Ask me (almost) anything. SDN Admin wants your feedback re: improving the forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

All4MyDaughter

SDN Mommystrator
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the members of the SDN podiatry forums - let's work together to make this a place we can all be proud of.

I just want to remind everyone of some forum guidelines that I posted in one of the other SDN podiatry forums:

• If you have a problem with another member, taking it to Private Message is always better than hashing it out on the forum
  • Posts that violate the Terms of Service should be reported by pressing the little red and white triangle at the bottom of the post
  • Please make use of the "Ignore Member" function to prevent yourself from seeing the posts of users you can't get along with

I'll add the following:

• If you think someone is a troll, engaging them and calling them out gives them attention, which is what trolls feed on.
  • PLEASE report bad posts/problematic users instead of publicly fighting with them.
  • You may, at times, feel like your reports aren't being taken seriously. I promise you that I am *personally* reviewing all of them. If no action was taken, it means that there was no TOS violation or that your allegations weren't supported by evidence. You may feel absolutely certain that someone is a reincarnated banned troll or an alternate account of another member, but I assure you that it's not always that simple. We act on evidence here, not supposition. But, please continue to report problems so we can investigate.
  • Moderators cannot discuss disciplinary actions taken (or not taken) against SDN members.
  • If you feel like this forum has gone downhill, then please heed the following: What are YOU doing to make it better? Is your purpose in being here to network with colleagues and discuss the profession and clinical topics? Or are you here to fight with trolls? How can YOU improve YOUR forum?

I am taking applications for assistant moderators for this forum. Qualifications include clean disciplinary history (or minor warning/infractions only) and generally helpful attitude on the forums PLUS willingness to spend time learning SDN policies and procedures. PM me if interested.

Members don't see this ad.

Keyword potential. It's the same people posting over and over again though, and having PADPM and kidsfeet back wouldn't make up for the low volume of current posters on these forums; and the larger sharing of information that could be achieved if these forums had more than 20 active posters..

Do you have a suggestion for getting more people involved in the forums?

Absolutely. I believe part of our responsibility as current posters should be to get public word out. We should encourage classmates and podiatrists/attendings to at the very least check out these forums. The fact is many people don't know sdn exists and if we don't participate in word of mouth advertising the podiatry forums on here will never grow.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'd like to add that retaining people is another issue that the podiatry forums seem to be having. I'd venture on to say that one of the factors contributing to this is the insufficient moderation of these forums.

I'd like to add that retaining people is another issue that the podiatry forums seem to be having. I'd venture on to say that one of the factors contributing to this is the insufficient moderation of these forums.

Good forum moderation is a balance, and it can be elusive. Too much moderation stifles discussion. Too little runs people away because of trolling and fighting. First and foremost, we need the cooperation of forum members to be effective moderators. This means reporting problems rather than escalating them, and not engaging people thought to be trolling the forums.

I am happy to answer questions about SDN's moderation philosophy for the forum members. What I can't do is address concerns about any specific member or disciplinary action taken against a member.

There needs to be a tiered leadership on the forums. There should be moderators chosen from the podiatry student contingent along with a chosen moderator who is a current resident or attending (preferably both). More moderators with different levels of education and experience will bring more perspective to the forums.

I totally agree. I'm working on that. We've had several self nominations tonight already.

I understand that the point of the forums is free speech but there needs to be ramifications for creating several different handles and posting propaganda (whether favorable or unfavorable towards podiatry).

Two separate issues here:

1. Creating multiple accounts - NOT allowed. But, the allegations have to be substantiatable by SDN staff. We have methods of investigating claims of multiple accounts, reincarnated banned users, etc. If the allegations can be substantiated, the users in question will be disciplined up to and including banning. But sometimes, we can't prove a conclusive link. That frustrates me as much as it frustrates you, I promise.

2. Trolling (just trying to stir things up) or posting anti-podiatry propaganda - also NOT allowed. But, we can't act on it unless it is reported. Unfortunately, the members of this forum have gotten into a habit of directly engaging problem users instead of reporting them for action. I'm hoping we can change that.

Lately, there have been a lot of weird posts with instances where posters (even a former a moderator) claimed there account was hacked. I understand if this was a troll causing trouble but the fact a former moderator claimed this was a real head scratcher for me. I've been posting here for two years and following the forums even longer and I haven't seen consistent randomness like this since Whiskers used to post here.

I agree that allegations of hacking, etc are kind of weird. I also think it's unlikely that someone's SDN account was "hacked" unless they did something careless like logged in at the school computer lab and then walked away without logging out. I mean, why would a hacker go to the trouble of gaining access to someone's SDN account? I'm not saying it would NEVER happen, but I don't feel like it is common. But standard precautions apply: dont' give out your password, always log out after browsing SDN from a public computer, create strong passwords, etc.

I appreciate your feedback!

Unfortunately, the members of this forum have gotten into a habit of directly engaging problem users instead of reporting them for action. I'm hoping we can change that.

