Ask an Army Dentist

Started by BQuad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it too late for me to apply for the scholarship? I'm starting my first year of dental school this Fall. What are my options?


It's never too late. Even if you are very competitive you may not be offered a four year scholarship, but you may be put on the list for a three year scholarship starting next year. You can call 1-800-872-2769 to find the Healthcare Recruiter closest to your area.
 
With ortho it may not be a matter of no one getting accepted out of school, but that it is not open to graduating seniors. Your best bet would be to contact Army Graduate Dental Education and find out whether or not it is even a possibility. If it is not, then my recommendation would be to apply for the 1 yr AEGD since that will be a great step in differentiating yourself from others. Your only option may be to apply during your first year of service. Application times for all the postgraduate training is November. Work with the recruiter at your school or contact Ms. Flores if you have any difficulties.

Krmower,
I just received an email from COL Manga describing the specialty application process. Looks like they are accepting applications for ortho from 4th yr dental students. The deadline is Nov 11th for all specialties. I am going to give it a shot and apply for both the AEGD and ortho. Thanks for your help!
 
I'm considering the Army and Navy HPSP scholarships but I have flat feet. I do have prescription orthotic inserts for my shoes. Even so, my feet tend to hurt on hikes. I've heard that these symptoms will disqualify you at MEPS so I don't want to start this entire process only to find out I'm not allowed. I also want to know if this problem will make me completely miserable at OBLC. If anyone has knowledge about this, please enlighten me!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm considering the Army and Navy HPSP scholarships but I have flat feet. I do have prescription orthotic inserts for my shoes. Even so, my feet tend to hurt on hikes. I've heard that these symptoms will disqualify you at MEPS so I don't want to start this entire process only to find out I'm not allowed. I also want to know if this problem will make me completely miserable at OBLC. If anyone has knowledge about this, please enlighten me!

I would talk to the recruiter since they will have had the most experience with those things. Usually anything you are disqualified for will simply need a waiver to get you in. I don't know this, but my guess is that flat feet would be a pretty easy one to get a waiver for if needed.

In OBLC you don't do a lot of hiking, in fact most of your career you will do very little unless you try to do some of the other more Army extra curricular activities. I wouldn't sweat it too much.
 
I'm considering the Army and Navy HPSP scholarships but I have flat feet. I do have prescription orthotic inserts for my shoes. Even so, my feet tend to hurt on hikes. I've heard that these symptoms will disqualify you at MEPS so I don't want to start this entire process only to find out I'm not allowed. I also want to know if this problem will make me completely miserable at OBLC. If anyone has knowledge about this, please enlighten me!

I'm in the class of 2014 and applied for a 4 year HPSP last year. Since my application was late, I was awarded a 3.5 year scholarship and was able to go through the process of obtaining a medical waiver. I have an autoimmune disease (graves) which created secondary hypertension. It was quite a process to get the waiver, but my recruiter correctly told me that thyroid issues, especially hyperthyroid, are easy to get waived. If you have the time and motivation, it cannot hurt to find out. CAUTION: make sure you apply for the waiver before filling out the application (because it takes lots of time and the application may end up being a waste if you cannot get a waiver).
 
3 questions...
1. The recruiter hasn't said anything about a specific waiver form for the flat feet. I just had my podiatrist write a letter saying everything was fine. Is that good enough?
2. Is it possible to do OBC the summer before dental school begins? It would definitely be the most convenient time for me.
3. After your 4 year AD commitment, there is also an additional 4 year reserve commitment correct? What are you obligated to do during that time and is there anyone that is actually required to return to AD during those 4 years?
 
3 questions...
1. The recruiter hasn't said anything about a specific waiver form for the flat feet. I just had my podiatrist write a letter saying everything was fine. Is that good enough?
2. Is it possible to do OBC the summer before dental school begins? It would definitely be the most convenient time for me.
3. After your 4 year AD commitment, there is also an additional 4 year reserve commitment correct? What are you obligated to do during that time and is there anyone that is actually required to return to AD during those 4 years?

