stand alone e-prescription platform

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipotrader

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use any stand alone e-prescription software or platform?

Yes, pathologists do not usually prescribe. But sometimes friends ask for a favor, or family members need a medication before they can see PCP, or need some antibiotics for ourselves. I know self-prescription is not encouraged, but I don't think it is a huge deal as long as we don't do that often and don't prescribe controlled substance. Did anyone try any cheap stand alone e-prescription platform? Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, pathologists do not usually prescribe. But sometimes friends ask for a favor, or family members need a medication before they can see PCP, or need some antibiotics for ourselves. I know self-prescription is not encouraged, but I don't think it is a huge deal as long as we don't do that often and don't prescribe controlled substance. Did anyone try any cheap stand alone e-prescription platform? Any recommendations?
Just go to an urgent care. They are on every corner and literally are open 24/7. No questions from the medical board, no cost of setting up some kind of illicit pill mill and the nurse working there will still give you whatever you want.

Reactions: 4 users

The few times I've prescribed anything I just call CVS and do it over the phone. Very easy to do, you just need all the pertinent info (the patient's, the prescriber's, and the drug info) including your NPI.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In California starting January 2022, pharmacies only accept electronic prescriptions (unless its an emergency on the weekend). I have used iPrescribe which was free when I used it 9 months ago. I don't know if that is still the case.

The best part is when friends now ask, I have an easy out and tell them I cannot give them a prescription. I tell them to go to an Urgent Care where they probably need to be seen anyway.

Slippery slope. Don't prescribe
Depends on your background and comfort zone. I did an internship and 3 years “general practice “ and “simple “ non controlled meds were no biggie. But we just used script pads. Guess those are gone.

Slippery slope. Don't prescribe
Why is it a slippery slope? A few antibiotics on the weekend or holiday for friends or family members, aren't we better than the NPs or PAs at the urgent care clinics? I don't think a Z-pack for a friend will become a malpractice issue anyway. BUT just wondering though, how does the state medical board know that a doctor self-prescribe, for example? Does the pharmacy send all prescription info to the state medical board for review? That would be an enormous job for the medical board, I don't think they have the manpower to handle that. The other question is, if the pharmacy allows the call in prescription, how do they verify it is actually from a doctor's office? The NPI number is widely available on the internet, anyone can pose as a caller from the doctor's office. The few times I wrote a script, nobody ever sent me a monthly or yearly prescription history summary. So even if someone prescribed using my NPI number, I have no way to find out. I think that's possibly the reason why some states require e-prescription.

Reactions: 1 user
Why is it a slippery slope? A few antibiotics on the weekend or holiday for friends or family members, aren't we better than the NPs or PAs at the urgent care clinics? I don't think a Z-pack for a friend will become a malpractice issue anyway. BUT just wondering though, how does the state medical board know that a doctor self-prescribe, for example? Does the pharmacy send all prescription info to the state medical board for review? That would be an enormous job for the medical board, I don't think they have the manpower to handle that. The other question is, if the pharmacy allows the call in prescription, how do they verify it is actually from a doctor's office? The NPI number is widely available on the internet, anyone can pose as a caller from the doctor's office. The few times I wrote a script, nobody ever sent me a monthly or yearly prescription history summary. So even if someone prescribed using my NPI number, I have no way to find out. I think that's possibly the reason why some states require e-prescription.
You are not supposed to prescribe for anyone but a "patient" with proper medical records and documentation. And the "Z-pack" becomes prozac, then ambien, then oxycodone (just this once, I hurt my back bad) etc.

Dave, writing rx’s is not an addiction.

Tuinal? Please! That can be dangerous. But, seconol was always appropriate.
And, there used to be some nifty barb/amphetamine combos without all the inconvenient
”controls“ and silly “schedules“.🥳😉

Tuinal? Please! That can be dangerous. But, seconol was always appropriate.
And, there used to be some nifty barb/amphetamine combos without all the inconvenient
”controls“ and silly “schedules“.🥳😉
I know. Folks are so uptight these days!!!