Rude resident on externship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrancescaReynold

Reaction score
There is this one third year resident at my current externship that I am over 90% sure doesn’t like me at all. This is my first week and so I am still getting a hang of things but she snapped at me couple of times already because I didn’t know how she likes to do things or that I am not supposed to put a patient who needs imaging into a room. I always apologize to her right after she snaps at me but she doesn’t seem to really care. She is also very passive aggressive with me and never makes eye contact with me when speaking to a group. I am always respectful to her but I am starting to dread going there everyday already knowing she will be there. Today, I actually cried in the bathroom because I was never in this uncomfortable position before at a program (not bragging but even the toughest attendings at my other programs liked me and never yelled at me). I don’t know what I am doing wrong because I get along with every other resident at this program but her. I wouldn’t have cared if this was at school but because it’s my externship, it’s been very stressful for me. I would really appreciate any advice or just any of your thoughts. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Please change your name to something anonymous if that is your real name. You never know it that resident is on SDN and will see it.

It's them and not you. As hard as it is, don't let them get to you. Confide in a trusted advisor at your school or a friend or classmate you trust. This shall pass, but unfortunately, it won't be the last time you will deal with difficult individuals either a future colleague or patient. Got to learn how to not let them get to you.

Reactions: 6 users
At some point you will get to roam the halls of ACFAS and see all the cool people and also all the sadistic sociopath stains. And you can talk to whoever you want to and ignore the rest.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s just very tough and distressing because it’s my externship and I want to be the best for all of them. I literally wouldn’t have cared if it were school because I used to get chewed out all the time by attendings and residents there. It’s just different when on externships because programs talk and I don’t want a bad rep from this resident carry over to my other programs.

There are people like that everywhere. Just avoid them. When you have to work with them, just play dumb and act happy. Grouchy people hate that. It is tempting to do the "yes mam, right away mam" or the "yes masta, please don't hurt me masta" or "anything my queen, I'm in your allegiance," but while that works at the bar or a party to joke on them and mock their being overbearing, it doesn't always work in a semi-hierarchy like a residency and can enrage them in an arena where they can really try to hurt you. So, just ignore them and don't react much.

You can potentially step on them by saying to the other chiefs or even the director that you "really like the hospital and the cases I've been seeing, but I just can't seem to crack the code to Dr. X's heart... but I'll keep trying to charm her." It depends on your personal style, but you will probably get a laugh from them as they've already seen this movie many times before.

I had one lady (3rd year resident while I was on clerkship) who was similar... no sense of humor, not that bright, acted like she was amazing, loved to try to intimidate students or step on them to look good. I figured out pretty quick during the month that even her co-residents gave her a wide berth. She was actually kept on staff at the prestigious program as an attending after graduation... and then they fired (probably "not renewed") her at that location after just a year or two. I have no idea where she is now, but I do know she'll have many more changes of job through her career.

People like that - in any profession - will bounce from job to job, place to place even if they are talented. They will bounce very often if only marginally talented. Just stay out of their way.

You also have to take it as a chance to point the finger the other way; see what you can do better. You are always going to have to deal with all kinds of bosses, colleagues, staff, patients, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There is this one third year resident at my current externship that I am over 90% sure doesn’t like me at all. This is my first week and so I am still getting a hang of things but she snapped at me couple of times already because I didn’t know how she likes to do things or that I am not supposed to put a patient who needs imaging into a room. I always apologize to her right after she snaps at me but she doesn’t seem to really care. She is also very passive aggressive with me and never makes eye contact with me when speaking to a group. I am always respectful to her but I am starting to dread going there everyday already knowing she will be there. Today, I actually cried in the bathroom because I was never in this uncomfortable position before at a program (not bragging but even the toughest attendings at my other programs liked me and never yelled at me). I don’t know what I am doing wrong because I get along with every other resident at this program but her. I wouldn’t have cared if this was at school but because it’s my externship, it’s been very stressful for me. I would really appreciate any advice or just any of your thoughts. Thank you.

Since this resident is in their 3rd year, they will not be there if you decide to apply and match. You should care more about your relationship with the current 1st and 2nd years. In this case, I would say sorry, ignore and move on. One of the worst things you can do as a STUDENT is talking back at a resident/attending. But, if they are going out of their way to make your life uncomfortable, then speak to that person alone and ask what you can do better to improve going forward. If you don't want to attend this program in the future, you can also speak to the PD and explain your situation.

