Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OddNath said:UT Houston
Thanatos [MS1]
OddNath [MS1, tankmate of Thanatos]
Oh yeah!!!! 👍
OddNath I say we spend our new found freedom on afternoons in a more pleasant environment than that damn lab 🙂
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
OddNath said:UT Houston
Thanatos [MS1]
OddNath [MS1, tankmate of Thanatos]
theblastopore said:Hi, all
What was your impression of the interviews at the school that you are accepted? Was it really great, great, OK, not-too-bad, or bad?
I have decent stats (3.8+ GPA, 34 MCAT, some ECs), but I am a first-generation and still speak English with an accent. I don't think I did well on the interview. Do you think it will seriously hurt my chance at getting into Texas schools? (I'm a Texas resident).
Thanks
theblastopore said:Hi, all
What was your impression of the interviews at the school that you are accepted? Was it really great, great, OK, not-too-bad, or bad?
I have decent stats (3.8+ GPA, 34 MCAT, some ECs), but I am a first-generation and still speak English with an accent. I don't think I did well on the interview. Do you think it will seriously hurt my chance at getting into Texas schools? (I'm a Texas resident).
Thanks
potato51 said:Hey Alexander Pink...
how has it been so far at UTSW in general? Are profs approachable? As someone who of course wants to do well in MS but isn't terribly fanatical about grades, will I find a group of students who are laid back like myself?
kaffy said:so, even before an interview invite it is acceptable to send a letter of intent? What sort of information should I include in this letter (i.e. should I simply talk about my desire to go to Baylor or should I include more stuff that wasn't on my app)?

MadameLULU said:Sorry, just saw this post now. I wouldn't send a letter of INTENT (this just says why you'd be a good good fit and let's the adcoms know that if accepted here, will come blah blah blah...) until after you've interviewed. At this point, a letter of INTEREST is more appropriate. You can go ahead and include why you'd like to go to Baylor and things you didn't include on AMCAS.
Best of luck![]()
Cram said:School is tough, and some classes could be done better. But this is true at every school. Overall, its a very good environment.-Cram
<waves> Hey, I remember you. I think I met you at a UTSW dinner thing, right?Cram said:EV0: please add me to the UTSW list. I changed my user name to something I like better - but you may remember me from last years paranoid TX post as MWhou.
-Cram
kaffy said:Thanks MadameLULU,
How would you suggest I send this letter? Email or snailmail? Should I send it directly to the Dean or just address it to him, but send it to the adcom office?
thanks again 🙂
MadameLULU said:<waves> Hey, I remember you. I think I met you at a UTSW dinner thing, right?
BTW, you gave some excellent advice on the "how to prepare for med school thread"
Cram said:Yea, at the pizza dinner & we bumped into each other at ms0, but were always going different directions! <waves back> Sounds like Baylor is going well for you - congrats! I keep in touch with a couple of people there; your curriculum at times makes me jealous (PF anatomy!!!), others make me cringe (I guess it cant be easy anywhere.) It would be nice to pick and choose just what we like!
Do you still have Tulane kids runng around at night/afternoon?
MadameLULU said:We don't have P/F anatomy, although anatomy is much less intense here than at other TX schools.
Yeah, we are sharing our facilities with Tulane students until the end of the school year. I have a feeling the 3rd/4th years will be sticking around here for longer. My experiences with them have been positive for the most part, but Im sure some of my classmates would disagree.
nope. nothing's p/f except preclinical electives (not to sure about clinical electives). Going to lab isn't mandatory though. I think it may be at other tx schools.Cram said:Man, how did I get that wrong? is lab pass/fail maybe? Ill have to have a chat w/my source!
Yeah, I agree-- these guys are much more relaxed than we were last year, but just wait until Janurary rolls around. Everyone will be logging into the TMDSAS website trying to figure out what Last action meansHave you noticed the current TX thread doesn't seem as paranoid as we (I) were? Maybe its just early. -off to study!
I wonder if UTSW is going to goof like they did last year. so what does last action really meanMadameLULU said:nope. nothing's p/f except preclinical electives (not to sure about clinical electives). Going to lab isn't mandatory though. I think it may be at other tx schools.
Yeah, I agree-- these guys are much more relaxed than we were last year, but just wait until Janurary rolls around. Everyone will be logging into the TMDSAS website trying to figure out what Last action meansI wonder if UTSW is going to goof like they did last year.
Anyways, I kinda "miss" some ppl on that thread...for the most part, they were bunch of cool guys!
