Asking for a LOR--how long must I work with an attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckom5987

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on a 3rd year rotation at a teaching hospital in a specialty i'm applying to for residency. I've had the opportunity to work 1-on-1 with an attending for 7 days straight, but then we switch to a different one. This past week I've performed strongly (both my assessment and feedback from the attending) and had a good rapport with the attending. This is my best shot at a LOR this year from a faculty member in this field...and I'm just worried that I won't have as good of an opportunity to connect as well, when I do my sub-I's and interact mainly with residents in 4th year. Is it okay/good idea to ask for a LOR, even though it's only been one week? Thanks for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

The length isn't as important as how much interaction there has been. Working all day each day one on one with an attending for one week is pretty decent. Seeing them for a few minutes every day for a week not so much.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to reaffirm this is totally common. Myself and others used LORs from attendings we spent a week with. However, you don't really want ALL your letters like that.

Dpmd's advice is great. The quality of the interaction and their ability to write you a good LOR matter most.

Plus, get this letter now. If you can get one later from your sub-I, more power to you.

Doesn't hurt to ask. I got one like this too... Plus, you don't have to use all letters if next year you get better ones

Reactions: 1 user