Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As @gutonc said, if you know what city you matched into and that was the only place you ranked in that city, go ahead and call them and let them know your situation. If you can't find anything via SOAP, then you need to have your Advanced program helping you look as well. You should enlist anyone you trained under as a med student that might be able to help you. Barring that, even cold calling programs after the match is over would be worthwhile for you.
Thanks for the response, and I'll find the posts from Gutonc to get more info. I called NRMP and got the city so that narrowed it down to two, but very likely one over the other. I'll try my luck at noon on the first round of SOAP with the few phone calls I got, then give my future program a call at noon. Then start calling any/all contacts.

Anyone know if there were any prelim spots available outside the Match at the end of SOAP last year? Or where could I find that information?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the response, and I'll find the posts from Gutonc to get more info. I called NRMP and got the city so that narrowed it down to two, but very likely one over the other. I'll try my luck at noon on the first round of SOAP with the few phone calls I got, then give my future program a call at noon. Then start calling any/all contacts.

Anyone know if there were any prelim spots available outside the Match at the end of SOAP last year? Or where could I find that information?

If you ranked two programs in the same city, you can't be sure which of the two it will be. I suppose you could call both and say you matched in the city and need a prelim spot and see if they can help, but you know one of those programs isn't yours and that info won't be available to you until Friday (and to the programs on Thursday).

Reactions: 1 user
Programs only know if they filled their quota now. They will know their intern class on Thursday, but it is supposed to be "Confidential Roster" until Friday 1.00pm when it is not "Confidential Roster" any more.

So just to clarify, programs know their intern class on Thursday 1pm, but aren't allowed to email us or anything until Friday 1pm? I just heard of some programs last year emailing their interns before Match Day so it wasn't a surprise to them where they matched when they opened their envelopes...

So just to clarify, programs know their intern class on Thursday 1pm, but aren't allowed to email us or anything until Friday 1pm? I just heard of some programs last year emailing their interns before Match Day so it wasn't a surprise to them where they matched when they opened their envelopes...
Yes. Programs find out tomorrow pm but can't release the information (or contact their new residents) until 1pm ET on Friday. I actually take it a step further and watch our student Match Day ceremony online. If we matched with any of our students, I make sure they have opened their envelope before I send a congratulatory email. I don't want to spoil the surprise, and our ceremony tends to run long.

I've seen your other posts and expected this kind of response from you. I just wanted to know how much programs appreciate step 3, the rest is my decision to make.

He's saying that they won't care about your step 3. You will be rejected either way. Save your money...become a PhD or go home. Sometimes the advice you don't want to hear is the advice you need to hear.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there any way for a recent AMG who is currently a paid clinical researcher and adjunct staff with 3 medical centers including the local university to get clinical experience people wouldn't scoff at? Getting grants and writing papers didn't help me, and I want to ask here before I actually ask my PI and researching residents to set me up with an attending to do ... something? Nobody around me knows what to do and I can't wait on them to figure it out, but other than an observership, I don't know of anything I can do that will look halfway decent.

So I told the PD during my interview that I'm set to graduate in May without knowing that my deans letter said June. If I were to match with that program and my ecfmg somehow gets delayed, can they terminate me because I told them by May by accident? If so how can NRMP investigate this and find me guilty?

So I told the PD during my interview that I'm set to graduate in May without knowing that my deans letter said June. If I were to match with that program and my ecfmg somehow gets delayed, can they terminate me because I told them by May by accident? If so how can NRMP investigate this and find me guilty?

This is a non issue. They would have seen your MSPE. It's not a violation, and it's not a problem.

I'm going to agree with others. You don't know where you have matched, and contacting the wrong person is a mess. Plus, there's very little they can actually do for you at this point.

Is there any way for a recent AMG who is currently a paid clinical researcher and adjunct staff with 3 medical centers including the local university to get clinical experience people wouldn't scoff at? Getting grants and writing papers didn't help me, and I want to ask here before I actually ask my PI and researching residents to set me up with an attending to do ... something? Nobody around me knows what to do and I can't wait on them to figure it out, but other than an observership, I don't know of anything I can do that will look halfway decent.

