Ask a Texas Med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvoDevo

Forging a Different Path
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wherein you can ask questions of current TX med students from various schools, and we'll attempt to answer your questions to the best of our abilities.

If you're a TX med student, put your name on here, along with your school and year [MS1, MS2, etc].

Good luck everyone!

---------------
UTHSC-San Antonio
EvoDevo [MS2]

UTSouthwestern
Alexander Pink, M.D. [MS2]
Cram [MS2]

UT Houston
Thanatos [MS2]
OddNath [MS2, tankmate of Thanatos]

Baylor
MadameLULU [MS2]

**edited 11.28.06 with proper class level**

Members don't see this ad.

2 questions: How are you today? And how do you think the PBL (does UT-SA have PBL sessions) has made you a better communicator, both with other students/healthcare workers and, more importantly, with patients?

EvoDevo said:
Wherein you can ask questions of current TX med students from various schools, and we'll attempt to answer your questions to the best of our abilities.

If you're a TX med student, put your name on here, along with your school and year [MS1, MS2, etc].

Good luck everyone!

---------------

UTHSC-San Antonio

EvoDevo [MS1]

UTSouthwestern

Alexander Pink, M.D. [MS1]

Members don't see this ad :)
desiredusername said:
2 questions: How are you today? And how do you think the PBL (does UT-SA have PBL sessions) has made you a better communicator, both with other students/healthcare workers and, more importantly, with patients?
I'm fine, thanks for asking. :)

As for PBL....UTSA doesn't have much in the way of primary PBL. By that I mean that none of our classes are structured around that learning style. So I can't really speak to that aspect of a curriculum. However, in two of our classes [Immunology & Physiology] there is significant PBL-style learning.

For Immuno, you learn it all on your own over the course of seven weeks, and then the last week before exams you have what are called "Immuno Ground Rounds." What that means is that you get a series of cases [~12] in which you have to explain disease mechanisms, etiology, etc., and be able to defend your answers publicly [this all takes place in front of the whole class]. It's VERY informative and puts all of the things that you spent individual study time learning into perspective. It works like nothing else and our classe's performance on our last exam was so outstanding that the prof could barely contain himself. :)

In Physiology we have weekly quizzes on Mondays, one part individual [10 questions] and the second part [20 questions] as part of a small group of 5 students. Again, it's not the primary teaching tool for the course, but man, it really seems to clear up gray areas, and solidify areas that you have a good handle on. It's always interesting to see who's going to have a grasp of the material that week. ;)

As far as pt care....I don't think I can answer that yet. And I'm not sure whether PBL per se will necessarily do that. Communication skills seem either intrinsic or learned via other type of learning situations.

There you have my two cents.

Alexander Pink said:
---------------

UTHSC-San Antonio

EvoDevo [MS1]

UTSouthwestern

Thanks for joining up, Alex. :thumbup:

I don't know if this was asked already, but is it a good sign to have interviews early in Texas. I mean, in general, if you were at the first and second interview dates for all the schools, how good of an indicator could that be that the particular school wants you. In essence, what are your chances of getting your top choice?

I've received an interview from only one TX school so far. Is all hope lost of receiving more interviews from TX schools?

EvoDevo said:
For Immuno, you learn it all on your own over the course of seven weeks, and then the last week before exams you have what are called "Immuno Ground Rounds."

What do you mean "you learn it all on your own"?

How many students per body in anatomy?

What is the grading like? Are tests all multiple choice?

Hey Alexander Pink...

what's there to do for a med student in Dallas? I hear the actual city is quite small.

And more importantly, how has it been so far at UTSW in general? Are profs approachable? As someone who of course wants to do well in MS but isn't terribly fanatical about grades, will I find a group of students who are laid back like myself? How many classmates have you gotten to know so far? Does this feel like 20 questions? ;-)

Thanks for any answers you can offer. I'm extremely interested in UTSW yet I know little about the 'feel' of the school as I know nobody from the program.

potato

---------------

UTHSC-San Antonio

EvoDevo [MS1]

UTSouthwestern

UT Houston

Thanatos [MS1]

Cozmosis said:
How hot is it in Texas? Overbearing?

It's hot, but it won't kill you. Everybody has air conditioning, in fact they keep the school buildings so damn cold we walk around inside with pull-overs and jackets in the summer! The trade off, at least in Houston, is that it doesn't get cold :)

Someone asked about anatomy lab....we have 4 people to a cadaver which works out well, you can all take turns doing different things (dissecting, reading the directions, finding pics in the atlas, etc....)

All of our tests are multiple choice with the exception of anatomy lab practicals, where you get to fill in the blank :)

Cozmosis said:
How hot is it in Texas? Overbearing?

yes!! i'm not a medical student in texas, but i spent three years in austin, and it's unbelievably hot. in the summers, late spring and early fall, you basically avoid going outside. i'm whiny about the heat, but it's too hot for me to ever want to live there again. the other weather drag is that they don't reallly have much in the way of seasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
ROOwala06 said:
I don't know if this was asked already, but is it a good sign to have interviews early in Texas. I mean, in general, if you were at the first and second interview dates for all the schools, how good of an indicator could that be that the particular school wants you. In essence, what are your chances of getting your top choice?
It really doesn't matter in terms of the Match. Some ppl in my class interviewed in August and others in December, so I really don't think that it matters too much.

However, this may all change with the elimination of the Match.

chaeymaey said:
I've received an interview from only one TX school so far. Is all hope lost of receiving more interviews from TX schools?
Not all hope, no. One of my classmates received an interview for December late in November last year, so it can happen. Are you being nicely persistent with the adcoms? The squeaky wheel gets the grease! :luck:

When you say "being nicely persistent to the adcoms" what do you mean exactly? Like call the admissions office or write a letter of interest? B/c I really want an interview at UTSA but I haven't gotten one at all.

Lythanh said:
When you say "being nicely persistent to the adcoms" what do you mean exactly? Like call the admissions office or write a letter of interest? B/c I really want an interview at UTSA but I haven't gotten one at all.
There's a way to be persistent w/o being stupid. Like, writing a letter & email a week detailing just WHY you're such a great fit for the school, what you have to offer, etc. A lady I know did just this for a school on the East Coast and ended up with both an interview and acceptance. Remember, it's your life and career, so why not be agressive?

The way to not do it would be to call every week and petulantly ask when you're going to get an interview, or to call and then meekly accept the "we're still reviewing applications" line.

Not that you're doing either of these things; however, think about how many of the second type of interactions that the adcoms have.....and if you were on an adcom, what kind of applicant would you want to hear from?? Just my opinion...

I almost applied to SA because my friend won't stop raving about how awesome San Antonio is. I think the separate app system and low out of state numbers threw me off though.

is everything really bigger in texas?

UTHSC-San Antonio
EvoDevo [MS1]

UTSouthwestern

UT Houston
Thanatos [MS1]
OddNath [MS1, tankmate of Thanatos]

potato51 said:
Hey Alexander Pink...

what's there to do for a med student in Dallas? I hear the actual city is quite small.

And more importantly, how has it been so far at UTSW in general? Are profs approachable? As someone who of course wants to do well in MS but isn't terribly fanatical about grades, will I find a group of students who are laid back like myself? How many classmates have you gotten to know so far? Does this feel like 20 questions? ;-)

Thanks for any answers you can offer. I'm extremely interested in UTSW yet I know little about the 'feel' of the school as I know nobody from the program.

potato

I actually find dallas has a lot to do, atleast more than houston, but not as much as Austin (the best city in Tx!). There is a free sushi deal at Steel on weds. (an upscale joint), plenty of shopping, six flags in arlington, and most other things you'd expect in a big city. I don't like that we have no parks or outdoors type things, but other than that there are a number of activities for your time. I am into upscale things so i find more than enough to do. I have enjoyed UTSW and am happy with my choice. The profs differ in their approachability/ willingness to help. You can easily see them and discuss things, but some are more willing to help than others. The biochem class is poorly structured and has a horrible sylabus, not to mention the profs aren't the best. However, Anatomy is the exact opposite, well organized and has excellent (I mean it) profs that are very nice and helpful. Genetics is in between. It really ranges. There are laid back students, but i won't lie, the class as a whole studies a lot. The class averages are high and people know their stuff. However, this doesn't mean it is a competitive environment, because its not. People are competitive in the sense that we all want to do well, but people are very helpful. Review guides, strategies, websites, and other stuff are always emailed to the class from our peers, and people arrange study sessions/review sessions for class. Out of 235 students I guarentee you will find a group that suits you. The personalities really range since there are so many people, but everyone works hard, which does translate into 85 - 90 averages on tests (is this normal? Probably). I know atleast 60 of my classmates, but I am very outgoing. You can easily meet new people and find friends. Yes this feels like 20 questions (it wasn't?) :p

Alexander Pink said:
I actually find dallas has a lot to do, atleast more than houston, but not as much as Austin (the best city in Tx!).

Good to hear. I've lived in Houston nearly my whole life, but I enjoyed living in Austin for undergrad many times more.

