Asking for Guidance for New Nontraditional Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbc1992

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm a nontraditional student coming from the field of finance. I quit my finance job and was hired as a medical scribe. I also have a second job offer working for a grocery store. The grocery store pays more but the scribe job offers great clinical experience. I also have the opportunity to volunteer as an EMR (Emergency Medical Responder). I am considering forgoing the scribe opportunity since it pays far less than the other opportunities. Do you think that I would be making a mistake? I'm not sure what else I would do for clinical experience unless the volunteer EMR training counts.

I also have taken Gchem I and GenBio I at a four-year university and received A's in both classes. However, I'm considering taking several of the prerequisites at a community college because that is what I can afford right now. Is this permissible or should I save up and try to do everything at a four-year university? I appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys! I'm a nontraditional student coming from the field of finance. I quit my finance job and was hired as a medical scribe. I also have a second job offer working for a grocery store. The grocery store pays more but the scribe job offers great clinical experience. I also have the opportunity to volunteer as an EMR (Emergency Medical Responder). I am considering forgoing the scribe opportunity since it pays far less than the other opportunities. Do you think that I would be making a mistake? I'm not sure what else I would do for clinical experience unless the volunteer EMR training counts.

I also have taken Gchem I and GenBio I at a four-year university and received A's in both classes. However, I'm considering taking several of the prerequisites at a community college because that is what I can afford right now. Is this permissible or should I save up and try to do everything at a four-year university? I appreciate any input!

Welcome :)

You'll want several hundred hours of clinical experience, paid or volunteer, prior to applying. The volunteer EMT gig should count as clinical; it's fairly common for premeds to do this as their clinical experience. So as long as they're giving you enough hours, you could do the volunteer EMT + grocery store job if that makes more financial sense for you.

4 year brick-and-mortar prerequisites > CC prerequisites, in general. Lots of medical schools don't differentiate between CC/4 year prerequisites, but there are some that do care. Others technically allow them, but only on a case-by-case basis. Because of this, I always say that if you can swing prerequisites at a university, you should do that - there's never any debate about university coursework. Having all university coursework makes your application cycle just a little bit easier.

But before you decide, I recommend subscribing to the Medical School Admissions Requirements database through the AAMC. That database has information about admissions for every US MD program, including whether CC credits are accepted or whether 4 year is "preferred". If your state/target schools are OK with CC, you're probably fine to go for the cheaper option.

PS: I financed my university postbac classes with student loans. That remains an option for you, if you want to do 4 year prereqs but can't pay the cash price. You will just tack on the $20K or whatever onto the quarter mil you take out for med school in a few years.

Agree w/Janet; you want to take your time and do this right. Go to a four year university (it doesn't have to be a prestigious university), and get straight As.

The volunteer EMT work should be fine for clinical exp., but be sure that you aren't cutting too many corners 'cause med school admissions is a game to be played.

Members don't see this ad :)
First thing is to ensure that you do not over extend yourself. Being an EMT, is no longer impressive to the Adcoms since there are so many applicants that are. You need to first focus on ensuring that you have the grades or else no amount of volunteering is going to help you. When it comes to volunteering, find something that will make you stand out of the crowd. Sure, ensuring that you have clinical exposure is important but remember, every other applicant has that too. When I was doing interviews during medical school, I did not remember anything about the applicants' clinical hours. Why, because they all melded into one. But to this day, 11 years later, I still remember the one applicant who did research on dishwashing detergent bubbles. Be THAT applicant. The one that stands out, for the right reasons, and not the one whose face melts into the crowd.

Many applicants scribe, become EMTs, work in an ER. Find your niche.

EMR > scribing. I scribed for 350 hours and left with no skills and a very scant, perfunctory description for my applications. I learned much more as a pharmacy technician about medications and how the healthcare system works. I arguably learned even more as a barista about how to communicate, work with a team and read people. (Plus I can throw some decent latte art and teach anyone how to make great coffee at home.) The latter two experiences I imagine were much more interesting on my applications and in interviews because I had to apply myself more.

From a practical standpoint, make as much money as possible as long as you can leave room to get the required ECs. Adcoms will understand. We all have bills to pay.

I'm gonna add a different perspective as a non-trad career changer, at least specifically regarding college credits.

I took several of my pre-reqs at a community college and leaned heavily into the non-traditional narrative / moonlighting to complete the process. By all means feel free to reach out to schools too about what they will / will not accept. I'm happy to give more details if you want to shoot me a message.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users