You should have a "Request Admin" button next to the Quote/Multiquote/Reply buttons like other forums do. Large and easy to find. I would bet a lot of money people don't report inappropriate posts because they don't realize what that tiny yield sign is for. Then when they click on it, you have to type in what you think is wrong. Give them options to select with an "other" category. That way when they "RA" a post, they don't need to know the TOS because they can pick the violation that fits sitting right in front of their face. Just a thought, I understand site design might be out of your control.

You should have a "Request Admin" button next to the Quote/Multiquote/Reply buttons like other forums do. I would bet a lot of money people don't report inappropriate posts because they don't realize what that tiny yield sign is for. Then when they click on it, you have to type in what you think is wrong. Give them options to select with an "other" category. That way when they click it, they don't need to know the TOS because they can pick the violation that fits sitting right in front of their face. Just a thought, I understand site design might be out of your control.

The things you suggest might be available as a modification for our forum software (vbulletin). I'd have to look into it. But a lot of customizations make wonky things happen. :(

I do want to find ways to encourage people to report problems rather than using vigilante justice! :)

These are all suggestions concerned with retention, but what about step 1, attracting people?Anyone else have ideas as to how to actually attract more people? Would donations allow you to promote more heavily?

These are all suggestions concerned with retention, but what about step 1, attracting people?Anyone else have ideas as to how to actually attract more people? Would donations allow you to promote more heavily?
Same way schools get their names out there, college advisers. I found out about SDN from my adviser and It has been a huge help for me in clarifying some of my questions and misunderstandings. I think this site is especially important for prepod because there are fewer students at schools applying [compared to med/dental] and advisers don't have as much experience. So I think that might be a macro objective to target advisers/advisory programs somehow

Same way schools get their names out there, college advisers. I found out about SDN from my adviser and It has been a huge help for me in clarifying some of my questions and misunderstandings. I think this site is especially important for prepod because there are fewer students at schools applying [compared to med/dental] and advisers don't have as much experience. So I think that might be a macro objective to target advisers/advisory programs somehow

We rely heavily on word of mouth. We have had in the past (and are working on re-cultivating) a strong relationship with the APMSA/all of the pod schools.

One thing you could all do is follow SDN on Twitter and Facebook and encourage all of your friends to do the same. Quality threads from this forum might end up being SDN's "Thread of the Day" and be featured on Twitter and Facebook. When we publish a podiatry related article (like the current one), you can promote it via your personal Twitter and Facebook, if you want. These things are all helpful.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/studentdoctor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/studentdoctor
Current article: http://studentdoctor.net/2012/10/20-questions-kristina-karlic-dpm/

Problems with your forums:

1. Everyone gets into pissing matches with everyone else about just about everything. You can't sneeze without someone calling you out about stupid stuff that has nothing to do with anything. Attendings, Podiatrists, Students, Pre-meds, Mods...you name it.

2. Mods are just people. As much as they claim to be above because of their position, people are people. The problem is that there is no one who is on here constantly that can oversee, which means you guys (Mods) rely on people to report, which people couldn't be bothered to do. Self police yourself. Mods and all involved.

3. Someone in another thread said about people leaving and getting locked out, low number of contributors... Do you guys actually read what you write when these people contribute???? See #1. Who would want to stick around to deal with that?? Life is full of BS to deal with as it is. Why come here and deal with more?

4. Students especially need to tone it down. Stop with the ridiculous posts with pictures of who knows what (Oh Lawd for example). It brings down the forum to nothing more than a couple of dumb kids having fun at other people's expense.

5. Have you noticed how much effort some of you put into figuring out who is who and then are surprised when it blows up in your face? Have some respect and grow the eff up. Who cares who is who? And if you do, what's the big deal?? You don't like what someone has to say, don't read it, ignore it, whatever, but going on what amounts to a witch hunt is showing just how mature you really are.

6. Read the information given and THINK. Don't react.

7. Don't be a bully and make threats on the internet. That's childish and dumb. I can't believe what I read here sometimes and am amazed that you all claim to be "educated". This forum is the prime example of "educated" doesn't mean intelligent if you take what going on by the posts alone.

8. CHILL THE EFF OUT. All of you. Mods included. Stop looking for a reason to get rid of people and keep the topics on track. That's up to EVERYONE.

9. I'm going to make a comment and it's NOT a threat. Hacking into computers, IP address hacking, posting on others accounts is EASY. If you don't believe it, you aren't around computers enough. It's very clear that people on these forums hold grudges and have vendettas against others on this site. BE CAREFUL. Weird or not. It's EASY.

10. This is about community and the community of the Podiatry Forums SUCKS. Grow up. No one is attacking you personally by disagreeing with you or showing a different side of the story, but ALL of you take it that way. It's your way or the highway here. That's not how to get ahead in life.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I think would be cool is having students do a blog. Maybe 2 or 3 per specialty. Would be cool for prospective students of said specialty to see what life is like for these students and follow along. I think it would drive member numbers up..

Just an idea!

I would be up for doing a pre-pod one and plan to anyway pretty soon.

