This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoctorX-men

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, :)

I hope that everyone is doing well! I just have a question regarding asking my Medical School mentor for a favour. Please keep in mind that this might be a little long!
So here's the background:
My med school mentor is currently a fourth year medical student and he will be graduating this May. I am super duper proud of him and his achievements and I really look up to him as a role model and as a big brother. I've known him for two years now and we first met during my freshman year of college through a community mentorship program.
Now, I am a sophomore in college and I plan on pursuing a medical profession. However, I also plan on taking a 1-2 years of Gap year (most likely 2years) in order to help improve my CV, continue my volunteering, shadowing and also start working in order to help save up money before I apply to Med school. I plan on applying on a hospital as a technician of some sort, I'm not picky and I can take on any profession given to me. :)

---------//----------//---------​
So, since I do pan on taking 2 years of Gap year, this is where my favour for my mentor comes into play.
Since he will be graduating this May, I would really like to ask him if he still has any of his old Notes and possibly Books that he used when he was in his 1st and 2nd year of Medical school, maybe also 3rd, if he took any which I highly doubt.
The only problem is that I don't know how to approach asking this question... :(

Should I just ask him straight up and also ask him if he can give me some of his notes and books.
OR
Should I ask him about his note and books and then offer to pay for them?
I kinda feel a little awkward being in this situation and I really don't want to offend him in anyway shape or form since I highly respect him!:shy:

Note: I also plan on getting him a graduation present for his accomplishments! Do you guys have any suggestions as what I should get him? :clap: My budget is pretty much below $100 since I'm still a student and I don't have a job right now...
  • I've thought about getting him a pen, but he might lose it...
  • I've though about getting him a personalized mug but I don't know what I should put on it...
    • Anything clever that you can think of? He is planning on pursuing Emergency Medicine!
  • I've also though about getting him a gift card but that doesn't sound memorable at all and I really want to show my appreciation for his help!
ps: If you are wondering why I wanted to ask for his notes and books so badly, it's because I wanted to be able to read some of the informations that will be presented to me in advance and also to be able to study while I am in my gap year trying to improve my CV.
I simply can't lose my momentum of studying just because I took two years of Gap years. :horns:

Please help!! Any advice???:highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're seriously overthinking this, and tbh I don't know how useful his notes and books would be. you can just casually ask him and know that it's not a huge deal, he'll either say yes or no. it doesn't change your relationship with him and isn't going to tarnish any perception of you.

as for the gift, something practical. or coffee.

I think you're seriously overthinking this, and tbh I don't know how useful his notes and books would be. you can just casually ask him and know that it's not a huge deal, he'll either say yes or no. it doesn't change your relationship with him and isn't going to tarnish any perception of you.

as for the gift, something practical. or coffee.
Yeah, I think that your right. I do believe that I may be overthinking this through, thank you for letting me know!
As for the gift, thank you for your input. I was rally thinking of something practical that he can use everyday.