Ask any questions about basic training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Single Mom DDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My OBC starts next month and I've been trying to get into shape as the physical training starts as soon as I get there.

What scares me the most is that I have to run 2 miles in 16 minutes when I can run only a mile.

What happens if you can't run fast enough to pass the OBC training?
Do they give any leeway to female officers?
Do they make you run 2 miles everyday?

Members don't see this ad.

Single Mom,

Don't worry too much about it. Just do what you are doing now. If you can't pass the run, sit up, push-up, they will simply put you in a remedial PT class which is actrully only 2 days more then the general group. Most will only do PT on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. The remedial is Tuesday and Thursday. The only lee-way would only be push-ups compared to males.

During my OBC 6 years ago, we did run 2 miles almost everyday but it was with each set of people placed in different pace groups...

From what I have seen, people who can't pass the APFT at OBC are required to stay a few weeks longer to get to par.... THe only exception I have personally seen were healthcare professionals who were needed to work ASAP.

Don't worry too much... if you excercise honestly during OBC, you will pass... everyone I knew at OBC passed....

Single Mom,
You really don't have much to worry about! Just like Seoul said, if you try hard, you will be fine.
I went to OBC 2 years ago and didn't pass the sit ups. I had to do NO extra work or anything. Last year, a few of my classmates went and my friend (a single mom) didn't pass any of the things. She was put into a different physical training class than others in her platoon. There were about 20 people in it with her. They just ran at a slower speed than anyone else and did things to increase speed and endurance.
If I were you, I would focus on what I CAN do, and not worry. Try hard, but if you don't make it, you can walk the rest of the 2 miles.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
So according to the Army, I need to weigh in at 205, I have not seen this weight since I was a sophomore in high school. No chance of seeing it again. I realize I will get taped to calculate BMI, when I was at MEPS 4 years ago, I initially failed (apparently by a fraction) and passed the next time 30 days later. I am about the same weight as when I entered dental school ~230lbs 6'1"----I can easily pass the PT test, and score pretty high. I would consider myself in pretty good shape.

My questions are these:
1. How often will I have to be taped while in the service? I am tired of stressing out about my weight, I feel like an obnoxious anorexic female!

2. If when I arrive at OBLC I do not meet the requirements---what will they do with me?

Thanks

I can only answer OBLC question, since I am still in Dental school. I had another friend who didn't meet the weight requirements, even though she was by no means overweight. She got taped, of course, and still didn't pass. She passed all of the PT requirements. They told her she should try to lose a little weight, and then that was it. OBLC is only 6 weeks, so I don't think they follow up with you as much as they would if you were active.
My friend graduated from Med school last year and when she got to her duty station, and she was put on a "weight loss" track. She met with a doc and they discussed nutrition, exercise, etc. She says it's a joke and that they don't really care that much because she can pass the PT test and do all of the the PT requirements.
Hope this helps!

So according to the Army, I need to weigh in at 205, I have not seen this weight since I was a sophomore in high school. No chance of seeing it again. I realize I will get taped to calculate BMI, when I was at MEPS 4 years ago, I initially failed (apparently by a fraction) and passed the next time 30 days later. I am about the same weight as when I entered dental school ~230lbs 6'1"----I can easily pass the PT test, and score pretty high. I would consider myself in pretty good shape.

My questions are these:
1. How often will I have to be taped while in the service? I am tired of stressing out about my weight, I feel like an obnoxious anorexic female!

2. If when I arrive at OBLC I do not meet the requirements---what will they do with me?

Thanks

Unless it has changed, you are required to perform the APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) twice a year. You might as well get used to dealing with it because it can be a negative mark on your evals if it continues to be a problem. Perhaps some of the current active duty guys cans share some of their expereinces.

I know that the Navy is getting pretty serious about thw whole issue as compared to the past. When I attended my officer basic course two years ago they informed us of a new Navy policy that if you fail your PT test/ weight standards more than two times in your entire career you will be kicked out of the Navy.

if you fail your PT test/ weight standards more than two times in your entire career you will be kicked out of the Navy.

Fail both or just one of them at a time? I was under the impression that as long as you taped out right, the weight was not an issue. I failed the weight part at meps but passed the tape and didn't have a problem.

Also, can anyone else agree with me that the tape method is the worst way to do BMI? I guess that it is quick and dirty but not up to standards (at least I didn't learn about it in my exercise science degree program).