Remember, you are paying for these externships; aside from the usual 'pimping,' you have every right to learn in a comfortable/healthy environment.

Is this program a VA program? Because I would hate my life too as a resident and be mean to students if I matched at a VA program relying on that crappy hospital to train me.

Students - if you see multiple residents scrubbed in on a toe amp/i&d, run (unless it’s to guide and teach) - run away. Don’t even bother evaluating the residents. If you see a sink full of used nippers by 8:30am, run faster. If you see a vacuum filled
To the brim with nail morsels and callus bacon bits by 10:00am, GTFO.

Reactions: 5 users
It’s just very tough and distressing because it’s my externship and I want to be the best for all of them. I literally wouldn’t have cared if it were school because I used to get chewed out all the time by attendings and residents there. It’s just different when on externships because programs talk and I don’t want a bad rep from this resident carry over to my other programs.

this happens, I’ve had this happen before, just remain cordial, the resident must be in a terrible situation to be so insecure that she needs to take it out on others. In your mind you can thank her for helping you grow thicker skin, and surpass her as you become a better person and doctor

I had 2 residents who were awful to me as a student and I still remember them/see them/planning a spiteful revenge. Both thought they were god's gift to podiatry.

When I was a resident I had students I didnt like/click with but I treated them with respect. Its hard to be a resident and slow down to teach what you feel is trivial. But it's a small profession. Dont be an a$$ to students. Every practicing DPM was a student too but many forget.

Just move on. ....And plan your future revenge.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
No not a VA program
If a podiatry resident is miserable enough to pick on students then it must be a terrible program. I went to a challenging residency but loved being a resident. Podiatry residency is one of the least stressful experiences in medicine compared to other specialties. If they are stressed out they must be at a bad program or mentally handicapped in that podiatry residency makes them stressed out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kill with Kindness- even if you are being chewed out. The people worth being around will recognize this and have your back.

Grow a thicker skin. I mean this in the nicest most encouraging way possible.
Different people are different and A holes will be A holes. There is nothing you can do to change that. Nothing.

Smile. Eat it. Ignore it soon as you step out of the hospital. This has nothing to do with you. This is them being angry at the world. You are not part of that equation. Tell yourself that before you walk into the hospital, and again when you walk out. Leave all that stuff at the door when you get back to your Airbnb. Use your weekends to de-stress.

Feet better.

• Care
One of the worst things you can do as a STUDENT is talking back at a resident/attending.
I’m not trying to take the spotlight from OP but I was wondering how do you deal with rude OR nurses or surg techs who constantly put you down and try to make you look bad? I have come across these types of people once or twice throughout my externships, I never talk back but sometimes they are just way too condescending and mean for absolutely no reason.

I’m not trying to take the spotlight from OP but I was wondering how do you deal with rude OR nurses or surg techs who constantly put you down and try to make you look bad? I have come across these types of people once or twice throughout my externships, I never talk back but sometimes they are just way too condescending and mean for absolutely no reason.
-Just get along and be nice to them. You are there to learn which potentially means you have no responsibility. They have to count needles, hold legs, and watch every inch of the sterile field. If you are there it means other students are there which means there's a constant stream of people coming through who don't know what they are doing. Some of these visitors are insanely incompetent.

-While pay at a lot of hourly type places has gone up - they are historically not well compensated for what they do. My main surgery center had an experienced tech quit to deliver pizzas at night and assistant manage a fast food restaurant because it paid more.

-They have to scrub with all surgeons, even people they aren't familiar with. Surgeons who are weird. Surgeons who do things differently. Surgeons who don't communicate. Probably some of them love the OR and some of them are ready for every day to be over. They scrub with people who do lap choles in 20 minutes and 3 hours, hammertoes in 10 minutes or an hour, and people on TV shows who spend 9 hours to do 2 lapidus and some toes.

-They really are a valuable resource. No matter how much you scrub cases - you leave the OR to do stuff elsewhere some of the time. They don't.

-Last of all - in 3-6 years - your life will theoretically improve. Money. A little prestige. Perhaps the prestigious board membership of your choice with or without CAQ plastered across your walls. The podiatrist tag under your name on SDN. Turns out other people have to watch advertisements. I didn't realize how good I had it.

So. Play nice now. In time you will hopefully scrub somewhere with awesome techs. And when you get them - praise them liberally, thank them often, and treat them the way you'd like to be treated. They really can help you.

