Asking for Exception to LOE Requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ejay19955

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I stupidly thought an engineering letter would be considered non-science, and two of the schools I applied to require a non-science letter. They both e-mailed me saying they consider engineering to be science. The problem is that not only is it too late to get another letter from a humanities or social science professor, but also I maxed out on the 10-letter limit on AMCAS. There is no way I can send another letter in unless I mailed them directly which both schools forbid.

So my question is whether I should just keep mum and consider my applications at those places a waste of money (and time I put into writing secondaries T.T) or try to ask them to make an exception for me by explaining what happened. I don't know how strict those schools are with the letters requirement, and if they are not strict I don't even want to bring their attention to that matter. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

By the way I told them my non-science letter was from engineering already... so they might already have made a note on my application (if schools do keep all the correspondence with applicants). Has anybody ever negotiated with schools on the LOE requirement? How did it go?

Sure, some schools have probably let applicants bypass a requirement, but that is all subjective. Call the schools and ask. That is the only way, and no one can tell you what the outcome will be. Keeping silent shouldn't even be an option because the only outcome is the worst case scenario if you call them and ask. No brainer.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank y'all. Decided to write a polite letter requesting an exception. Fingers crossed.