Ask Jalby anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am bored and on a fellowship interview someone mentioned SDN and how he would have liked it if he could have gotten advice from people who have been through it all rather than other random pre-meds who was just spreading other information that they got on SDN as if it was facts about places.

So, if you have any questions, ask them. I finished med school, partway through a radiology residency (410 days left), and am currently applying for fellowship. I was one of the first people on SDN when it was first started (even in the top 10 posters of all time back in the day)

And BTW, I think pre-meds are the worst people on earth and I can be very sarcastic, so don't ask stupid questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Does Step 3 matter at all for fellowship?

I am bored and on a fellowship interview someone mentioned SDN and how he would have liked it if he could have gotten advice from people who have been through it all rather than other random pre-meds who was just spreading other information that they got on SDN as if it was facts about places.

So, if you have any questions, ask them. I finished med school, partway through a radiology residency (410 days left), and am currently applying for fellowship. I was one of the first people on SDN when it was first started (even in the top 10 posters of all time back in the day)

And BTW, I think pre-meds are the worst people on earth and I can be very sarcastic, so don't ask stupid questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many abstracts, pubs, etc. did you have?

How did you decide on radiology?

title: ask anything
thread: don't ask stupid questions

damn i'm confused.

haha, you sound like a ball full of joy.

What do you think is the single post important factor in an application for fellowship? grades(step3,don't know what else)?LORs?connections?diversity of location/applicant?

i sprained my ankle two years ago and managed it conservatively - in the future if i make friends with the folks in the rad cave can i get a free after hours MRI when theres nothing going on just because im curious what it looks like

is that something that can be done without getting in trouble

haha, you sound like a ball full of joy. And BTW, I think pre-meds are the worst people on earth and I can be very sarcastic, so don't ask stupid questions

But it's totally true. Have you read or poster on the pre-allo thread recently?

I can't believe I actually followed advice from that thread back in the day.s

+1

That part of the forum has really degraded

Members don't see this ad :)

thats my point...you were a pre med too. You asked stupid questions too. You probably clung to advice you got on here as well....but now that you are 1-2 years removed from that environment, its "pfff, stupid pre med. Why do you ask such stupid questions."

You can either give advice to those 'stupid' questions knowing that you probably thought the same thing at some point in your life, or you can join the likes of the OP, and ridicule anybody who happened to be born a few years later than you and hence is a few years behind in the same education that you are getting. It doesnt make any sense....except that it gives your ego a nice pat on the back. In additin, if the pre allo forum really gets on your nerves........stop VOLUNTARILY going to it.

thats my point...you were a pre med too. You asked stupid questions too. You probably clung to advice you got on here as well....but now that you are 1-2 years removed from that environment, its "pfff, stupid pre med. Why do you ask such stupid questions."

You can either give advice to those 'stupid' questions knowing that you probably thought the same thing at some point in your life, or you can join the likes of the OP, and ridicule anybody who happened to be born a few years later than you and hence is a few years behind in the same education that you are getting. It doesnt make any sense....except that it gives your ego a nice pat on the back. In additin, if the pre allo forum really gets on your nerves........stop VOLUNTARILY going to it.

There's a big different between asking "stupid" questions because you don't know any better (which is quite forgivable - no one knows everything) and asking "stupid" quesitons to show off, put down someone else down, or to be smartass/troll.

Quite frankly 95% of questions on the pre-allo thread are of the 2nd variety of "stupid" questions. And I honestly have to say that it's gone downhill in the past 3-4 years that 've been checking this forum - I don't remember there being as many trolls and neurotics on the pre-allo thread as there used to be 3 to 4 years ago (Jalby may be able to back me up on this). I'm starting to think that there is backlog of individuals who couldn't get accepted to medical school (and high schooler's pretending to be premeds) who are now doing nothing but trolling the pre-allo boards.

Can we just go back to ignoring pre-allo? That's one of the perks of allo, after all. Looking forward to some of these answers, if we can keep the thread on-topic.

There's a big different between asking "stupid" questions because you don't know any better (which is quite forgivable - no one knows everything) and asking "stupid" quesitons to show off, put down someone else down, or to be smartass/troll.

agreed...

Quite frankly 95% of questions on the pre-allo thread are of the 2nd variety of "stupid" questions. And I honestly have to say that it's gone downhill in the past 3-4 years that 've been checking this forum - I don't remember there being as many trolls and neurotics on the pre-allo thread as there used to be 3 to 4 years ago (Jalby may be able to back me up on this). I'm starting to think that there is backlog of individuals who couldn't get accepted to medical school (and high schooler's pretending to be premeds) who are now doing nothing but trolling the pre-allo boards.

I refer you to the last sentence of my previous post. Its a very simple solution to your problems.

This entire post describes what is wrong with the entire field of medicine :thumbup:

Everyone always forgets where they came from.

Aren't you tired of training yet bro?

You just crushed the hearts of many horny young M1s.

What do you mean? I didn't say that my avatar ISN'T a picture of me. Maybe that really is a picture of Long Dong's tattoo BTW

long dong is that you in the picture?

What do you mean? I didn't say that my avatar ISN'T a picture of me. Maybe that really is a picture of Long Dong's tattoo BTW

Yeap that is really me in my avatar from the back. Here is the front view.

2uh1r1d.gif

Last edited:
Jalby's help, a timeline:

1) "Hi, if you have any questions I want you to come me for answers"

2) "BTW I think you're all miserable little ****s, and don't let me catch you saying anything stupid"

3) Jalby never says anything to us ever again.

It's like my surgery rotation in thread form.

Reactions: 1 user

2) "BTW I think you're all miserable little ****s, and don't let me catch you saying anything stupid"

To be honest... he never said he'd reply to the questions. He mainly said to ask questions.... :smuggrin::laugh:

Take your pick or answer them all!

1.) From your experience just how important are the objective factors like grades and Steps as compared to the subjective ones like personality, interviewing and practical skill?

2.) Why did you choose radiology?

3.) What was the most idiotic thing you witnessed from a premed / MS? How about the most impressive?

4.) If you could have a do-over for anything that happened in your career, what would it be?

Long Dong, just take over the thread and respond for Jalby! He is not coming back!

Ok since me and jalby are homies, have the same step 1 score, his advice helped get into derm, I'm derm and have more free time then him, finishing residency soon and gonna be balling banging models. I'll step in for him until he comes back. Ask away.

Which field of medicine will be making the most money per hour 10 years down the road?

:laugh::laugh:

Ok since me and jalby are homies, have the same step 1 score, his advice helped get into derm, I'm derm and have more free time then him, finishing residency soon and gonna be balling banging models. I'll step in for him until he comes back. Ask away.

1233445870_ae19b02.gif

044159e6e0b6bbae9a223ead74efee75883a7b7.gif

Reactions: 1 user
LD is awesome. I remember reading his old posts when I was studying for Step 1. Dude is a beast.

ok, srs question LD. Do you feel any stigma for being a male in derm? Do you get 5hit from your non-derm colleagues?

This entire thread is epic win. Well done ladies and gents, well done indeed! :thumbup:

ok, srs question LD. Do you feel any stigma for being a male in derm? Do you get 5hit from your non-derm colleagues?
Well we joke around and stuff but no one really gives me a hard time. I kind of fit the stereotype though (metrosexual) bright colored shirts and ties, designer suits, abs of steel etc. I went to lunch once with 2 plastics, 1 gen surg, 1 psych residents and 1 gas attending. I was the only one that goes out regularly thurs, friday, sat and didn't have bags under my eyes. I did miss how excited they got talking about their really sick patients but they wear more into my conversation of how i met this lesbian couple at a gay bar and took them home.

I've always wanted to pick a specialty like g-surg, but now have Long Dong envy. What is the cure?