Fail both or just one of them at a time? I was under the impression that as long as you taped out right, the weight was not an issue. I failed the weight part at meps but passed the tape and didn't have a problem.

If they tape you and your BMI is within standards it is not considered a "failure" of height/weight.

I went to OBC last summer. Here's the deal with the PT tests. You take a full PT test and get weighed the first day. Those of you that fail will get the pleasure of doing remedial PT while those of us who are in shape (see: Utahdent) get to learn Brazilian jujitsu when we are in the field.

Other than that, no penalty for being grossly out of shape. Enjoy.

My questions are these:

Thanks

1. In active duty, If you do not meet the weight limit, you will be taped at every APFT.. The requirement is a passing PT test every 6 months.

2. If things are the same, you will have a PT test that consist of Push-up, sit-up, and the 2 mile run (Army). I believe the airforce is 1.5 miles. If you don't pass the PT test, you will be placed in the remedial PT group. Its not all that bad as I have stated on the earlier post. Just before graduating from OBC, you will take a record PT test and weight. If you pass the PT test, but are weight more than the Army standards, you will be taped. Don't know the weight limit off the bat from my mind for females but for a 6'2" male, I think its around 207lbs, maybe less for females.?? I guess I too must start getting in shape again.... I gained about 20 lbs since leaving the service....

sorry if this shamelessly ignorant, but what do you mean by 'taped'?

I have OBLC this summer, and I am having trouble finding more info on the PT requirements. For the 2-mile run, 2 minutes of pushups and 2 minutes of situps... how fast does the run need to be? (for a female) and do you need to be able to do 2 minutes of continuous pushups/situps, or is there a certain number you have to do? And is there any leeway with the pushups -- like being able to do girl pushups for example? :)
About the taping, it's just a way for them to measure your BMI. Some people think it's kind of a joke --they just take measurements of your wrist, your neck, and around your thighs (I think) to assess your body frame. I.e., if you don't meet the weight requirement but don't have an excessive amount of body fat (maybe are very muscular) the taping is supposed to be a way to get around the weight requirement.

I have OBLC this summer, and I am having trouble finding more info on the PT requirements. For the 2-mile run, 2 minutes of pushups and 2 minutes of situps... how fast does the run need to be? (for a female) and do you need to be able to do 2 minutes of continuous pushups/situps, or is there a certain number you have to do? And is there any leeway with the pushups -- like being able to do girl pushups for example? :)
About the taping, it's just a way for them to measure your BMI. Some people think it's kind of a joke --they just take measurements of your wrist, your neck, and around your thighs (I think) to assess your body frame. I.e., if you don't meet the weight requirement but don't have an excessive amount of body fat (maybe are very muscular) the taping is supposed to be a way to get around the weight requirement.

You can find all the information you need online.
Here is the first site that popped up when i googled APFT.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/afpt.htm
You need not continue doing pushups and situps for the entire 2 mintues, once you have passed the minimum or have obtained the maximum score.
I too was struggling with pushups until speaking with my brother about form. He hits maximum every test in about 1 minute. The key is to get as wide a stance as you are able to with your arms---this will allow for the majority of the strain to be on your pec muscles and much less extension is needed for one repetition. I was able to double my repetitions in about 2 weeks by tweaking my stance. Good luck! See you at OBLC. :D

Thanks for the info! That's not as bad as I thought it would be... I still have some work to do though... and boards to study for. Fun, fun.
Thanks again.

hello,
i've been reading up on what happens during your pt during training and i started to get a little worried. i read that i need to run 2 miles in under 16 minutes, but the problem is i can run a mile in 9 minutes. what happens if i don't get the 180 points to pass my pt? do i get sent home as an person that has never enlisted? i want to do this and its kind of worrying me that i have to run that in 16 minutes.

hello,
i've been reading up on what happens during your pt during training and i started to get a little worried. i read that i need to run 2 miles in under 16 minutes, but the problem is i can run a mile in 9 minutes. what happens if i don't get the 180 points to pass my pt? do i get sent home as an person that has never enlisted? i want to do this and its kind of worrying me that i have to run that in 16 minutes.

Since this is a dental forum I assume you are asking about passing the PT test as an officer. If you can't pass at the end of Officer Basic Leadership Course (OBLC) Then you have additional time to pass once you get to your next duty assignment. If that still doesn't happen after a long period of time you could get kicked out and asked to repay what the Army paid for you.

If you are not applying as a dental officer and you are asking this question I would recommend you ask your recruiter.