Ask an Army Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you already in the army did any of you not do OBC till after graduation? Did you work during that 2 month limbo after graduation and before OBC? When did you get your license?

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you already in the army did any of you not do OBC till after graduation? Did you work during that 2 month limbo after graduation and before OBC? When did you get your license?

Licenses depend on the state you apply to. Some states are much slower than others. I know several friends who took boards in April/May, and didn't get licenses untill the end of summer. You can't apply for a license until you have both boards and a degree - so even if you take boards earlier, you are still requesting a license at the same time the rest of the graduating seniors in the country are. Because of that you are not going to have a license before OBC so you will do non-dentistry stuff until then (vacations/flipping burgers/etc...) The military does not pay you until you come on active duty, so if you do OBC after school you will begin to get paid in July. If you have done OBC before graduation you can come in whenever you want - immediately, or take a month or two off.

HawksthDoc - Thanks for the information! I am currently contemplating the 3-Year HPSP. I see that you are almost finished with active duty and that you are heading to an endo non-military residency. Are you concerned with being called back from IRR while you are back in school - and if you are called back into service, how will the civilian residency program respond? Will they let you return to the program after you return??

Members don't see this ad :)
Licenses depend on the state you apply to. Some states are much slower than others. I know several friends who took boards in April/May, and didn't get licenses untill the end of summer. You can't apply for a license until you have both boards and a degree - so even if you take boards earlier, you are still requesting a license at the same time the rest of the graduating seniors in the country are. Because of that you are not going to have a license before OBC so you will do non-dentistry stuff until then (vacations/flipping burgers/etc...) The military does not pay you until you come on active duty, so if you do OBC after school you will begin to get paid in July. If you have done OBC before graduation you can come in whenever you want - immediately, or take a month or two off.

If you do OBC before school, do you get your orders and report date information prior to graduation? Krmower, you said you can come in whenever we want - does that mean there's no set time/date when we have to report to duty? oh fyi, you can take the western regional boards if you area senior student in the last semester.

HawksthDoc - Thanks for the information! I am currently contemplating the 3-Year HPSP. I see that you are almost finished with active duty and that you are heading to an endo non-military residency. Are you concerned with being called back from IRR while you are back in school - and if you are called back into service, how will the civilian residency program respond? Will they let you return to the program after you return??

I'm planning on joining the Guard after I get off active duty. The Guard in most states has a no-deploy policy for 2 years for soldiers coming off active duty. So I will be covered as far as deployments while I am in residency. After I get out of the Guard I am not worried about being called off the IRR, as from what I have heard the Army has never pulled a dentist from the IRR.

HawksthDoc and I have never heard of any dentist being called out of the IRR. We still have plenty of dentists to go around. My joke is move 3 times and don't update your address and "They will never find you". Hopefully the majority of the Army will be out of Iraq by the end of 2010. By the time you get done with dental school the war should be over. At least not to the full scale it is now. Means...we will need a lot less dentists over there.

Hawk are you getting any bonus from the Guard? Are they helping to fund your residency?

I would take those 2 months and enjoy the freedom from school and from the Army (haha)

I got my license in August or September. I took WREB in May, results in June or July. So working during OBC may not work out. I would be surprised if someone would hire you in San Antonio right out of dental school. Plus you would have to get Malpractice insurance ($1000 per year), DEA license ($500 for 3 years) just to work part-time. Mostly on Saturdays. You would also have to get the OBC commander's approval to work off post. Not sure they would grant it either. Make sure you ask them before you start down that road to prevent problems when you arrive to OBC.

Hello! I had a question. I am going to be going for a physical for entry into the HPSP program on April 22nd. I was wondering exactly what was going to be required and if there are standards that I need to pass or what? I am honestly not the most fit person in the world, but I have been working over the past week on getting a little more fit.

Thanks in advance!

Hello! I had a question. I am going to be going for a physical for entry into the HPSP program on April 22nd. I was wondering exactly what was going to be required and if there are standards that I need to pass or what? I am honestly not the most fit person in the world, but I have been working over the past week on getting a little more fit.

Thanks in advance!

