[ask]difference between BmedSC and MBBS ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

payme777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the difference from those two degree ?
are they the same ? :confused:
BmedSC = bachelor of medical science , i think

Members don't see this ad.

To my understanding, MBBS/BMed/BMBS are all medical degrees while medical science is more of a science degree (B.Sc), but with a focus on human biology...

To my understanding, MBBS/BMed/BMBS are all medical degrees while medical science is more of a science degree (B.Sc), but with a focus on human biology...

Correct.

These are all equivalent medical degrees
BMed=MBBS=BMBS=MD (USA)=MDCM (Canada)=MBChB=MB

These are equivalent degrees in Human Biology, Biology, health/medical science
BSc = BMedSc = BS (US) = BHB (NZ) = BHSc

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct.

ok thanks for your response ;)
i was confused when unimelb offered bmedsc
and MBBS and MD

Correct.

None of BMedSc, BSc, or BHSc are equivalent. Many aussie universities offer all 3. why would they if they were all equivalent? You can study similar things in all 3, but you don't have to.

For example, at Sydney, the BHSc requires 2 majors, the health science major and a 2nd related major. The health science major is not something offered in any BSc, and the 2nd major can be in sociology, which would not be a BSc major.

Also, within a BSc, you can major in computer science, physics, etc, which you cannot do any either the BHSc or BMedSc. The BMedSc doesnt even have majors. The BMedSc at Sydney prescribes all 1st and 2nd year subjects (i.e. there are no electives in these years). In the 3rd years, you must take at least 6 final year medical science subjects, which happen to be the same subjects offered for the related BSc majors (biochemistry, histology, pathology, anatomy, etc.). However, all 1st and 2nd year subjects are distinct from those offered to BSc students. They are resitricted only to BMedSc students. A BSc major requires only two 2nd year and four final year major courses, wheras the BMedSc requires 8 prescribed at 2nd year and 6 electives at 3rd year. Thus, the BMedSc requirements are more rigourous than those of the BSc, though you can choose to take more rigourous subjects than required in the BSc. Also, entrance to BMedSc is much more competitive than BSc. pretty much anyone can get into to BSc, but the BMedSc will require you are a demostrable good student.

the 3 are not equivalent. however, they are similar to a N. American BS, in that they are science related undergrad bachelor degrees.

the 3 are not equivalent. however, they are similar to a N. American BS, in that they are science related undergrad bachelor degrees.

I think this is what Dr. Millisevert was getting at. Like in the States where different BS degrees have very different requirements and admissions criteria (depending on both subject and school), the above degrees are, generally speaking, equivalent. To say otherwise would be similar to saying that the MBBS (Oz) and MD (US or Melbourne) are not equivalent, which would be splitting hairs and just confusing in this context.

I think this is what Dr. Millisevert was getting at. Like in the States where different BS degrees have very different requirements and admissions criteria (depending on both subject and school), the above degrees are, generally speaking, equivalent. To say otherwise would be similar to saying that the MBBS (Oz) and MD (US or Melbourne) are not equivalent, which would be splitting hairs and just confusing in this context.

Thanks Pitman.. yeah... that is basically what I was saying. In general terms they are all 3 basic bachelors degrees in science or health sciences. Many people take of these different courses as a (pre-med) stepping stone into a graduate medicine/dental course. That's all. They are for all practical purposes relatively equivalent first degrees. :thumbup: