You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Ask Doctor Strange anything 2.0
Started by Doctor Strange
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It's manageable. Your schedule will vary from program to program, and your daily schedule will vary from month to month. On medicine floors, I'm usually in at around 6:30-6:45AM to get sign-out from the night team (7AM is the latest you can come in) and on a non-call day will sign-out at 5PM. Call days on the floors are Q4 and last until 9PM. In the MICU, my program does the 28 hours call (also Q4). It sucks and will always suck. Then there's elective time and other stuff like ER and night float which have varying schedules.Is your schedule as a resident as intense as people make it out to be or do you find it pretty reasonable and manageable?
All-in-all, expect to work harder and longer as an intern. On an average floor month, I am working maybe 60-70 hours a week and on MICU approach 70-80 hours.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How's that stipend treating you? Do you feel like you have enough money to live a little more comfortably than in med school? If you don't mind me asking... what do you take home per month after taxes and everything? It would be nice to know what sort of budget I'm looking at going into residency. I'm living off 1400/month now and its a bit rough (in a city where the median cost of a 1 bedroom apartment goes for 1400/month).
Also, do you and your partner file taxes jointly or separately?
Also, do you and your partner file taxes jointly or separately?
How are you dealing with marriage life as a resident / in medicine etc? Is your partner in medicine too?
Stipend is okay. We live fairly comfortably with our two cats. My take-home is approximately $2600 a month. It helps that my husband makes about the same that I make, so overall it's not a bad situation at all. We're living in a two bedroom apartment in a fairly nice part of the city and paying $1800 a month. We're filing separately this year since I'm doing PAYE.How's that stipend treating you? Do you feel like you have enough money to live a little more comfortably than in med school? If you don't mind me asking... what do you take home per month after taxes and everything? It would be nice to know what sort of budget I'm looking at going into residency. I'm living off 1400/month now and its a bit rough (in a city where the median cost of a 1 bedroom apartment goes for 1400/month).
Also, do you and your partner file taxes jointly or separately?
It wasn't that bad. I lived in Center City and trash day was never terrible.How did you deal with the trash in Philadelphia
My husband is not in medicine, which is nice. Married life during residency is certainly something I have to work hard at. It's very easy to fall into a routine of coming home, cooking dinner, and then doing my own thing or just sitting on the couch, and then going to sleep. I find that we both have to put in an effort to keep things like romance alive. We do movie nights, date nights, etc to keep things fresh.How are you dealing with marriage life as a resident / in medicine etc? Is your partner in medicine too?
No problem, friend. 🙂I just wanna say thanks because you helped me pick out my major like 3 years ago when I was in HS and I'm about to apply to med schools now. Without a doubt one of the best decisions I made in college.
I prefer them not being in medicine. That last thing I want to do when I get home from work is spend hours and hours talking about the hospital (which is what ends up happening when I hang out with my friends who are in medicine). That being said, my husband knew coming into this relationship the time and effort that goes into being a resident, so he was fully prepared for everything.Do you prefer your partner to not be in the same field?
I am about to give a boot to mine because she doesn't understand just how much time I need to dedicate to my work and studies.
Just have a pretty general question as an incoming MS1, anybody can feel free to answer. Ive been reading/hearing a lot about doing away rotations when you become an MS4 and was wondering how that works. Say you wanted to do an away rotation at University X, half way across the country, how do you live in this city for 2-4 weeks (whatever length the roation is)? Do they provide housing or do you have to get an apartment for that short of a time frame?
What are the hours like on ambulatory months?
I have a similar question about away rotations.
I have a profound interest in pediatrics. I also live in Philly (go to school here, one came before the other), so, naturally, I wanna see how to get my foot in the door at CHOP. Are you at all familiar with this?
I have a profound interest in pediatrics. I also live in Philly (go to school here, one came before the other), so, naturally, I wanna see how to get my foot in the door at CHOP. Are you at all familiar with this?
I have a similar question about away rotations.
I have a profound interest in pediatrics. I also live in Philly (go to school here, one came before the other), so, naturally, I wanna see how to get my foot in the door at CHOP. Are you at all familiar with this?
Go to Upenn's dept of pediatrics and see if they offer away rotations for visiting students. I did an away at HUP during my 4th year of med school
Bruce, obviously.And here I was expecting questions regarding the next Avengers movie and if he prefers to hang out with Tony or Bruce
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most information about away rotations can be found on their website. There is a centralized away rotation service called VSAS. Housing is almost always something you have to find for yourself. Stay with a friend or sublet, basically.Just have a pretty general question as an incoming MS1, anybody can feel free to answer. Ive been reading/hearing a lot about doing away rotations when you become an MS4 and was wondering how that works. Say you wanted to do an away rotation at University X, half way across the country, how do you live in this city for 2-4 weeks (whatever length the roation is)? Do they provide housing or do you have to get an apartment for that short of a time frame?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile
Like 9-5 or shorter.What are the hours like on ambulatory months?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile
One week off before PGY-2. Ask me anything, bros.