1) Won't know till you get to the physical part and see what they say.
2) Yes it is. Whether or not you can do it will depend on when you are accepted for the scholarship, and whether your recruiter can help get your request in before all the slots are gone...early bird gets the worm.
3) Nothing and nobody.
 
3 questions...
1. The recruiter hasn't said anything about a specific waiver form for the flat feet. I just had my podiatrist write a letter saying everything was fine. Is that good enough?
2. Is it possible to do OBC the summer before dental school begins? It would definitely be the most convenient time for me.
3. After your 4 year AD commitment, there is also an additional 4 year reserve commitment correct? What are you obligated to do during that time and is there anyone that is actually required to return to AD during those 4 years?

To add to my esteemed colleague krmower:
1) What your civilian dentist and physician say can be easily overridden by the military dentist and physician at MEPS. Yo'd need to wait and see what they say.

3) The only time you'll be called on is to do "muster duty" where you'll report to a nearby army post, and for half a day listen to a pitch on how you can get back into the army or reserves. They do this to update your info and to make sure you're still fit. The last one I did was in 2008, before I joined the Guard. Dunno if this is still done. Will try to get more info.
 
Hi I'm in the late stages of applying for the 3yr army HPSP. And from what I understand, if I apply for a specialty and get accepted right out of DS, then my specialty time is neutral and after specializing I only owe the 3yrs. BUT, if I don't get accepted, but apply later and get accepted sometime during paying back my 3yrs of HPSP, that I will specialize, and after specializing I will owe the remainder of the 3yr HPSP AND owe extra time for specializing. Is that correct?

Also, I had an army OMS tell me that he was "about midway" as far as class rank and did "decent" on the boards and still got accepted. Is this an exception? Or is it really possible to specialize with a mid class rank. I'm trying to gage what I should shoot for, so far I think I'm about top 30%, but we've only had a few tests, so I think there's still plenty of time to work harder if I need to.
 
Hi I'm in the late stages of applying for the 3yr army HPSP. And from what I understand, if I apply for a specialty and get accepted right out of DS, then my specialty time is neutral and after specializing I only owe the 3yrs. BUT, if I don't get accepted, but apply later and get accepted sometime during paying back my 3yrs of HPSP, that I will specialize, and after specializing I will owe the remainder of the 3yr HPSP AND owe extra time for specializing. Is that correct?

Also, I had an army OMS tell me that he was "about midway" as far as class rank and did "decent" on the boards and still got accepted. Is this an exception? Or is it really possible to specialize with a mid class rank. I'm trying to gage what I should shoot for, so far I think I'm about top 30%, but we've only had a few tests, so I think there's still plenty of time to work harder if I need to.

1) You will have an obligation for HPSP and an obligation for specialty training. If you are lucky you get picked up right out of school and following your neutral specialty training you pay them both off simultaneously. If you don't get picked up right away you immediately begin paying off your HPSP obligation, and when you do specialize and complete the training you will then begin to payback that obligation.

2) Specialty statistics (class rank, GPA, board scores, etc...) can vary by year. Those numbers aren't released - so no one sees what they were like for those that were accepted. It is very likely that the OMFS you spoke to was correct. However, there is no guarantee it will be like that in a different year - especially with the high number of applicants that have been coming in each year.
 
How does retirement work if you are in Active Duty for a certain number of years, and then switch to the reserves? For example, if I am an Active Duty dentist for 10 years, and then decide to join the reserves, am I eligible for retirement benefits after 10 years in the Reserves, or longer?

Thanks!
 
I'm a civilian dentist who graduated in '06. I'm in the middle of applying to get into the navy. I liked the locations better along with the idea of being deployed on a ship instead of in the desert. I've already completed the long applications and have a physical scheduled.

