Ask DocEspana Anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocEspana

Bullish
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I've ignored this specific forum for others lately, so I figured I would give back to all of the pre-DOs (and regular DO students) on here. Feel free to ask me anything, both professional and silly. The only caveat I give is that I am currently a bit outside of the Hurricane path and about to go to sleep. So if I don't come back tomorrow, its because the power went overnight. But barring power outage, I will answer every single question posed no matter the topic (unless its completely inappropriate).

Some facts on me so you can have starting points.

- Fourth year student at TouroCOM-NY

- Pre-DO admission stats: 3.2, 34T MCAT, mid-level public school. Interviewed at most DO schools and a crap ton of MD schools.

- Current interests: Urologic Surgery, Emergency Medicine

- Past Interests: Plastics, General Surgery, Ophthalmology

- Currently a Delegate to the AMA House of Delegates as well as a crap ton of positions in the AMA student section, AMA full section, and the Medical Society of the State of NY (Both student and full). My friends and connections in this area have been especially useful as I personally know (And sometimes hang out with) the big movers and shakers in medical-legal matters.

- I also play werewolf on this website WAY WAY WAY too damn much.

- Used to be a stand up comedian, in an improvisational comedy troupe, and was a professional radio DJ for 2.5 years at an indie station.

So ask away. Hopefully I can be of use to some people, and entertainment to others. If this thread totally bombs, I won't be surprised nor will I feel bad. But I figure I should give you guys some more attention and this is the simplest way to go about it. My apologies if its a little narcissistic to assume you want to ask me questions, but I will guarantee to be interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you sleep with my girlfriend. I'm going to kill you.

220px-Shaggy-wasn't-me.jpg

More importantly, do you want her back? Because... I thought I'd make her breakfast afterwards, seemed like the polite thing to do, scrambled eggs ad the like, and she's sort of hung around since then. I don't need a clinger. I already have a roommate. And she has yet to make me a sandwich. Except for the amazing night, this has really gone poorly for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I've ignored this specific forum for others lately, so I figured I would give back to all of the pre-DOs (and regular DO students) on here. Feel free to ask me anything, both professional and silly. The only caveat I give is that I am currently a bit outside of the Hurricane path and about to go to sleep. So if I don't come back tomorrow, its because the power went overnight. But barring power outage, I will answer every single question posed no matter the topic (unless its completely inappropriate).

- Pre-DO admission stats: 3.2, 34T MCAT, mid-level public school. Interviewed at most DO schools and a crap ton of MD schools.

- Currently a Delegate to the AMA House of Delegates as well as a crap ton of positions in the AMA student section, AMA full section, and the Medical Society of the State of NY (Both student and full). My friends and connections in this area have been especially useful as I personally know (And sometimes hang out with) the big movers and shakers in medical-legal matters.

- Used to be a stand up comedian, in an improvisational comedy troupe, and was a professional radio DJ for 2.5 years at an indie station.

So ask away. Hopefully I can be of use to some people, and entertainment to others. If this thread totally bombs, I won't be surprised nor will I feel bad. But I figure I should give you guys some more attention and this is the simplest way to go about it. My apologies if its a little narcissistic to assume you want to ask me questions, but I will guarantee to be interesting.

How much debt are you graduating with? IBR?

What are your step I/II scores?

You had good stats (in 2008), why did you choose to got TouroNY?

Is med school as tough as everyone says?

Wife and/or children? if so how do you manage?

I share your interest in EM, but why Uro? aside from money of course

How did you become so active in medical politics?

Who are you voting for?

Yessshh. Let me start off by saying that I have read some of your stuff and find most of it insightful but yet funny.

1) why didnt you shoot for a SMP? Ur Mcat was solid and ur GPA was low, isnt that what SMPs are made for?

2) if you had to do t all over again, would you go to DO school or sit out a year and shoot for MD? My gpa is not competative, and I can either retake classes for DO school, or look into SMPs, and I would like to know what drove you down the DO path.

3) Are average DO students really doomed to PCP, or can they realistically land surgical specialties?

4) How are you managing your debt and how much in debt are you? What is your total cost of going to school? how much debt will you have by the time you graduate and how are u gonna pay it off?

5) If you were a dinosaur, which one would you be and why?

6) Was your GPA ever brought up in interview?

7) Did you ever consider dentistry or other healthcare fields? If so, why not pursue those?

8) Do you see DO discrimination in the workforce? Is it really the scarlet letters that people make it out to be?

thanks!

When are they going to get rid of COCA? At least put it under LCME??

I have a secondary done at TouroNY and I'm hoping they offer me an interview. How do you feel about it in general?

I was wondering if you could share your experiences about rotations. I understand that the clinical years are incredibly important for landing a good residency, and I would be grateful if you can answer some of my questions.

Were you able to rotate at any hospital you wanted to in your fourth year beyond your assigned core rotation site?

How easy was it for you to set up a rotation at an institution that did not have a strong relationship with TouroCOM-NY? (For example, if you wanted to rotate at Cleveland Clinic or some other well-regarded program in order to audition for a potential residency position.)

What was that process of setting up a rotation like?

Did you encounter any DO biases while rotating at an allopathic institution, and if so, were they from other students, staff, or attendings?

Do you have any tips that you could share about how to rotate successfully? (Like things to keep in mind or obstacles to overcome?) Any experiences are welcome! :D

I hope it's not too crazy in NYC and stay safe.

How much debt are you graduating with? IBR?
I worked it out to be exactly $200,000 on the nose. I did have a small little packet of money saved up before hand, but it was only a few thousand and given my tendancies to party hard when single, and spend large amounts of money on dates when not single... the saved up money is almost a non-factor given my personal life's impact. I happened to work out each year on roughly 50K a year (technically slightly less per year with a very large loan disbursment on year 4 to cover travel expenses)

What are your step I/II scores?

Step I 242. Comlex I 585.
Step II: 222, Comlex II 555. I had a family emergency come up the same week as my step II/comlex II since i took them four weeks apart. It really screwed up my last minute push.

You had good stats (in 2008), why did you choose to got TouroNY?

One of the things I have most debated in my life is if my choice of undergrad hurt me. I am involved in higher level organized medicine and you really see that with rare exceptions for truly brilliant and gifted individuals, everyone in all the medical schools (MD/DO) come from big name schools. I would say it is not an exaggeration to say that 85-90% of medical students come from big name schools. and the 10-15 who don't (and this includes private liberal arts colleges and mid-level publics) they are either exceptionally gifted or probably in a school below them.

Do I think touro is a school below me? No. My 3.2 gpa came mostly from my complete inability to understand calculus at all and my schools absolute refusal to 1) offer non-calculus based physics and 2) honor any non-calculus physics taken at an outside institution towards my graduation requirements. I barely passed physics I and physics II. almost every place I applied to gave me an interview, but most told me straight out I'd be waitlisted because they couldnt get passed my inability to do calculus or physics. I had a number of DO schools in desirable locations and MD schools in undesirable locations to pick from. I always wanted to stay near where I grew up (In NY) and TouroNY honestly blew me away on their interview. I believed in them and it was the only school within 3 hours of where I wanted to be.... even though I had many choices in the 3-24 hour driving range. I am very happy where I went. Though I won't deny that I've sat around and pondered if my school played a role in me being waitlisted and rejected in so many places.

I have actually seen the data on this stuff. I am one of three students with my statistics (MCAT, GPA, ethnicity) who did not enroll into an MD school out of 35ish applicants in the same category. I shrug and move on with life.

Is med school as tough as everyone says?

Yes and No. It absolutely is. Unless you are okay with always riding the pass/fail edge it will destroy your social life, strongly hinder your family life (outside of whomever lives with you), it will change the way you think and socially interact, it will crush you with oppressive levels of knowledge to be learned in short periods of time.

But I still say its not as bad as people say because people tell you the objective facts. As I did above. It is absolutely cruel and unusual. It is infinitely tougher than anything undergrad can bring you (I'm dating someone from a highly competitive undergrad who is a pre-med senior and her "terribly difficult" classes of anatomy and physiology are laughably slow paced and low detail compared to the medical student versions)

Why do I say that its not as bad? Because if you "do" med school right, you won't notice it. You'll become insulate inside of the med school world. 100% of your social circle (minus and family that lives with you) will be going through the same thing. You will all have insane study requirements and no social life to speak of outside of social escapes with other students when the schedule naturally allows them. You will moan and groan and hate it at first. But very rapidly it becomes your life, and because everyone around you is doing the same, it doesnt seem so odd or quite as bad as it objectively is. You change. As a person you adapt rapidly or you drown. And once you are a super student (lets say part way into second semester) you will suddenly have all of this free time you will love and cherish. "all of this free time" may be 3 hours each day where you can do nothing. It will seem like a glorius eternity. But stop and look at your life right now. Count every minute, including eating (but not lunch break), where you're not in class, washing up for class, sleeping or studying. I bet its a hell of a lot more than 3 hours per day. You become that crazy efficient, and then suddenly med school is easy. But its because you're a different person.

Wife and/or children? if so how do you manage?

Nope. GF. Had a few. I've lost a few over my schedule, but I tend to look for the ones who are okay with it, so i've managed two good ones in a four year stretch.

I share your interest in EM, but why Uro? aside from money of course

A psych resident once told me that psychiatry and urology are the two fields that if you enjoy them at all, you should do: because they are overwhelmingly amazing fields and almost everyone has a strong visceral distaste for. Urology enraptures me. The residents are uniformly happy and fun. The field has to take itself lightly since it deals with dicks all day. And I have a surgical mindset. The fact of the matter is: Its freaking impossible to get into and I have to pray to god and hope on my lucky stars to get in.

EM is *relatively* easier to get into. But its not really a second choice for me. Its like a secret mistress. I was always so surgically minded. But something about emergency medicine has enraptured me. It gets my heart racing, it never burns me out, and time flies by when I'm doing it. I have split loves and I'd be totally okay with either field, though i know I will always wonder about the other one, because I feel so excited about both fields.

How did you become so active in medical politics?

Purely by accident. I have a dual degree in biology and political science and really could have been a lawyer, but my father does law and I had to strike my own path. The AMA branch of my school was having an election. A massively popular person was running for chair and no one dared oppose him. A massively efficient person was running for vice chair and had the sort of mindset that made you think he'd be good at running a group. I was convinced to throw my hat in because the vice-chair position had some implied political activity and my friends thought I'd do well. The vote tied. The chair was allowed to cast the tie-breaker. I told him that I would be okay with not winning, but that I would do whatever he asked of me if he did choose me. He did. He told me the price of winning his vote was that I had to make our group relevant at the state level.

I've made it relevant nationally and, as an individual, have become one of the more (I wont use the word most) influential students in the american medico-legal scene. There are a good number who tower over me in influence, but I have my niche that I am the pre-eminent source on (as many other students have carved their niches) and I am lucky enough to be from NY which represents about 10% of the entire student representation in the AMA. Being a known name in NY has some sort of passive positive glow in dealing with other states. I'm not ashamed to say I've milked the NY end of this to make sure my opinions (which are well researched and educated) carry more weight than someone from a much smaller state would have. Its helped my career.

Who are you voting for?

Kcarab Amabo.
I say I'm a militant moderate, and I really am. But there are certain sways in politics on the right side of the isle that have soured me to the republican platform for the last few years. I love moderates of either party over anyone, but the democratic party is at least 40% moderates and 15% extreme left, while the republican party is probably 60% extreme right (esp in the house) and only 8-10% moderate overall (And 0% moderate in the house). I prefer my politicians able to debate the issues and honestly modify their opinions based on facts that they learn along the way from debating with their opponents. Barack is a guy with a great set of ideals and a fantastic vision who is too timid to fight for what he wants and thinks that giving ground to a party that hates him will make them give ground to him later out of respect (this might work in the past, but not in the current climate). But romney is just someone who has a great set of talking points but has shown no ability to differentiate himself at all from the party talking points and flesh out any of his ideas. I can't support someone with no ability to 1) show he is his own leader and 2) distance himself from the "all or nothing" tactics that are tacitly anti-american (we are a nation of compromise) and has caused a near-complete government standstill over the last 4 years.

That's a great response!

Do you know of any funny osteopathic med student tumblrs? I could use a good laugh.

