Maryland vs UDM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothapp

Reaction score
I'm in state for UDM, but they are private, so tuition-wise it doesn't make a huge difference, I also heard Maryland offers in-state tuition after year one.

School 1: UDM
IS
Pros:
  • close to home
  • familiar with the area
  • familiar with current students + alum
  • good clinical experience
Cons:
  • have seen all the other X school vs Y school posts including UDM almost always pick the other option
School 2: Maryland
OOS
Pros:
  • clinical strength
  • more prestigious
  • have one close friend there
  • a change from being in detroit for the past 5 years
Cons:
  • location in baltimore -very unfamiliar with the area

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in state for UDM, but they are private, so tuition-wise it doesn't make a huge difference, I also heard Maryland offers in-state tuition after year one.

School 1: UDM
IS
Pros:
  • close to home
  • familiar with the area (went to undergrad in detroit)
  • familiar with current students + alum
Cons:
  • have seen all the other X school vs Y school posts including UDM almost always pick the other option
School 2: Maryland
OOS
Pros:
  • clinical strength
  • more prestigious
  • have one close friend there
  • a change from being in detroit for the past 5 years
Cons:
  • location in baltimore -very unfamiliar with the area
pick the other option...

Members don't see this ad :)
if you've read all the other x vs y posts, you should know why by now...
Ppl are mostly talking about how the area is dangerous, but having been in detroit im familiar with the area so its not a huge factor for me, ive also heard the same sentiment about baltimore, honestly on a worse level. Is there any reasons other than that? Like ab the school and education itself

Reactions: 1 user
I think you can switch to in-state at Maryland after the first year still? I’d figure that out because that would make a significant cost difference. Family support and familiarity is valuable but I’d put it at less than a $100k value.

“Danger” is probably pretty similar and most dental schools you should go home before dark, don’t do lab work on the evenings go on a weekend afternoon.

Reactions: 1 users
Both campuses are located near very underresourced communities who need the care and cannot afford it. You should be street smart, but that goes with most urban center campuses.

Reactions: 1 users