Today I was told by an army recruiter that they WILL repay my student loans and write that into my contract vs. Navy who makes you apply and compete for that benefit. Apparently it's pretty competitive too. It's a huge amount of money to ignore. So now we're torn. I have a family of 6 and worry about location and deployment. Does the army typically give longer deployments? I heard they're hurting for dentists right now so some specialists are sent to Afganistan to serve as a general dentists. I also plan to specialize as a comprehensive dentist and worry about the army sending me to very remote places that aren't so great for a family?

So, again my question is...does army deploy dentists for longer periods and are the locations for a comprehensive dentist going to be more remote? Not sure what to do.
 
So, again my question is...does army deploy dentists for longer periods and are the locations for a comprehensive dentist going to be more remote? Not sure what to do.

It’s possible to be deployed up to 12 months at the current time. If you are a comprehensive dentist I think this will minimize your chances of doing a 12 month deployment. Most of us that complete year long deployments are 63A’s (General Dentist) who are serving as brigade dentists. On the other hand, I’m quite sure there are Comprehensive Dentist that complete year long deployments. If deploying is a great concern for you, the military might not be the place to get your student loans paid off. It is a good possibility that you will deploy.

Although it sounds nice on paper, comprehensive dentist are not in remote locations providing dental treatment. You will always have support from other dentist within the Dental Corps. I don’t know of any remote locations that you could not enjoy with your family.

If I were you I would visit an Army Dental Clinic and a Navy Dental Clinic. Bring your wife and kids along for the ride. I’m quite sure that any place you would like to visit can be coordinated by a military recruiter (hopefully the recruiter can arrange for your lodging). Have a list of questions before you arrive. Visit https://www.dencom.army.mil/home.asp and http://www.bethesda.med.navy.mil/careers/postgraduate_dental_school/ to evaluate their graduate programs.
 
I'm applying to dental school right now and I'm considering taking a navy scholarship (not just for the money, but because I think being in the navy would be a good experience). I am a little concerned about the monthly living stipend though. Granted, it's much better than the $0 I would get every month if I didn't take the scholarship, and $2000 is a considerable amount of money. But, I know that if I chose a school in a city (Boston, NYC, San Fran), etc, I may spend half of my stipend just on housing alone. I also have a car payment, insurance, utilities, food, etc, and it would be nice to not eat Ramen every night. I currently have a job where I take home about 2G after taxes each month, and there certainely isn't a lot extra. Do scholarship recipients every have to take out small loans for living? Or does the extra cash from the bonus cover this?
Also, is this stipend taxed? or do we get the full $2000 every month?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm applying to dental school right now and I'm considering taking a navy scholarship (not just for the money, but because I think being in the navy would be a good experience). I am a little concerned about the monthly living stipend though. Granted, it's much better than the $0 I would get every month if I didn't take the scholarship, and $2000 is a considerable amount of money. But, I know that if I chose a school in a city (Boston, NYC, San Fran), etc, I may spend half of my stipend just on housing alone. I also have a car payment, insurance, utilities, food, etc, and it would be nice to not eat Ramen every night. I currently have a job where I take home about 2G after taxes each month, and there certainely isn't a lot extra. Do scholarship recipients every have to take out small loans for living? Or does the extra cash from the bonus cover this?
Also, is this stipend taxed? or do we get the full $2000 every month?

In NYC, the stipend itself would cover the rent and that's about it. You'd need extra sources of income (e.g. parents, extra loans, etc) to supplement the living costs, which can be quite significant. The stipend is subject to income taxes at all govt levels, but not subject to SS taxes or medicare taxes (unlike regular paychecks). The amount of the actual paycheck depends on your exemption levels. You get more money during your ADT, but then it is considered a salary (i.e., not stipend), so you'd end up owing more taxes on it. In my first year, I took out more than $20k extra student loans to cover food and other personal things.
 
I'm 100% positive I want to do the 2-year Comprehensive Dentistry program, but I don't want to do it straight out of dental school, mostly because I think I need a little more experience before I pursue it.