?MadameLULU said:Yeah, I agree-- these guys are much more relaxed than we were last year, but just wait until Janurary rolls around. Everyone will be logging into the TMDSAS website trying to figure out what Last action meansI wonder if UTSW is going to goof like they did last year.
Anyways, I kinda "miss" some ppl on that thread...for the most part, they were bunch of cool guys!
NOooooooooooooOOODesiMcatAcer said:so what does last action really mean?
potato51 said:heh... now I'm curious. what "goof" did UTSW commit? 🙂
Must have been a nice little experience 🙂MadameLULU said:Well, there was this big sister/big brother and roommate finder website that accepted students could log onto before Feb 1. I think some of us found out the Thursday before the match. Apparently, the administration read SDN, found out about it, and cancelled our access to the site a day or two later.
DesiMcatAcer said:Must have been a nice little experience 🙂
potato51 said:heh... now I'm curious. what "goof" did UTSW commit? 🙂
Cram said:Now look what you started!![]()
![]()
![]()
Yeah that was great! Haha and no Lulu we don't have mandatory labs here either, do the other schools?Cram said:Now look what you started!![]()
![]()
![]()
JIGGLE IT said:Could you guys comment on the new bell curve that has been implemented. Also, what do you guys think of the new dean and his impact on the students.
jammin06 said:Does anyone have stats on acceptance rates for Out of state interviewees at UT-San Antonio? I just got an invitation in the mail and am wondering whether to take the interview. Can anyone comment on this?
How could they enroll >10%? I thought there was a state-legislated cap. Or is the cap new?potato51 said:UTSW accepted 70 out of 121 OOS (51%) and 33 enrolled (wow, that's a high % of OOS in a class of 213)
jammin06 said:Does anyone have stats on acceptance rates for Out of state interviewees at UT-San Antonio? I just got an invitation in the mail and am wondering whether to take the interview. Can anyone comment on this?
The 'Texas Interviews' thread compiled a brief list of pros and cons of each school:Siamese Dream said:I'm having trouble on wear to rank UTSA and UTH in respect to eachother. I was wondering if anyone could comment on some pros and cons of each? and some STEP 1 Scores would be nice to see as well
Thanks,
SD
Remind me this weekend and I'll answer your question. Most of us prolly aren't respondign b/c we have finals this week. Cool?Siamese Dream said:I'm having trouble on wear to rank UTSA and UTH in respect to eachother. I was wondering if anyone could comment on some pros and cons of each? and some STEP 1 Scores would be nice to see as well
Thanks,
SD
EvoDevo said:Remind me this weekend and I'll answer your question. Most of us prolly aren't respondign b/c we have finals this week. Cool?
You can send your interviewers and/or the admissions director thank you notes and try to find a bigwig there to suck up to. One of the people I work for is faculty there, and a coworker/fellow pre-med has been trying to summon the courage to approach him/her to put in a good word.bluelotus1214 said:I interviewed at UTH and I loved the place. I was wondering what I should do to somewhat ensure I end up matching there???
bobito said:Is anyone from UTMB around? I have some questions about that place...PBL ect.
EvoDevo said:Remind me this weekend and I'll answer your question. Most of us prolly aren't respondign b/c we have finals this week. Cool?
Beadle said:If any of you grew up in Texas, did you experience feelings similar to mine?
Also, I want to express my affection for Dallas (which I see as a positive thing) to UTSW, either in my application or in my interview, but I am afraid that I will come off as not expressing the proper interest in their institution. I LOVE the school itself, of course, but I just happen to love the environment equally if not more. How do you recommend I go about addressing this?
Thanks,
Ashley
Beadle said:for those of you who go to UTSW (or anyone else in TX could probably answer this).....
UTSW is my first choice, but mainly for it's location and not the typical reasons of status and whatnot. Basically, as cheesy as it sounds, my heart belongs in Dallas. I grew up here, all of my extended family lives here, I want to serve this community, and I want to raise a family here. I'm most content when I'm surrounded by my family, and I want nothing more than to move back here (I'm currently an undergrad at A&M) so that I can return to an environment that makes me deeply happy.
If any of you grew up in Texas, did you experience feelings similar to mine?
Also, I want to express my affection for Dallas (which I see as a positive thing) to UTSW, either in my application or in my interview, but I am afraid that I will come off as not expressing the proper interest in their institution. I LOVE the school itself, of course, but I just happen to love the environment equally if not more. How do you recommend I go about addressing this?
Thanks,
Ashley
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.