ASL Major + Premed. Thoughts? Experiences? Insights? Stories? Anything!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curlyafroonaps

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I have a situation and I am not exactly sure what to do.
I'm going to graduate this year out of high school and looking forward to college...ahh, and that pre-med "life".
I am currently a new beginner in American Sign Language. I discovered this beautiful language last year but didn't know how to get started. Well, this year I asked around and met some teachers who knew ASL, and got introduced to some really cool websites. So my friends and I decided to start an ASL club. We love the idea of signing (the little signs we know, although our signing vocab is growing), attending deaf socials (even if we know very little signs), and the deaf culture.

Originally, my college major plan had been Cellular Biology because it would fulfill all my medical school prerequisites and better prepare me for the MCAT. Well, I've been doing some research and it turns out, and I'm sure many of you already know this (I'm just late), that majoring in a non-science major won't put you at a disadvantage when it comes to the MCAT just as majoring in a science major won't give you the upper advantage. (well, except for those biomedical engineers...)

Don't get me wrong, I love science and I do enjoy it.
But the general idea I get from a lot of these forums and premed websites is to major in something that you will love EVERYDAY, and that will challenge you, reward you, ignite passion in you, excite you, etc. For some people, that is Neuroscience or Molecular Biology or Prestidigitation. For me, I think that is going to be ASL.
I've just never met a pre-med ASL major, and was hoping I could meet people like this and so they can share their stories?
I'm also worried because I'm still a new at signing and I don't know how it'll work with me taking premed courses and becoming fluent in a new language. Plus, I was also thinking of working towards an interpreter certification (and that is what the ASL program at my state school prepares you for). I heard majoring in ASL is hard.
On top of that, I'm even exploring the possibility of internships at hospitals around deaf communities or affiliated with the deaf culture during my college years , but I don't really know how that will be possible.

Other things?
1. My dad insists I must have a fall back plan in case I do not get accepted the first time. What I don't think he realizes is that being a doctor means a whole lot to me and I'll keep trying. Anyways, he says that there are no jobs in the ASL interpreting field. I was thinking that I could have this as a way to pay for med school so this actually concerns me. He thinks I should minor in it and find me another major that will help me in both scenarios.

2.My ACT score of 25. I remember going to a college visit and going to the pre-med booth and somebody there asked me my act score. He said that my act score is actually one way to determine what I could possibly get on the MCAT and if I could handle the medical school route. I'm a motivated hardworker in all of my classes (3.9GPA, AP and Advanced classes ), I'm dedicated to a few ECs, am part of the volunteer board at the Saint Joseph Hospital near me, so it sucks when someone tells you that you won't be able to handle these next four years because of a score. So does ACT score determines MCAT score? How can I improve my standardized test-taking skills because I know for sure that is something that is really important.

3. The University of Rochester. Anyone goes there? Sounds like an AWESOME school if your interested in deaf studies. I'm going to apply to that school; it sucks that I've just heard about it. Are there summer programs that would help me get clinical experience but enhance my ASL skills, and meet awesome deaf/hard of hearing people?

So I just wanted to hear what you guys thought of this. Do I have a chance? I'm sorry for just putting this all out, the future does excite me and also kinda makes me a bit nervous. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Relax. A bio major is hardly a backup these days. Major in ASL if you enjoy it. Your ACT is not predictive of your MCAT unless you allow it to be.