Are there training programs where you are at? Have you been going to their grand rounds and other conferences? If not, that's another way to start to meet people. As for clinical experience, without a license and malpractice insurance, you'll be stuck doing only observerships.

Are there training programs where you are at? Have you been going to their grand rounds and other conferences? If not, that's another way to start to meet people. As for clinical experience, without a license and malpractice insurance, you'll be stuck doing only observerships.

I've been going to grand rounds, interdisciplinary conference, and morning conference (for the wrong specialty though) ... so many missed opportunities; I should have been more shameless.

What I think I'll do now is ask the Neurology PD or some Neurology attending if they have room for me on morning rounds and make a habit of it - screw waiting for the attendings or residents to introduce me, and I have nothing to lose. Maybe read Harrison's for real this time just for fun.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Thinking out loud here, the sequence of events could be like this:
-Sign all the paperwork and start the residency under current name
-I'm assuming the name is communicated/entered into publicly accessible systems (healthgrades, doximity) or maybe those third party sites access it from another central source where info about all residents is sent by the program..I don't know what's the process here or the mechanics of it.
-I let PC know that I'm thinking of starting the name change process at some point and what's their suggestion meaning they may want to do it say at the start of the PGY-2 or something.
-Now sometime during the residency, the time that works best for program, I initiate the name change process legally.
-The PC and admin at the program will have to update their systems with the new name after I get it all done (new SSC, Driver's license, passport etc). They will have to update their website with the new name, payroll systems etc. Not sure if tax filing will be tricky
-Program will retransmit the new name to whatever central entity they would have done in the beginning
-Voila! Name change successfully implemented!

Few things I'm thinking about and want to make sure that I'm not starting on the wrong foot. Will my records be available under both names when people search for it. Are there any blind spots that I'm not seeing?

Sorry I sound paranoid but I want to cross all Ts and dot all Is!

Thank you for advice.
Name changes during residency require extra paperwork and don't happen instantaneously even when the paperwork gets submitted--you'll need to be patient. That said, it's not uncommon and not problematic in the long run. If you want to change your name, go ahead--just let your PC know once you find out where you match, and always keep the official documentation of the name change handy so you can submit it for your future licensing/credentialing needs. Basically, same advice for waiting to change your name until after your complete residency: You'd provide whatever authority you're addressing with a copy of the marriage license or court order that changed your name along with your current SSC (with the new name), and it won't matter what name is on your diplomas because you have proof that you are the same person. However, if you change during residency, at least you'd have an administrative person (your PC) who has likely done this before and could help with the process.

Do you need J1 visa? you won't be able to start your visa process until you are ECFMG certified. If this process starts June, I doubt it will end July 1st, but I could be wrong.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Thinking out loud here, the sequence of events could be like this:
-Sign all the paperwork and start the residency under current name
-I'm assuming the name is communicated/entered into publicly accessible systems (healthgrades, doximity) or maybe those third party sites access it from another central source where info about all residents is sent by the program..I don't know what's the process here or the mechanics of it.
-I let PC know that I'm thinking of starting the name change process at some point and what's their suggestion meaning they may want to do it say at the start of the PGY-2 or something.
-Now sometime during the residency, the time that works best for program, I initiate the name change process legally.
-The PC and admin at the program will have to update their systems with the new name after I get it all done (new SSC, Driver's license, passport etc). They will have to update their website with the new name, payroll systems etc. Not sure if tax filing will be tricky
-Program will retransmit the new name to whatever central entity they would have done in the beginning
-Voila! Name change successfully implemented!

Few things I'm thinking about and want to make sure that I'm not starting on the wrong foot. Will my records be available under both names when people search for it. Are there any blind spots that I'm not seeing?

Sorry I sound paranoid but I want to cross all Ts and dot all Is!

Thank you for advice.

Sorry--we have now exhausted my knowledge of the name change process. As coordinator, my responsibility is to make sure the name change goes through appropriately in the payroll, hospital systems (including the website), and licensure/boards/professional organizations. I don't control anything with Doximity or Healthgrades or know how they get the information they publish. Taxes won't be tricky--you'll have the same Social Security number. Just keep an open communication channel with your coordinator and it will work out.

So do we need a full unrestricted license to be able to sit for the board certification?

