Ask a resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homo sapien

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm a 1st year podiatry resident as well as a recent pod school graduate. The reason I posted this here is because I know when I began school what I thought and what ended up being reality were two totally different things. Now, I went to Temple, so if you want to ask things school specific I can't answer for any of the other schools. But if you're in school and you want to ask stuff about just general classes or studying or externships or something, go ahead and ask and I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge and ability. Maybe this might turn into a little bit of help for future students down the line

also if you want to ask but not publicly, a PM works too

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for doing this AMA! Do you believe going to Temple can give a student a slight advantage in matching into high powered programs in the northeast over schools not in the region? In other words, are there programs that are a little bit more biased towards certain schools over others?

Thank you for doing this AMA! Do you believe going to Temple can give a student a slight advantage in matching into high powered programs in the northeast over schools not in the region? In other words, are there programs that are a little bit more biased towards certain schools over others?
I mean maybe? I'd say it's more statewise because you know New York, for example, has NYCPM. PA schools seem to like Temple people and NY schools seem to like NY people but if your grades are good/externship evals are good I wouldn't let it stop you from applying to a different place. I have classmates who went all over, and have some still in PA who have co-residents from everywhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
and I myself am a Temple person who scrambled into a midwestern program .We're really all over. I won't say that area doesn't matter (people might question a California person trying to go to Delaware, for example) but generally there's either enough programs in your area or if your grades and the like are good enough, that you might not be left out

What was your journey like for 4th year clerkships?
What do programs really look for in an applicant besides GPA/Rank/Research/boards 1st Pass?
How busy is 1st year of residency? What do you like? What do you dislike?
Are you married, and if so, do you plan to have children and when?
Do they pay you enough to eat?

What was your journey like for 4th year clerkships?
What do programs really look for in an applicant besides GPA/Rank/Research/boards 1st Pass?
How busy is 1st year of residency? What do you like? What do you dislike?
Are you married, and if so, do you plan to have children and when?
Do they pay you enough to eat?

So, for me, my 4th year clerkships were kind of different. I did 5 because I had to retake my part I boards in June. My grades weren't super great so when I was selecting programs I selected based on- no GPA requirements, and if they gave food/housing to students of some sort. I ended up starting my first in Philly, then to NJ then to FL, then to MI, then finishing my last one in Philly. It was kind of hard because it was expensive and I didn't know anybody where I was going but I got along ok. The big things are to make sure you show up on time, don't leave until you are told you can, and try not to get in the way too much. We residents don't like that. Even if you go to a place and it's total crap and you hate it; don't dick around, because people at that program could know people you like at another program and your reputation could be trash.

What programs look for depend on the program. There are programs that are super academic that are all about the grades portfolio. The program I am with, for example, don't care. If they like you and you seem competent you have a chance to get in. Me and my fellow residents literally sit down sometimes and discuss: do we like this one? do we not like this one? is (s)he annoying? without any worrying about their grades. I don't know how much research matters, though, for some programs because they are heavy in research like Temple's program and others are not. It won't hurt you but if you're depending on research to save you if your personality sucks and you're irresponsible and grades suck then you'll probably have a bad time.

How busy 1st year is depends on a lot. My program is less busy than many other places. I have classmates in the region pulling 90+ hrs per week with heavy on call and stuff. I do maybe 50-55 at the most, but when I'm working, I'M WORKING. We have busy clinics we cover, and a generally average surgery load. We aren't like these places that have 500 surgeries a day and everyone gets all their numbers by 1st year's ending but there are definitely places like that. Our call is fairly light because we don't have an ED attached to our hospital. And then also you have external rotations which when you do those, you work however long they tell you to. So you can be working 60 hrs a week at your base hospital then go off to ED and be working 100. I like the clinics and the wound care and getting my hands involved, even in a small amount, in cases. I don't like call, call sucks, but usually only 1st years take heavy call so I'll survive. and me and my co-1st years are fairly good about distributing call equally

Am I married. NO

Do I want to have kids. NO

When do I think is best to plan them? I mean residency generally might suck and the first few years out might probably suck so if you want to birth a kid then honestly probably just do it. It might suck regardless.

