Is it weird that I haven't heard anything from DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Desperatefuturedr

Reaction score
I know my stats are on the lower end but it seems weird that I haven't heard anything. Not even a rejection letter. My stats are cgpa: 3.1, sgpa: 2.9, SMP: 3.7 and Mcat of 499. I have a ton of clinical hours (been a CNA for 3 years), did some research during my gap year, and also many hours of volunteering( volunteered in 2 hospitals and mentored with 2 organizations). With my MCAT being so low was hoping for a miracle with osteopathic schools. I applied in July and received secondary from all the schools I applied to. I finished them in the middle of August. I was advised by my pre-med adviser that I should apply anyway with my score. My activities and personal statement were read by multiple people including an admission person from one of the schools I applied to. So am thinking maybe it was my secondaries. I didn't have anyone to read it for me but I made sure to include examples of things I have done. Anyway, is it strange that I haven't received anything including a rejection letter? I reached out to the first school I applied to and they said that my application is still in review and a decision has not been made. Its just worrying to see people that applied later being accepted. Sorry for this being so long but I feel like no one in my life understands what I going through. I'm tired of being asked if I got into medical school. Im mentally preparing myself to reapply. Thank you if you read this whole thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP should most def have DO interviews tho, similar stats here but a 498 MCAT and I got 4 interviews and 1 A, how's your activities?

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely think you should've applied less MD and more DO. For reference, I still have yet to hear from 13 DO schools and the 3 MD that I've applied to. No luck with MDs for me, but I've heard at least something from a lot of the DO schools. I would say it could be a bit strange that you haven't received anything yet unless the schools you applied to are acting slow/ghost. That's just my opinion.

Unfortunately, unless they’re something else unusual/exceptional in your application, with that GPA and MCAT you’re practically making charitable donations at those 15 MD schools…

Some DO schools may consider that MCAT, but it’s still below average at nearly every one of them as far as I know…

If you can get that MCAT up your SMP gpa might make a competitive reapplication at DO programs.
LOL I got FAP so I thought I might try my luck

Did you apply to new DO schools? Some schools like Midwestern, Touro, and Western seem to care about the MCAT a lot and probably won't give you a look. You might have luck with the schools that haven't graduated a class and maybe ones close to where you live. Some schools have a minimum MCAT of 500 so make sure to double-check before adding schools. If you wrote about wanting to do primary care and maybe have some cool rural experiences you might match lot of mission statements. VCOM AL, VCOM LA, Lincoln, Oklahoma State (only if you are a resident there), RVUCOM, Incarnate Word, and West Virginia are some of the schools that have lower MCAT averages according to Choose DO Explorer. I feel like some of the MCAT numbers don't seem right, but that's what it says.
Lincoln 500
VCOM LA 501
VCOM AL 502

OP should most def have DO interviews tho, similar stats here but a 498 MCAT and I got 4 interviews and 1 A, how's your activities?
I think my activities are fine. It is about 250 hours of research, 2500+ clinical hours, 200 clinical volunteering, 150 nonclinical volunteering/leadership hours, and a poster presentation

Did you apply to new DO schools? Some schools like Midwestern, Touro, and Western seem to care about the MCAT a lot and probably won't give you a look. You might have luck with the schools that haven't graduated a class and maybe ones close to where you live. Some schools have a minimum MCAT of 500 so make sure to double-check before adding schools. If you wrote about wanting to do primary care and maybe have some cool rural experiences you might match lot of mission statements. VCOM AL, VCOM LA, Lincoln, Oklahoma State (only if you are a resident there), RVUCOM, Incarnate Word, and West Virginia are some of the schools that have lower MCAT averages according to Choose DO Explorer. I feel like some of the MCAT numbers don't seem right, but that's what it says.
Lincoln 500
VCOM LA 501
VCOM AL 502
yeah I applied to most of the DO schools without a 500 minimum. From your list, I applied to all but Vcom and Oklahoma. I knew better than to apply for midwestern even though it was in-state.