I got the physical a few months back. There were a lot of people who were overweight and possibly some that might have been under (women). The night before, you have to fast so that your blood glucose levels and other readings are in the "normal" range. You will either get a Physician or a PA to check up on your vitals/physicals like bone joints etc. It's REALLY fast/easy and most people should get through this with ease. The following day,you get your blood results back and those that had elevated and depressed levels of whatever have to retake the test. If you have had any surgeries, like LASIK for example, you need a waiver from your doctor etc. or else you will not pass your physical on that day. You always can send it in and get it fixed later but that's just heads up. There were some really upset people that didn't pass but I'm sure everything turned out well in the end. The army needs and wants you...haha :rolleyes:

HawksthDoc and I have never heard of any dentist being called out of the IRR. We still have plenty of dentists to go around. My joke is move 3 times and don't update your address and "They will never find you". Hopefully the majority of the Army will be out of Iraq by the end of 2010. By the time you get done with dental school the war should be over. At least not to the full scale it is now. Means...we will need a lot less dentists over there.

Hawk are you getting any bonus from the Guard? Are they helping to fund your residency?

The Guard bonus is $25k right now for up to 3 years. I hope to get tuition assistance through the Guard ($4500) but I am not sure that I will be able to. The drill weekends should pay me $555 per month. Plus I will get GI Bill of around $1400 per month. Not bad for working one weekend a month :)

Hawks2thDoc and combatdentist - Once again thanks for the info. I know I want to specialize - I am leaning towards ortho right now - but I will have to see though :). I just wanted to make sure that if I decide not to stay in the army that I can do a civilian residency after I have finished with active duty without waiting for my IRR to be done.

Hordel - I am also doing my physical at the same time. Are you going to Seattle?

I got the physical a few months back. There were a lot of people who were overweight and possibly some that might have been under (women). The night before, you have to fast so that your blood glucose levels and other readings are in the "normal" range. You will either get a Physician or a PA to check up on your vitals/physicals like bone joints etc. It's REALLY fast/easy and most people should get through this with ease. The following day,you get your blood results back and those that had elevated and depressed levels of whatever have to retake the test. If you have had any surgeries, like LASIK for example, you need a waiver from your doctor etc. or else you will not pass your physical on that day. You always can send it in and get it fixed later but that's just heads up. There were some really upset people that didn't pass but I'm sure everything turned out well in the end. The army needs and wants you...haha :rolleyes:

So for enterence I don't have to do a physical test (push ups, sit ups, and running)? Or do I? (sorry to labor the point) I am just interested because I currently am a little over on the run time that I see is standard and a little under on the push up limit. I saw that you need a score of 50 in each catagory to pass and I am a little off from this. I have been training everyday to try and up my numbers and I will still keep training no matter what, but if I don't have to take this test when I go then that relieves a little apprehension that I have about the process.

Thanks again, Andy

So for enterence I don't have to do a physical test (push ups, sit ups, and running)? Or do I? (sorry to labor the point) I am just interested because I currently am a little over on the run time that I see is standard and a little under on the push up limit. I saw that you need a score of 50 in each catagory to pass and I am a little off from this. I have been training everyday to try and up my numbers and I will still keep training no matter what, but if I don't have to take this test when I go then that relieves a little apprehension that I have about the process.

Thanks again, Andy

lol no more Andy. The physical is basically a routine check up on weight, blood pressure, etc. You do the exercises you wrote about at OBLC which you can do in June if you decide to go before dental school starts. This is after you get ur HPSP scholarship

Members don't see this ad :)
lol no more Andy. The physical is basically a routine check up on weight, blood pressure, etc. You do the exercises you wrote about at OBLC which you can do in June if you decide to go before dental school starts. This is after you get ur HPSP scholarship

Okay, that makes a difference. I guess I don't have to worry about that as much then. This is good to know because I have been pushing myself like mad over the last couple of days. I will keep up on the training, because I HAVE to lose some pounds, but atleast I don't have to pass that test in four weeks. Thank you for everything!

Thanks again, Andy
FYI - when you do have to pass the APFT (fitness test), minimum passing is 60 in each event. If you score anything less than 60 in any one event you automatically fail - regardless of how high you may score in other events.

Should I choose an army installation that has residencies and is closer to my girlfriend or a small installation with no residencies one hour further away?

Should I choose an army installation that has residencies and is closer to my girlfriend or a small installation with no residencies one hour further away?

Depends on what your goals are. If you go someplace with a residency and you don't plan on doing that type of residency - many cases will get pulled from the clinic to support those residents. Small places are frequently difficult to get into because they have limited spots. If any of those bases are training locations for privates - depending on the clinic you are assigned to you may be doing more extractions, fillins, root canals. You can deploy from any base - so size does not matter. A lot of unknowns that you are not going to be able to have full control over. I'd go for the one closer my GF.