Hey thanks for the offer to help,,,

I have an interview coming up at Touro NY and was wondering if you can suggest to me whether I should go or not. I've already been accepted to CCOM and waiting to hear back from NSU and Western. If I get into either one of those two, I am probably going to decline the acceptance from CCOM since I really don't like the cold even though I think Chicago is awesome and CCOM one of the best. With that said, I always dreamed about living in NYC. I lived there for two summers long time ago and loved it, but just not sure if I want to be there for the whole four years. It's definitely the best city in the world, but I am just not so sure about the quality of life as a medical student (tiny living situation and $$$ and the cold)

Thanks

Last edited:
Great to hear your story on how you ended up at Touro NY.I just started at a DO school in August. I had a 3.47 GPA and a 32R MCAT and good ECs. I applied to over 20 MD schools, was interviewed at 3 and accepted to none. Like you I was awful at Calculus and Physics which lead to my low GPA but I retook those courses and earned As but it still only brought my GPA up to a 3.47.. I was scoring in the mid 30s on nearly all my practice AAMC exams but then ended up with a 9 in the physical sciences section for the actual exam. I know for a fact that this was due to initial test anxiety(which I've never had before) but I just couldn't bring myself to retake the MCAT after already having done most of the practice exams and after having been away from the material for a whole month.. My verbal score was an 11 and my bio score was a 12. I later applied to EVMS Medical Master's, Tulane ACP, University of Cincinnati Master's in Physiology, and Temple's ACMS program.

I was rejected from Temple's ACMS program with no interview(would have obviously been my first choice) but was accepted to the other three. I couldn't afford Tulane's program since the school would not give financial aid for the program and all private loan companies wouldn't let me defer paying them back for a year(like you would be able to do with educational loans).

For Cincinnati I looked at their roster and it appeared that many of their graduates ended up in DO programs anyway and on top of that their curriculum for their SMP was extremely rigorous(entire first year curriculum plus thesis and a huge proportion of your grade appears to come from presentations/thesis and not courses) and it just didn't seem like it would be worth it. I found out later though that completion of the program would have gotten me in-state status for Ohio. Unfortunately they had already given my spot away by that time..

It came down to choosing between EVMS and the DO school but it just seemed frightening to me to willingly let go of a medical school acceptance to complete a master's program at EVMS after which I would have to pay out of state tuition for the following 4 years on top of the master's program and undergrad debt. I was estimating having a debt load of around or over 400k for attending EVMS via the SMP program..

I'm still unsure if I made the right choice.. I didn't really feel like I had much of an alternative since the debt load would be so high, I'd be losing a year and there was still a slight chance I might not be accepted to the corresponding MD program..

To be honest I'm still wrestling with my choice even though it's already too late and I'm nearly 4/5ths done with the first semester at the DO school.. What did you do to get over your feelings of 'failure', regrets or negativity if you had any? Do you think I made the right choice(honestly)? I'm doing very well in my courses so far but I know that preclinical grades don't matter much. However, lately I keep ruminating over the choice I made and it gets me pretty upset at times so much so that I waste a lot of time and get discouraged from studying because I don't feel that comfortable yet with being a DO especially since I suppose an MD wasn't totally out of reach for me.. What should I do to combat these feelings and to regain my motivation and positive outlook on my education/career?

I know you've been addressing this indirectly ad nauseam in various threads but do you think that the merging of the residencies and impending ACGME certification for all AOA residencies might lessen the stigma more and could potentially lead to a blending/unification of the degrees?

Why are DOs only recognized as physicians with full practice rights in 45-50 other countries? I know that it has somewhat to do with the fact that in other countries their own 'osteopaths' are limited to manual manipulation but it shouldn't be too hard to prove that American DOs are physicians with the same knowledge, skills, and residency training as their MD counterparts. I know there's a very miniscule chance that I would ever plan to practice overseas but it still bugs me that having a DO degree could limit you if you wanted to practice internationally in certain countries. Do you know if the AOA is doing anything about this and whether the speed with which other countries are recognizing the DO degree will increase at a faster rate than it has been?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
What is something you wish you knew before, when you were pre-med?

Does which DO school you go to matter that much? Being from NY had a good effect on your AMA role. How much does location play a role in terms of medical education?

Yessshh. Let me start off by saying that I have read some of your stuff and find most of it insightful but yet funny.

1) why didnt you shoot for a SMP? Ur Mcat was solid and ur GPA was low, isnt that what SMPs are made for?

The real reason: I want to finish my education, start my life, and not keep adding years onto the point when I start to have a family. I won't have a family without having an income (+/- crushing debt and insane work hours with that income). I considered it, but felt very strongly against the master programs because of my desire to move through the system quickly as possible.

The emotional reason: I may get in trouble for this one. But the master program students at my school have a few bright spots, but there are many inferior students who I would not trust to treat anyone in my family. The masters program students I know from all other schools are, again, with a few bright spots. But those bright spots tend to be the people who did a MPH or a "real" masters because they felt very strongly about public health/their degree. The ones who did it more as an application adjunct are overwhelmingly people who scare me when I have casual conversations about research or pathology with them because of their lack of knowledge or vastly incorrect knowledge base (Despite being in med school). And the scariest thing of all? I just found out that one of the biggest *****s in my undergrad just got into columbia's pre-med masters program. I am extremely scared for the people he will one day treat if he can swing that into a school acceptance. I think very poorly of masters of science students.

With that said. Perhaps all of my experience is a poor sample size. Or biased. Or I'm plain wrong. I am not afraid to admit that I could be so incorrect on this. But from what I've seen, I think the masters->med school route is viable for very few people and deeply troubling for most.

2) if you had to do t all over again, would you go to DO school or sit out a year and shoot for MD? My gpa is not competative, and I can either retake classes for DO school, or look into SMPs, and I would like to know what drove you down the DO path.

I chose DO in a place i wanted to be over MD in places i didnt want to be. So I had that choice. If it were in an area I wanted to be for both, I'd choose MD. It just gives you more opportunities. Ironically, I'd actually have less, but I'm an odd case (since I'm a low level AUA candidate for urology, but a good AOA candidate). I'd say for most people what you should do is first and foremost think about how important is it for you to be done immediately as possible. Because nothing short of "accept whatever comes" can get you a year of your life back. Make sure you're okay with the year off from a life-planning POV. After that you should probably think about what you want to do. You'll probably be totally wrong, but its worth stopping and thinking. If you want to do IM, FM, peds or gen surg off the bat and you know thats what you want, there is no reason to sit it out a year. There are tons of great programs in the AOA end (which will be acgme by the time you graduate) to assure you that you'll get a good education. And then if you really excell you can gun for the ACGME ones. If you think there is a good chance you want a specialty, then I would say to at least strongly consider working for an MD acceptance. There are plenty of opportunities for DOs to do specialties, but it is more performance limited. You dont want to sit around and regret not doing more to buff up your resume if you're at ABC-COM and have a 220 USMLE and 500 comlex (aka average) and suddenly realize you dont have the points for these competitive specialties. MD gives you a nice cushion of "well then do a crap ton of research" and that research is at your fingertips... its harder with DOs. It really is. There is less research out there and you have to find it/create it rather than having docs beating down the doors to find students to help them.