As a student, I followed the attending and the other residents. If they were cool with it, then I was too. Now, if someone is disruptive or cursing during a case or does anything no normal, sane person would or says, I ask them to limit their talking or take a break. As a student, follow what was stated above. In the future, as an attending, you can decide to allow such behaviors during your cases or not. There are also many fantastic OR techs, so it all depends on the program, but like everything else in life...you have to find a way to work around it.

I’ve only had to deal with 2 bad eggs in my life so far. One power-tripping OR nurse but one day, she screwed up bad and the ortho trauma attending with me put her squarely in her place in the OR in front of everyone. It was glorious.

Otherwise follow the golden rule. My scrub techs and OR nurses go above and beyond to help me in all my cases as I don’t have an assist.

Just realize it's not personal, the worst thing you can do is talk back cus it'll never turn out well so kudos to you for keeping your cool

Yeah just bite your tongue, I’ve dealt with plenty miserable ones.

It's not you, it's her. Try not to internalize it. Think of it as training for all of the a-hole patients you'll come across in your career. Before I went to undergrad I was a laborer. For 3.5 years I had daily hazing (really rude content that wouldn't fly in today's workplace -- rape "jokes," racist "jokes," etc.) and now it takes a lot to rattle me.

Sorry you're having to deal with that nonsense. Totally stressful, I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There are some pathetic, insecure jerks who are mean to students because they know students can’t really do much about it. These people are weak cowards and have a massive inferiority complex. You will meet a few lowlife residents or attendings like this along the way.

Realize that in less than 4 years you'll most likely have a better lifestyle, be more financially secure, and not have such a terrible job as they do lol

I haven't encountered any of that after leaving Residency. If you're the one bringing cases they tend to be exceptionally nice to you. Right now they're on a lame power trip.

Is this program a VA program? Because I would hate my life too as a resident and be mean to students if I matched at a VA program relying on that crappy hospital to train me.

Why are the VA programs terrible to train at?

• Haha
Why are the VA programs terrible to train at?
Hmmm. Take your pick:

-Very few kids or female pts (when females have proportionately much more HAV, flatfoot, etc elective surgery).
-Many pts with psych issues.
-"Bubble" of govt EMR, pharmacy, etc... typically little "real world" private hospital/practice exp and pts.
-Staffing for nurses, clinic, etc can be limited and lazy as they have high job security in govt setup.
-Most VA pod programs were all created in a hurry... whether they had good and enough cases/attendings or not. They were the bail out for a residency shortage.
-Most VA pod programs get avg/low rank students as residents, so your co-res might not be rock stars.
-Disproportionate amount of easy/boring limb salvage and wound/amp cases at most VAs vs more technical elective and trauma stuff.
-Few or no MD residencies in VAs to learn from/with (some MDs from nearby Univ hospital residency may rotate there if you're lucky).
-Little research support or MedEd help for VA residents (see above).
-Not a generally a strong thing to have VA on your CV as residency... you will notice many VA pod residents/alumni try to disguise it by using the name of some other hospital that they did a rotation or two at (to avoid the reality of their residency certificate). I have seen that again and again when screening for hiring and just when browsing local doc websites; that should tell you something.

There are a handful of avg and even a few good VA podiatry residencies, but they are very few and far between. Never say never. Those DVA programs worth looking at are generally the VAs where the residents get to do a lot of outside surgery centers or private hospital cases to mitigate the above shortcomings. If you are a high rank student, they are mostly best as backups for clerk/match, though. Again, never say never.

Cus most were mediocre at best, might become better now that the mission act passed allowing podiatrists in VA to have better salary, therefore attending podiatrists will be more competent
Yep, it will take awhile. Best to get more of proven winners and let someone else take the mediocre spots and hope for improvements. There are some very good docs in VA setups and have been for awhile, but they are usually directors training 3+3+3 residents or something with only one or two decent RRA attendings at the facility. Not ideal.

I was blessed as a student... the Cleveland VA (+ another CBOC we went to) rocked. Loved every minute of it. Great attendings and residents.

This is a rare experience. When I was a student at Scholl we had to rotate at Lovell and Jesse Brown. Both were toenail and wound factories. Clinics couldn’t get done without students doing everything while the residents and attendings sat in their rooms. Awful.

This is a rare experience. When I was a student at Scholl we had to rotate at Lovell and Jesse Brown. Both were toenail and wound factories. Clinics couldn’t get done without students doing everything while the residents and attendings sat in their rooms. Awful.

This sounds much more like the VA experience.

That's the most crucial part of podiatry education. Otherwise we would lose our podiatry identity. That must be kept. It appears as all schools just use student during 3rd year to trim nails and help out in their clinics.

• Haha
That's the most crucial part of podiatry education. Otherwise we would lose our podiatry identity. That must be kept. It appears as all schools just use student during 3rd year to trim nails and help out in their clinics.
What do you want to do as a third year student?

Total toenail replacement surgery, skin to skin. See my avatar for further clarification.

• Haha
I would rather rotate through medicine and other off-service rotations during 3rd year and then don't do as many off-service rotations as a resident. Out of other specialties we probably do the most off-service rotations during podiatry residency. I have looked at around 40-50 programs and their residency curricula. We spend about 12 months out of 36 on off-service rotations. Most are completely useless to do as a resident because residents just shadow there.

I would rather have podiatry school closely mimic MD/DO structure and have nearly all 3 years of residency for podiatry service. Orthos do not even spend more than 6 months on off-service rotations during their 5-year residency program. They do Gen surg, Anesthesia, IM, rad and maybe Rehab. We pretty much use our valuable residency time to catch up on rotations we didn't do as students. Speaking to students from other schools I understand that 3rd and some 4th year is spent mostly rotating through school's or local pod clinics either shadowing or clipping nails and trimming calluses. Useless. Wasted time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I would rather have podiatry school closely mimic MD/DO structure and have nearly all 3 years for podiatry service. Orthos do not even spend more than 6 months on off-service rotations during their 5-year residency program. They do Gen surg, Anesthesia, IM, rad and maybe Rehab. We pretty much use our valuable residency time to catch up on rotations we didn't do as students. Speaking to students for other schools I understand that 3rd and some 4th year is spent mostly rotating through school's or local pod clinics either shadowing or clipping nails and trimming calluses. Useless. Wasted time.

Good point. I had a terrible time on my medicine rotations as a student because my school didn’t prepare me at all for it. Maybe the new podiatry schools will have this foresight? I might be asking for too much never mind

I was blessed as a student... the Cleveland VA (+ another CBOC we went to) rocked. Loved every minute of it. Great attendings and residents.
Are you high?! The Cleveland VA rotation is the biggest hell hole rotation Kent has. You are literally the ONLY person I have ever heard say they enjoyed the Cleveland VA rotation as a student. It is the biggest black hole of nail and wound care hell. No electives, no sports med, no trauma. All nails and wounds. 95% student run. Attendings just sit on their ass in their back room and do nothing. I lost pieces of my soul every time I went to that place

Are you high?! The Cleveland VA rotation is the biggest hell hole rotation Kent has. You are literally the ONLY person I have ever heard say they enjoyed the Cleveland VA rotation as a student. It is the biggest black hole of nail and wound care hell. No electives, no sports med, no trauma. All nails and wounds. 95% student run. Attendings just sit on their ass in their back room and do nothing. I lost pieces of my soul every time I went to that place
To each their own I suppose... I got along really well with the residents and attendings. I ranked them pretty high as well when it came to the Match, but ended up going to Ytown. I had some pretty awesome veteran patients, good memories and learned a lot.

I understand things have changed recently, as they are now a rotation site for the Mercy program.

I would rather rotate through medicine and other off-service rotations during 3rd year and then don't do as many off-service rotations as a resident. Out of other specialties we probably do the most off-service rotations during podiatry residency. I have looked at around 40-50 programs and their residency curricula. We spend about 12 months out of 36 on off-service rotations. Most are completely useless to do as a resident because residents just shadow there.

I would rather have podiatry school closely mimic MD/DO structure and have nearly all 3 years for podiatry service. Orthos do not even spend more than 6 months on off-service rotations during their 5-year residency program. They do Gen surg, Anesthesia, IM, rad and maybe Rehab. We pretty much use our valuable residency time to catch up on rotations we didn't do as students. Speaking to students for other schools I understand that 3rd and some 4th year is spent mostly rotating through school's or local pod clinics either shadowing or clipping nails and trimming calluses. Useless. Wasted time.

Could not agree more

Same can be said for majority of CSPM’s rotations as well.

