Asking for a positive letter of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedrose

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that I should ask the prof for a positive letter of recommendation. Is that how it is done?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I asked each of my professors if it would be a strong and positive letter. There's no harm in it. If a professor hesitates, you know the caliber of the letter, more than likely.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean when you are asking you should probably ask something like "Would you be able to write me a positive letter of recommendation?" that way if they are being really honest they can admit if they cannot because they don't know you, or don't like you.

I'd rather do that then have them write a letter that says I'd back a crappy doctor.

I have never heard of people asking for negative letters of recommedations, so chances are yeah, I think thats how you do it!

I use the same phrase all the time..I just ask..

"do you feel comfortable in writing me a strong letter of recommendation?"

Yeah, pretty much ask for a strong letter of rec because it allows them to refuse politely by saying they can't write you a strong one but they could write you one.

After doing this a few times, you start being able to pick up on the enthusiasm of your professors too.

I've starting giving prospective writers an easy out, and then judging whether or not they'll write a good letter based on how enthusiastic their response is.

I asked my professors if they would write me letters of recommendation, and when they said 'yes' I asked if it would be a good letter of recommendation. I also asked them prior to them writing the letter if they had any hesitations about me going to medical school, or if they thought I needed to improve in any area before being prepared. It seemed like the more candid the conversation about how important this is to you, the more effort they will put into writing a letter that reflects who you really are. I was told at my interviews this year that my letters were great, so I think it worked! :)

I asked my professors if they would write me letters of recommendation, and when they said 'yes' I asked if it would be a good letter of recommendation. I also asked them prior to them writing the letter if they had any hesitations about me going to medical school, or if they thought I needed to improve in any area before being prepared. It seemed like the more candid the conversation about how important this is to you, the more effort they will put into writing a letter that reflects who you really are. I was told at my interviews this year that my letters were great, so I think it worked! :)

I totally agree with this advice.

I decided to tell writers that I'm a re-applicant in my cover letter and also told them what I've done to reapply. I think it shows tremendous dedication to the process.

Your advice is excellent and it's best to talk to your professors about this in person, but sometimes they're too busy. If that's the case, make sure you tell them somehow even if by cover letter.

i've heard from a few different sources that it might help to give your LOR writers a resume to help them with writing the letter. does anyone know what should go on the resume?

i've heard from a few different sources that it might help to give your LOR writers a resume to help them with writing the letter. does anyone know what should go on the resume?

The standard things. Your activites, any jobs, research experience, etc.

I broke mine down into: Education (including major, relevant GPAs, MCAT score, upper-level course work), Clinical Exposure (Volunteering and Shadowing), Research Experience, Teaching Experience, Additional Employment History, and Extracurriculars (clubs, etc.)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Another thing you might want to include with the resume and list of 'current activities' is a copy of your personal statement. That way your professors know what motivated you to want to become a physician and your story prior to writing the letter. It might help with the 'personalized letter' rather than just a standard format.

Although it is implied that a "letter of recommendation" is positive, this is medical school so i would say it has to be very positive. The exact wording i used when soliciting my letters is "...willing and able to write a very strong letter of recommendation on my behalf..."

Note: of the 7 writers i solicited, only 4 said they could write a letter that matches my specifications, that's fine as far as I am concerned.
-Roy

Exact words I used:
"Dr.______, I am applying for medical school this summer. Would you be able to write me a strong letter of recommendation that reflects my academic abilities in both lecture and lab, and also speak highly about my character and passion for science and medicine."

Reply: I would have been sad if you hadn't ask for one!

Exact words I used:
"Dr.______, I am applying for medical school this summer. Would you be able to write me a strong letter of recommendation that reflects my academic abilities in both lecture and lab, and also speak highly about my character and passion for science and medicine."

Reply: I would have been sad if you hadn't ask for one!
That's a little lengthy IMO. I try to keep the pitch down to "Hi Dr. ______. I was wondering if you'd be comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation to medical school."

The response ranges from "of course" to "depends on when it's due, but yes". The best response is when they quote it back to you and say that they can write "a strong letter".

if a faculty responds by saying he/she'll be happy to write me a letter of rec, can I assume it'll be a good one? would it be annoying if I ask if it would be strong? :oops:

haha..if the faculty says he'll be glad to write one, I don't think you should ask him if it's strong or not. It's kind of questioning his ability to write you a letter. For the next person just ask if they could write you a strong letter (that's actually how I send those emails with that word in bold). But for this one, just take the letter and see what he says. There was one professor that didn't respond to my emails so I tracked him down and asked him in person but I left out the word strong. After he finished it, he told me he had just finished writing me a strong letter and believes I will have no problem given what he sees on my CV and the awards I've received. So based off of how he interacts with you, you can tell if it'll be a strong letter or not (or at least you can guess..that's what I do).

So how are you asking your professors? I know this has been discussed a ton, but I've seen it done both ways. LizzyM says if it were her she would prefer email request, but many SDNers say go for it live.

I am definitely going to ask face to face with professors I know really well, but there's one or two that I think email would seem less awkward.

So how are you asking your professors? I know this has been discussed a ton, but I've seen it done both ways. LizzyM says if it were her she would prefer email request, but many SDNers say go for it live.

I am definitely going to ask face to face with professors I know really well, but there's one or two that I think email would seem less awkward.

I kinda think an initial request by email is a good way to go. That way you're not putting the person on the spot and it's easier for them to decline if they are at all reluctant.

If that approach is less awkward, send an email asking if they can write you a letter, and further mention that you'd like to see them to discuss it further or drop off materials if they're agreeable to the idea.

I kinda think an initial request by email is a good way to go. That way you're not putting the person on the spot and it's easier for them to decline if they are at all reluctant.

If that approach is less awkward, send an email asking if they can write you a letter, and further mention that you'd like to see them to discuss it further or drop off materials if they're agreeable to the idea.
Agreed. I prefer to do it in person simply because I feel that it's just one more e-mail in their inbox that they can mindlessly go through. For some professors, you might want to give them an easier way out/time to think about it via e-mail.

Certainly some professors are just so busy that you'll never find them in person. For those, airca is right that you should just mention that you'd be willing to meet in person if they say yes.