3) Are average DO students really doomed to PCP, or can they realistically land surgical specialties?

You can land surgical specialties. I know plenty of "average" DOs who matched into great programs and fields. You just need to want it bad enough. If your grades are there, good youre all set. If they're not, you have to have the drive to compensate for that and it does take a lot. But it takes a lot no matter what degree your getting. The 220 USMLE student is gonna be up the same **** creek no matter their degree if they wanted ortho.

4) How are you managing your debt and how much in debt are you? What is your total cost of going to school? how much debt will you have by the time you graduate and how are u gonna pay it off?

As said before. $200K. And I augment my debt by prostitution on the upper east side for all the blue haired jewish ladies. I'm a mensch.

5) If you were a dinosaur, which one would you be and why?

ankylosaurus, cause if I'm gonna be a dinosaur I'm going to be the spawn of an Abrahms Tank and a medieval mace

http://dinosauria.tripod.com/ankylosaurus.jpg

6) Was your GPA ever brought up in interview?

Oh only on every single MD interview. At the university of vermont I became so fed up with the question that when I was asked I kindly explained that I would make an excellent physician assuming I didnt enter radiology and was never told my patient fell out of a window and asked to calculate the exact moment they would die given the wind resistance local geothermal air updrafts.

The doctor laughed so hard and for so long he promised to fight for me to be accepted. I was waitlisted. I actually hung on to the letter he sent me, personally, afterwards where he apologized for not convincing them to accept me. Given the interviewer is quite the famous urologist, i think I may try to remind him of that letter soon on my interview trail in vermont.

7) Did you ever consider dentistry or other healthcare fields? If so, why not pursue those?

No. Never even gave it a thought.

8) Do you see DO discrimination in the workforce? Is it really the scarlet letters that people make it out to be?

It's not. There are a few isolated programs that wont consider you (wont dowload your application off of ERAS). But for the most part it is identical to being from Meharry College (a historically black medical school, but also a good example of a generic low-level MD school). You're coming from a low level medical school. With all things being equal, where you went to school mattered. It makes no sense, but the columbia student with the 235 will rank higher than the NY state school student with the 240 who will rank higher than the NYCOM student with the 245. These are decently different scores, but not dramatically different. But the name value of the school is a big measurement (And some programs actually list it as their #1 criteria and board score as #2) and you should consider DO schools to be at or slightly below low level MD schools. If you look at it that way, suddenly this entire bias is basically erased.

Low level MD schools have the same bias vs higher level. and mid-levels have the same bias vs elite schools. It's the way of life, its not a DO thing (in most cases).

When are they going to get rid of COCA? At least put it under LCME??

Not in either of our lifetimes. That sort of change is decades away. Sorry. But thats just pragmatic. I think it will happen, but it will happen sometime around when my children will be contemplating if they want a career in medicine.

I have a secondary done at TouroNY and I'm hoping they offer me an interview. How do you feel about it in general?

Really loved the school. Were there thing that could have gone better? yes. But the school was extremely receptive to any requests and criticism assuming you knew how to phrase it appropriately. You can go through my old post history and you probably wont see a more happy student with their choice than I was with mine. It gave me every opportunity to succeed. Also it gave me a structured educational environment. The school allows for independent education, and has really moved towards that over the years, but it is still a more structured education than most schools. I loved it because it gave me a rigid schedule to follow and embed study time into. Others hated it because they felt they were more efficient on their own. <shrug> to each their own. As long as a handfull of people showed up to lectures no one in the administration made a big deal about the number of people who studied on their own, as long as they didnt skip out on guest lecturers.

I was wondering if you could share your experiences about rotations. I understand that the clinical years are incredibly important for landing a good residency, and I would be grateful if you can answer some of my questions.

Were you able to rotate at any hospital you wanted to in your fourth year beyond your assigned core rotation site?

Yea. I rotated anywhere I wanted in my fourth year (And the elective month of my third year). And it was always my first choice place. I've been to Columbia, Wayne State (Detroit Medical Center), Drexel, Westchester Medical Center, North Shore LIJ, and I'm going to West Virginia U soon. Everyone else seems to have the same experience. Rotations are as easy as requesting them, programs are happy to have you.

How easy was it for you to set up a rotation at an institution that did not have a strong relationship with TouroCOM-NY? (For example, if you wanted to rotate at Cleveland Clinic or some other well-regarded program in order to audition for a potential residency position.)

Completely easy. Or as easy as VSAS makes it.

What was that process of setting up a rotation like?

Some places dont use VSAS so you have to scout the internet for their contact info and figure out what they want. Thats a pain, but once you find the website that says what they want, you just get them the stuff and its a go. The school is super responsive on that and I would usually send them an e-mail with a checklist of what i needed and I would get all of the things back in 1 week. VSAS is the big program you use to apply to roughly 50% of the programs out there for electives. VSAS is centralized so you only need to enter your info once (Though it is a massive hassle to enter it the first time) and then you click off programs to apply to and its done. Most of them do require a doctors eval, which can be a real pain in the butt if you dont have a local doctor who is willing to constantly sign off paperwork for you. But as long as you have someone to sign the medical clearance paperwork for you, applications through VSAS is one annoying hassle to first fill out the info, then as easy as clicking where you want to go for rotations, faxing your PCP the health form and waiting for the response.

Did you encounter any DO biases while rotating at an allopathic institution, and if so, were they from other students, staff, or attendings?

Nope. No bias. Ran into a few doctors who were excited to have DO students because they had a chronic pain patient or an acute sprain injury patient and wanted me to go and do some OMM magic so they didnt have to prescribe as much/any narcotics. But never anyone who has said or indicated any negative feelings or assumptions.