How did you deal with the trash in Philadelphia
Those are people dammit! They have feelings! They have a family! Oh wait...what were we talking about?
On a more serious note, why did you give the time stone to Thanos? When you went through all of the various scenarios, was giving him the stone the only one that lead to a path of victory? I'm glad you still have internet wherever you disappeared to. Big fan. Cheers.
Tony Stark must survive for us to win. I have faith that he will release us from the confines of the Soul Gem.Those are people dammit! They have feelings! They have a family! Oh wait...what were we talking about?
On a more serious note, why did you give the time stone to Thanos? When you went through all of the various scenarios, was giving him the stone the only one that lead to a path of victory? I'm glad you still have internet wherever you disappeared to. Big fan. Cheers.
Sent from my BND-L34 using SDN mobile
Starting M3 year in a week. What was your experience with your 3rd year rotations? Did you feel burned out at all during the year and/or feel as if you had very little free time? How did you manage your schedule 3rd year with rotations, studying for shelf exams, free time, etc? Thanks for the help
My husband is an M4 currently studying for CK and trying to get his ERAS ready. I'm helping him out with his personal statement and he's having a really difficult time writing it because he wants to write his real feelings about how he was diagnosed with an illness during M2 and that's the bulk of the reason why he's choosing to do what he's applying for, butttt he also doesn't want to say he has an illness in the chances that it'll hinder him as an applicant. I want him to be fully honest and I've firsthand seen him work his a$$ off in school and finding time to be an amazing med student while also going through personal struggles, but would you advise against talking about it?
I don't think burnout was a big issue for me or my classmates during third year, to be honest. Sure, it sucks being the bottom of the totem pole and not knowing anything, but the patient interactions were, for the most part, very rewarding. It's nice to break out of your pre-clinical studies and actually be doing something that you want to be doing. I had a lot more free time during third and fourth year than I did previously. You're not necessarily tied down to a strict study schedule due to a fear of falling behind on lectures. Your time is more freely budgeted. Shelf exams for us were P/F and really didn't calculate that much into our grades, so it wasn't a huge priority to be studying for those.Starting M3 year in a week. What was your experience with your 3rd year rotations? Did you feel burned out at all during the year and/or feel as if you had very little free time? How did you manage your schedule 3rd year with rotations, studying for shelf exams, free time, etc? Thanks for the help
If it's a mental illness, then I would avoid this altogether. No matter what anyone says, mental illness is still stigmatized among the medical community. Otherwise, I think it's okay to mention it, albeit mention it briefly. His personal experience should only be a component of why he wants to go into the field and not the whole reason.My husband is an M4 currently studying for CK and trying to get his ERAS ready. I'm helping him out with his personal statement and he's having a really difficult time writing it because he wants to write his real feelings about how he was diagnosed with an illness during M2 and that's the bulk of the reason why he's choosing to do what he's applying for, butttt he also doesn't want to say he has an illness in the chances that it'll hinder him as an applicant. I want him to be fully honest and I've firsthand seen him work his a$$ off in school and finding time to be an amazing med student while also going through personal struggles, but would you advise against talking about it?
Honestly, it's too late in the cycle for any realistic advice for getting off of the wait list.How do I get off the waitlist at Jefferson?! I'm dying, its my dream school.
Already submitted a letter of intent and an update.
Sent from my BND-L34 using SDN mobile
If it's a mental illness, then I would avoid this altogether. No matter what anyone says, mental illness is still stigmatized among the medical community. Otherwise, I think it's okay to mention it, albeit mention it briefly. His personal experience should only be a component of why he wants to go into the field and not the whole reason.
Thanks for the reply! No, it’s Crohn’s disease and it’s a large reason why he wants to do GI. But I agree, I think it should be okay to mention it briefly. He still thinks it’ll turn people off who think he won’t be fit to do the job.
Honestly, it's too late in the cycle for any realistic advice for getting off of the wait list.
Sent from my BND-L34 using SDN mobile
How about for future hopefuls?
Why did you give Thanos the time stone??!! What did you see in that one future where Thanos is defeated?
Patience.... It's all part of the plan.Why did you give Thanos the time stone??!! What did you see in that one future where Thanos is defeated?
7
762513
How long did you fight Dormamu? How many times did you die?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
About 5000 years. I've died more times than I can count.How long did you fight Dormamu? How many times did you die?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 11
- Views
- 3K
S
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
S