last edited:
I had my interview on one of the first days, and the student tour guides mentioned that Boards are taken after the first year now that Biochemistry is a prerequisite. After the first semester when do we take boards, right after the year ends? Do we get a summer break then? This is a question I forgot to ask on my interview, and would greatly appreciate some input. Thanks!

I hear u get ur first summer off....which I find to be great :) considering that many of the schools I've been to don't get summers off

I had my interview on one of the first days, and the student tour guides mentioned that Boards are taken after the first year now that Biochemistry is a prerequisite. After the first semester when do we take boards, right after the year ends? Do we get a summer break then? This is a question I forgot to ask on my interview, and would greatly appreciate some input. Thanks!

First year we got off from May 20th to mid August. During that time you have to take your boards....it's up to you when. Some kits blitzed it and took it like 2.5 weeks after the semester ended, other kids (like myself) did various fun things, traveled, and took it right before school started. It takes about 3-6 weeks to study, depending on how focused you are and how much you're putting in each day, I studied for about 3.5 weeks did OK.

Hey Maka,

Much appreciation for you doing this. I was wondering if you knew, or you could tell me where I could find what the UMB dental school clinical requirements to graduate are? (i.e. how many fillings, crowns, endos, etc. do you have to do before you leave)

Also, I really liked how you mentioned you feel like you'll be ahead of the curve when you graduate, is this because of the clinical requirements to graduate, or that you are getting the opportunity to work with very current technology? To follow up on the last question, I was wondering if you could say a little more about the technology that you are getting to work with. (e.g. digital radiography, CAD/CAM, lasers?)

Hey Maka,

Much appreciation for you doing this. I was wondering if you knew, or you could tell me where I could find what the UMB dental school clinical requirements to graduate are? (i.e. how many fillings, crowns, endos, etc. do you have to do before you leave)

Also, I really liked how you mentioned you feel like you'll be ahead of the curve when you graduate, is this because of the clinical requirements to graduate, or that you are getting the opportunity to work with very current technology? To follow up on the last question, I was wondering if you could say a little more about the technology that you are getting to work with. (e.g. digital radiography, CAD/CAM, lasers?)

I'm not sure about the requirements, I have my clinic orientation this coming June. From what I understand it's pretty fair and kids don't have issues graduating on time, we have a pretty good patient pool here in beautiful Baltimore. As far as sheer numbers, I apologize I do not know.

I think I'll be ahead of the curve with regards to technology for sure. We use all digital X-rays and are trained in how to use the radiology computer programs from year 1. Our sim labs are very modern - we get to play with all the latest toys. We are also lucky enough to have a few CAD/CAM systems, and will be able to use those as well. I can't emphasize how cool those machines are....

Our dean sets a high standard for us and does a great job in making sure our school is on the forefront of dentistry.

Last edited:
i was wondering if you have a mid nov interview , will students still find out acceptances or rejections dec 1st, since it is pretty much right before dec. just nervous since its the first one lol

i was wondering if you have a mid nov interview , will students still find out acceptances or rejections dec 1st, since it is pretty much right before dec. just nervous since its the first one lol

last year my interview at md was nov 4. i did not receive a rejection until after the 2011 cycle began, june or july. :lame:

last year my interview at md was nov 4. i did not receive a rejection until after the 2011 cycle began, june or july. :lame:

From what I've seen this is pretty accurate....Maryland often doesn't send out rejection letters till it's over - and for good reason. One person in my class was accepted during orientation! The best thing to do is relax and just trust that things will work out.

I had an interview a couple weeks ago and I can't remember if MD had required summer courses? I know UNC does so I wanted to compare with others since the tuition for the summer is quite high.

Thanks

I had an interview a couple weeks ago and I can't remember if MD had required summer courses? I know UNC does so I wanted to compare with others since the tuition for the summer is quite high.

Thanks

D1 ends in mid-May and resumes in mid-August. The long summer is to prepare for and take the part 1 boards. Some students finished the semester, blitzed their notes, and took the boards 2 weeks later and had their whole summers ahead of them. Others had fun for a couple months, studied in a few weeks, and took it at the end of the summer....and everything in between. D2 summer time starts with a short break, then clinic orientation. We start in the clinic in summer time, and different groups have different breaks, but it is a lot shorter than D1 summer. I think tuition is the same regardless.

Thank you so much for all of this information!! It is so helpful. I am a hygienist, for the last 6 1/2 yrs, and my GPA isnt top notch, 3.2 and 3.1 and DAT: AA-18. But I have had to work full time thru out ALL of my college days, sometimes 2 jobs. I have only received emails that my app is being reviewed. I was concerned b/c I hadnt really heard anything. I am going to re-take the DAT b/c the math was CRAZY, at least for me, the last math class I had was about 9 yrs ago. Any advice/suggestions/info?? Should I still think it is a possibility? I have heard a lot of really good things about the facility. The CAD/CAM- are you guys learning the CEREC machine???? I am not sure if that is the same machine you are referring to or not?? If so, that is so awesome. I love that machine. It has been awhile since I assisted w/it, but the office I worked at that had it, has 3 of them!!

Do you know how strict they are with their LOR? I have one from a science professor, 1 from an orthodontist, and 1 from the directory of diversity at my university (i've been involved in plenty of cultural organizations). I was going to have a second science LOR but i'm afraid my professor isn't going to come through with it.
I have a 3.5 OVR and a 3.3 Science. I'm an accounting major. Dat was AA/TS/PAT 21/22/18 and I am currently taking biochemistry and A&P 1. I already applied and am hoping to get a second science LOR by the end of the semester from my A&P teacher (I'm pretty sure I'll get an A in the course) and will send that in if I can.
I already sent my Application in. Do you think i should call and ask?