Do you have any tips that you could share about how to rotate successfully? (Like things to keep in mind or obstacles to overcome?) Any experiences are welcome! :D

Read all the time. ALL THE TIME. If you want to be a good student (lets say you're not gunning for the given field) read the handbooks available for that field. If you dont own them, you will almost certainly have access to accessmedicine and accesssurgery, which are programs almost every school offers and its online textbooks. If you actually like the program then you should still read those handbooks when you can but you should REALLY focus on reading research. Really know your latest research and understand how to properly interpret it (abstracts are notoriously ****ty, and conclusions for any study of a medication is likely to be ****ty too. So learn to read the results closely and then skim the conclusions to make sure you didnt miss anything).

Why are you sleeping?

Cause its 3am here and there is no excuse to be up that late if I'm not doing an overnight shift or partying.

Seeing as my apartment hasnt floated away yet, I can probably attempt sleep now.

Hey thanks for the offer to help,,,

I have an interview coming up at Touro NY and was wondering if you can suggest to me whether I should go or not. I've already been accepted to CCOM and waiting to hear back from NSU and Western. If I get into either one of those two, I am probably going to decline the acceptance from CCOM since I really don't like the cold even though I think Chicago is awesome and CCOM one of the best. With that said, I always dreamed about living in NYC. I lived there for two summers long time ago and loved it, but just not sure if I want to be there for the whole four years. It's definitely the best city in the world, but I am just not so sure about the quality of life as a medical student (tiny living situation and $$$ and the cold)

Thanks

The relatively small amount of money it would cost to go there and interview is definitely worth it to know concretely where it stands for you. I'd tell you that I think Nova and CCOM are better schools (idk about western. Not knocking it. Just heard everything from rave reviews to viciously negative stuff so I've never known what to make of it). With that said, you have to pick where you will be happy. Where you will be comfortable spending your entire damn life studying. If youre not enjoying the brief little bits of free time you have, you wont have the motivation to throw yourself full force at the studying... and you'll be selling yourself short regardless of which school is "better" because you won't be getting the most out of the education there.

I'd say going there and seeing it is the best way to know just how much your love of NYC (And touro's very pursuasive tour guides, of which I was one of the most energetic) plays into things. But if you really hate the cold, then it won't make a difference. NY gets cold. Chicago gets colder, but NY gets cold. Some people can't do it. I have no clue why. I hate hot weather. I literally cannot live below washington DC. It would be hellish for me.

The relatively small amount of money it would cost to go there and interview is definitely worth it to know concretely where it stands for you. I'd tell you that I think Nova and CCOM are better schools (idk about western. Not knocking it. Just heard everything from rave reviews to viciously negative stuff so I've never known what to make of it). With that said, you have to pick where you will be happy. Where you will be comfortable spending your entire damn life studying. If youre not enjoying the brief little bits of free time you have, you wont have the motivation to throw yourself full force at the studying... and you'll be selling yourself short regardless of which school is "better" because you won't be getting the most out of the education there.

I'd say going there and seeing it is the best way to know just how much your love of NYC (And touro's very pursuasive tour guides, of which I was one of the most energetic) plays into things. But if you really hate the cold, then it won't make a difference. NY gets cold. Chicago gets colder, but NY gets cold. Some people can't do it. I have no clue why. I hate hot weather. I literally cannot live below washington DC. It would be hellish for me.

Wow, you are really awesome. You sound like one of the most sane person in this forum. Thanks!

To be honest I'm still wrestling with my choice even though it's already too late and I'm nearly 4/5ths done with the first semester at the DO school.. What did you do to get over your feelings of 'failure', regrets or negativity if you had any? Do you think I made the right choice(honestly)? I'm doing very well in my courses so far but I know that preclinical grades don't matter much. However, lately I keep ruminating over the choice I made and it gets me pretty upset at times so much so that I waste a lot of time and get discouraged from studying because I don't feel that comfortable yet with being a DO especially since I suppose an MD wasn't totally out of reach for me.. What should I do to combat these feelings and to regain my motivation and positive outlook on my education/career?

You accept it after a while. You never stop wondering "what if". But those thoughts become less and less prevalent only showing up when you are at your most stressed.... like interview season for me. You have to look at the decisions you had to face. You had two legit options. You chose to take on less debt and move your life forwards a year faster rather than gamble on a shinier degree. Frankly I think you made the right choice, but my strong disdain for masters degrees is known.

The real question is do you think being a DO will stop you from doing what you want to do? What do you think your field that will make you happiest is. If its something mainstream, then its not an issue at all. Thats not a "DOs do primary care" thing, thats a "AOA has a crap top of these primary care fields under their umbrella" so the number of available slots (when acgme is added in) is so large that acquiring a good program is an almost certainty if you have half way decent scores.

If you want to do something competitive, its as I said before. Being a DO doesn't all all limit you. But you have to actually full on earn the qualifications then, because you wont have the "name brand school" going for you, and you won't have tons of research opportunities beating down your door. You'll need to earn the scores off of the bat, or seek out experience in the field to distinguish yourself. That's nothing unique or arduous... its just common sense. In this case I don't think DO limited you either, but it made the pressure harder if your heart is set on it.

I know you've been addressing this indirectly ad nauseam in various threads but do you think that the merging of the residencies and impending ACGME certification for all AOA residencies might lessen the stigma more and could potentially lead to a blending/unification of the degrees?

lessened stigma? The stigma is less than you'd think. But yea, it will further lessen it just by showing that all of these programs that historically only took DOs, that accepted the huge brunt of the DO education... well nearly all of them will meet ACGME standards. Something everyone on this board always said, but we've never had to prove til now. Proving it will make those programs show they are good, and will make all the students they always trained also look just as good.

As for blending/unification... that is a LONG way off still. Decades.

Why are DOs only recognized as physicians with full practice rights in 45-50 other countries? I know that it has somewhat to do with the fact that in other countries their own 'osteopaths' are limited to manual manipulation but it shouldn't be too hard to prove that American DOs are physicians with the same knowledge, skills, and residency training as their MD counterparts. I know there's a very miniscule chance that I would ever plan to practice overseas but it still bugs me that having a DO degree could limit you if you wanted to practice internationally in certain countries. Do you know if the AOA is doing anything about this and whether the speed with which other countries are recognizing the DO degree will increase at a faster rate than it has been?