That leaves me with two options:
1) Do the 1-year AEGD, practice for a few years, then do the 2-year program.

2) Just practice in the Army for a few years, then do the 2-year program.

Is option #2 looked down upon because I skip out on the 1-year program? Obviously more education is better (doing both the 1 and 2-year programs), but wouldn't there be a little redundancy doing both?

Any opinions would help. Thanks!
 
How does retirement work if you are in Active Duty for a certain number of years, and then switch to the reserves? For example, if I am an Active Duty dentist for 10 years, and then decide to join the reserves, am I eligible for retirement benefits after 10 years in the Reserves, or longer?

Thanks!

If you are active duty and switch to the Guard/Reserves once you have a total of 20 yrs of service you will be eligible to get a retirement at age 60. This link also has a Reserve retirement calculator so you can see what you would get.
 
I'm a civilian dentist who graduated in '06. I'm in the middle of applying to get into the navy. I liked the locations better along with the idea of being deployed on a ship instead of in the desert. I've already completed the long applications and have a physical scheduled.

Today I was told by an army recruiter that they WILL repay my student loans and write that into my contract vs. Navy who makes you apply and compete for that benefit. Apparently it's pretty competitive too. It's a huge amount of money to ignore. So now we're torn. I have a family of 6 and worry about location and deployment. Does the army typically give longer deployments? I heard they're hurting for dentists right now so some specialists are sent to Afganistan to serve as a general dentists. I also plan to specialize as a comprehensive dentist and worry about the army sending me to very remote places that aren't so great for a family?

So, again my question is...does army deploy dentists for longer periods and are the locations for a comprehensive dentist going to be more remote? Not sure what to do.

As a Comprehensive dentist myself, I can tell you that the assignments are not worse off - frequently they are better. Many of the smaller clinics in the Army are only possibilities for a comp dentist or general dentist - other specialties can't go there. This includes many small clinics in Europe, as well as a few Army clinics I can think of at Presidio, Ca, Virginia Beach, Va - there is also one in White Sands, NM. So for the most part, I believe as a comp dentist you will have more flexibility.

As far as the deployments - everyone can deploy. This is not because of being desperate, but because the Army doesn't want only one group of dentists to have all the fun. Many of the specialties that deploy fill either general dentist or comprehensive dentist slots - there is not an exact science to the assignments - wherever the Commander thinks he/she needs you.

Army deployments as well as Navy and AF are all 6 months. There are a small number of Army dentists that deploy for 12 months - these lucky few are those that are assigned as Brigade dentists. Although there was recently information that Army deployments for those guys are going down to 9 months. How will this affect the dentists that currently go for 6 months...will they only go for 4.5 months...don't know yet.

My last piece of advice is to look carefully at the loan repayment and how much additional time you will owe. You are correct that it can be written into your contract. The downside is that it will add an additional payback to your obligation. Also, the loan repayment for any service is taxed. So although it is $40k/yr you will only see $28k going towards your loans. Instead, if your plan is to specialize (comp dentist, etc...) if you don't take the loan repayment, you will be eligible for the specialty bonuses that much sooner. For example if you come in and take loan repayment and then do the comp program your obligation will be at least 8 years before you can begin to take the additional $50k/yr for being a comp dentist - you will have gotten $160k for loan repayment. If you don't take the loan repayment and do the comp program you can take the bonus at around the 5 yr mark.
 
Last edited:
I'm applying to dental school right now and I'm considering taking a navy scholarship (not just for the money, but because I think being in the navy would be a good experience). I am a little concerned about the monthly living stipend though. Granted, it's much better than the $0 I would get every month if I didn't take the scholarship, and $2000 is a considerable amount of money. But, I know that if I chose a school in a city (Boston, NYC, San Fran), etc, I may spend half of my stipend just on housing alone. I also have a car payment, insurance, utilities, food, etc, and it would be nice to not eat Ramen every night. I currently have a job where I take home about 2G after taxes each month, and there certainely isn't a lot extra. Do scholarship recipients every have to take out small loans for living? Or does the extra cash from the bonus cover this?
Also, is this stipend taxed? or do we get the full $2000 every month?