I'm glad things have changed for the better. CAD/CAM sounds great. No more wax-up! I had a very rough 3 years and had to drop out due to colitis. Good luck to all of you.

Thank you so much for all of this information!! It is so helpful. I am a hygienist, for the last 6 1/2 yrs, and my GPA isnt top notch, 3.2 and 3.1 and DAT: AA-18. But I have had to work full time thru out ALL of my college days, sometimes 2 jobs. I have only received emails that my app is being reviewed. I was concerned b/c I hadnt really heard anything. I am going to re-take the DAT b/c the math was CRAZY, at least for me, the last math class I had was about 9 yrs ago. Any advice/suggestions/info?? Should I still think it is a possibility? I have heard a lot of really good things about the facility. The CAD/CAM- are you guys learning the CEREC machine???? I am not sure if that is the same machine you are referring to or not?? If so, that is so awesome. I love that machine. It has been awhile since I assisted w/it, but the office I worked at that had it, has 3 of them!!

From what I recall, UMD didn't look at math/pat as heavily as some other schools, but focused more on Bio/Ochem....esp Bio. You might still be OK, a lot of the kids in my class interviewed after Dec, and they were fine (including myself). I'm pretty sure it's the CEREC machine, so far we haven't gotten to work with it (as of semester 1 of D2) but I imagine after we finished our fixed course, we will. I think they're going to divide us into small groups and take us though it.

Your DAT isn't terrible, but you're GPA isn't doing you any favors. I don't know exactly what the adcoms look for, but I do know that the former hygiene students have a huge advantage, esp first year, so maybe they will look favorably on your app. I worked between 30-60 hours a week during undergrad as well, I don't know if it helped me get in or not, but it certainly didn't hurt.

Do you know how strict they are with their LOR? I have one from a science professor, 1 from an orthodontist, and 1 from the directory of diversity at my university (i've been involved in plenty of cultural organizations). I was going to have a second science LOR but i'm afraid my professor isn't going to come through with it.
I have a 3.5 OVR and a 3.3 Science. I'm an accounting major. Dat was AA/TS/PAT 21/22/18 and I am currently taking biochemistry and A&P 1. I already applied and am hoping to get a second science LOR by the end of the semester from my A&P teacher (I'm pretty sure I'll get an A in the course) and will send that in if I can.
I already sent my Application in. Do you think i should call and ask?

My best advice would be to call and ask, no harm in that. I remember I went though some trouble to get the asked for letters though.

I'm glad things have changed for the better. CAD/CAM sounds great. No more wax-up! I had a very rough 3 years and had to drop out due to colitis. Good luck to all of you.

Haha as if. We're still going to learn waxups...CAD/CAM is a great technology though, the future certainly lies with it....greater efficiency for both the patient and the dentist!

are you an Akiyama fan?

are you an Akiyama fan?

Who isn't? MMA: Akiyama, BJ, Machida, A. Silva, W. Silva. Muay Thai: Yodeccha Sityodtong, and all of Kru Sityodtong's people.

There's a few of us at Maryland that train/trained and regularly watch the fights :)

Maka are you still alive? How is your clinical experience going?

If you have any questions regarding UMD dental school go ahead and ask and I'll do my best to answer. I'm in my 2nd year, and I'm an out of state resident.
I have 3W's. Do you know anyone who has that much. Thank you

Why did you chose Maryland over other dental schools?

Hi,

I've recently been accepted for class of 2021. Does University of Maryland conduct background checks on their accepted students?

Hi,

I've recently been accepted for class of 2021. Does University of Maryland conduct background checks on their accepted students?

Reviving a 6 year old thread probably isn't the best way to get an answer haha

But no, I don't think Maryland performs a background check (at least not through AADSAS). We would have gotten an email along with the acceptance if they did

They might conduct one privately..that I don't know for sure

Reviving a 6 year old thread probably isn't the best way to get an answer haha

But no, I don't think Maryland performs a background check (at least not through AADSAS). We would have gotten an email along with the acceptance if they did

They might conduct one privately..that I don't know for sure

Shoot haha. I didn't even realize that this thread is that old. I'm just curious because I know some schools participate in a background check program with AADSAS and schools that don't usually run them privately but I know they need to ask for your consent in order to run your background check. I assume you weren't aware of something like that?

But thank you for helping!

Shoot haha. I didn't even realize that this thread is that old. I'm just curious because I know some schools participate in a background check program with AADSAS and schools that don't usually run them privately but I know they need to ask for your consent in order to run your background check. I assume you weren't aware of something like that?

But thank you for helping!

I'm like 95% sure they don't use the program through AADSAS. Otherwise you would have gotten an email about it already

As for private checks, they might send you a request in the next couple of months to ask for permission. I'm in the same boat as you, so we'll just have to wait and see

I'm like 95% sure they don't use the program through AADSAS. Otherwise you would have gotten an email about it already

As for private checks, they might send you a request in the next couple of months to ask for permission. I'm in the same boat as you, so we'll just have to wait and see
Yeah, I've heard mixed things. Some say they do and some say they do not so I'm not really sure. For some reason I can't find anything about university of maryland background check policy anywhere.

Yeah, I've heard mixed things. Some say they do and some say they do not so I'm not really sure. For some reason I can't find anything about university of maryland background check policy anywhere.
Maybe pick up the phone.