I think my activities are fine. It is about 250 hours of research, 2500+ clinical hours, 200 clinical volunteering, 150 nonclinical volunteering/leadership hours, and a poster presentation
Those are honestly probably better activities than mine. After December 14 a lot of people will drop their acceptances and you might get some. You might also have luck with LECOM if you have a high SAT or ACT score. If you don't hear anything by December maybe start planning to retake the MCAT. If you increase your MCAT by a few points a lot of doors should open. I'm sure you are going to be a fantastic Dr. Try to keep your head up, you got this! A lot of people on SDN seem to get accepted in spring and quite a few just a few months before class starts.

You may be on an unofficial “interview hold” by schools to see if there are people more competitive they want to interview before they consider you.

On the flip side, you may be being screened out/silent R’d due to stats. If you don’t hear back by spring from schools I would gear up for an MCAT retake

Members don't see this ad :)
KCOM, LECOM, UNE, NYITCOM, LMU-DCOM, ACOM, RowanSOM, MUSOM, WVSOM, Burrell, OU-HCOM, UIWSOM, Rocky Vista
and all 3 PCOM
I suggest adding more schools this week to increase your chances for interviews. With your stats you could add these:
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
LUCOM
UP-KYCOM
ICOM
Noorda-COM
KHSC-COM
Touro-Montana

I suggest adding more schools this week to increase your chances for interviews. With your stats you could add these:
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
LUCOM
UP-KYCOM
ICOM
Noorda-COM
KHSC-COM
Touro-Montana
Thank you for replying! I added more schools but some of the schools on your list have a 500 MCAT minimum.

I have the same MCAT 498. I still have not received any invite; however I finished submitting secondaries on September because I was waiting for that updated mcat score. I hope I still have a chance. Thank you...

Sorry by complete I mean my primary was sent in mid July haha, I completed secondaries as they came within 14 days @music-med doesn’t seem to look like my comment from this thread however

I know my stats are on the lower end but it seems weird that I haven't heard anything. Not even a rejection letter. My stats are cgpa: 3.1, sgpa: 2.9, SMP: 3.7 and Mcat of 499. I have a ton of clinical hours (been a CNA for 3 years), did some research during my gap year, and also many hours of volunteering( volunteered in 2 hospitals and mentored with 2 organizations). With my MCAT being so low was hoping for a miracle with osteopathic schools. I applied in July and received secondary from all the schools I applied to. I finished them in the middle of August. I was advised by my pre-med adviser that I should apply anyway with my score. My activities and personal statement were read by multiple people including an admission person from one of the schools I applied to. So am thinking maybe it was my secondaries. I didn't have anyone to read it for me but I made sure to include examples of things I have done. Anyway, is it strange that I haven't received anything including a rejection letter? I reached out to the first school I applied to and they said that my application is still in review and a decision has not been made. Its just worrying to see people that applied later being accepted. Sorry for this being so long but I feel like no one in my life understands what I going through. I'm tired of being asked if I got into medical school. Im mentally preparing myself to reapply. Thank you if you read this whole
If you take a hard look at your numbers, you're a candidate for podiatry school. Given the correlation between MCAT scores and the medical licensing exam scores, you'd be in serious danger of never getting by a Step 1 or a COMLEX exam, if you actually got into med school. On the other hand, you would be a middle of the pack applicant to podiatry school and would probably get licensed provided you were enthusiastic about being a podiatrist. Podiatry might not be the most glamorous career path, but podiatrists render a valuable service and make a pretty good living. Check out the BLS data. You will also find below the average GPA and MCAT scores for podiatry matriculants over the past five years.

No, I'm not a pod school admissions counselor.

I understand that there are now more seats available at pod schools than there are applicants. Furthermore, there are more residency slots available than pod school graduates. Try shadowing a podiatrist at a hospital or a thriving podiatry practice. You might be surprised.