Ask a Texas Med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So many threads comparing TX med schools... thought I'd give this a resurrection if the med students are still willing to answer questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heh, I like this thread. I have a question on Baylor (for Ms. Lulu). I've been interviewed and accepted, and am now weighing against other schools (Emory and U of M, among others I'm still waiting to hear back from). I was wondering how your non-Texan classmates are enjoying Houston? I'm quite a Yankee and do worry a bit about the whole Texas thing. Also, where do students live? My student host lived nearby in Rice Village, but do other students live nearby the campus, or does everyone have to drive into work (and how is parking?). Any other thoughts would be appreicated.

Sure thing. Fire away, Gridley.

Hi EvoDevo... You're an MS2 now at UTHSCSA? I'm accepted there (OOS) and starting there next fall.

Just curious, do you know what the next kind of correspondence is I (and others who have been accepted) will probably get? And when? Like maybe a "Here's a checklist of stuff to make sure gets done before next fall" or something?

I guess there's no deposit due... which surprised me, and aside from sending back the acceptance of their offer (and signing up to take biochem this spring), it's all quiet on the western front. It kind of makes me nervous, lol... like maybe it's all just a dream. The other schools I got accepted at (one other in TX) have sent emails and other correspondence... most want deposits, etc., so my paranoid self sometimes wonders if I really made it in or something. Ok, I know I made it in, but still wondering what's next.

I'm actually heading down there to SA in a few weeks to start looking at areas to live, maybe get a house, etc. with my wife. I was considering just dropping in to wherever the admissions office may be to double check that they show all the courses I have and the one I'm still lacking, as per TMDSAS, etc. (and probably ask the same question I'm asking you now). Would that be a little too pushy, do you think?

Thanks.

Who you callin' gridley? :smuggrin:

You guys are on blocks right? Does a San Antonio peep want to give me a quick run-down on the curriculum or maybe a link?

Yeah, that too... good question, particularly maybe what to expect for the first few months, curriculum-wise, would be helpful.

Can you hook me up with an MS1? Also what's the 411 on the soccer league
Define "hook up." But generally speaking, sure thing. Drop me a PM.

As for the soccer league? It's a brutal bloodbath.....or so I hear. :thumbup:

Hi EvoDevo... You're an MS2 now at UTHSCSA? I'm accepted there (OOS) and starting there next fall.
Yes, and congrats! :thumbup:

Just curious, do you know what the next kind of correspondence is I (and others who have been accepted) will probably get? And when? Like maybe a "Here's a checklist of stuff to make sure gets done before next fall" or something?
Well, things have changed a bit from the old days, in that some of you have already been granted acceptances and such. With that in mind, I'd venture to guess that the next bit of correspondence will have something to do with the list of shots that you need before starting, the requirement to have health insurance, and so on. But that probably won't come along until....March or April. So go ahead and relax until then.

I guess there's no deposit due... which surprised me, and aside from sending back the acceptance of their offer (and signing up to take biochem this spring), it's all quiet on the western front. It kind of makes me nervous, lol... like maybe it's all just a dream. The other schools I got accepted at (one other in TX) have sent emails and other correspondence... most want deposits, etc., so my paranoid self sometimes wonders if I really made it in or something. Ok, I know I made it in, but still wondering what's next.
Nope. No deposit. Don't worry, things were quiet for us too. Unless it changes radically, that's the way that they do things here. And honestly, it's all going to come so fast in orientation that you're better off this way.

I'm actually heading down there to SA in a few weeks to start looking at areas to live, maybe get a house, etc. with my wife. I was considering just dropping in to wherever the admissions office may be to double check that they show all the courses I have and the one I'm still lacking, as per TMDSAS, etc. (and probably ask the same question I'm asking you now). Would that be a little too pushy, do you think?

Thanks.
Nope. Once you've accepted the offer of admission then it's "Welcome to the Family." :) It's always a great idea to be somewhat proactive with checking with the various offices, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanatos and OddNath:

Don't kill me for this question, I'm just excited... I interviewed at UT Houston 9/29, and haven't heard a thing. What are my chances like, or is there no telling at this point?

They interview until mid-Feb, so it's not too late yet. If you're really interested in Baylor, I suggest you send a letter of interest to the dean of admissions :luck: :luck:

Would this be Dr. Lloyd Michael?

Members don't see this ad :)
Define "hook up." But generally speaking, sure thing. Drop me a PM.

