asking for LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucizotzot

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if you guys would give your profs your transcript when asking for LOR's. i have a very obvious upward climb in my grades after my soph year (bio:3.3 to a 3.85)thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ucizotzot said:
i was wondering if you guys would give your profs your transcript when asking for LOR's. i have a very obvious upward climb in my grades after my soph year (bio:3.3 to a 3.85)thanks

your professor, if he wants to see your transcript, will ask for it. Generally, the best letter-writing-professors don't need a transcript, they know how to play the LOR game w/o it; if you have a choice, get LORs from profs that don't ask for transcripts, from my experience those that do are second-rate.

I disagree. If you have decent grades, give them the transcript...it will allow the professor to get a better picture about how serious a student you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would not only give him the transcript, but your resume, and the personal statement

rocknightmare said:
i would not only give him the transcript, but your resume, and the personal statement

I agree. That's exactly what I did. The most in-depth LOR I received was from a prof. that asked for my transcript.

Besides, with the grades you have, and upward trend, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

What if you are ashamed of a few grades? :oops:

Gurl21 said:
What if you are ashamed of a few grades? :oops:

no need to be, cough up the transcript if yoru professor asks, but if he has things to talk about based on what he knows of you, it shouldnt' matter how well you do or don't do in the other classes....

I had a LOR from a bio class professor, it was my highest science grade (B+)... he asked for my transcript, i provided, his comment was "boy you sure love those Cs and Ws, not a studier are we?" :rolleyes: but still, he wrote me a very good letter. The point is professors know how the game is played, and they want to help you, so they're not goign to write a dis-recommendation letter.

I gave each of my letter writers a folder containing a short cover letter, copy of my transcript, curriculum vitae, the AADSAS form, and a pre-addressed envelope (and proper forms) to my school's LOR file service. I also made sure to meet with them, so they could ask any questions or get to know me a little better/refresh their memory. I think they all appreciated having the information in front of them, even if they decided not to reference all of it. I was advised by the career center to ask the profs point-blank whether they felt comfortable writing a strong letter for me. I couldn't get up the nerve to do it, but I think it's a good idea -- I think professors will generally be honest, and should WANT to write you a great letter... if they can't see through a couple bad grades or minor flaws, it's important to find someone else!

i would, for at least the BCP classes. my school actually had it organized where we HAD to give each of the LOR teachers a packet on us which contained our GPA, individual classes and grades, and a minor biography. of all, i think the bio helps the teacher the most to generate the LOR for you. granted, it was also a little embarrassing for me to give them that packet, because i had quite a few c's littered throughout the BCP classes :laugh: