Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cold emailing them probably won't do you much good, as they get a ton of emails and you'll get lost in the shuffle. If you're going to be rotating with/working with them at some point, may be worth emailing.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
Currently an IMG applying for radiology this year.
I received some advice to consider emailing/calling programs pre-application cycle to express interest
Has anyone got any opinions on this / know exactly what kind of things to say to not come off completely entitled/pushy

Thanks

What's your story. American who went to the Carib? Someone from abroad? Do you have good scores? Any contacts?

UK grad working in a UK residency. Decent scores 257/260 and no contacts for radiology

There is always the alternate pathway of doing 4 fellowships at the same institution.

Getting a residency will be very difficult. I think you will definitely need a contact. If I were you I'd find least desirable programs that have taken IMGs before and reach out to them to do a rotation.

ys the alternate pathway of doing 4 fellowships at the same institution.

Getting a residency will be very difficult. I think you will definitely need a contact. If I were you I'd find least desirable programs that have taken IMGs before and reach out to them to do a rotation.

Makes sense, but considering i cant even enter the US at the moment and rotations are mostly cancelled not sure how i could do a rotation. Also the alternate pathway is fine for the board certification but i read you cant get a state medical licence through that pathway

Makes sense, but considering i cant even enter the US at the moment and rotations are mostly cancelled not sure how i could do a rotation. Also the alternate pathway is fine for the board certification but i read you cant get a state medical licence through that pathway

Well you're in a training program now and need to finish that before you can do the alternate pathway so there is time for things to go back to normal and you can do rotations.

Greetings!
First, this thread is approved by an administrator for the forums.

I am a program coordinator at a major medical center and have been lurking here for a while. I have noticed many questions about the program side of ERAS, interview questions, process questions, and what to wear to an interview. Since I have been a coordinator for over five years, and I love what I do, I have started this thread to answer any questions you may have about the whole interview process or anything else.

I will not respond to questions about institutions or specific programs (i.e. MGH IM residency).

So, fire away, let me know how I can help you.

Freddie
Hello greeting !!
I have question !! If PC send us email regarding contract detail with full pdf contract just to know the details of program , how I should take it as! Should I rank high to that program?

Hello greeting !!
I have question !! If PC send us email regarding contract detail with full pdf contract just to know the details of program , how I should take it as! Should I rank high to that program?
1. It is a requirement of every program that you get to see the contract you would be signing if you match.
2. Rank based on your true preferences. It doesn't help you to rank a program higher even if they really do like you.

Reactions: 2 users
1. It is a requirement of every program that you get to see the contract you would be signing if you match.
2. Rank based on your true preferences. It doesn't help you to rank a program higher even if they really do like you.

Said it perfectly. Please don't rank based on whether the program sent you a preview contract or not. It means nothing.

Reactions: 2 users
You, and probably many others, will say I'm being a jerk when I say this...and that's fine, I can accept that.

But here's the Buddha's honest truth....

Sorry bro...it's not happening for you. The IMG/PhD/US Residency pathway is drying up. And if you're looking at 15 years on that pathway (+/- a year or 5), it's just not realistic.

Either go all in on your PhD/Post-Doc or, if you need to be a doctor, go home. You've got nothing to lose (other than money, time and ego) by applying again next year. But your likelihood of success is already near zero, and only getting closer as time goes on.
just thought I should mention that I matched some years ago in a very good Pathology residency program...and I could not be happier with my choice...mostly I wanted to mention it so that people in a similar situation don't give up...it's not always the same recipe for everyone...and some times negative comments can hurt and make people give up.