Asking for an interview.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmokeyBear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I called to check on the status of my application at school x to see if I can also interview there while I am in the area for another local interview. The admissions lady took my name, phone number, and the date I requested. She said she will call me back after asking the assistant dean. It has been two days. How long do the admmissions office take to get back to you for those who have requested interviews? When should I call again or email them? :scared:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone actually gotten an interview by request because they were going to be in the area? I will be in NY for the second time and still have not heard from Sinai or NYMC and was considering calling but wasn't sure. I don't particularly want to make a third or fourth trip so is it cool to do this or is it a waste of time?

wildcatbio06 said:
Has anyone actually gotten an interview by request because they were going to be in the area? I will be in NY for the second time and still have not heard from Sinai or NYMC and was considering calling but wasn't sure. I don't particularly want to make a third or fourth trip so is it cool to do this or is it a waste of time?
why don't you do it and let me know what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I have. Got the interview invite the day after (UMDNJ-RWJ, out of state applicant). Never hurts to try. Good luck!

No luck for me on this front: I interview at AECOM in dec and emailed P&S, Weill, NYU, and Sinai to ask for an interview(nicely, of course) and only Weill even responded to my email and said that they hadnt reviewed my file yet and they will make a decision when they do. Oh and I emailed those schools about a week and a half ago so I dont expect to hear from any of the others.

AAMC had their annual meeting the first week in Nov. so if you called around then, the Dean-types who make these decisions would have been out of the office and unavailable. Hold tight or call back again.

I was successful in requesting an interview at MUSC because I was planning a trip to Charleston anyway. But they had already told me that I was in the "to be interviewed" pool, and they would schedule me later on because I'm technically out of state.

I do want to mention one big caveat: I hadn't heard anything from MUSC. I was told on the phone that I would get an email. I waited a few weeks (I think it was about a month actually but I could check my mdapplicants thingy), but I still didn't hear. So this past Wednesday I emailed them (I'm supposed to interview this upcoming Friday). I didn't get a response, so yesterday I called. Only to find out that the woman had forgotten to write me down!!! Good thing I called, right? Well, not that I knew where to go or anything, because I hadn't gotten any info. So in any case the woman was incredibly nice and said she'd just add me to the list even though it's full, since it was her mistake, so it's all good. But if you get an interview in an untraditional manner, make sure to check up on it!

Thanks for the information guys!

Nas23 said:
Is the only way you can request an interview, is by being in the area?

How else can you ask for one?

Applicants are pretty much expected to wait their turn. However, most adcoms know how expensive it can be to travel half way across the country for an interview so if you are traveling to NY, Chicago, Boston, Philly, DC or one of the other cities with more than one med school you can often ask other schools that have your application on file if you can piggyback on another interview.

Scoot said:
No luck for me on this front: I interview at AECOM in dec and emailed P&S, Weill, NYU, and Sinai to ask for an interview(nicely, of course) and only Weill even responded to my email and said that they hadnt reviewed my file yet and they will make a decision when they do. Oh and I emailed those schools about a week and a half ago so I dont expect to hear from any of the others.

Update: I guess they just take a while to decide sometimes because I just got an invite from P&S!