Asking PDs where you stand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmike1983

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it appropriate to ask a PD how they will rank you, at least if it is higher or lower on the list? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Is it appropriate to ask a PD how they will rank you, at least if it is higher or lower on the list? Thank you

No, you can't ask where they will rank you. You could ask them a vague question like, "how did my interview day go," or something like that. But you can't ask for ranking info, that would be like them asking you where you are going to rank the program. Information like this can be offered without coercion, but cannot be requested.

I just wanted to get a general picture of whether I would be low or high on the list because I was low on the list then I wouldnt waist my time going for a second look at that particular program.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about if you are offered a prematch at another location - not that I have just curious. Is it acceptable to contact other programs you may be very interested in before agreeing to withdraw from the match?

What about if you are offered a prematch at another location - not that I have just curious. Is it acceptable to contact other programs you may be very interested in before agreeing to withdraw from the match?

You can ask about prematch because that is outside the match, thus not really bound by the same rules. Whether you can ask, "I have a prematch offer at program X, can you tell me if I am ranked high enough to match at your program?" I don't think you probably could. You can tell a program you like that you have a prematch offer somewhere else and that you prefer their program. Maybe they will then offer you a prematch spot also.

NRMP has published guidelines, you should read these.

I just wanted to get a general picture of whether I would be low or high on the list because I was low on the list then I wouldnt waist my time going for a second look at that particular program.

How about if you called the program and asked them about a second look? I know someone who called a program for a second look and they pretty much told him he was welcome to drop by but they weren't ranking him.

Point is, they don't want to waste their own time with you unless you've made the short list.