I'm gonna address this very quickly on two points. One well recognized, one under-recognized. 1) there is a DO degree in other countried (Especially western europe and australia) but it is a manipulation-only degree. Their local DO degree is an offshoot of the american education and it never strove to embrace full health treatment or pharmacology. It is inherantly different, but because the degree is named the same these countries often have red tape to swap your degree to a MD-equivalent or to differentiate you from the local DOs.

2) Everyone seems to forget that the US DO degree is accepted in 40-50 counties, but the US MD degree is only accepted in 50-60 countries. Pretty much any country you could want to practice in, minus spain and france, has the same recognition for both degrees. the ~100 or so countries that dont recognize the DO degree are overwhelmingly countries that dont allow carte blanche practice rights to any american physicians regardless of degree. The MD degree is not universal.

http://whatshouldwecalldoschool.tumblr.com/ is never updated, but was pretty funny.

http://whatshouldwecallmedschool.tumblr.com/ is updated a ton and I love it.

howdoiputthisgently.tumblr.com is better than whatshouldwecallme and is updated nonstop.

http://casualnewyork.tumblr.com/ has a special place in my heart.

Love the first two, follow them religiously.

The curriculum at TouroNY sounds pretty on my level. As much as I hate to admit it, some structured studying time would do me good. Once I get in the zone, I'm golden. It's getting started that I struggled with as an undergrad.

What have you seen on your rotations namely

1 - The grossest thing?

2 - The stupidest thing or mistake?

3 - The douchiest person?

4 - The worst pimping?

What is your estimate of the percentage of bovine matter on SDN?

Last edited:
Is it true that the first offer goes to the Dean's daughter's boyfriend?

Have you seen anyone who shouldn't have been admitted to med school?

Do you think Sandy was a real bitch or was she overhyped because the media thinks NYC is the center of the universe?

Why are so many rich doctors against Obamacare?

Did they lie through their teeth on their PS when they wrote about wanting to help the underserved and all that good stuff?

How many Acgme urology invites have you gotten?

any hotties in med school?

I have a theory maybe you all wont like, but I'll answer honestly anyway. There are plenty of hotties in medical school, but they will all enter the school taken from day one almost without exception. They will never break up with their boyfriends/fiancees/husbands. I'm sure it happens, but its like a unicorn sighting. There are tons of regular girls in medical school too, but after a million hours of studying they will look like hotties. Study goggles. Generally speaking guys, unless you can find a unicorn, dont date within your med school because it can get really really complicated when it (usually) goes bad.

As for men.... its even funnier. It doesn't matter how men enter medical school. They will all either be single or completely 100% locked up within the first two months. I can tell you that every guy in my class who was dating someone either got engaged/married or broke up within the first 60 days (or had their gf pull a power move and more or less guarantee marriage).

Dating in medical school is difficult. But when it happens you do get to say "I'm gonna be a doctor". It works. A lot.

do you like bacon?

A picture of me on friday night.
EMT002.jpg

so yes. very much so.

how many apples can a giraffe grow on mars?

Trick question. A giraffe would never grow apples. Apples are the fruit of the bourgeois and giraffe kind have seen the great filth of the capitalist exploitation and now choose to grow pears. Pears for everyone all the time. Pears for the martian premiere for the glory of soviet mars.

giraffe.JPG

oh and 16 per season per giraffe. Turns out growing pears is difficult on mars and giraffes are really terrible farmers.

[/quote]Biggie VS Tupac?[/QUOTE]

Mase.

What have you seen on your rotations namely

1 - The grossest thing?

Child birth. Hands down. Child birth is absolutely revolting and if it doesn't traumatize you for life, congrats on your new residency in Obstetrics.

2 - The stupidest thing or mistake?

The persistence of some completely incorrect ideas. Like the continued belief that penicillin and cephalosporins have an allergic cross creativity despite years of research showing either no link in extensive studies, or a casual/weak link in poorly designed studies and basic science evidence that our previous "mechanism of allergy" we thought they shared is impossible to be true. People get drugs that cause huge amount of morbidity rather than get a cephalosporin that would 1) work much better 2) cause many fewer side effects and 3) be infinitely cheaper.

Also I once personally orchiopexed (tied down a testicle) on the wrong side. Technically it wasnt a big deal because you always orchiopex bilaterally. But myself and the surgeon both felt really stupid when we pinned down the righty and then realized there was no lefty, but there was a second "righty". Oops. We corrected that without issue, but it was a pretty funny mistake for the few minutes we were pondering what was going on intraoperatively.

3 - The douchiest person?

Generally speaking the douchiest person is any medical student who has an uncle as a program director or core faculty of a residency program. In my experience I've only run into these kids when they end up in offshore schools. I get a feeling that I've run into many of them from MD schools and never noticed because they weren't a douche about it. But the ones from SGU or Ross who have that connection just wanted to remind me of it on a nearly daily basis. It was douchtacular. IDK if its an offshore thing though, it may have just been my experience.

4 - The worst pimping?

Urology. My attending once had me come over and help him run his clinic. Just myself and him. He would occasionally ask me treatment questions right infront of the patient. So I would be under huge pressure to be right. Then when it was all over he just sat me down and has he did his last few charting details he would ask me questions of increasing difficulty and which were increasingly esoteric for each one i got right until i felt like a total ***** for not knowing "name 4 unpaired urologic organs or landmarks in the body that begin with the letter U".

What is your estimate of the percentage of bovine matter on SDN?

shockingly bull feces is primarily gut bacteria and dietary fiber. The bovine matter content of that material is shockingly low considering the expected cell sloughage rate of the GI system.

Is it true that the first offer goes to the Dean's daughter's boyfriend?

Yes. But he has to propose first.

Have you seen anyone who shouldn't have been admitted to med school?

COMPLETELY. And they terrify me. Sometimes its the masters students (See my earlier comments to understand my concerns over some of them). Sometimes its nepotism or a rich parent pushing the person through. Sometimes its both. When it takes both, thats when I get really nervous. I've seen both in one person.

Do you think Sandy was a real bitch or was she overhyped because the media thinks NYC is the center of the universe?

She was a massive bitch. And terrible with virginity. Thank god NYC is the Danny Zuko of the world and he seduced that little doe eyed <insert negative term for olivia newton john here> and then left her for the summer to never call her back.

And yes. NYC is the center of the universe. The media has it right. But the southern half of NYC and eastern half of Jersey are honestly under 3-4 feet of water right now and sections of our subway system are now scuba dive sites. It was a real thing.