I have enjoyed UTSW and am happy with my choice. The profs differ in their approachability/ willingness to help. You can easily see them and discuss things, but some are more willing to help than others. The biochem class is poorly structured and has a horrible sylabus, not to mention the profs aren't the best. However, Anatomy is the exact opposite, well organized and has excellent (I mean it) profs that are very nice and helpful. Genetics is in between. It really ranges.

Awesome and very reassuring to hear it from a student himself. Strange about biochem. Every Texas med school at which I've interviewed, students have gripes with the biochem course.

There are laid back students, but i won't lie, the class as a whole studies a lot. The class averages are high and people know their stuff. However, this doesn't mean it is a competitive environment, because its not. People are competitive in the sense that we all want to do well, but people are very helpful. Review guides, strategies, websites, and other stuff are always emailed to the class from our peers, and people arrange study sessions/review sessions for class.

Also good to hear. This is the kind of environment I was looking for in a med school.

Out of 235 students I guarentee you will find a group that suits you. The personalities really range since there are so many people, but everyone works hard, which does translate into 85 - 90 averages on tests (is this normal? Probably). I know atleast 60 of my classmates, but I am very outgoing. You can easily meet new people and find friends. Yes this feels like 20 questions (it wasn't?) :p

85-90? Wow, impressive... no wonder that short-lived grading policy by Dr. Gilman freaked some people out.

Thanks a ton for the reply... hope you're kicking ass over there.

Any updates on the new medical school in El Paso? Is it still scheduled to start 2008?

UTHSC-San Antonio
EvoDevo [MS1]

UTSouthwestern

UT Houston
Thanatos [MS1]

Baylor
MadameLULU [MS1]

Perhaps this thread should be renamed Ask a Texas MS1 Med Student

Evo, just a thought....maybe you should update your first post with everyone's usernames & schools??

Hi MadameLULU

Is it too late to get an interview from Baylor? Have you heard of anyone getting accepted who has not interviewed at this point? Thanks!

kaffy said:
Hi MadameLULU

Is it too late to get an interview from Baylor? Have you heard of anyone getting accepted who has not interviewed at this point? Thanks!
They interview until mid-Feb, so it's not too late yet. If you're really interested in Baylor, I suggest you send a letter of interest to the dean of admissions :luck: :luck:

MadameLULU said:
They interview until mid-Feb, so it's not too late yet. If you're really interested in Baylor, I suggest you send a letter of interest to the dean of admissions :luck: :luck:

so, even before an interview invite it is acceptable to send a letter of intent? What sort of information should I include in this letter (i.e. should I simply talk about my desire to go to Baylor or should I include more stuff that wasn't on my app)?

Y_Marker said:
Any updates on the new medical school in El Paso? Is it still scheduled to start 2008?

"Lawmakers approved creating the medical school in 2003. One of the three buildings is complete, and construction of the second is scheduled to start soon. Texas Tech officials said they need $38.5 million to continue the accreditation process and stay on schedule to open the four-year school in 2008.

University officials have said that because of continued funding setbacks, they may soon be forced to wait until 2009."

http://www.elpasotimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051117/NEWS/511170325/1001

MadameLULU said:
UTHSC-San Antonio
EvoDevo [MS1]

UTSouthwestern

UT Houston
Thanatos [MS1]

Baylor
MadameLULU [MS1]

Perhaps this thread should be renamed Ask a Texas MS1 Med Student

Evo, just a thought....maybe you should update your first post with everyone's usernames & schools??
Just did. Thanks for joining us. :)

MadameLULU said:
MadameLULU, what are the students at Baylor like; how do you all interact? Do you see students from UT Houston alot? Also, many schools have some fun project or experience for the students (ex. UT Houston has hte retreat and UT Southwestern has the fourth year videos) does Baylor do anything like that?

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
MadameLULU, what are the students at Baylor like; how do you all interact? Do you see students from UT Houston alot? Also, many schools have some fun project or experience for the students (ex. UT Houston has hte retreat and UT Southwestern has the fourth year videos) does Baylor do anything like that?

Baylor has a 2 day retreat to Chain-O-Lakes and a week long orientation where you hangout w/ the 2nd-4th years at various locations around houston (mostly rice-village). The interaction with the UT-Houston students is very little. Baylor kids vary greatly from class to class for example the current first and third years tend to be more of the studious type while the second and fourth years tend to be more outgoing.

EvoDevo said:
There's a way to be persistent w/o being stupid. Like, writing a letter & email a week detailing just WHY you're such a great fit for the school, what you have to offer, etc. A lady I know did just this for a school on the East Coast and ended up with both an interview and acceptance. Remember, it's your life and career, so why not be agressive?
how do you write a letter every week or so without annoying the adcom? i just sent an email to UTSW and UTH today talking about my desire to attend and sorta why i'd fit in. i'm going to do this for UTSA and tech tomorrow. i would definitely do this every week, i just don't understand how you do this without pissing off the adcom.

Also, when is the best time to write letter or intent? After interviews or if we notice we havent received interviews from some schools is that the best time?
Another question, how does the ranking system affect you all? For example, is it a curved system or absolute scale and does that have any effect on the level of the exams...Thanks for all your responses! :)

it. said:
is everything really bigger in texas?

well it has the world's largest medical center :p

EvoDevo said:
It really doesn't matter in terms of the Match. Some ppl in my class interviewed in August and others in December, so I really don't think that it matters too much.

However, this may all change with the elimination of the Match.

I think the person was asking about getting into med school, not matching into a residency program, Evo.

But what really caught my eye: eliminating the Match? Is this a rumor or a well-known fact? I haven't heard of it, but then again I'm still pre-med. :confused:

mustangsally65 said:
I think the person was asking about getting into med school, not matching into a residency program, Evo.

But what really caught my eye: eliminating the Match? Is this a rumor or a well-known fact? I haven't heard of it, but then again I'm still pre-med. :confused:
Um, the Texas system has a Match system dahlin'. ;)

yourmom25 said:
how do you write a letter every week or so without annoying the adcom? i just sent an email to UTSW and UTH today talking about my desire to attend and sorta why i'd fit in. i'm going to do this for UTSA and tech tomorrow. i would definitely do this every week, i just don't understand how you do this without pissing off the adcom.
Dunno. Get really creative about crafting a positive message, I guess.

EvoDevo said:
Um, the Texas system has a Match system dahlin'. ;)

Oops. Nevermind! :oops: I really didn't know that. I knew there was the separate application, but i guess I didn't figure they'd name it the same thing as the residency "match."

I'll get out of your thread now, and go back to the NC thread. :D

mustangsally65 said:
Oops. Nevermind! :oops: I really didn't know that. I knew there was the separate application, but i guess I didn't figure they'd name it the same thing as the residency "match."

I'll get out of your thread now, and go back to the NC thread. :D
:D

yourmom25 said:
yourmom, I think if you're going to woo a school, you have to concentrate on one. I mean, if you're sending love letters to every school in the state, they're going to catch on to you. :p :smuggrin: I'm guessing that Evo's colleague must have picked ONE school and persisted in trying to convince that ONE school to take her, and THAT is why her strategy worked. Back to the love letter analogy: if you want to convince me to marry you, you'd better not also be sending proposals to half a dozen other girls. :smuggrin:

^^^ lol. i didn't think about that...actually that's why i didn't send the email to UTSA and Tech today. i wanted to consider the effect of sending it to all the schools. UTH and UTSW are really my top choices though, so i guess i can continue sending love letters to those two schools.

maybe i can stalk them a little too. haha.

yourmom25 said:
^^^ lol. i didn't think about that...actually that's why i didn't send the email to UTSA and Tech today. i wanted to consider the effect of sending it to all the schools. UTH and UTSW are really my top choices though, so i guess i can continue sending love letters to those two schools.

NO STALKING! :eek: :scared: Ok, so I guess you can have two loves. But not four. :p

QofQuimica said:
NO STALKING! :eek: :scared: Ok, so I guess you can have two loves. But not four. :p

So...what if your two or three loves show you some interest (ie. interview you)? Should I do a little flirting (ie. send stuff, call) to make sure they don't forget about me or should I just wait....wait for the "proposal".on Feb.....hehehhee :p

mustangsally65 said:

Partially fact, both UTSW and UTH talked about it when I interviewed. But, they will have a rolling period where you have until a set date (before year endl?) to release all but one seat and then they will have a "modified match in the middle of Feb."

yourmom25 said:

I was told by the lady at the admissions that UTSW give interviews up until Nov... I'm not sure if that means they are done giving out interviews or that they will be at the end of this month....just in case ya'll are curious...

BlinkyCat said:
So...what if your two or three loves show you some interest (ie. interview you)? Should I do a little flirting (ie. send stuff, call) to make sure they don't forget about me or should I just wait....wait for the "proposal".on Feb.....hehehhee :p
This whole match thing that you guys do is completely different than what the rest of us have, so I don't know whether it would help or not. Do you have anything new to tell them about?

Hi, all

What was your impression of the interviews at the school that you are accepted? Was it really great, great, OK, not-too-bad, or bad?

I have decent stats (3.8+ GPA, 34 MCAT, some ECs), but I am a first-generation and still speak English with an accent. I don't think I did well on the interview. Do you think it will seriously hurt my chance at getting into Texas schools? (I'm a Texas resident).

Thanks