I would rather have podiatry school closely mimic MD/DO structure and have nearly all 3 years of residency for podiatry service. Orthos do not even spend more than 6 months on off-service rotations during their 5-year residency program. They do Gen surg, Anesthesia, IM, rad and maybe Rehab. We pretty much use our valuable residency time to catch up on rotations we didn't do as students. Speaking to students from other schools I understand that 3rd and some 4th year is spent mostly rotating through school's or local pod clinics either shadowing or clipping nails and trimming calluses. Useless. Wasted time.
I completely agree. That being said, why this is, is purely historical. And yes, it needs to change. Back in my day, we hardly had any surgical residencies compared to today. More than half the class didn't match with surgical programs. They went to more "medicine based" residencies for one year. More like a medical internship than anything. I did one like that and then scored a two year surgical program which I was very fortunate to land.

Medicine rotations are important. But some of the others...I guess there is value in rotating with a pathologist...I guess...and a psychiatrist...maybe? Radiology...well...knowing how to read a belly CT can help in practice. Said no one ever.

I’m halfway through my 3rd year at TUSPM and my experience thus far has not been as you’ve described. We rotate through 3 modules: K-room (podiatry bread butter stuff), wound care and surgery. I am currently rotating with surgery and I have only had one nail patient in the last 2-3 weeks. It’s been a really great experience thus far seeing how the docs/residents manage post-op complications and walking me through the patients pre-op X-rays as well as the post-op treatment options. Also if a patient comes in and requires surgery, the docs are great about letting you do the pre-op paperwork and letting you shadow the case during their surgery day if you choose to do so.

I don’t know how the other schools do it, but 3rd year has been a great learning experience whether it was theoretical (talking through surgical approaches for charcot, ankle fusion etc and seeing the pre-op and post-op xrays) or hands on (doing a partial nail avulsion or plantar fascia injection).

I’m halfway through my 3rd year at TUSPM and my experience thus far has not been as you’ve described. We rotate through 3 modules: K-room (podiatry bread butter stuff), wound care and surgery. I am currently rotating with surgery and I have only had one nail patient in the last 2-3 weeks. It’s been a really great experience thus far seeing how the docs/residents manage post-op complications and walking me through the patients pre-op X-rays as well as the post-op treatment options. Also if a patient comes in and requires surgery, the docs are great about letting you do the pre-op paperwork and letting you shadow the case during their surgery day if you choose to do so.

I don’t know how the other schools do it, but 3rd year has been a great learning experience whether it was theoretical (talking through surgical approaches for charcot, ankle fusion etc and seeing the pre-op and post-op xrays) or hands on (doing a partial nail avulsion or plantar fascia injection).
this is a lie, and makes me wonder if you're associated with the school, but i'll just take your word that you are an actual 3rd year at TUSPM and haven't done all your rounds. I went here and 3rd year was terrible. All the doctors just sat on their a** and made 3rd years do everything. The worst ones were Dr. McGwire, Dr. Moore, and Dr. Palamarchuk but the other ones were terrible too. If anyone is considering podiatry school, DO NOT GO TO TUSPM!

Reactions: 3 users
this is a lie, and makes me wonder if you're associated with the school, but i'll just take your word that you are an actual 3rd year at TUSPM and haven't done all your rounds. I went here and 3rd year was terrible. All the doctors just sat on their a** and made 3rd years do everything. The worst ones were Dr. McGwire, Dr. Moore, and Dr. Palamarchuk but the other ones were terrible too. If anyone is considering podiatry school, DO NOT GO TO TUSPM!
This is what one of them is saying on their spotlight page. If you go to podiatry, a lot of what you will be doing is "proving yourself to the medical community".

Can't believe they actually posted this on their school's website. Anyone considering podiatry and reading this on school's website should think hard about going into this profession. Warning ⚠️ is right there.

1669817485912.png

• Wow
This is what one of them is saying on their spotlight page. If you go to podiatry, a lot of what you will be doing is "proving yourself to the medical community".

Can't believe they actually posted this on their school's website. Anyone considering podiatry and reading this on school's website should think hard about going into this profession. Warning ⚠️ is right there.

View attachment 362663
Truth in advertising?

Oh, and add the, "yes, attendance and presence is mandatory because the instructors are MD / DO and we want to make sure they know and respect us too, so show up!"

I wish I was making this stuff up.

• Hmm
Status
Not open for further replies.