The true test of your girl friend is pick where you want to go and see if she will come to you! :love:

Hello, does anyone know what will happen if I miss the June 14th start date for OBLC due to graduation from dental school being delayed from unfinished requirements? Also, how will this delay effect AEGD-1 year, if I have been already been accepted to Ft. Lewis? Thank you.

Hello, does anyone know what will happen if I miss the June 14th start date for OBLC due to graduation from dental school being delayed from unfinished requirements? Also, how will this delay effect AEGD-1 year, if I have been already been accepted to Ft. Lewis? Thank you.

you will not be able to attend the AEGD, unless you finish with dental school and OBLC and can arrive at ft lewis prior to aug 1.

dental students access onto active duty late (due to not finishing graduation requirements) all the time. they just don't do AEGD's.

Thank you for your answer umkcdds...so does that mean I will start active duty regardless of completeing OBLC immediately after graduation? Is it possible to request a delay to start active duty? I'm planning on getting married after I graduate and I'm just trying to figure out what the best time will be....appreciate the help.

Thank you for your answer umkcdds...so does that mean I will start active duty regardless of completeing OBLC immediately after graduation? Is it possible to request a delay to start active duty? I'm planning on getting married after I graduate and I'm just trying to figure out what the best time will be....appreciate the help.

If you haven't done OBLC you will have from the time you graduate until OBLC starts (1st part of July) - no delays unless you haven't graduated.

If you have done OBLC you could report as late as August (or as early as when you graduate).

you will not be able to attend the AEGD, unless you finish with dental school and OBLC and can arrive at ft lewis prior to aug 1.

dental students access onto active duty late (due to not finishing graduation requirements) all the time. they just don't do AEGD's.
If I had to do OBLC after graduation (and graduated on time, etc) would I still be able to get into an AEGD that I applied for in the fall? I was told by Ms Roxanne Flores that I would be able to complete the 6 week HPSP OBLC (mid June to end July). That would let me slot right in to the AEGD starting 1 Aug.

Can I apply for the AEGDs if I havent yet completed OBLC (obviously I'd be doing that at the first available opportunity after graduating)?

If I had to do OBLC after graduation (and graduated on time, etc) would I still be able to get into an AEGD that I applied for in the fall? I was told by Ms Roxanne Flores that I would be able to complete the 6 week HPSP OBLC (mid June to end July). That would let me slot right in to the AEGD starting 1 Aug.

Can I apply for the AEGDs if I havent yet completed OBLC (obviously I'd be doing that at the first available opportunity after graduating)?

The AEGD 1 year programs do not begin until after the summer OBLC/OBC are done - it's designed that way. There is only 1 OBC in the summer. If you are not done with school by then you wait until the next one starts up in the fall.

If you want to do the 1 year AEGD you should apply for it in the fall of your senior year. If you don't graduate in time you just get bumped and an alternate is given a chance.

The AEGD 1 year programs do not begin until after the summer OBLC/OBC are done - it's designed that way. There is only 1 OBC in the summer. If you are not done with school by then you wait until the next one starts up in the fall.

If you want to do the 1 year AEGD you should apply for it in the fall of your senior year. If you don't graduate in time you just get bumped and an alternate is given a chance.

Does the 2 year AEGD start Aug 1st as well?
If I'm doing OBC after graduation there is no chance I can start the 2 year AEGD until the following August?

Does the 2 year AEGD start Aug 1st as well?
If I'm doing OBC after graduation there is no chance I can start the 2 year AEGD until the following August?

All specialty programs (including the 2 year AEGD) begin on/around Jul 1. The 12 month AEGD is not specialty, and is designed specifically for new dental grads, therefore it begins later.

All specialty programs (including the 2 year AEGD) begin on/around Jul 1. The 12 month AEGD is not specialty, and is designed specifically for new dental grads, therefore it begins later.

How do you sign up for OBC by the way? Through mods or ako?

Do you know when the next OBLC in the fall is? around what date and how long? I was told it would be longer than 6 weeks.

I'm starting the AEGD 2yr on 1 JUL. That being said, they want you on site well before to get situated. They don't want you looking for housing, in processing with medical, dental ect. The program starts JUL 1 and you hit the ground running. So to answer your question if you can attend OBC and start the program.... It's not going to happen. They usually accept you into the program for the following year and pre-station you at the training location. They usually have openings starting for the immediate summer and you can volunteer to start right away.