One thing I think would be cool is having students do a blog. Maybe 2 or 3 per specialty. Would be cool for prospective students of said specialty to see what life is like for these students and follow along. I think it would drive member numbers up..

Just an idea!

I would be up for doing a pre-pod one and plan to anyway pretty soon.

I think it's a great idea and am in the process (although still several months out) of developing guidelines that bloggers can follow to become "SDN Recommended Blogs." Stay tuned and happy blogging!

I think the stickied thread "What is podiatric medicine" should be moved to the pre-pod section. It will serve a better purpose there answering a lot of questions potential perspectives may have.

I think the stickied thread "What is podiatric medicine" should be moved to the pre-pod section. It will serve a better purpose there answering a lot of questions potential perspectives may have.

I'll take a look after I teach my class tonight. Is the thread up to date? Does it need editing? Thanks for all your suggestions!

The fact is this is the internet, and was built on being anonymous. You will never get rid of trolls - never ever. It's impossible. Second, this is the internet, and I understand this is a professional message board - but its not that serious. This is a public forum when it comes down to it, and far from exclusive. So this whole ramification talk sounds out of place, in the context of the world wide web.

I know someone who mods a music board ran on vB, and he typically bans IP's of the accounts. Thus it makes it a lot harder to keep on making screen names, unless they take the time to go through proxies.

If I have any good suggestion is that only mod's can label people as: Attending, or maybe even residents. Then at least information from them can be held with some weight. Who cares what all the other low levelers talk about.

I think this forum is best served as anonymous, because you can have wide open dialog.

I always tell people about SDN, word of mouth is best promotional tool.

The fact is this is the internet, and was built on being anonymous. You will never get rid of trolls - never ever. It's impossible. Second, this is the internet, and I understand this is a professional message board - but its not that serious. This is a public forum when it comes down to it, and far from exclusive. So this whole ramification talk sounds out of place, in the context of the world wide web.

I know someone who mods a music board ran on vB, and he typically bans IP's of the accounts. Thus it makes it a lot harder to keep on making screen names, unless they take the time to go through proxies.

If I have any good suggestion is that only mod's can label people as: Attending, or maybe even residents. Then at least information from them can be held with some weight. Who cares what all the other low levelers talk about.

I think this forum is best served as anonymous, because you can have wide open dialog.

Agreed on all parts.

IP bans may help. At least with more mods here, the trolls would be picked off quicker before they can spew their nonsense.

For technology and manpower related reasons, we can't police the user status designations (attending, resident, student, etc) but we do have verified statuses (verified pharmacist, verified podiatrist, etc) with icons (check out my "PharmD" icon to the left of the post) that people can apply for and submit documentation. That should help some with credibility. Read more here: https://help.studentdoctor.net/entries/465337-doctor-verification

I totally agree with you that people should guard their privacy and protect their identities. This includes being cautious with what you post but also with what you reveal to other people by private communication like PM, Facebook, etc.

I also agree with you about word of mouth. :thumbup:

I'll take a look after I teach my class tonight. Is the thread up to date? Does it need editing? Thanks for all your suggestions!

The last post on it is from several years ago, however all the information in the thread is still accurate. In terms of editing there is another post in there suggesting that it be moved to the pre-pod section which probably should be edited out if the move does happen. Other than that, it looks pretty good IMO.

Troll posts should be deleted after they are banned.

If I said that people may be more inclined to respond to trolls because the trolls post would remain would you say that was reasonable or unreasonable?

Do you feel our troll situation is unique or is our situation pretty similar to the rest of the boards?

Thanks for your consideration.

If I said that people may be more inclined to respond to trolls because the trolls post would remain would you say that was reasonable or unreasonable?

Do you feel our troll situation is unique or is our situation pretty similar to the rest of the boards?

Thanks for your consideration.

If someone responds to a troll post, then it REALLY doesn't make sense to delete. You'd see the response but not the original post.

I'm not sure how deleting/not deleting would change people's inclination to respond. It's still more preferable to report the troll so we can investigate and ban if evidence warrants it.

I think the trolling on this board has gotten out of hand because of lack of consistent moderator oversight and tendency by members to engage/fight with trolls rather than report them. But both of those things are modifiable and I think things will get better.

If someone responds to a troll post, then it REALLY doesn't make sense to delete. You'd see the response but not the original post.

I'm not sure how deleting/not deleting would change people's inclination to respond. It's still more preferable to report the troll so we can investigate and ban if evidence warrants it.

I think the trolling on this board has gotten out of hand because of lack of consistent moderator oversight and tendency by members to engage/fight with trolls rather than report them. But both of those things are modifiable and I think things will get better.

As an example, consider the last troll that was banned here. They were able to squeeze one post in before getting banned. Nobody had a chance to reply to that post - why not just delete it?

As an example, consider the last troll that was banned here. They were able to squeeze one post in before getting banned. Nobody had a chance to reply to that post - why not just delete it?

We just don't really delete. I think it's more transparent that way. Deleting posts as a tool of moderation can EASILY be misused. We don't, as a matter of course, edit members' posts either.