If you are considering taking a Navy Scholarship - why are you asking this question in the "Ask an Army Dentist" forum:laugh:?
 
I'm 100% positive I want to do the 2-year Comprehensive Dentistry program, but I don't want to do it straight out of dental school, mostly because I think I need a little more experience before I pursue it.

That leaves me with two options:
1) Do the 1-year AEGD, practice for a few years, then do the 2-year program.

2) Just practice in the Army for a few years, then do the 2-year program.

Is option #2 looked down upon because I skip out on the 1-year program? Obviously more education is better (doing both the 1 and 2-year programs), but wouldn't there be a little redundancy doing both?

Any opinions would help. Thanks!

I wouldn't do both. Although the programs are not mirrors of each other, there would be a little redundancy. If you applied your senior year for the program, you would end up being a general dentist for a year prior to starting the program. If you wanted more time than this then you could wait until your first year in the Army before you apply. If you wait longer than 2 yrs to start the program, your payback will be more then what you would have originally owed (6 yrs), so try to do something within the first 2 yrs.

With the comprehensive program because there are 20 spots available each year, you have a pretty good chance getting in - even without the 12 month AEGD. I don't think that not doing the program will be too much of a detriment.
 
I applied for the Army HPSP back in December '10. By the time my recruiter was finished with my paperwork, all 4 year scholarships were taken. At that time I was shooting for the 3.5 year deal. A couple months ago, my recruiter informed me that the 3.5 year deals were no longer going to be offered starting this new fiscal year so I was only eligible for a 3 year.

A week ago, I got a call from my recruiter notifying me that a full 4-year scholarship came available last minute. I took the deal and commissioned this week. I'm very excited about the unexpected opportunity.

So for all of you HPSP applicants: don't worry about timing of scholarships. Just get your package in ASAP - you never know!

It's a great feeling being an Army HPSP recipient!
 
I applied for the Army HPSP back in December '10. By the time my recruiter was finished with my paperwork, all 4 year scholarships were taken. At that time I was shooting for the 3.5 year deal. A couple months ago, my recruiter informed me that the 3.5 year deals were no longer going to be offered starting this new fiscal year so I was only eligible for a 3 year.

A week ago, I got a call from my recruiter notifying me that a full 4-year scholarship came available last minute. I took the deal and commissioned this week. I'm very excited about the unexpected opportunity.

So for all of you HPSP applicants: don't worry about timing of scholarships. Just get your package in ASAP - you never know!

It's a great feeling being an Army HPSP recipient!

Congrats!!! Take advantage of any externships (TDY) that you can do at an Army base while in school!!!
 
Do you have any advice about how to go about doing that? Do I need to have completed OBLC to participate in externships during school? My school's summer extension overlaps with OBLC so it looks like I'll have to wait until I graduate to complete it.
 
Do you have any advice about how to go about doing that? Do I need to have completed OBLC to participate in externships during school? My school's summer extension overlaps with OBLC so it looks like I'll have to wait until I graduate to complete it.

I remember hearing you have to do OBLC before you can do externships which means if by some chance you do get a summer free, you have to take OBLC. My brother told me this really isn't a problem for the Navy because OBLC is offered multiple times per summer but Army is just once a summer.
 
Do you have any advice about how to go about doing that? Do I need to have completed OBLC to participate in externships during school? My school's summer extension overlaps with OBLC so it looks like I'll have to wait until I graduate to complete it.

While attendance at BOLC would nice it is not mandatory. When it comes time to do externships as ADT, I recommend you first read chapter 4 of the Policy Handbook found under the General Info tab at www.mods.army.mil/medicaleduction. It gives you where you can rotate and the name and number for the ADT coordinator for Dental Corps, currently Ms. FLores. Once you contact the coordinator, she will ensure that you hook up with a recruiter in order to get a quick instruction on the proper wear of the uniform as well as who to salute and when.
 
