asking for LoR & applying to multiple residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgomedical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am coming to the end of my third year of medical school and it's time for me get LoR for residency programs.
I have only recently decided that I want to go into Psych and I had psych rotation in December. Back then, I did not really consider psych and did not ask for recommendation letter from my attending.
I know that I will need at least one letter from from psych attending and I don't have another psych rotation until August.
Do you think it is appropriate for me to send an email when asking for recommendation letter? or should I visit the attending in person and ask for the recommendation letter?

Also, since there are only few DO psych residency programs out there, it'd be inevitable for me to apply to MD psych programs. However, I don't want to NOT apply to DO match and end up scrambling. I know for sure that I will also apply to family medicine DO programs as well. Is it unusual for a person to apply to more than one specialty? It's not that I am not serious about either fields; I just want to avoid not matching at any residency programs... Is it very unusual for a person to apply to more than one specialty? and do you have any advice in stating that you're applying to more than one specialty in asking for LoR? (ie: "I have not fully made up my mind in picking one specialty, and I would appreciate it if you could write your letter non-specialty specific.")

I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Go in person to the attending you had in December, bring your CV and ask them if they can write you a strong letter of recommendation.

It is not that uncommon to apply to more than one specialty. Make sure your letters that go to FM don't mention that you are going to be the greatest psychiatrist of all time.

Asking for a generic specialty LOR is perfectly fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, speak with your attending in person - and ask them for a date when you can remind them in case they forget. You're not going to not match psych if you interview well and have a decent score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar concern . Psych for me is number one. But there are not that many Psych DO residency programs . So I am planning to take Step 2 and apply ACMGE. FYI I bombed level 1 (422). Did not take Step 1 . Any advice? Whats my chances of matching?

I have a similar concern . Psych for me is number one. But there are not that many Psych DO residency programs . So I am planning to take Step 2 and apply ACMGE. FYI I bombed level 1 (422). Did not take Step 1 . Any advice? Whats my chances of matching?
Psych is actually quite DO friendly and you'll find plenty of ACGME programs that have no issues accepting COMLEX-only apps. My friend matched ACGME (didn't even apply Osteopathic) with COMLEX only and both scores under 450 - key would be apply early and apply broadly (he applied to 60+ programs and did 12 interviews, although he turned down a bunch more) and demonstrate a real interest in psychiatry in your LORs and personal statement.

If you want more info, read this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/faqs-for-dos-interested-in-psychiatry-residency.992027/. You'll find it's not as bad as you think it is.

Last edited:
Psych is actually quite DO friendly and you'll find plenty of ACGME programs that have no issues accepting COMLEX-only apps. My friend matched ACGME (didn't even apply Osteopathic) with COMLEX only and both scores under 450 - key would be apply early and apply broadly (he applied to 60+ programs and did 12 interviews, although he turned down a bunch more) and demonstrate a real interest in psychiatry in your LORs and personal statement.

If you want more info, read this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/faqs-for-dos-interested-in-psychiatry-residency.992027/. You'll find it's not as bad as you think it is.
thanks … Didn't think ACGME was an option for me :)