Why are so many rich doctors against Obamacare?

I discuss this every day. I think the best way to understand it is to look at the current discussion of the AOA/ACGME merger on the DO student forum. Look at the number of people who are looking at every single word and picking it apart to absurd levels to try to find any way that the wording could lead to absolutely terrible results and the enslavement of all DOs and destruction of osteopathic education. People who will quote things out of context, "accidentally" pick synonyms with more nefarious implied meaning, or plain out fill the knowledge void with worst case scenarios. This is the society that medicine somehow selects for. As a group we have a huge contingent (but its still narrowly a minority) who are deathly afraid of and passionately opposed to any change. They believe any change will lead to the downfall of medicine as they understand it, and if they are just getting grip on how to game the current system, why would they encourage a new system that they wont realize how to manipulate in their favor for a few years?

Doctors have opposed every change to medicine since the 1950s. This is the very first time I can think of where doctors, as a majority, support a massive change in medico-legal politics. You will always hear the fearmongers the loudest, because supporters dont have the free time to devote away from medicine to support it vocally, but detractors believe it will cost them money so they feel detracting from practice time to voice their opinion against it is justified if they prevent it. But every poll with good power of physicians show they support this as a majority. And the AMA, say what you will about it, supports this. Though I now spend almost all of my time in the AMA shooting down internal resolutions from various sects that want to remove AMA approval or massively modify AMA approval. They never pass, but they are always closer than they should be.

Did they lie through their teeth on their PS when they wrote about wanting to help the underserved and all that good stuff?

For the most part yes.

NYC is the center of the universe. Data from Hubble confirms it.

see. More proof of NYCs dominance.

How many Acgme urology invites have you gotten?

2 so far. But havent gotten a ton of rejections either. So I'm sitting here sort of quietly nervous haha.

DocE I am intrigued at your assessment that the vast majority of both MD and DO students went to undergrad at big-name schools. I say this because I went to a relatively unknown undergrad, and at my interview at AZCOM there were people from schools as disparate as Utah Valley University and Berkeley.

To be specific, do you think the fact that most students from big name schools is a result of
both MD schools and DO schools preferring students from big universities?

Or... is it a result of self-selection? (Most people who are talented or hard-working or stubborn enough to get into med school were able to get into good universities out of high school?)

Do you think it's more pronounced at MD schools vs. DO schools (that would seem to be the case for pre-meds at my undergrad- the vast majority of us end up at DO schools.)

Do you think it's more pronounced in the east coast? (I've lived in the western US my whole life.)

What was the quality of life like as a medical student in NYC? Please get as broad or as specific as you want. Thanks

DocE I am intrigued at your assessment that the vast majority of both MD and DO students went to undergrad at big-name schools. I say this because I went to a relatively unknown undergrad, and at my interview at AZCOM there were people from schools as disparate as Utah Valley University and Berkeley.

To be specific, do you think the fact that most students from big name schools is a result of

Or... is it a result of self-selection? (Most people who are talented or hard-working or stubborn enough to get into med school were able to get into good universities out of high school?)

Do you think it's more pronounced at MD schools vs. DO schools (that would seem to be the case for pre-meds at my undergrad- the vast majority of us end up at DO schools.)

Do you think it's more pronounced in the east coast? (I've lived in the western US my whole life.)

I went to UVU and got accepted at 5 schools out of 7 interviews I attended. Guess I went to a school that was "beneath me". lol

I think both prefer. Where you came from definitely plays into things, more so than I expected. I think it can definitely be both, but that the name does sell yourself more. Because I know plenty of students who had stellar MCAT scores from mid level places who didnt place as high as mediocre MCAT scores from big name schools. This little nugget of info is probably outdated now, but when i was in undergrad getting a 30 with a 3.5 GPA was "you will have choices among north east schools". That was the national dictum on it. But it was really a dictum meant for top level schools as that clearly didnt apply to mid-level schools given the interviews and acceptances my friends (a few of which also had 34s, it was a common score at my school) received.

I think it both more pronounced in MD schools, more or less because they get first pick so they can select the 30 from NYU over the 32 from western mountain state and call it a wash. The people who are still highly qualified but got repeatedly selected against for whatever reason (school can be one of the reasons) end up in the DO pool. The east coast is the best example of this because NY alone represents 10% of all the medical students in america and states on the atlantic seaboard (plus poor vermont) probably represent >50% of all medical students. If california didnt exist, the east coast would probably represent all of the top 20 medical schools (sorry chicago and detroit). So the competition here is tougher than anywhere else. That plays into it.

What was the quality of life like as a medical student in NYC? Please get as broad or as specific as you want. Thanks

Monday: Wake up at 7am, study til 10 or 11pm
Tuesday: wake up at 7am, study til 10 or 11pm
Wednesday: wake up at 7am, study til 10 or 11 pm
Thursday: wake up at 7am, study til 10 or 11pm
Friday: Wake up at 7am, at noon I declare myself a free man and do whatever the heck I want and party til 3 or 4am. Sometimes 6am
Saturday: Wake up sometime around 1pm, lethargically schlub around until about 4. Study until 10 or 11pm
Sunday: wake up at 10am. Study until 10 or 11pm. Though with football on in the backgrounds.

I will say that on weekends that you have absolutely off. Like the weekend immediately following a test and with the next one still 2-3 weeks away you can get away with a full weekend of relaxation, but only if you stuck to the hardcore weekday study plan.

Also you can study anywhere... and often will. I've been to tons of libraries. Studies in museums. Trespassed in lincoln center and studied in the Met. I've used every single whole foods in manhattan as my personal study space. And study breaks have included pick up basketball games at morningside and (one time) rucker park. There are nice little fringe benefits to studying so hard in manhattan.

plus every place on earth delivers.

I wanna hear more about your theories on dating in medical school. Do people really start dating their classmates or do people get to meet other people who aren't in their immediate circle?

Also, is applying to residencies like medical school applications part II?

Do you think there's an advantage to the different teaching approaches- PBL, systems-based learning, or traditional lecture- for the pre-clinical years or is that just crap that schools use to sell their program's curriculum?

I wanna hear more about your theories on dating in medical school. Do people really start dating their classmates or do people get to meet other people who aren't in their immediate circle?