I remember hearing you have to do OBLC before you can do externships which means if by some chance you do get a summer free, you have to take OBLC. My brother told me this really isn't a problem for the Navy because OBLC is offered multiple times per summer but Army is just once a summer.

In the recent past the BOLC seats for Dental Corps have been very limited except for those who are graduating and enroute to their first duty assignment (we ALWAYS have room for graduates).

Starting in 2013 the business practice is going to change dramatically. In 2013, BOLC will be offered to HPSP students twice during the spring/summer. There will be a mandatory online portion that will be completed prior to attendace in San Antonio. The attendace portion will be shortened to 26 days from the current 42.

By shortening the time away from school and offering it in two different timeframes, our hope is to move away from the current practice and move back to making it mandatory while in HPSP.
 
Hi there, I'm currently a senior Undergrad at the University at Buffalo and I was wondering when I need to apply for the scholarship. I know that dental students usually apply during their first/second year, but as a student under the early assurance program, I was hoping I could apply earlier. Early assurance at Buffalo, however, is conditional the student needs to maintain a 3.7 overall GPA every semester and get a 20/30 on their DAT's academic average, PAT and Reading Comprehension.
Now that I'm in my last year, I only have two more semesters before dental school. I will also be DAT's in November. So, just to sum it up, is it possible for an undergrad senior in the Early Assurance Dental Program to apply during undergrad. Thank you!
 
Hi there, I'm currently a senior Undergrad at the University at Buffalo and I was wondering when I need to apply for the scholarship. I know that dental students usually apply during their first/second year, but as a student under the early assurance program, I was hoping I could apply earlier. Early assurance at Buffalo, however, is conditional the student needs to maintain a 3.7 overall GPA every semester and get a 20/30 on their DAT's academic average, PAT and Reading Comprehension.
Now that I'm in my last year, I only have two more semesters before dental school. I will also be DAT's in November. So, just to sum it up, is it possible for an undergrad senior in the Early Assurance Dental Program to apply during undergrad. Thank you!

It's good you asked, because application begins now. If you would have waited until next year it would have put you at a disadvantage. You should begin meeting with the recruiter now to get your application together and physical. The final step of the application is the acceptance letter from the dental school usually sent out the first of December.

Good luck!!
 
I wanted to ask a quick question am in my first yr of dental school and wanted to apply for the HPSP scholarship or the MDssp natonal guard. I have a hard time making weight but I did for the National guard and did my phyiscal and now the army has 3 yr scholarship. But the recuiter is dragging their feet about the situation. The national guard lady has my packet at the borads already. I don't want to be left out in the rain with the military but am nervous if I wait for the army lady the first semester will be over and their is no guar that I will the HPSP scholarship. Please give ur imput I need it. Also I know that the HPSP is better but does anybody know any other good things with the MDSSP with the national guard. I have 3.4 GPA and 3.1 Grad
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wanted to ask a quick question am in my first yr of dental school and wanted to apply for the HPSP scholarship or the MDssp natonal guard. I have a hard time making weight but I did for the National guard and did my phyiscal and now the army has 3 yr scholarship. But the recuiter is dragging their feet about the situation. The national guard lady has my packet at the borads already. I don't want to be left out in the rain with the military but am nervous if I wait for the army lady the first semester will be over and their is no guar that I will the HPSP scholarship. Please give ur imput I need it. Also I know that the HPSP is better but does anybody know any other good things with the MDSSP with the national guard. I have 3.4 GPA and 3.1 Grad

Off the top of my head, if the MDSSP is the 1 year payback for every 6 months of stipend you should seriously reconsider it. It's a huge time commitment for minimal benefit. Basically you're obligating yourself to twice the length of time in service. I spoke to the ARNG recruiter at the ADA in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, and there's some good programs that may come in the next year.

Based on your situation, you should try to drop the weight and shoot for the HPSP. Alternatively the Army reserve/ARNG bonus or loan repayment will be there after you graduate should the HPSP come off the table.

Hope this helps, just my 2 cents.
 
It's good you asked, because application begins now. If you would have waited until next year it would have put you at a disadvantage. You should begin meeting with the recruiter now to get your application together and physical. The final step of the application is the acceptance letter from the dental school usually sent out the first of December.

Good luck!!

If you are on HPSP, how much does a general dentist get paid right out of dental school with 0 yr of service? I am trying to figure out how much goes into the salary besides the base pay, BAH and BAS.

Also, while you are on HPSP, do you get BAH and BAS with O-1 base pay during the 1.5mo of ADT?
 
If you are on HPSP, how much does a general dentist get paid right out of dental school with 0 yr of service? I am trying to figure out how much goes into the salary besides the base pay, BAH and BAS.

Also, while you are on HPSP, do you get BAH and BAS with O-1 base pay during the 1.5mo of ADT?

Straight out of dental school will be around $80k/yr. If you are an HPSP recipient then you should also add how much each year of the scholarship was worth to you and add it to your first 3 or 4 yrs of salary to see the full benefit.

So someone who went to a school that had tuition of $40k (tuition + expenses) + $25k in stipend should add the $80k + $65k = $145k to realize the "adjusted benefit/salary" for the initial first 3-4 yrs.
 
Straight out of dental school will be around $80k/yr. If you are an HPSP recipient then you should also add how much each year of the scholarship was worth to you and add it to your first 3 or 4 yrs of salary to see the full benefit.

So someone who went to a school that had tuition of $40k (tuition + expenses) + $25k in stipend should add the $80k + $65k = $145k to realize the "adjusted benefit/salary" for the initial first 3-4 yrs.

Do you know if you would get BAH and BAS with O-1 base pay during the 1.5mo of ADT for HPSP?
 
According to the handbook, you receive full pay and allowances (housing, subsistence) for the rank of O-1. You also receive per diem (ADT expenses), travel to/from ADT and family separation pay (if applicable). Per Diem and family separation are only applicable while serving somewhere other than your local area.
 
Hello to apply for the HPSP for the 3 yr scholarship what would be a good gpa to have. Well we all know dental school is hard. So please somebody give me a good number. Dental school will kill ur undergrad gpa
 
Depends on if there are any 3 yr scholarships left. Speak with the recruiter and see what is available. If there are some left, then it is all relative to how many others are applying for the available scholarships. I would think something around a 3.5 would be good - but I'm just guessing. Main thing is what is still available.
 
As an HPSP dental, do you know where I can find a list of places I could be stationed after I graduate? Also, do you know how easy it is to get the place you request?

thanks
 
I haven't seen any good websites that list the locations. You can google search to get a general idea - but there may not always be a dental clinic at all military installations. Some are too small.

In the end it does not matter where dental clinics are. When you graduate you are only going to get stationed some place where there is an opening. As an example - many people would probably put Hawaii as their #1 choice. It is not frequently open and thus unavailable. What you need to do is begin talking to the assignments officer beginning in Nov/Dec of the year you are graduating to see what is open. They will typically give you several choices and you will get to choose from those options.
 
I have applied to the program already but I am wondering what a typical day is for an army dentist after graduation on base. Also are duties when deployed different? Thanks!
 
One other question... is there hpsp for army reserves? And if there is what is your obligation and are there still the same benefits during dental school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One other question... is there hpsp for army reserves? And if there is what is your obligation and are there still the same benefits during dental school?

Army Reserves have an Health Profession Loan repayment or Dental Bonus program.
I believe currently there's only 3 year contracts available. The loan repayment is $20,000 year, the Dental Bonus is $25,000/year, all taxable. There is no program like the HPSP for Guard/Reserves.

The Guard incentives are similar to the reserve.

Search the threads for my write up on either, or msg me. Good luck.