Question for the PC and anyone else really who can offer advice please. I applied for IM this year and didn't match, perhaps not too surprisingly. I'm an IMG (would need a visa) from the UK, med school in London, graduated in 2014, now working as a second year doctor. My biggest hindrance to my application is passing step 1 on my third attempt...with a score of 196. Passed step 2 on first attempt with 225 on ck, am now ecfmg certified. Have about 2.5 months usce, with some in peds and some in im, 2 publications (one is a case report, both first author) and 1 international presentation. My question really-is it worth trying again, or with the step 1 failures is it going to be almost futile? Is uk work experience viewed as beneficial? I'm prepared to do step 3 in the next few months, but am starting to question forking out more $. I'm not ready to give up the dream but perhaps I should, I'd be grateful for your thoughts, thank you

Last edited:
Question for the PC and anyone else really who can offer advice please. I applied for IM this year and didn't match, perhaps not too surprisingly. I'm an IMG (would need a visa) from the UK, med school in London, graduated in 2014, now working as a second year doctor. My biggest hindrance to my application is passing step 1 on my third attempt...with a score of 196. Passed step 2 on first attempt with 225 on ck, am now ecfmg certified. Have about 2.5 months usce, with some in peds and some in im, 2 publications (one is a case report, both first author) and 1 international presentation. My question really-is it worth trying again, or with the step 1 failures is it going to be almost futile? Is uk work experience viewed as beneficial? I'm prepared to do step 3 in the next few months, but am starting to question forking out more $. I'm not ready to give up the dream but perhaps I should, I'd be grateful for your thoughts, thank you

It's impossible to tell you what your chances are. If you applied this year and didn't match, you'll need to do something to change that -- apply to more/different programs, consider FM instead of IM, try to build connections here in the US, etc. Only you can tell if it's worth your while to apply again.

It's impossible to tell you what your chances are. If you applied this year and didn't match, you'll need to do something to change that -- apply to more/different programs, consider FM instead of IM, try to build connections here in the US, etc. Only you can tell if it's worth your while to apply again.
Agree with this.

You haven't given us enough information about your app strategy this year. If you applied to 20 top IM programs and got 1 or 2 interviews, no wonder you didn't match. If you applied to >100 IM programs, got <10 invites and didn't match...may not be worth the trouble next year (or it might be...only you can decide that).

Does that license have to be in the state where you are doing residency? I found out that I will be ineligible for a license in Texas because of one of my third year rotations. Im not from Texas and so I do not plan on practicing there anyways. Can I get a license from another state and then sit and take the board?

Does that license have to be in the state where you are doing residency? I found out that I will be ineligible for a license in Texas because of one of my third year rotations. Im not from Texas and so I do not plan on practicing there anyways. Can I get a license from another state and then sit and take the board?
I assume so. If you don't need a TX license, why would you get one? Find a job, get a license, apply for your board exam. Easy peasy.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone on this thread -- PCs, PDs, residents, and fellow applicants -- for helping me out and answering all of my anxiety-filled questions during the crazy interview process!!! You guys are the best. :)

I assume so. If you don't need a TX license, why would you get one? Find a job, get a license, apply for your board exam. Easy peasy.

Thank you for prompt response. So to be clear, even though I am doing residency in Texas, I do not need a Texas license to sit for the boards I can obtain a license from another state?

Thanks for the replies, it is absolutely worth it for me to apply again. I primarily wanted to gauge whether you felt there would be a remote possibility of matching given my step 1 issue? I only applied to 40 programs, probably mid-low tier ones and I didn't get any interviews. I'd obviously apply to more the next time round. How useful do you think step 3 would be for my application?

Agree with this.

You haven't given us enough information about your app strategy this year. If you applied to 20 top IM programs and got 1 or 2 interviews, no wonder you didn't match. If you applied to >100 IM programs, got <10 invites and didn't match...may not be worth the trouble next year (or it might be...only you can decide that).

Thank you for prompt response. So to be clear, even though I am doing residency in Texas, I do not need a Texas license to sit for the boards I can obtain a license from another state?

That is correct. Any medical license will do.

Thanks for the correction above. I didn't realize it was an ABMS requirement.

for what specialty are you apply for BC?

