Asking schools why you got accepted/rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckeyegal1129

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know most schools say that you can't ask them why they rejected you until the end of the app cycle...but does anyone know of any earlier exceptions/instances where people found out early?

Related to that, is it okay to ask a school why they accepted you? Just curious!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean tbh even if they give you an answer it'll probably be the cop out "too many qualified applicants" line....I wouldn't put too much stock in any feedback they give.

Why would you ever ask someone to reconsider why they accepted you? ;)

Reactions: 1 users
They accepted you bc they like you...not sure what any other answer you would want

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools are pretty stringent on waiting to help. They don't really need to, and they also are busy with their other applicants/students. It's a courtesy to us as applicants, by no means an obligation.

And a school will likely roll their collective eyes at you if you ask why they didn't accept you (if you hold another offer), or why they did accept you. I think it would come across as needing too much reinforcement and praise. The acceptance should be enough.

Reactions: 1 user
You get accepted because they think that you'll make a good medical student, add something to their Class, and will make a good doctor.

So I know most schools say that you can't ask them why they rejected you until the end of the app cycle...but does anyone know of any earlier exceptions/instances where people found out early?

Related to that, is it okay to ask a school why they accepted you? Just curious!

Reactions: 4 users
As someone mentioned above, schools (except Jefferson) will be reluctant to tell you why you were rejected for a variety of reasons. Even if they do tell you, it's nothing that you haven't already figured out/know. Last cycle, I was able to get responses from 3 schools. One said my MCAT is too low, the other told me that my MCAT is okay and my GPA is too low, and the third just told me that there were too many qualified applicants.

It's very important to understand that getting rejected doesn't necessarily mean they think you won't make a good doctor. It might mean that maybe your goals aren't exactly what the school's strengths line up with.

You get accepted because they think that you'll make a good medical student, add something to their Class, and will make a good doctor.
It takes true gems to see allllll that through the nervous wrecks on interview day :D :D :D

No school in the world will tell you "you ****ed up you interview"....or that you had a bad LOR.
I understand the bad LOR part, but what's up with not telling an applicant that they messed up on the interview? Is it because of litigious reasons?

:rofl:

Med school: Congratulations, we're very happy to offer you admission to our medical school for the fall of 2017!

You: ..........but why tho?

Reactions: 10 users
As someone mentioned above, schools (except Jefferson) will be reluctant to tell you why you were rejected for a variety of reasons. Even if they do tell you, it's nothing that you haven't already figured out/know. Last cycle, I was able to get responses from 3 schools. One said my MCAT is too low, the other told me that my MCAT is okay and my GPA is too low, and the third just told me that there were too many qualified applicants.
Did you just bandwagon and change your avatar to a kitty?