I'm starting the AEGD 2yr on 1 JUL. That being said, they want you on site well before to get situated. They don't want you looking for housing, in processing with medical, dental ect. The program starts JUL 1 and you hit the ground running. So to answer your question if you can attend OBC and start the program.... It's not going to happen. They usually accept you into the program for the following year and pre-station you at the training location. They usually have openings starting for the immediate summer and you can volunteer to start right away.

the 1-yr AGD starts Aug 1, immediately after graduation. for the other residencies you (usually) start the NEXT year after getting accepted. the 1-yr AGD starts Aug 1 (instead of July 1) so that new grads have plenty of time to inprocess, find housing (and attend OBLC if needed) before the start date.

just wanted to reiterate that, since you mentioned it. not sure that is clear to everyone.

the 1-yr AGD starts Aug 1, immediately after graduation. for the other residencies you (usually) start the NEXT year after getting accepted. the 1-yr AGD starts Aug 1 (instead of July 1) so that new grads have plenty of time to inprocess, find housing (and attend OBLC if needed) before the start date.

just wanted to reiterate that, since you mentioned it. not sure that is clear to everyone.

Your HPSP handbook has all the information.

Where are you doing your 2 yr AEGD? How long ago did you graduate if you don't mind sharing?

Would any Army dentists advise buying a house in their duty station location or is it too unpredictable that you will be more transferred to another base after a year or 2?

Would any Army dentists advise buying a house in their duty station location or is it too unpredictable that you will be more transferred to another base after a year or 2?

The only time you would move in less than 3 years is if you were doing some kind of post-grad training or special job/assignment (which are few). Otherwise you will be at a location at a minimum of 3-4 years.

I have bought at every location, and it has worked for me. If you can be flexible and rent the house after you live in it - it may be worth it if real estate rises. Typically real estate professionals say you have to own a house for at least 3-5 years to pull any type of profit out.

I don't think there is a blanket statement that would work for all locations. Look carefully at the real estate market in an area before you decide to buy. Don't buy something that is going to go beyond your BAH for the area. Make sure the location you buy in has resale potential. Otherwise you may not get anyone that will want to buy/rent the place from you. YMMV.

The only time you would move in less than 3 years is if you were doing some kind of post-grad training or special job/assignment (which are few). Otherwise you will be at a location at a minimum of 3-4 years.

I have bought at every location, and it has worked for me. If you can be flexible and rent the house after you live in it - it may be worth it if real estate rises. Typically real estate professionals say you have to own a house for at least 3-5 years to pull any type of profit out.

I don't think there is a blanket statement that would work for all locations. Look carefully at the real estate market in an area before you decide to buy. Don't buy something that is going to go beyond your BAH for the area. Make sure the location you buy in has resale potential. Otherwise you may not get anyone that will want to buy/rent the place from you. YMMV.

Typically, then, how long can an army dental officer stay in a single location, unless deployed?

If you are in a one or two year AEGD chances are you'll be transferred to another duty station. If not, chances are you'll be staying there for your payback years (3-4 years)... Fort Hood was my one and only duty station for my three active duty years. IMO, it is a big risk to purchase a house in this economic environment. As far as I know, the Fort Hood/Killeen area is one of the few areas that didn't have a huge gain or depreciating period during the housing boom.

Yes, you could rent it out when you leave/separate/PCS, but make sure you find a good property manager. I had a friend buy in the Fort Hood area, and when he separated, he rented it out. Unfortunately, his property manager wasn't the greatest. The property condition slid, and the manager didn't do a good job of renting it out.

I have read up to page 9 of this discussion, so please forgive me if this question was already answered.

In creating a dream list can I go as specific as what base overseas rather than just asserting a country?

For instance, I think that my top three would be:

1. Hawaii
2. Korea
3. Japan

But I would only like to go to Korea if it is the Yongsan base in Seoul. In this case, could I list #2 on the dream list as "Yongsan" base? Is Yongsan a DENTAC or field unit?

Any comments on experiences with Hawaii and Japan?

After reading all this talk about pros/cons of AEGD, I am confused. If I don't get a chance to specialize right after dental school, then I am thinking about either skipping 1 yr AEGD or going for one yr AEGD and respectively applying to specialty programs in subsequent years. What is the consequence of selecting one route versus the other?
Thanks!

Last edited:
In creating a dream list can I go as specific as what base overseas rather than just asserting a country?

After reading all this talk about pros/cons of AEGD, I am confused. If I don't get a chance to specialize right after dental school, then I am thinking about either skipping 1 yr AEGD or going for one yr AEGD and respectively applying to specialty programs in subsequent years. What is the consequence of selecting one route versus the other?
Thanks!

Don't hang your hopes up on the assignments request. As a young captain right out of school, you'll be placed where ever the army needs you.