Thanks for the replies, it is absolutely worth it for me to apply again. I primarily wanted to gauge whether you felt there would be a remote possibility of matching given my step 1 issue? I only applied to 40 programs, probably mid-low tier ones and I didn't get any interviews. I'd obviously apply to more the next time round. How useful do you think step 3 would be for my application?
That was about 80 programs too few. Lesson learned (hopefully).

A stellar Step 3 score (250+) won't hurt you (but won't really help you). A mediocre Step 3 score will hurt you.

Thank you and it's very helpful ti know how much PC/hospital admin would be involved in the process. You have already given more info than I knew so thanks again. Outside of the medical side of things, there are things where certain logistics needs to be taken care of, like changing the names with credit card companies, now that I think about it..kids's school records? How about kids' birth certificates.. oh man! looks like it's lot of work..

oh well.. if I can gather all that needs to be done..then at least I can plan for it. I was raising those questions about doximity type service thinking that after the new name, do they delete the old records.. probably not. I guess my main thing was the name information that gets out to Internet during residency through official channels, if the name changes mid-residency or post residency but before going into proper job, is it going to hurt my perception or cause any lifelong duty to explain to everyone at every juncture..if it isn't going to be a career suicide level mistake, I would still go for the name change.

It's late and I have started to ramble ..

Sorry--we have now exhausted my knowledge of the name change process. As coordinator, my responsibility is to make sure the name change goes through appropriately in the payroll, hospital systems (including the website), and licensure/boards/professional organizations. I don't control anything with Doximity or Healthgrades or know how they get the information they publish. Taxes won't be tricky--you'll have the same Social Security number. Just keep an open communication channel with your coordinator and it will work out.

Thank you and it's very helpful ti know how much PC/hospital admin would be involved in the process. You have already given more info than I knew so thanks again. Outside of the medical side of things, there are things where certain logistics needs to be taken care of, like changing the names with credit card companies, now that I think about it..kids's school records? How about kids' birth certificates.. oh man! looks like it's lot of work..

oh well.. if I can gather all that needs to be done..then at least I can plan for it. I was raising those questions about doximity type service thinking that after the new name, do they delete the old records.. probably not. I guess my main thing was the name information that gets out to Internet during residency through official channels, if the name changes mid-residency or post residency but before going into proper job, is it going to hurt my perception or cause any lifelong duty to explain to everyone at every juncture..if it isn't going to be a career suicide level mistake, I would still go for the name change.

It's late and I have started to ramble ..
Actually, I'm thinking about changing my name so Doximity and the rest of those useless a**holes can't find me for a few years.

Reactions: 3 users
Actually, I'm thinking about changing my name so Doximity and the rest of those useless a**holes can't find me for a few years.

I misread this as "I'm thinking about changing my name TO Doximity". That would be great. You could be Dr. Dox Imity.

I have always wanted to change my name, the complete name, first middle and last. So far all my educational and govt docs (SSN, drivers license etc) have been in my current name.

I don't have my name out in the professional world meaning I'm not licensed yet and will be starting residency soon so was thinking ahead, this may be finally time to do that.

I don't necessarily need to retain ties to old name after the new name change takes place.

Was thinking when I put in my new name on my resume and employers go looking for references, will it be too much of headache that I should not even think about it?

@letmeinwillya - Are you wanting to retain ties to your former name? Or lose them?

I have always wanted to change my name, the complete name, first middle and last. So far all my educational and govt docs (SSN, drivers license etc) have been in my current name.

I don't have my name out in the professional world meaning I'm not licensed yet and will be starting residency soon so was thinking ahead, this may be finally time to do that.

I don't necessarily need to retain ties to old name after the new name change takes place.

Was thinking when I put in my new name on my resume and employers go looking for references, will it be too much of headache that I should not even think about it?

Changing the WHOLE thing - first middle and last - without a logical/traditional reason (marriage, or to Americanize' a name that is hard for Americans to read/pronounce) will raise questions which you should be prepared to answer.

I'd suggest that the best time to change your name legally will be NOW -- so your degree will be awarded under your new/future name and your residency program will know you under your new name without going through the whole switch thing. In the U.S., it is entirely legal for you to USE any name you like for almost any purpose provided your intent is not to deceive. So you could go to your school's administration and announce your intended name change before it is completed legally.

