Asking too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmniarb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, what do you think someone's chances are, assuming good grades and MCAT scores, research, extracurricular, yada, yada of
1. getting into a top 10 medical school
and
2. getting into their first choice spot for a neurosurgery residency?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are dumb enough to ask such a *****ic question as that, then I would say don't count on either of those two.

I hope that is helpful.

Hypothetically speaking, what do you think someone's chances are, assuming good grades and MCAT scores, research, extracurricular, yada, yada of
and

For medical school I think it matters how good their grades really are and if they are able to stand out amongst other good candidates, it's kind of hard to put a percentage on that. As for the second, it depends on what said persons first choice spot is. Have you managed to pull off both?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are dumb enough to ask such a *****ic question as that, then I would say don't count on either of those two.

I hope that is helpful.

:thumbup::thumbup:

For medical school I think it matters how good their grades really are and if they are able to stand out amongst other good candidates, it's kind of hard to put a percentage on that. As for the second, it depends on what said persons first choice spot is. Have you managed to pull off both?

yes

so you are going through the neurosurgery phase right now.

then what the heck are you doing on a premed forum?:rolleyes:

then what the heck are you doing on a premed forum?:rolleyes:

I was
A. reminiscing the good ol' times when i was applying
B. trying to prove my point that a lot of the comments on these forums are a bit pessimistic and not very helpful. Except for you, aRnonymous, who seemed to really be trying to answer the question. When I was applying, I really relied on the advice of my peers and could really use the inspiration brought on by those who have successfully been through the process and can let those applying know that even things that seem unlikely, are indeed possible.
C. I was taking a break from Facebook.
D. All of the above.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was
B. trying to prove my point that a lot of the comments on these forums are a bit pessimistic and not very helpful. Except for you, aRnonymous, who seemed to really be trying to answer the question. When I was applying, I really relied on the advice of my peers and could really use the inspiration brought on by those who have successfully been through the process and can let those applying know that even things that seem unlikely, are indeed possible.
D. All of the above.
is this a question??........I choose C

I was
D. All of the above.

Why didn't you just make a thread expressing that, instead of a lame one asking about your chances of getting into a Top 10 and of getting into a NS from there? :rolleyes:

I was
D. All of the above.

That hypothetical premed of yours is a PREMED trying to get into a top neurosurgery program. How can you call him anything but an idiot? What do you want us to tell him? go get good grades? any idiot can use the search function to know that.

It's not that we're not helpful. We're sick of the ******ed threads that seem to pop up every now and then, by posters who have done NO research whatsoever, and are expecting us to give them a "map" they can follow to whatever ******ed career they have in mind.

I'm really sorry to hijack this thread, but seeing as it wasn't serious in the first place, I have a serious question that I need input on. I used to give myself serious lesions and personal contusions in order to get the adrenaline running and to make myself feel alive. I realized that I was mentally unhealthy so I went through a journey where I tried to find myself and where I belonged in the world. I enlisted in the military, played Ping-Pong in the Olympics, was the commander of a Shrimp-boat, and invested in a fruit company that gave me more than enough money to afford medical school.

My question is this, do you think it's okay if I center my personal statement around the fact that I used to give myself bruises? I think it's the only thing that's really interesting about my life. Thank you very much in advance.

I'm really sorry to hijack this thread, but seeing as it wasn't serious in the first place, I have a serious question that I need input on. I used to give myself serious lesions and personal contusions in order to get the adrenaline running and to make myself feel alive. I realized that I was mentally unhealthy so I went through a journey where I tried to find myself and where I belonged in the world. I enlisted in the military, played Ping-Pong in the Olympics, was the commander of a Shrimp-boat, and invested in a fruit company that gave me more than enough money to afford medical school.

My question is this, do you think it's okay if I center my personal statement around the fact that I used to give myself bruises? I think it's the only thing that's really interesting about my life. Thank you very much in advance.
DIdnt you get the congressional medal of honor as well?

Hurting yourself was the only interesting thing about your life?

Don't forget you are now a single father. You also have an easy point for your motivation to enter medicine in that your wife died of AIDS.

and

I'd say with those qualifications chances of a top 10 med school are probably about 95%, chances of first choice neurosurgery residency slightly lower, maybe 85%. There just aren't that many premeds out there who have all of those things. If you manage to pull off good grades, plus good MCAT, research, and extracurricular....the world is your oyster.

People will answer a serious question with a serious answer. Asking how likely it is to get into a top 10 med school with "normal" stats (whatever that means) is not a serious question in my book.

I think point B is a good point, but people who are incapable of doing even basic research will not be well-received on this forum.