Well the first trends, and i will repeat them are these. 1) Taken girls stay taken indefinitely. 2) Single women become a wildcard, but generally remain single. 3) All guys regardless of how they enter, either become single or totally taken within 60 days of school starting, a "dating" medical student is like a unicorn. At least for a while, things get easier in later semesters.

Remember how in college your RA/CA/upper classmen told you that "floorcest" is bad. That you really should avoid hooking up with or dating people on your floor at all costs. Yea. Still holds true. The single guys all get drunk and hook up with the single women in the class. Hook ups happen. Everyone finds out. We all gossip and ideally we all quickly forget and never talk of it again. Inter-class dating has never ended well but also occasionally happens. I always hear an anecdote of meeting in medical school and getting married, but I've never actually met a person who can actually name a couple this has happened to. (not that i doubt it, but these things are surprisingly uncommon).

Now as for dating outside of medical school. Its shockingly uncommon too, but it occurs. Its just hard. You tend to lose social skills due to the isolation of all the time spent studying with people studying the same archaiac medicine facts. Add to that how medicine is unbelievably time consuming and so is starting a relationship. Also when you go out, you tend to go out in giant packs of medical students where you are both self-contained within your pocket of friends (so the urge to find people is lower) and frakly that giant gaggle of students is intimidating to onlookers and they don't want to encroach on it, as I've been told many times by people i briefly dated haha.

Now dating is entirely possible. I've had two decently long term relationships in medical school with people I've met along the line. But both of those situations were unique because I was at a point in my education where I had a very easy month so I could actually punch out dates and not miss out on a ton of studying. Also they were both deep into my education so I was already extremely "time efficient" with my studying. The nice part of dating like this? I dont have to play games and appear busy. I really am busy and might not get back to you for a day or two just because I couldnt spare the time for a phone call and felt that sending a one sentence text would be rude, so i just waited til i had a few free minutes a day or two later. The downside of dating in medical school? Most people will think that is intriguing at first, but when they realize you will always be like that and its not 'a game' they will become very very concerned about how much time you will be able to spend with them.

Also, is applying to residencies like medical school applications part II?

Like it but 10-100x more stressful because even the "escape valves" , e.g. masters degree or research in pre-meds, are linked into the match in residency. So you need to pre-plan your back up plans and actively anticipate failure. It's very mentally taxing.

Do you think there's an advantage to the different teaching approaches- PBL, systems-based learning, or traditional lecture- for the pre-clinical years or is that just crap that schools use to sell their program's curriculum?

I think its *mostly* nonsense made up by schools to sell themselves. Nonsense that pre-meds gobble up like chocolate flavored heroin. There are educational research studies that say these PBL and open style classes work better. There are *medical* educational research studies which say that is a total crock of **** and that the general educational research doesnt carry over to medical educational research at all.

The one exception is pass/fail. That has shown to have zero impact on grades or student residency placement but have a massive impact on student happiness. So schools should be pushed to move to pass/fail systems.

Could you please expand on the residency application? I know we need a CV to apply; I've had one for a few years (research jobs), but how does this CV differ?

Thanks for all the awesome info!

Like it but 10-100x more stressful because even the "escape valves" , e.g. masters degree or research in pre-meds, are linked into the match in residency. So you need to pre-plan your back up plans and actively anticipate failure. It's very mentally taxing.

do you mean the residency director look at your pre-med research?

Thanks for doing this, Doc. :)

My question: what should be given serious consideration (or what criteria are crucial) when deciding which school to attend after multiple acceptances? I know you kind of touched on your own reasons, but I'd love a "general guide" lol

Hey doc,

So you took the USMLE and COMLEX right? Other than OMM, how similar were the tests? How did you prepare? Did you do individual prep for both tests or did studying for the COMLEX alone prepare you for the USMLE? Thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks for these, and your other answers here on SDN. You provide a great moderate, mature voice that I enjoy reading!

Good luck with your current pursuits my man:thumbup:

Could you please expand on the residency application? I know we need a CV to apply; I've had one for a few years (research jobs), but how does this CV differ?

Thanks for all the awesome info!

It is systematic analysis of every thing you have ever done since (roughly) enrolling into medical school. And they have their own ways of categorizing everything, so you have to find ways to fit your experiences into their categories. It probably takes about 3-4 hours to fill out if you have a really good CV already on hand. And takes probably 3-4 days if you don't.

Its just very extensive.

do you mean the residency director look at your pre-med research?

Not really. I meant that when you apply to medical school... what happens if you dont get accepted anywhere. You do research or you do a masters program. You get a job in pharm for a year. All things you can do once you realize youre not matching anywhere.

In the residency application system what do you do if you don't match? Curl into a ball and cry mostly. Watch the debt acccumulate. The "other options" of transitional years or prelim years are built into the match. You have to pre-plan for them because by the time you realize you might not match (february, march) you realize the deadline for applying to these programs was october or november and you are reliant on being the best applicant for the scraps that are left over, which go very very very quickly.

So its extra nerve wracking because the fall backs are built into the system too. There really arent any viable options outside of matching. If you don't match (and dont scramble successfully) you're screwed big time.

Not really. I meant that when you apply to medical school... what happens if you dont get accepted anywhere. You do research or you do a masters program. You get a job in pharm for a year. All things you can do once you realize youre not matching anywhere.

In the residency application system what do you do if you don't match? Curl into a ball and cry mostly. Watch the debt acccumulate. The "other options" of transitional years or prelim years are built into the match. You have to pre-plan for them because by the time you realize you might not match (february, march) you realize the deadline for applying to these programs was october or november and you are reliant on being the best applicant for the scraps that are left over, which go very very very quickly.

So its extra nerve wracking because the fall backs are built into the system too. There really arent any viable options outside of matching. If you don't match (and dont scramble successfully) you're screwed big time.

you are really nice, i like you

why did you change your picture thing?

Because I usually have my bull icon up but I play a lot of werewolf on other forums and part of that is having a themed icon. I've been playing so many that i figured I'd just toss a placeholder up for a bit to try a new look out before I go and have another WW game and change it again.

I lost cable (and thus internet) a few minutes ago. I'm not gonna answer complex ones from my phone cause typing on here is annoying. I'll get to them when the cable comes back. Soon hopefully.

Does knowning all the muscles, ligaments, bones, insertions, actions, origins,innervations and anatomical stuff pre med school give you an advantage during the first semester?