You also mentioned that you are an IMG? Do you live in the US now? Or in another country? Do/Will you still have immigration hurdles to clear? Or are you a US citizen who attended a foreign school?

actually the best time would have been before you took step I...

Changing the WHOLE thing - first middle and last - without a logical/traditional reason (marriage, or to Americanize' a name that is hard for Americans to read/pronounce) will raise questions which you should be prepared to answer.
Reason for changing the last name is marriage (a while ago, didn't change my last name then) and first name because I grew up not liking it much and like I said always wanted to change it, the ease of pronouncing it will be added plus. I'm assuming that questions will be raised while going through the court process and I can answer them. Did you mean questions raised by the residency staff or colleagues?
You also mentioned that you are an IMG?
Yes, I'm an IMG who matched this year and will start residency in July.
Do you live in the US now? Or in another country? Do/Will you still have immigration hurdles to clear? Or are you a US citizen who attended a foreign school?

I'm a US citizen who attended a foreign medical school, I currently live in US and have been for more than a decade. I've already gone through immigration to become a naturalizated citizen.

Hello everyone,

I matched this year but have not heard from the program yet or received any paperwork. Is this a concern?

Hello everyone,

I matched this year but have not heard from the program yet or received any paperwork. Is this a concern?

Why don't you contact your program via e-mail and/or Phone?

Hello folks,
Got the paperwork. It's asking for three professional references and accounting for ALL time elapsed between graduation from med. school till today, addresses where I have lived in last 10 years.

I have lived overseas for some time and I'm wondering if that will delay the background check as they agencies conducting the background check may not be efficient in some of the foreign countries, will that hold me up?

It also asks to account for time I spent to prepare for Steps, does this mean if I say 1 year vs few months, it's going to affect me in anyway? How closely does program look at these things in preparation of new intern starting their residency in few months? Assuming no legal blemishes in the background, are these things going to matter?

I'm sure to have more questions a I go through the huge pile of paper work. It seems some of this is pretty boilerplate and repetitious..like asking for personal statement if I haven't already submitted one? I assume my PS was part of my ERAS so I have already submitted it.

Will PC let me know once all has gone through or I just send in the paperwork and sit back and wait?

Last edited:
Hello folks,
Got the paperwork. It's asking for three professional references and accounting for ALL time elapsed between graduation from med. school till today, addresses where I have lived in last 10 years.

I have lived overseas for some time and I'm wondering if that will delay the background check as they agencies conducting the background check may not be efficient in some of the foreign countries, will that hold me up?

It also asks to account for time I spent to prepare for Steps, does this mean if I say 1 year vs few months, it's going to affect me in anyway? How closely does program look at these things in preparation of new intern starting their residency in few months? Assuming no legal blemishes in the background, are these things going to matter?

I'm sure to have more questions a I go through the huge pile of paper work. It seems some of this is pretty boilerplate and repetitious..like asking for personal statement if I haven't already submitted one? I assume my PS was part of my ERAS so I have already submitted it.

Will PC let me know once all has gone through or I just send in the paperwork and sit back and wait?
Have you considered just completing the paperwork and then asking the PC? Because nobody here can answer your questions...unless your PC is Frederica or mcl.

I certainly could but I thought it would be weird asking her the kinds of questions that I feel ok to ask here. I understand that this could be program specific but was wondering what someone here on the forum from the admin (PC, PD) side would think about this?

Have you considered just completing the paperwork and then asking the PC? Because nobody here can answer your questions...unless your PC is Frederica or mcl.

Your PC and PD are there to help. Best advice will be from them -- they will know what level of detail their process requires. They are used to neurotic new interns.

Reactions: 4 users
Your PC and PD are there to help. Best advice will be from them -- they will know what level of detail their process requires. They are used to neurotic new interns.

Exactly. Your job is simply to provide exactly what the program asks for in whatever form they want to receive. Will your time overseas make the background check take longer? Maybe. It doesn't matter. Would it make a difference if you took a leave of a few months vs. a year to prepare for the Steps? Maybe. It doesn't matter. You can't control any of those things now--you just have to accurately record where you lived, what you did, how long your leave(s) was/were, and any additional information requested. The reason all this paperwork goes out right after Match is to allow time for all the various entities involved to process it.