As for the soccer league? It's a brutal bloodbath.....or so I hear. :thumbup:

lol. hook up in an entirely non-loviee doviee way :) The MS1's are using new books and just curious to get their feedback. e.g. physiology shifted to costanzo which I think is awesome. Also what's up with the weekly quizzes. Also part of the quiz is a groupie thing? (and again I meant that in an entirely non sexual way)

lol. hook up in an entirely non-loviee doviee way :) The MS1's are using new books and just curious to get their feedback. e.g. physiology shifted to costanzo which I think is awesome. Also what's up with the weekly quizzes. Also part of the quiz is a groupie thing? (and again I meant that in an entirely non sexual way)
Sure...send me a PM and I'll set it up.

I've heard this a lot, but what are "great numbers" for a UT student who is willing to sell a kidney to attend either BCM or UTSW?

Also, what is there to do in Austin if you dont have a car and dont go a drinkin on 6th st. This is my 3rd year and I'm kinda bored. I guess the presence of cute asian chicks all over campus makes up for it.:p

thanks in advance guys.

I've looked at the MS1 curriculum website, but it's hard to gauge what an average week is like due to all the optional electives that are thrown in and what not.

How often does anatomy lab meet? If it's only 2-3 days/wk, does that mean we have some free afternoon time on certain days? I'm just trying to get a feel for it so I can begin to figure out how to study when there aren't enough hours in the day:)

Also, what's the status on MP3/video recording of lectures? I've heard there's been progressive changes over the past few years, so what should I expect?

Last thing....are the current MS1s taking the "new" biochemistry (revised from the crappy one used in years past). If so, how is it working out?

Thanks so much:)

I've looked at the MS1 curriculum website, but it's hard to gauge what an average week is like due to all the optional electives that are thrown in and what not.

How often does anatomy lab meet? If it's only 2-3 days/wk, does that mean we have some free afternoon time on certain days? I'm just trying to get a feel for it so I can begin to figure out how to study when there aren't enough hours in the day:)

Also, what's the status on MP3/video recording of lectures? I've heard there's been progressive changes over the past few years, so what should I expect?

Last thing....are the current MS1s taking the "new" biochemistry (revised from the crappy one used in years past). If so, how is it working out?

I don't know the answer to all of this, but I just interviewed at UTSW and they gave us this website which is supposed to be a mirror of the student's main website, just without all the pdf files and such http://medschool.swmed.edu/

Also, at the interview they also said 1st year is still just mp3 recordings, but my friend there said it was fine to be just mp3 because it goes straight through the syllabus info, and that 2nd year did video.

I hope that helps a little bit.

Gosh this waiting is hard! Darn you SW for getting my hopes up!

1) Anatomy lab meets three days a week (MWF). TTh afternoons are pretty light. Sometimes we have ethics small groups or a history clinic either T or Th.

2) Currently, MS1 classes are recorded with the mp3s posted online same day. MS2 classes are videotaped, I believe.

3) I really liked the new biochem course and thought it was well-excuted. They've overhauled it to get rid of a lot of minute details and made it more clinically relevant (one sect. is on the biochem of cancer, etc.). Obviously, I have no experience with the previous course, so I can't really compare, but :thumbup: from me.

Thinking about UTSA, wanted to ask about any downsides y'all might know about?

Already heard a lot of good things but want to get a feel for the cons before making the final decision.

Thanks!

Will coming from Texas A&M - Corpus Christi hurt me during admissions compared to other people who went to the huge main campuses? Assuming I have a 3.8+ GPA and a 30+ MCAT plus the host of other stuff. In fact, will my school limit me from attending top ranked medical schools? (just curious)

Will coming from Texas A&M - Corpus Christi hurt me during admissions compared to other people who went to the huge main campuses? Assuming I have a 3.8+ GPA and a 30+ MCAT plus the host of other stuff. In fact, will my school limit me from attending top ranked medical schools? (just curious)

I think with a solid MCAT you should be totally fine. :)

Thanatos and OddNath:

Don't kill me for this question, I'm just excited... I interviewed at UT Houston 9/29, and haven't heard a thing. What are my chances like, or is there no telling at this point?

I know this is a really old question, but if you're still wondering: If you haven't heard by this point, you may or may not be on the waitlist. You have to call UTH to find out.

I know this has been answered 5 thousand (ish) times but please bear with me haha
How hot is it in Texas? Overbearing?
I just worked 8 hours outside in the heat and i didn't die... (in northeast texas within a couple hours of dallas)... given it's not the heat of the summer yet

really it's not that bad with the air conditioning... and i can only see it being a problem if you are concerned about your hair... (since of course the reason it feels hot is because of the humidity... which might cause problems for some people who are endeared to their follicles :rolleyes:)

I was just hoping to get some insights from some San Antonio and A&M students. I really loved both these schools and could use any thoughts you might have into the positives and negatives of your respected institutions.