Do they pay you enough to eat? What do you want to eat? You want to go to prime rib steakhouse every day? probably not without ancillary income. You want to eat regular vegetables and stuff? sure? My program gives us free (albeit sometimes mediocre) food though. It saves a lot. There are only so many ways you can mess up bacon and eggs and potatoes. Also it depends on where you go. Making 50K in Alabama, or Texas (no income tax)for example, gets you farther than 50K in New York or California. I've read that there are loans out there for residents who need a little extra money to survive (which I think that being a thing is crap to begin with, but that's a whole other conversation).

One thing I would recommend though is pay attention to cost of living. I understand that people got family and other reasons for wanting to pick certain places, but residency is just 3-4 years. You won't learn everything about everything. You will graduate and maybe never have seen some things. Just because you will be an attending doesn't mean you can't ask for help or have known everything. But look at the cost of living in certain places, especially if you have a family, because is it really worth it to desperately try for Residency X in Manhattan when you can also try for Residency B in Cleveland or Residency F in Tennessee and generally get paid the same amount but be able to save a little money?

Another thing- without ancillary income, be frugal. You don't need to be buying a boat and a sports car and opera tickets on resident's salary

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Is what you heard about podiatry in terms of lack of respect, job opportunities (I know you may not be able to answer this now), or any of the normal gloom you see on here occasionally present?

Is what you heard about podiatry in terms of lack of respect, job opportunities (I know you may not be able to answer this now), or any of the normal gloom you see on here occasionally present?

The lack of respect thing, in some cases yes. It doesn't become a big deal unless you are at a big hospital where foot and ankle orthopedics exist. As far as job opportunities, maybe? It depends. If you are going somewhere where there is a lot of programs and podiatrists then you might very well get lowballed on money offers. Or if you have a poor reputation from residency word gets around and that could shrink your job offers. As far as I know, from talking to attendings and recently graduated people, and from job offers I see in magazines and on the internet, if you are willing to go off the beaten path there are decent salary offers out there.

Are you glad that you decided to go Podiatry vs trying for MD DO now that you are in residency? Would you pick it again? Are your peers satisfied as well?

Do you find your job overall satisfying?

What aspects of your job do you wish you could change?

You mentioned lack of respect with Ortho. Do other doctors show respect to DPMs?

Do you find Podiatry to have more paperwork and dictation than other specialties? Or is it about the same?

Do you find other doctors or healthcare professionals have a good idea of what a DPM is/does in the hospital?

Do most of the residents end up getting jobs after graduation?

Are you glad that you decided to go Podiatry vs trying for MD DO now that you are in residency? Would you pick it again? Are your peers satisfied as well?

Do you find your job overall satisfying?

What aspects of your job do you wish you could change?

You mentioned lack of respect with Ortho. Do other doctors show respect to DPMs?

Do you find Podiatry to have more paperwork and dictation than other specialties? Or is it about the same?

Do you find other doctors or healthcare professionals have a good idea of what a DPM is/does in the hospital?

Do most of the residents end up getting jobs after graduation?

Would I do it again? Sure. I like it. I like that the boards are P/F/ and you know your specialty from the moment you step into school. I like feet well enough. It's another body part. I can't imagine going MD or something and being shoehorned into some specialty by USMLE. Plus podiatry allows me lots of wound care, which I like

Yes, I find my job satifsying. I like it. My only thing is that, like anything, some days it will be routine and boring but that doesn't equate to it not being good

What do I wish I could change? Reimbursements, maybe, and less paperwork and noncompliant patients.

Generally, with the respect thing, it's more of a 'do you know what podiatry can do'. In my hospital we have hip and spine ortho and they treat us just fine. But we also aren't going after hip and spine work though. If it's a hospital where pods have a big presence the doctors have more of a clue what all they are capable of

I don't know what other dictation and paperwork amount other specialties have so I can't say.

The residents that have graduated from my program in the past 2 years before I arrived all have jobs that I know of. Now whether or not it's a quality job, I can't answer for sure. Some probably are, some probably are not.

Reactions: 1 user