I guarantee that you aren't the first resident matched with your program who took a circuitous path to residency, and your PC/PD will be delighted to answer any/all questions in order to get the paperwork back quickly and completed correctly. They have as much of a vested interest in getting you licensed and credentialed as you do.

Thank you mcl for your detailed reply. I get it, I need to report accurately the time spent doing a certain activity (usmle prep, raising family etc..). My concern was and it probably is an unfounded one but first year nervous intern as I am, I might as well seek some comfort ahead of time. If I stayed at home due to family reasons, I prepared for steps in parallel, do I put in few months vs a year..how accurate I need to be and does this have any bearing at all?

Will PD see the paperwork that residents fill up or does it pretty much get filed with PC and gets processed and filed away unless there's a huge red flag that would require it to be brought to PD's attention?

Thank you mcl for your detailed reply. I get it, I need to report accurately the time spent doing a certain activity (usmle prep, raising family etc..). My concern was and it probably is an unfounded one but first year nervous intern as I am, I might as well seek some comfort ahead of time. If I stayed at home due to family reasons, I prepared for steps in parallel, do I put in few months vs a year..how accurate I need to be and does this have any bearing at all?

Will PD see the paperwork that residents fill up or does it pretty much get filed with PC and gets processed and filed away unless there's a huge red flag that would require it to be brought to PD's attention?

a) You have to account for all of your time between medical school and residency--no time gaps where it isn't clear where you were/what you were doing or the paperwork will get flagged resulting in delays in processing while someone has to contact you to fill in the gaps. For example, even our new interns who are coming to residency straight from medical school have about six weeks to account for between the end of medical school and the beginning of orientation. We tell them to write in that they were vacationing/moving during that time--but whatever they do, they can't leave it blank.

b) Your PC is the weigh station for collecting/distributing the information various stakeholders require in order to license and appoint you as a resident. He/she may keep a copy of some or all of it, but also may not. The coordinator's responsibility is to make sure it's all complete and that it gets where it needs to go in a timely fashion--some to the state's licensing board, some to various hospitals where you'll see patients, some to a central Personnel office or Academic Affairs, etc. This system keeps you from having to receive paperwork from 5-6 different sources and allows the program to track what has and has not been done. Everything you are being asked to complete and/or sign is a crucial element of your packet for someone.

c) There's no way to predict whether or not your particular PD wants to review the paperwork for his/her incoming residents. Your PC is the person who would know for sure.

Seriously, don't seek comfort for your nerves by getting opinions on SDN. While some aspects of appointing residents are the same everywhere, some are specific to programs and/or institutions. Your program's PC will tell you EXACTLY what you need to know.

I'm planning to apply to a second residency through the next match. I'm a US medical graduate who completed one residency, and I'm now a clinical and research fellow. I've also spoken to program directors of the combined residency/fellowship programs that I'm interested in. I've already contacted my med school to let them know that I will be requesting an ERAS token in May. Would be able to give me a brief list of other steps for independent applicants who attended med school in the US?

Hello,
I would appreciate PC and PD's perspective on this. Candidate has matched at a residency program. There was gap between med school graduation and time of application for residency, a gap of say over 5 years but less than 10. During this period candidate stayed unemployed, raised kids, spouse supported financially. No work was reported during that period on ERAS application so all of this was known at the time of the interview.

When filling the paperwork after the match, one of the form asks for ALL time starting med school to present. Candidate filled up in the "Reason:" section, "Personal Reasons" but PC is requesting the candidate that he/she submit a letter from the spouse stating what was the candidate doing during those times and who was financially supporting the candidate.

Candidate is planning to send what's requested summarizing the activities during the requested time. Is this just normal for a residency program to further ask such documentation and can this be a problem in any sense for the candidate before starting the residency or during the residency for that matter?

Some of the this concern comes from place of insecurity that the programs selected a candidate who clearly had a long gap between med school graduation and start of the residency. Is program now having second thoughts, probably not so may be this is just more documentation to account for ALL time since med school and will simply be filed away.

If this is not going to evaluated and looked a to take any action then no issues at all.

Maybe I'm unnecessarily worrying..

I posted details at this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/long-gap-after-med-school-matched-but-paperwork.1195572/