Prior to graduation I was told Camp Zama (Japan), then somewhere in Korea, and finally Fort Hood, none of which were my top three.

Regarding assignment, I recommend you contact the assignment officer. I'm not sure who it is now, the major I knew is no longer in that position I think. That way you can get your foot in the door and maybe influence your placement.

Believe me when I say half of your peers have Hawaii in the top three.

If you really want to specialize, do the 1 year AEGD, it will pad your resume.

I have read up to page 9 of this discussion, so please forgive me if this question was already answered.

1. Hawaii
2. Korea
3. Japan
Thanks!

I've always heard to list your top 2 choices that you really want to go to and then list 1 that isn't that popular where you wouldn't mind. Then hope for the best.

you could call HRC and ask for them to tell you what they project to be available for assignments. then give them your top three choices from what is available. that way you aren't giving them three choices that you have no chance of getting - meaning that they just put you where they want.

1. Hawaii
2. Korea
3. Japan

But I would only like to go to Korea if it is the Yongsan base in Seoul. In this case, could I list #2 on the dream list as "Yongsan" base? Is Yongsan a DENTAC or field unit?

Any comments on experiences with Hawaii and Japan?

Thanks!

Your chance of getting Hawaii is next to none. I was stationed there for 2 years. Hawaii is typically reserved for general dentists who have been deployed, done a hardship tour (1 yr away from family - Korea, Sinai, Kuwait), or worked out some kind of a deal. It is a "reward" assignment. If you do the 2 yr program and you get selected for Hawaii - you will only be there for 2 years and then move.

Japan is also very difficult to get (not many spots for general dentists). If you were only to put down Hawaii, Japan, and Yong-san you will be very dissapointed. If you are open to anywhere in Korea - you have a fairly good chance of getting that.

Don't hang your hopes up on the assignments request. As a young captain right out of school, you'll be placed where ever the army needs you.

Prior to graduation I was told Camp Zama (Japan), then somewhere in Korea, and finally Fort Hood, none of which were my top three.

Regarding assignment, I recommend you contact the assignment officer. I'm not sure who it is now, the major I knew is no longer in that position I think. That way you can get your foot in the door and maybe influence your placement.

Believe me when I say half of your peers have Hawaii in the top three.

If you really want to specialize, do the 1 year AEGD, it will pad your resume.

I have been in 7 years and the wish list has not worked out very well for me. I have enjoyed all the places I have gone to - just not what I would have initially picked. "Bloom where you are planted".

My biggest recommendation is to work in general terms. Give them an area/region you would like to be in. This will allow them more flexibility. For example - Europe would be easier to work with and try to get you then Italy. West Coast may be easier to try to accomodate then Presidio Monteray (not going to get it - don't even try). Georgia would be easier than Ft. Gordon. If you are dead set on 1 or 2 bases - ones that you think are going to be nice/cushy - you are going to be severly dissapointed. Be open-minded and enjoy your time in as a new experience/adventure. After that if you want to get out and go back to wherever home is - then you can.

BTW the new general dentist manager is CPT Junio.

you could call HRC and ask for them to tell you what they project to be available for assignments. then give them your top three choices from what is available. that way you aren't giving them three choices that you have no chance of getting - meaning that they just put you where they want.

Great recommendation

About how far out from going on Active Duty would you recommend the feeling out process for your next assignment?
I distinctly remember being in contact with the manager/assignment officer by phone at least 2-3 months before graduation.

If I were doing it over again, I'd probably at least call to touch bases in Jan. of my graduating year. Of course everyone at HRC is busy, so sending an email would probably be better.

About how far out from going on Active Duty would you recommend the feeling out process for your next assignment?

honestly, if i were you, i would call once a month in Nov, Dec, and at least twice per month until they tell you where you are going to be placed. even then, things can change. this last year, i had my assignment changed three weeks before i was going to PCS (after i already had orders for two months).

they may tell you one set of locations is available when you call in Dec, but it could change a month later.

the "projected" availabilities are dynamic. things will happen constantly - someone not graduating on time, an active duty dentist may decide to ETS, or decide not to ETS. someone can get sick or hurt and assignments will change......

They don't even start to finalize how many spots will be available until late Nov.

If you are going to do any type of post grad training I believe you can list your preference on your application, but it is the program directors for the different locations that make the final call - they want to make sure to have diversity in each program (based on GPA, sex, ethnicity, etc...) So all the locations have a good cross-section. You will find out in January your location if you are doing training.

If you are not, then Jan/Feb is a good time to contact.